Jung Ji Hoon * 정지훈 * 鄭智薰 * (aka Rain/Bi / 비 / ピ) I [Upcoming Drama 2024] Red Swan

Nancyzak

--RAIN being mentioned --

July 19, 2013

Controversy-plagued celebrity unit to be disbanded

Celebrities will no longer be able to serve their military service in a special entertainment unit that has been at the center of a series of scandals. The latest controversy hit the 16-year old program when a TV show caught two of its famous soldiers on a drunken late-night visit to an illicit massage parlor in Chuncheon, Gangwon.

The Ministry of Defense announced yesterday that the Defense Media Agency’s public relations support unit, which is composed of 15 so-called “entertainment soldiers,” will be completely dissolved by Aug. 1 and its members dispatched to other units.

“The [entertainment] soldiers clearly lowered the morale of other normal soldiers who are sincerely serving the country,” spokesman Wi Yong-seob said in a press conference held yesterday at the ministry headquarters in Yongsan, central Seoul. “It is important for the unit to have the nation’s trust, as it was established to publicize the military’s different activities, but they lost that trust with some serious misbehavior.”

In June, SBS’s “Scene 21” spotted singer Seven (Choi Dong-wook) and Sangchu (Lee Sang-chul) at the illegal adult massage parlor in Chuncheon. The visit followed a drinking session with fellow soldiers after they had performed at an event marking the 63rd anniversary of the start of the 1950-53 Korean War. The program accused the celebrity soldiers of having seriously violated a range of military laws, revealing that they had been living like normal citizens, using mobile phones anytime they liked and frequently drinking alcohol after work hours.

Celebrity soldiers’ responsibilities include participating in TV and radio programs produced by the military and maintaining troop morale by doing shows at bases around the country. Many top celebrities have served and are serving with the unit. Pop star Rain (Jung Ji-hoon), who finished his 21-month military service earlier this month, caused controversy when it was discovered that he had been dating actress Kim Tae-hee while in the unit.

The strong public criticism about the apparent unfair advantages celebrity soldiers were receiving led to a military investigation of the unit.

The Defense Ministry said that Choi and Lee had left their accommodations in Chuncheon without authorization from a supervising officer and that three other star soldiers were found to be carrying mobile phones without authorization.

The offending soldiers and officers responsible will be punished, it said.

BY KWON SANG-SOO [sakwon80@joongang.co.kr]

July 19, 2013

class="art_title"Entertainment Corps to Be Shut Down

Se7en (left) and Sangchu Se7en (left) and Sangchu

The Army's entertainment corps, established 17 years ago specially for singers and actors drafted into mandatory service, will be abolished after a string of misbehaviors by the coddled stars in its ranks.

A Defense Ministry official said Thursday that the decision to close down the corps came because top brass feel their misconduct "saps troop morale."

The Defense Ministry audited the corps after some of its glittering celebrity soldiers drank alcohol after a performance in Chuncheon, Gangwon Province on June 21. They included Lee Sang-cheol, known as Sangchu, and Choi Dong-wook, the pop star more commonly known as Se7en, who left their motel at 2:30 a.m. and were seen visiting an adult massage parlor.

A disciplinary committee has decided to penalize the two singers and five other corps members who either left their motel room late at night or were spotted using their mobile phones in their base without permission. The penalty entails a five-day cap on holidays, demotion and possible time in stockade.

One of the corps members, who had permission to go out from his senior officer, was given only a warning.

Singer Rain, who wrapped up his military service earlier this month, also participated in the performance in Chuncheon but committed no further violations, the Defense Ministry said. Rain was grounded for just a week in January of this year for a string of violations including regular trysts with his girlfriend, actress Kim Tae-hee, while on official duty

At present, 15 celebrities are serving exclusive entertainment duties. They will be posted to regular units on Aug. 1 or handle desk duties at the Defense Ministry if they have less than three months left to serve.

