Song Seung Hun 송승헌

Admin

Saimdang episode 7 preview: Lee Gyum to receive secret message through young Woo

In episode 7 of Saimdang, Hyun ryong might risk his life to find out the hidden meaning behind his grand father's message.

Saimdang

Shin Saimdang with her youngest son Woo in Saimdang episode 6Twitter/SBS

Saimdang: Light's Diary, which is also known as Saimdang: The Herstory, will be back with episode 7 this Wednesday, February 15, at 10pm KST on SBS. Lee Gyum and Seo Ji-yoon are likely to feature new challenges because of Min Chi-hyung and professor Min Jung-hak.

Episode 6 of the Korean mini-series mostly focused on flashback sequences. It began by featuring a conversation between the onscreen couple, which inspired the male protagonist to look back at his cheerful young age.

When Song Seung-heon's character began painting and started attracting people towards him, ministers raised their disagreement to King Joongjong. But the ruler encouraged him and gave him the permission to stay in a large property owned by Royal Family in Sujinbang.

In the meantime, Lee Won-soo returned home and Hyun ryong confronted Shin Saimdang for not sending him to Jungbu School. When his mother explained him about their financial crisis, he left the house taking his younger brother with him.

While searching for her children at the newly formed art school, the female lead met the male antagonist Min Chi-hyung and it reminded her of his evil doings in the past.

The promo for episode 7 shows Lee Young-ae's character writing a secret message to her former lover alerting him about Whieumdang Choi's husband. It also shows Lee Gyum asking his helper to gather all the information about the low-level official.

In the meantime, Hyun ryong finds a letter in Shin Myung-hwa's book and his mother asks him not to disclose it to anybody. Later on, he gets involved in an argument with Oh Yoon-ah's character.

The sneak peek also shows professor Min Jung-hak confronting Seo Ji-yoon about her secret research work. "It was not enough for you to ruin the seminar with the Keumkangsando? What are you up to?" he asks her.

Watch Saimdang episode 7 this Wednesday at 10pm KST to know more about it. Until then, catch up with the first six episodes of the Korean mini-series online here.

Check out the official trailer for the period drama below:

Drama viewership ratings for the week of Feb. 6-12, 2017

dramaratings_2.jpg

Saimdang, Light’s Diary is seeing something of a slump. It’s still netting double digits at least, which is no small feat, but its producers (and actors) had to have been expecting better.

(skipped unrelated.....)

Wednesday, Feb. 8      
Chief Kim 5 KBS 15.5%
Missing 9 7 MBC 3.8%
Saimdang, Light’s Diary 5 SBS 10.7%
Thursday, Feb. 9      
Chief Kim 6 KBS 16.7%
Missing 9 8 MBC 4.4%
Saimdang, Light’s Diary 6 SBS 12.0%

LINK here : http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/02/drama-viewership-ratings-for-the-week-of-feb-6-12-2017/

@willenette

"Saimdang gives a whole different vibe cause the main character are older, have kids so there’s no fantasy romance or working through the muddy road that usually hooked younger viewer and the slow build up doesn’t do much for many people."

I agree with the comment above.

i really hope ssh will have another good drama after this.

31 minutes ago, Mari95 said:

@willenette

"Saimdang gives a whole different vibe cause the main character are older, have kids so there’s no fantasy romance or working through the muddy road that usually hooked younger viewer and the slow build up doesn’t do much for many people."

I agree with the comment above.

i really hope ssh will have another good drama after this.

Hi Mari, like you, I also hope that his next project will be a good one. So many people/fans have many expectations from this drama because of the female lead. Actually,”Saimdang" actually kicked off strong, with first two episodes.  But its ratings dropped for three-straight broadcasts. Now, I wonder if from (24) EPs the show will be re-edited up to episode 14. Do you think will this give any impact on the show?  I guess this won't be an easy task. Many have complained that the plot was slow and disconnected. I wonder if the edit rework will rejuvenate the show. I also hope that it will pick up the pace with the appearance of SSH now. This is the reason why I watch the drama is mainly for him. I hope the ratings will begin in earnest from this week, though.  :lol:

(News Focus) Can a re-edit save 'Saimdang' from its downward spiral?

