[Drama 2009] Queen Seon Deok 선덕여왕

Guest White Star

Guest luthien

After 5 episodes, I'm loving this drama so far!

Just a question, Mi-Shil has three sons so far right?

The one she had with the dethroned king.. then the one with Seol-won who grew up to be very active in Hwarang.. then that one who always sticks to his uncle (Jung Woong In)..

It's kinda strange... It's common for male in period dramas to have children with different mothers, but this one has it the other way around?

I'm growing more attached to Princess Chun Myung. She has such a sad life. At least Deokman grew up with freedom for the past 15 years. Meanwhile, Chun Myung was tormented, and now a widow at her very young age... I like her guts for leaving the palace and even search for Munno herself.

Finally got to see more of Jo Min Ki. :wub: So sad that he can't protect anything and anyone else..and he's clingin to his only hope... Chun Myung.. I love that scene with the two of them. So hard for her to choose between her father and husband (who also supports her father).. she can't have/protect them both :tears:

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest garnet07

The one she had with the dethroned king.. then the one with Seol-won who grew up to be very active in Hwarang.. then that one who always sticks to his uncle (Jung Woong In)..

It's kinda strange... It's common for male in period dramas to have children with different mothers, but this one has it the other way around?

I know right?!!! From the other historical dramas I've seen, the women were always secondary and always has either the motherly or conniving role (not as intense as Mishil) . But I'm not understanding why in this drama, all the males succumb to her every bidding. Like has she slept with every single male there is in the palace?!!! Yet no one dares say anything about it like how she's such a w-h-o-r-e and a witch.

I really want Deokman and Princess Chun Myung to join forces already and kick her off the court. Oh, I'm also loving the actress playing Deokman. Her cute and tomboyish personality but strong and curious self. :)

Guest MisterX

After 5 episodes, I'm loving this drama so far!

yep.

Mishil + King Jinji = Bidam (later Kim Nam-Gil)

Mishil + Sejong = Hajong (Kim Jung-Hyun)

Mishil + Seolwon = Bojong (Kwak Jung-Wook, later Baek Do-Bin)

And about a hundred nephews and nieces to boot.

Guest thunderbolt

*bows 1000x apologetically*

Did not mean to cause a major upheavel with my trivial comment in jest. Please continue in the manner that all of you deem fit and feel comfortable with, PLEEEEEEZZZZEEEEEE.

Hmm, why should you apologize? :mellow: You spoke up on behalf of many people who have felt excluded/alienated. English isn't the first language for a lot of folks here, but they try their darndest to communicate because this is an English forum.

Just my two cents, don't kill me. Peace out.

yep.

Mishil + King Jinji = Bidam (later Kim Nam-Gil)

Mishil + Sejong = Hajong (Kim Jung-Hyun)

Mishil + Seolwon = Bojong (Kwak Jung-Wook, later Baek Do-Bin)

And about a hundred nephews and nieces to boot.

LOL....Mishil has 3 sons of different father, her brother has at least 86 children........I wonder how many wives has he or just as anyone who comes along? :o

It runs in the bloodline? :rolleyes:

Guest MisterBarca

:) A very inspirational story, that people will love it. I will enjoy watching this drama, big hit of this is no question ask. I like the dress of Sung Yuri, very pretty and lady like, I hope I can have it also.

Seong Yuri?

Wrong drama.

Guest luthien

LOL....Mishil has 3 sons of different father, her brother has at least 86 children........I wonder how many wives has he or just as anyone who comes along? :o

It runs in the bloodline? :rolleyes:

AT LEAST 86????!!! :blink: Then that would mean at least 2 children a year were born... wow..

아나키스, thanks for the clarification. I need to get the family straightened out so I can understand what's going on (or at least concentrate better)

Guest garnet07

AT LEAST 86????!!! :blink: Then that would mean at least 2 children a year were born... wow..

아나키스, thanks for the clarification. I need to get the family straightened out so I can understand what's going on (or at least concentrate better)

Ewww who the @&!(@ would want to marry that guy?!!

Guest MisterX

is this a decent book?