Five high-ranking officers at the Defense Media Agency, which oversees the entertainment corps, will face disciplinary measures, and four others will get warnings for poorly managing the celebrity soldiers. The Defense Ministry will hire civilian agencies to perform for troops from now on or pluck performers from among regular soldiers.

credit : Chosun Ilbo

Defense Ministry scraps ' Soldier-Entertainer' system

A series of fiascos involving big stars in uniforms sour public opinion

By Kang Seung-woo

130718_p02_defense1.jpg
Wi Yong-seop, deputy spokesperson for the Defense Ministry, speaks during a briefing at the ministry’s building in Seoul, Thursday. The ministry said it will abolish a controversial “entertainment soldier” system. / Yonhap
130718_p02_defense2.jpg
Choi Dong-uk, left, and Lee Sang-cheol
The Defense Ministry said Thursday that it will “retire” the controversial “entertainment soldier” system next month, a dishonorable discharge for the scheme, 16 years after it was introduced in 1997.

The system has received much public criticism because big stars serving their mandatory service enjoy special perks such as gaining additional overnight passes.

“We feel deeply responsible for the poor management of entertainment soldiers,” the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said in a statement. “We have decided to scrap the system.”

Currently, there are 15 entertainers serving in the military assigned to a unit that performs for active servicemen and they are under the control of the Defense Media Agency (DMA).

The decision comes after a television investigative program released video footage of two singer-soldiers who drank until late at night.

Private Choi Dong-uk, who is better known as Seven, and Private First Class Lee Sang-cheol, active as Sangchoo, were caught visiting a massage parlor, after an event in Chuncheon, Gangwon Province in June.  

The system was established in 1997 to help boost the morale of troops as well as promote a positive image of the military by touring military bases, hosting recreational events and appearing in the military’s TV and radio programs,

The ministry said that a series of scandals involving celebrity soldiers undermined military unity and morale and produced negative publicity.

Those caught offending the code of conduct will face disciplinary action and will be relocated to field units in Gangwon and Gyeonggi Provinces.

Lee and Choi, the two delinquent soldier-entertainers, will be punished for going absent without leave (AWOL), while five will receive a heavy penalty for using cellular phones, a violation.

Another corporal, who left his post at an appropriate time with permission from an official in charge, will face lesser punishment.

The ministry added that five officials at the agency were disciplined, and six others received warnings.

The military’s alleged special treatment for celebrities on service has been a hot-button issue.

According to the Defense Ministry last October, 32 entertainment soldiers who were discharged between November 2009 and September 2012 took 75 leave days on average, 1.7 times more than the 43 days for ordinary soldiers.

In addition, singer Rain was embroiled in a controversy because he took leave too often to pursue a romance with actress Kim Tae-hee in January.

After the romance came to light, critics complained that he was able to enjoy his private life ― despite being on duty ― while ordinary soldiers remained confined to their barracks. He then faced seven days of disciplinary action.

All able-bodied men are subject to about two years mandatory military service.

It plays a key role in political elections, while some celebrities and athletes have been arrested and forced into near exile after getting caught evading the draft.

ksw@koreatimes.co.kr,

***When I was new as his fan, I was surprised to know that RAIN fan base is this huge.  Wooo...........it's awesome, right?  That's why, thumbs up to all of them! Every time there's something going on about RAIN, there's always like a lot of action from all of them, too. They're always there to deliver. L-)

[CloudPeru EVENT] 14.07.13 The King is Back

credit : Tefi

This is a short video about our event for the celebration of the Rain's release. We are very happy and proud of our prince. Thank you all for sharing this great day. Please enjoy and share ^^' 

Disbanding receives outpouring of approval

By Park Si-soo 

The Defense Ministry Thursday received rare praise from the public for its decision to disband the “entertainment soldier” squad of singers and actors serving their mandatory military service.

Of course, some postings were rueful about the retirement of the system. Facebook and Twitter as well as news portals were flooded with supportive comments, complimenting Defense Minister Kim Kwan-jin.