2017/02/14 16:22

• By Chang Dong-woo and Youn Go-eun

SEOUL, Feb. 14 (Yonhap) -- Unless you've managed expectations, by now its safe to say that "Saimdang, Memoir of Colors," SBS TV's ambitious fantasy period drama starring Lee Young-ae, has yielded underwhelming results.

The 30-episode show centers on Shin Saimdang (1504-1551), Korea's maternal icon associated with raising the Korean Confucian scholar Yulgok of the Joseon Dynasty. The series made headlines for bringing Lee of the famed show "Daejanggeum" back to TV for the first time in 14 years.

A promotional image for "Saimdang, Memoir of Colors" provided by SBS TV (Yonhap)A promotional image for "Saimdang, Memoir of Colors" provided by SBS TV (Yonhap)

"Saimdang" actually kicked off strong, with first two episodes scoring 15.6 percent and 16.3 percent nationwide viewerships, respectively.

But its ratings dropped for three-straight broadcasts until rebounding slightly in last week's episode six. And as the show bled viewers, many have gravitated towards rival office comedy series "Good Manager" on KBS 2TV.

Thus "Saimdang" clearly has a serious issue at hand, a "too big to fail" problem for the network, especially with 24 episodes remaining for the show being broadcast simultaneously in many parts around the world.

So what do the showrunners do? They decided to re-edit the entirety of the series for a much more engaging and impactful viewing experience.

According to SBS TV, the show has been re-edited up to episode 14.

"We are editing the show so that it has more impact. We are revising and complementing the plot to lift its tempo and also rearranging episodes," an official at SBS TV said.

This composite image captured from SBS TV's "Saimdang, Memoir of Colors" shows the series' main cast. (Yonhap)This composite image captured from SBS TV's "Saimdang, Memoir of Colors" shows the series' main cast. (Yonhap)

Reworking "Saimdang" won't be an easy task, to say the least. The series' plot moves along two different time lines -- one in modern day and one in Joseon era when the actual Shin Saimdang lived -- and is supposedly intricately interwoven.

Aesthetically, "Saimdang" is shot beautifully, showcasing some of the most picturesque cinematography in recent TV shows. And watching Lee glow back on TV in a hanbok is a rare treat in itself.

But at the same time, many have complained that the plot was slow and disconnected, even raising issues with the performance of actress Park Hye-soo, who played the young Shin Saimdang.

The show's team is betting big that an edit rework will rejuvenate the show.

"The plot will pick up the pace with the appearance of Song Seung-heon (Lee's counterpart) and a discord structure set in place," a person involved in the production said.

This promotional image provided by SBS TV shows actor Song Seung-heon as Lee Gyeom in "Saimdang, Memoir of Colors." (Yonhap)This promotional image provided by SBS TV shows actor Song Seung-heon as Lee Gyeom in "Saimdang, Memoir of Colors." (Yonhap)

Song plays Saimdang's Joseon Dynasty admirer Lee Gyeom, a fictional character created for the show. Song has been credited for the boosting the show's rating in episode six.

In order to add momentum, SBS TV last week made the series' first four episodes available free online until Monday, while airing a special daytime episode last week recapping the plot to-date for latecomers to the series.

SBS TV said the free shows and the special episode were to help viewers better understand the plot and assure them that the "Saimdang" story will begin in earnest from this week.

4 hours ago, willenette said:

Do you think will this give any impact on the show?  I guess this won't be an easy task. Many have complained that the plot was slow and disconnected. I wonder if the edit rework will rejuvenate the show. I also hope that it will pick up the pace with the appearance of SSH now. This is the reason why I watch the drama is mainly for him. I hope the ratings will begin in earnest from this week, though.  :lol:

Same, i watch this drama only for SSH. 