41N6PZAHqCL._SS500_.jpg

link

Just a translation of the Samguk Yusa, it appears. I don't know if there's any commentary aside from the chronicles, but if it's just barebones translation of the original, then it's not going to help much (although it should be a decent read). Since most of these are legends, you need to interpret them carefully (like the Jumong legend needs to be seen in light of Totemism/Sun worship of the period to be truly understood), and having the Samguk Sagi (a proper historical record, this one is just chronicles and legends) to compare and contrast would definitely help.

I don't agree with a LOT of what he writes here, and it's wildly simplistic, but as an introduction to Korean history, koreanhistoryproject.org is always a good read. You can start from there to get the basics (mostly Joseon based, but there's some info about the Three Kingdoms as well), then delve a little deeper if you're interested. To be perfectly honest, if you stray off academic texts (dissertations and the like), there's very little about Korean history worth reading in English. Hell, even in Korean you need to breathe the stench of colonial consciousness (식민사관), "irreverent" poseurs like Lee Deok-Il (재야사관), and the Hwandan Gogi insanity (환빠) before you find the rare goods. Not too easy.

Guest dramaok

By the way, who is 박용우? I looked him up, and he was supposed in "무인시대," but I don't recall him. Wait, was he the guy who played 경대승? If so, yikes.

ya no he's not that familiar in terms of tv roles. more of a film guy i suppose he is most famous (in terms of tv appearance) as the scumball lover of han gain in that one kbs wkend drama 애정의 조건. i don't get a leading male in sageuk vibe from him at all but i'm glad that HHJ is back.

Hmm, why should you apologize? :mellow: You spoke up on behalf of many people who have felt excluded/alienated. English isn't the first language for a lot of folks here, but they try their darndest to communicate because this is an English forum.

Just my two cents, don't kill me. Peace out.

ok i thought you read korean too. there are lots of ppl in soompi who are not koreans but read korean like koalabear, cindy, so forth and i thought you were too, but that aside, in terms of 'disccusion' in this thread .. it's not really that much no one really discusses a whole lot so i don't know who the 'many people' are. maybe the lurkers? hm.. and another thing the korean usage was not even a lot not really the discussion either. more like a few words here and there used as accessories like emoticons so i don't know about the 'feeling excluded alienated' thing. i mean that's pretty dramatic. it's funny ppl bring in content in korean in here all the time like music, the actually episodes, and ngs and everything that are all in korean only and ppl come in here to get them cuz (i assume) they know korean or are very interested in korean so it strikes me as weird that we're even talking about this as an issue. it's like if the korean language content comes from a non-korean then it's all ok or what? but god forbit if it comes from a korean without english attached. ok i'm annoyed now.

20090614 Happy Time

thx!!!

Guest MisterX

ya no he's not that familiar in terms of tv roles. more of a film guy i suppose he is most famous (in terms of tv appearance) as the scumball lover of han gain in that one kbs wkend drama 애정의 조건. i don't get a leading male in sageuk vibe from him at all but i'm glad that HHJ is back.

He was hilarious as Choi Jin-Shil's wannabe boyfriend in 아파트 (1996). Started on TV, really, but he moved to films later.

Sageuk? He'll do great. Gyeong Dae-Seung in Age of Warriors is still his career highlight (and the best part of the show, really), and he also was awesome in Blood Rain.

Guest dramaok

oh i did see apt and mooin but i dont' remember him in it. but apt was a longggg time ago.

he is handsome for sure though. and i've seen in movies too .. great actor.

Guest MisterBarca

He was hilarious as Choi Jin-Shil's wannabe boyfriend in 아파트 (1996). Started on TV, really, but he moved to films later.

Sageuk? He'll do great. Gyeong Dae-Seung in Age of Warriors is still his career highlight (and the best part of the show, really), and he also was awesome in Blood Rain.

You actually thought 경대승 was well-acted? Wow, we differ dramatically here. I thought (as well as several Korean friends I've talked to who have seen the drama) the 경대승 role was by far the weakest link of the five main characters from 이의방 to 최충헌!

Archived