“Thank you, Minister Kim. You made a great decision,” a Facebook message read. “This is the best decision you have ever made.” Another message said, “I’m happy to know that the ministry and the public are on the same page regarding the issue.”
Thousands of such comments were tagged in major portal websites.

Some expressed sympathy to the affected soldiers, including two singer-soldiers Private Choi Dong-uk, whose stage name is Seven; and Private First Class Lee Sang-cheol whose stage name is Sangchoo.

They were concerned that their imminent transfer to regular military service will expose them to harsh treatment and possibly being bullied.

Many said Jung Ji-hoon, better known as Rain, was really lucky for completing his two-year military duty on July 10 amid the controversy. “How lucky he is!” a message said obviously with a strong dose of cynicism. “He has left an amazing farewell gift for his subordinates.”

Meanwhile, the responses from the talent agencies were mixed but such an overwhelming support for the disbandment is attributable to a widespread perception that military duty is an equally shared responsibility among able-bodied men.

Military service has also become hot, as a reality program detailing military life titled “Real Men” is posting high ratings. With nearly all male adults having served in the armed forces ㅡ mostly at humble military barracks in remote parts of the country ㅡ it’s understandable that those enjoying preferential treatment in the service are subject to public condemnation and even bullying.

In an extreme case, singer Yoo Seung-jun has found himself permanently banned from the country’s showbiz industry after he acquired U.S. citizenship in 2002 to evade military service.

The star-studded squad was established in August 2000 to host morale-boosting recreational events at military bases across the country. Choi and Lee joined the military in March and October, respectively.

South Korea requires all able-bodied men to serve about two to three years in the military, a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War that ended in a truce, not a peace treaty.

pss@koreatimes.co.kr,

*** So, the fanmeet will be in his school. And this Sonic Bang venue is quite huge, huh - 50T audiences. I heard his collaboration with Jay-Z is true after all. Well, maybe I should go with the flow. As long as there's so much to look forward to, why not, huh? :))

[19-Jul-2013][MyDaily] Rain who is busy right after his discharge.

starq.jpg

Singer Rain (his real name, Jung Ji-Hoon) is to meet his fans upcoming August before he makes his comeback in earnest.

According to Rain's management agency 'Cube Entertainment' on the 19th, he'll be seen in public at a fan meeting scheduled for August 3rd, for the first time after being discharged from the army.

The fan meeting that is being voluntarily arranged by his fans, will be held in the Hall of Peace of Kyunghee University, and he'll put on a stunning performance for his fans who have waited a long time for a moment like this.

After this, Rain'll participate in Sonic Bang, the best music festival in Thailand, on August 24th. It doesn't have very much to do with what he makes his comeback, but, as it is his first performance after his discharge, expectations increase for him. The concert features 'Epik High', 'Far East Movement', 'Jason Mraz', etc. including Rain.

Rain was discharged upon completing his much-troubled, scandalous military service last 10th. He had served in the Defense Media Agency since last March since he joined the army and served as an assistant instructor in the 5th Division.

Also, before his discharge, he signed on with Cube Entertainment, the CEO of which is 'Hong Seung-Sung', at the end of May. He is carefully watching his time to make his comeback.

Credit to My Daily : http://news.nate.com/view/20130719n15265

English translation by 화니

cocomhe said: @anjjo hahaha expect more from @Nancyzak and me, we enjoy what we are doing...oh @annieice is a friend of mine in other forum, she happened to like my artwork so i was surprised to see her here, hope she'll be active here also

Guest annieice

Hi dear clouds ;) thanks for the warm welcome :)
 I'm passive on this thread, but visiting it everyday
thank you all for the great pictures and stories
:)>-

Annyeong everyone!