I think same with you, It's not easy task. No fantasy romance in this drama. The plot of two era is not attractive anymore. I'm worried about the rating of next episode. Many netizens said they give up watching Saimdang. I'm sad for SSH. He was hardly appear before episode 6, but netizen already drop this drama.

On 2/14/2017 at 9:24 PM, Mari95 said:

Same, i watch this drama only for SSH. 

I think same with you, It's not easy task. No fantasy romance in this drama. The plot of two era is not attractive anymore. I'm worried about the rating of next episode. Many netizens said they give up watching Saimdang. I'm sad for SSH. He was hardly appear before episode 6, but netizen already drop this drama.

Hi Mari, ahhh..........the drama decreased below 10%.  According to Nielsen Korea, it rated 9.7% per last night's EP, February 15. This is 2.3% lower than the previous episode.:(

February 16, 2017

Lee Young-ae's 'Saimdang' rating plummets to single digit

SEOUL, Feb. 16 (Yonhap) -- SBS TV's high budget series "Saimdang, Memoir of Colors" saw its ratings drop below 10 percent despite efforts to salvage the much-hyped Lee Young-ae show, data showed Thursday.

Episode seven of "Saimdang," which aired Wednesday night, recorded 9.7 percent nationwide viewership, according to Nielsen Korea. KBS 2TV's "Good Manager," aired during the same time slot, stood at 16.1 percent and MBC TV's "Missing 9" picked up 4 percent.

A promotional image for "Saimdang, Memoir of Colors" provided by SBS TV. (Yonhap)

A promotional image for "Saimdang, Memoir of Colors" provided by SBS TV. (Yonhap)

The 30-episode fantasy period series centers on Shin Saimdang (1504-1551), Korea's maternal icon associated with raising the Korean Confucian scholar Yulgok of the Joseon Dynasty. The series made headlines for bringing Lee of the famed show "Daejanggeum" back to TV for the first time in 13 years.

"Saimdang" initially started strong, with the first two episodes scoring 15.6 percent and 16.3 percent in nationwide viewership, respectively. But it suffered losses for three-straight broadcasts until seeing a slight uptick in episode six.

The show owes its underwhelming reception to what viewers say is a slow and discombobulated plot, which even Lee's glowing screen presence and the series' high production value apparently can't make up for.

To stop the bloodletting of viewers, SBS TV has scrambled to re-edit the entirety of the series for a much more engaging and impactful viewing experience. But whether it can ultimately salvage the show remains to be seen.

odissy@yna.co.kr

(END)

7 hours ago, willenette said:

Hi Mari, ahhh..........the drama decreased below 10%.  According to Nielsen Korea, it rated 9.7% per last night's EP, February 15. This is 2.3% lower than the previous episode.:(

Hi Willenette. I'm not surprised about the rating. I have watching episode 7. SSH also briefly appear. Honestly, i do not like modern era story of this drama. 

Seriously, the plot was not good. I agree with the writer about this "The show owes its underwhelming reception to what viewers say is a slow and discombobulated plot " 

I don't agree with this one "which even Lee's glowing screen presence and the series' high production value apparently can't make up for."

Honestly, the good actor or actress can not working alone. They need good teamwork, including the scriptwriter, producer, all of actor and crew. 

Of all the SSH drama, Saimdang has the worst rating. 

Drama Review 'Saimdang: Light's Diary' Episode 7

BY HanCinema | Feb 16, 2017 06:09 AM EST

•  

Near the end of this episode, there's a brief, lovely little scene where Saimdang takes her family out to nature and uses her powers of artistic description to help them understand natural beauty. This scene is noteworthy for how horribly out of place it is. In between Lee Gyeom's detective work, Saimdang's domestic problems, and greater political struggles, there's precious little time spent actually discussing art and poetry. Which is pretty jarring considering that the whole reason Saimdang is famous is because she's an artist and a poet.

...All right, I guess technically she does also have a reputation for being a good Confucian mother. But even then we rarely ever actually see Saimdang do much mothering. We do see Saimdang beat the children at one point, and it's not completely clear whether we're supposed to sympathize with her. While that kind of discipline may have been common at the time, usually its appearance in historical dramas is shorthand for unnecessarily vicious cruelty.