@cocomhe,
I like your pic for our 'partner in crime'! Maybe that is our trademark, but are you able to change to females? Don't worry, we'll stick to it if you can't    [-O<  

@anjjo,
I enjoy this thread for its quick postings of Rain's news and comments. Great job to you, @willenette and @merycote. I check this thread everyday. Just that I have limited window period to do postings due to my working schedule and errands at home. My first stop will be at KTH thread. I will try to post my artworks as soon as I've posted in KTH thread. If that does not permit, do expect, the max, a few days later. Ha, ha, ha, even KTH fans are invading this thread!!! I do see @xHeonheex, @lexus123 and @superweirdme silently lurking in this thread.  ;):D

You know what. I feel like @cocomhe and I are two busy ladies running between potential in laws houses for the couple, lugging our artworks along, to decorate the houses.....ke, ke, ke......   ;))  

Side  note to @cocomhe,
Maybe we should print the pages in both threads containing our artworks, compile in booklet and send it as wedding gift for the couple when they tie their knot with each other. What say you???    *-:);)   

Continue for @anjjo,
About Rain, I myself also hurt for him, but when I see his picture, I see a strong and positive man who gives me all the confidence that he will pull through tough times. His name may be mentioned in the history in connection with celebrities issues in the military, but the hurt will fade overtime and I do not think Rain will allow any setbacks to hinder his quest to achieve his happiness and success. For KTH, she herself had had broken relationship due to her then bf couldn't take the media pressure and she herself suffering from the hate publicity over Dokdo issue in Japan. I believe through such experience she would understand and support Rain in times like this. She mentioned a strong man as one of her criteria for her ideal type. I see a lot of Rain in that. We just wait and see!  [-O<  

@willenette,
Ha, ha, ha, conjoined twins can't wait to be separated. I think @cocomhe and I are gravitating towards conjoining ourselves! Okay, in mind and spirit, virtually!  ;)) :P:))   

@merycote,
Thank you! You can try out the artwork not only on Rain but your personal ones too!, for the fun of it. Check out :  http://www.photofacefun.com/  ,   http://www.photofunia.com/    ,    http://funny.pho.to/    ,   http://www.pizap.com/    Happy trying!   :-bd       

Rain and KTH, in my mind, completing the "feel" to @cocomhe's latest artwork....

pifw.jpg
Cr photos : Owners

@anjjo's praise of KTH's shapely legs and dainty ankles and Rain's sexy back bod and shoulders had me producing this ......

m80j.jpg

Nancyzak said:

Rain and KTH, in my mind, completing the "feel" to @cocomhe's latest artwork....

@anjjo's praise of KTH's shapely legs and dainty ankles and Rain's sexy back bod and shoulders had me producing this ......

Guest merycote

Nancyzak

said:

@merycote,
Thank you! You can try out the artwork not only on Rain but your personal ones too!, for the fun of it. Check out :  http://www.photofacefun.com/  ,   http://www.photofunia.com/    ,    http://funny.pho.to/    ,   http://www.pizap.com/    Happy trying!   :-bd       

Nancyzak said:

Annyeong everyone!

@anjjo,
I enjoy this thread for its quick postings of Rain's news and comments. Great job to you, @willenette and @merycote. I check this thread everyday. Just that I have limited window period to do postings due to my working schedule and errands at home. My first stop will be at KTH thread. I will try to post my artworks as soon as I've posted in KTH thread. If that does not permit, do expect, the max, a few days later. Ha, ha, ha, even KTH fans are invading this thread!!! I do see @xHeonheex, @lexus123 and @superweirdme silently lurking in this thread.  ;):D

You know what. I feel like @cocomhe and I are two busy ladies running between potential in laws houses for the couple, lugging our artworks along, to decorate the houses.....ke, ke, ke......   ;))  