The framing device is, as usual, of no help. The scene transitions are so awful it's like the production team is trying to sabotage "Saimdang: Light's Diary" on purpose. We go straight from a harlequin magazine cliffhanger to Sang-hyeon talking about the document's historical relevance? Really? It doesn't help that in the modern day so much of the conflict centers around Jeong-hak considering sinister plots upon learning how Ji-yoon soliciting the help of "that fat woman".

"Saimdang: Light's Diary" is astonishingly bad. It's trying to do every possible genre except educational docudrama, which is the only genre it really needs to be doing. But worse than that it's failing. Every single conspiracy is marred by its general preposterous goofiness. The villains are all senselessly petty jerks with poorly defined motives that only just barely make sense.

Like, how is it that twenty years later Lee Gyeom and Saimdang's lives are still so utterly consumed by teenage angst? How exactly do the academic politics in the present day work? Who does Hye-jeong work for, and why is her doing lab work for Ji-yoon a problem? Why can't Ji-yoon and Sang-hyeon find any sponsors for their obviously important research? Is Ji-yoon's husband ever coming back? How did Lee Gyeom get to Italy? Does Saimdang even try to write poetry any more? And most importantly, why is "Saimdang: Light's Diary" dedicating so much energy to answering other stupid questions that no one ever asked?

Source:HanCinema

14 hours ago, Mari95 said:

Hi Willenette. I'm not surprised about the rating. I have watching episode 7. SSH also briefly appear. Honestly, i do not like modern era story of this drama. 

Seriously, the plot was not good. I agree with the writer about this "The show owes its underwhelming reception to what viewers say is a slow and discombobulated plot " 

I don't agree with this one "which even Lee's glowing screen presence and the series' high production value apparently can't make up for."

Honestly, the good actor or actress can not working alone. They need good teamwork, including the scriptwriter, producer, all of actor and crew. 

Of all the SSH drama, Saimdang has the worst rating. 

Hi Mari, I couldn't agree with you more - well-said, dear. :lol:

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Saimdang: Light's Diary" Episode 8photo820477.jpg

The two main genres at the forefront this episode are soap opera and parent teacher association meetings. I have to admit that the latter concept is rather...unique, in that I never in a million years expected that I would be reviewing a historical Korean drama that focused on parents talking to other parents and teachers about their children's academic performance. In context, though, it's more of the usual disappointments since Saimdang herself has, as usual, only an indirect role.

It does provide Headmistress Choi (played by Oh Yoon-ah) an actual avenue by which to pursue her villainous jealousy over Lee Gyeom loving Saimdang more than her and yep, that's where the soap opera stuff comes in. These plot points consistently give "Saimdang: Light's Diary" a rather dirty gossipy feel. I honestly feel kind of bad for Headmistress Choi. Sure, she's a jerk, but we're learning all of this secondhand through the modern day framing device of Saimdang's diary. Who knows the extent to which any of this information is actually accurate.

Speaking of the framing device, all that really happens this time is that Ji-yoon gets into a fight with her mother-in-law as a consequence of her no good husband living in hiding and only communicating through cryptic spy methods. The obvious goofiness of all this is a problem I have noted before. But I also need to call attention to the issue of agency. Ji-yoon is a passive character much like Saimdang herself. She just reacts to external stimuli rather than being proactive in any way.

Compare Mrs. Gong (played by Park Joon-myeon), whose methods for trying to improve her son's lot in life tend to involve negotiations. Granted a lot of these are just negotiations for street food but still. Incidentally this episode also continues the proud tradition "Saimdang: Light's Diary" has when it comes to weird, vaguely amusing scenes of no obvious purpose. Apparently Lee Gyeom has made personal acquaintance with a band of jolly gangsters.

Park Joon-myeon, you may recall, also plays forensic researcher Hye-jeong, who has been helping Ji-yoon with...whatever it is Ji-yoon is trying to do, I'm honestly not sure anymore. That's what really gets me about "Saimdang: Light's Diary". Try as I might I just can't figure out what the point is supposed to be. There could very well be an actual historical reference to everything that happens in this drama, it's just hard to tell because the whole project's so disjointed.

Review by William Schwartz

Saimdang's all action, romance and politics

BY LOONG WAI TING - 17 FEBRUARY 2017 @ 2:05 PM

Popular K-drama Saimdang, Light’s Diary unfolds with plenty of emotional drama, writes Loong Wai Ting

TRAGIC, doomed love story — that pretty much sums up South Korean historical drama, Saimdang, Light’s Diary.

Really, if you don’t mind the doomed love cliche, Saimdang, Light’s Diary may be one of the greatest love stories ever told on TV. Okay, that last part might be an over-exaggeration but yes, the sappy storyline drowns out most of the plot.

Although the series is based on the real historical figure Saimdang, a renowned artist, painter and poet during the Joseon dynasty, you wonder exactly how much of it is based on facts?

Saimdang, or her real name Inseon, is often held up as a model of Confucian ideals. Her artwork, with its recurring theme on insects, flowers and landscapes, is known for its delicate beauty and details.

Poetry-wise, Saimdang is often praised for her elegance and thoughtfulness. In modern culture, Saimdang’s visage can be seen on the South Korean banknote (50,000 won)

The series opens with a famed painter Lee Gyeom (played by Song Seung-heon of Autumn In My Heart fame) trying, rather dramatically, to paint a picture, on a stormy night in Italy during the Renaissance. But something doesn’t feel right here: What is Lee Gyeom, a Joseon dynasty painter, doing in Italy? Who is that person in his dramatic drawing? And how did he even end up in Italy in the first place?

Just then the lights in the room changed and the viewer is transported to present-day Korea, where art professor Ji Yoon (Jewel In The Palace star Lee Young-ae) is trapped in a bad career situation while her family is starting to fall apart. But neither of this is Ji Yoon’s fault. At work, an incompetent superior is caught trying to manipulate the highly priced art piece, Gyeumgang San, and instead of owning up to his mistake, Professor Min Jung-hak (Choi Jong-hwan) blames Yi Joon.

To make matters worse, an enthusiastic art and history student Sang-hyeon (Yang Se-jong) publicly humiliates Professor Min by challenging the latter’s view on coming up with an authentic piece of artwork. As Ji Yoon works to save her reputation and job, she stumbles on clues on the whereabouts of Gyeumgang San, the story that surrounds the artwork, and eventually the artist who painted it.

The series is reaching its midway point and the plot is slowly expanding while teasing a tragic ending. It is only from episode six onwards that all the fragmented pieces are coming together, although not necessarily fitting together yet.

Considering its huge revelation after Yi Joon stumbles on Saimdang’s lost diary (revealing Lee Gyeom’s whereabouts and purpose in Italy) while attending an art conference in Italy, the story is bound to head for some tragedy.

Saimdang, Light’s Diary is the work of Park Eun-ryeong, the same writer behind Saving Mrs Go Bong Shil (2011-2012), Second Proposal (2004) and Lady Next Door (2003). As the series moves between the past and present, the series writer has plenty of time to explore the conflict between Saimdang and her family, her love interest Lee Gyeom, and the man she would eventually marry.

In the present time, however, the story focuses very much on Ji Yoon and Sang-hyeon as they search for clues regarding Geumgang San.

Sang-hyeon is seen as a devoted character, although he acts rashly without weighing all the options beforehand. A sidekick of sorts, he gives Ji Yoon support and trusts her judgment. As the two draw closer with each new finding, they look more like a pair of romantic heroes, but are they?

Well, a little bit of wishful thinking won’t harm the storyline. It’s a K-drama, after all.

It’s a welcome sight indeed to see Lee Young-ae returning to the small screen after taking a break to focus on her family to raise her offspring, 5-year-old twins. The actress, who was last seen in the 2005 psychological thriller film Sympathy For Lady Vengeance by director Park Chan-wook, still oozes charm and beauty on TV.