Continue for @anjjo,
About Rain, I myself also hurt for him, but when I see his picture, I see a strong and positive man who gives me all the confidence that he will pull through tough times. His name may be mentioned in the history in connection with celebrities issues in the military, but the hurt will fade overtime and I do not think Rain will allow any setbacks to hinder his quest to achieve his happiness and success. For KTH, she herself had had broken relationship due to her then bf couldn't take the media pressure and she herself suffering from the hate publicity over Dokdo issue in Japan. I believe through such experience she would understand and support Rain in times like this. She mentioned a strong man as one of her criteria for her ideal type. I see a lot of Rain in that. We just wait and see!  [-O<  

merycote wow welcome to the club, you've made it, the more the merrier, i am sure you will enjoy this new "career" , keep em coming...right now i am gathering some new materials so haven't done any new project yet, hard to get the right pics...i am sure Nancyzak is cooking up with something, i can smell it already...anjjo oh it saddens me that you and willenette were given some warnings, don't worry we are here to support you 

cocomhe said: merycote wow welcome to the club, you've made it, the more the merrier, i am sure you will enjoy this new "career" , keep em coming...right now i am gathering some new materials so haven't done any new project yet, hard to get the right pics...i am sure Nancyzak is cooking up with something, i can smell it already...anjjo oh it saddens me that you and willenette were given some warnings, don't worry we are here to support you 

Hello dears! Happy Sunday!

I have been sidetracked yesterday. Can't do any 'cooking' but the consolation was a can of Tim Horton fine grind coffee from a Canadian friend. Not that I'm a coffee connoisseur, but I love this coffee. So, try it, if you have the chance, but please I do not get a single cent for spreading this! I'm just wallowing in my good fortune of being gifted with the coffee that I like and I wish to share it with my buddies here. 
:x :D

@anjjo,

Thank you so much for giving me a run down of how this thread had operated and has been operating for sometime. Please, you do not bore me with your blah, blah, blah....! They have been most enlightening and humbling. 
^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

When I first visited this thread, yes, I only see you and @willenette being the back bone of it. I salute and respect you and @willenette for staying on course and preservered to keep this thread afloat despite the difficulties you all have gone through. Now I understand why you are cautious on postings. Thank you for your kind advice.

I learnt a fair bit of Rain through this thread and some other fan sites of his. Yeah, I see his fans have broken up into various fan groups all over the world. It shows one site is just not enough. As JYP said before, Rain's popularity just exploded and his system could not match it and therefore Rain has to create his own. The loyalty of his fans to him is astounding, to say the least. I  personally have no doubt KTH is and will be in good hands should they proceed to matrimony and I've said before it takes two to tango. So, I hope each is not only the love, but rock of the other, to make the relationship to work, if they so desire to have and maintain one.

As much as I wish Rain to publicly admit his relationship with KTH soon since KTH has said her piece or pieces, I believe he has reasons of his own for his silence and yes, I personally respect that too. KTH is a private person and she is not known to respond or make any statement of her life or her love life unless there is ground for it or if it is necessary. There is already enough debate or things said on other sites on their relationship and there is no need for me to rehash them or debate about them here. It tends to get repetitive after a while and I do not want to make anyone bored to tears or to death for that matter. Suffice to say that I agree with the article 'Shattering of Men's fantasy : The Betrayal of KTH', which to me practically sums up my thoughts on the couple and why my support for them, other than my plain love of them.

Yep, we shall try our level best to enliven this thread, just as we shall do at KTH's. I hope more out there will dive in and join us! @meryocote is our good example and see where it has got her now!

@merycote,
Wow, you mighty girl! So many nice artworks in a go! My congratulations!!!  
:x    Like @cocomhe said, welcome to the club!!! Huuuggggssss!!!!!  >:D< >:D< >:D<    Thanks for sharing your link. I shall try out. Why do I get the feeling that you may be a master at artwork for all my own boastful blabbering? Ha, ha, ha,  ..... :)) :\"> X_X     Do share in KTH's too! 

@cocomhe,
Is Rain on the look out for meddling paparazzi before he drives off for a date with KTH? Ha, ha, ha....... 
:))   You've captured one of his favourites. Listening to his ipod but I hope only for so long as KTH is fast asleep or busy. He better take them off now that she is awake!  ;))  Really nice artworks of yours, catching the 2 "possibilities and likelihood of what will happen after Rain's discharge"!!! I'm working on my third series. Pray that I do not hit mental block soon!!!  ;))