Lee looks especially beautiful in the traditional hanbok (the traditional Korean costume). In fact, Lee was named as one of South Korean’s actresses who look gorgeous in a hanbok by an entertainment portal last year.

Others who share the ranks include Suzy (The Sound Of A Flower), formerly from the K-pop group Miss A, Ha Ji-Won (Empress Ki), Park Shin-Hye (The Royal Tailor) and Song Hye-Kyo (Hwang Jin Yi).

With plenty of emotionally-driven scenes and good looking cast, Saimdang, Light’s Diary has lots of contrasting details as well: Courageous versus cowardice, good versus evil and lights versus darkness. The drama also boldly fuses action, romance and a bit of political and social drama to make the premise interesting.

It’s a nerve-wracking fairy tale, yes, and dares to go where Descendants Of The Sun won’t even think of going, with its political references.

It’s an enjoyable ride so far although I’m not one for overly sappy storylines. But with Lee and Seung-heon onboard, I’ve nothing to complain of.

170217LTpg141.transformed.jpg
Song Seung-heon as Lee Gyeom.
170217LTpg142.transformed.jpg
Popular South Korean actress Lee Young-ae plays Saimdang, a famous poet and artist during the Joseon dynasty.

Saimdang episode 9 preview: Lee Gyum to expose Whieumdang Choi's real identity

Episode 9 of Saimdang is likely to feature King Joongjong's interference in Min Chi-hyung, Lee Gyum rivalry.

•  
Saimdang

Lee Gyum might make a shocking revelation to King Joongjong in Saimdang episode 9.

Saimdang: Light's Diary, also known as Saimdang: The Herstory, will be back with episode 9 next Wednesday, February 22, at 10pm KST on SBS. It will pick up right from where it left off Lee Gyum and his lover in episode 8.

It would have been difficult for the title character to get an admission for his son Hyun Ryoung at Jungbu School without the male protagonist's interference. But she does not seem to be very happy to know about it.

Ever since Whieumdang Choi came to know that his rival's son is trying to join the educational institute, she was adamant about creating obstacles for him and his mother. At first, she called up all the mothers and asked them to raise their objections.

However, when Song Seung-heon's character came up with an idea to select the right candidate through a competition, the mothers agreed. This time, the female antagonist was determined to train an average kid from Jeolla Province named Tae-ryong to compete with Shin Saimdang's son.

When Oh Yoon-ah's character came to know that it's very difficult to prepare the boy for the competition, she even got the questions leaked. Before the contest began, Lee Gyum came to know about it and he came up with another plan to judge the students.

When the male protagonist decided to select both the students, Whieumdang Choi could not control her anger and executed her next move to insult her rival. Towards the end of the episode, the mothers paid a visit to the female protagonist.

From their conversation, she came to know that her former lover helped Hyun Ryoung get the admission. So she decided to meet him personally to inform him that she does not need his help.

The promo for episode 9 begins with a conversation between the onscreen couple, wherein Shin Saimdang informs Lee Gyum, "I cannot accept your help."

The sneak peek video then focuses on the next evil move by the female antagonist. It shows her challenging the female lead and provoking her to draw something depicting Unpyeong. If she continues to bother her rival, Lee Gyum will be left with no other option than to reveal her real identity to the world.

Drama viewership ratings for the week of Feb. 13-19, 2017

dramaratings_2.jpg

Saimdang, Light’s Diary continues to fall behind.

(skipped unrelated.....)

Wednesday, Feb. 15      
Chief Kim 7 KBS 16.1%
Missing 9 9 MBC 4.0%
Saimdang, Light’s Diary 7 SBS 9.7%
Thursday, Feb. 16      
Chief Kim 8 KBS 17.6%
Missing 9 10 MBC 4.3%
Saimdang, Light’s Diary 8 SBS 10.3%

LINK here : http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/02/drama-viewership-ratings-for-the-week-of-feb-13-19-2017/

• Like 1