[Drama 2009] Boys Over Flowers / Hana Yori Dango 꽃보다 남자

Rebby

News still says this drama will replace WW but since is Xmas season, the remaining Mon in Dec may air special programs.

Ah, I see. Thank you for the quick reply :)

I'm sooo in love with the Korean cast of Hana Yori Dango ... the production, the clothes and filming location looks high end and classy ... very detailed and fantasy like ... this is what a dream drama should be. Lee Min Ho is simply gorgeous and elegant as the lead, a wise choice.

Guest Sc4r3Cr0w

too bad though that hwangbo couldn't be shizuka, i mean really it was a golden opportunity. since hyung joong's character is in love with shizuka, where in we got married they were very afectionate towards each other. i thought it would have been a good role for hwangbo cuz she does fit the description of being independent, womanly and elegant. :o

Guest Happy_Day

Wow.. Never seen LeeMinHo before this, but he looks HOT! He looks so sharp and gentle at the same time, and so tall. And he's the only guy I've seen who can pull of permed hair, it's not even curly - it's like ajumma perm!

HyunJoong, of course I love.. He looks so feminine, but his personality is so manly. And he looks so cool and nonchalant in this.

KimBum was awesome in East of Eden. His acting is explosive, and he looks kind of like JoInSung.

Don't know about the other guy, he looks blah to me.

GooHyeSun.. a little annoying sometimes, but overall great emotional acting.

Woooooow.................... Kind of hilarious how all the guys are like.. inheriting billion-dollar companies or something. LOL!! What would I give to be in the shoes of GHS's character. =P

oh, and are you the one that create these icons on my siggies? i found these at KRFILM! nice nice! :D

thanks! :D

is it okay if i can REQUEST for something? :D

Haha thanks and sure just send me a PM with what u want.

Guest heliane_maine22

korean version of hana yori dango

3rd version of hana yori dango

its like korean version put more pressure because the version of taiwan and japan was a sucess

but im really impressed with the cast

Boys Over Flowers Press Conference

*** Production Conference Overview ***

Date: Monday, December 22, 2-4pm

Venue: Lotte Hotel Crystal Ballroom

Schedule:

- Special video screening

- Actors / crew introduced / co-interview

- Photo Time

- Interview

Attendence: Jeon Gi Sang (Director), Gu Hye Seon, Lee Min Ho, Kim Hyun Joong, Kim Bum (planned)

Info credit KBS

there shd be some pics/vids spam after the pressconf ^^

Guest Valentin

Ah, I've been stalking this thread for a while, but I've finally dragged myself to actually post some things that have been simmering in my head for ages now. Here goes nothing:

First of all, I absolutely, positively adore the manga. I've read it front to back multiple times, and though parts of the storyline drive me absolutely insane sometimes (chiefly, why Makino keeps on stubbornly running away from Domyoji, even when it's plain to everyone else around them that he's madly in love with her and can't positively function normally without her, literally, and that she's actually also in love with him, too), the story is one that I enjoy immensely. That said, it's easy to see why I have such high expectations for the Korean take on this manga, and in fact, have had high expectations for all previous adaptations. For example:

- Meteor Garden: Okay, so I actually saw MG before I ever read the manga. I think I also ended up skimming through certain episodes of it, but from what I can remember, I think this was the most accurate adaptation of the original manga, and will probably remain so, judging from what what snippets I have heard leaked about the Korean version's storyline. So I give MG that. On the other hand, its cast was most definitely a newbie cast, and looking back, I have to cringe at their acting then. (Thank goodness most of the actors in that drama have since matured in their acting skills.) Mind you, I'm only talking about MG 1; I tried to get into MG 2, but that was a million times worse than the original, not to mention my tolerance for poor acting had by then dropped enough that I just couldn't make it through to the end, though I did sneak a few peeks at the ending episodes just to see what had happened, and that was quite sufficient for me.

- Hana Yori Dango: I followed both HYD 1, HYD 2, and even HYD Final (the movie) religiously, and secretly, I really, really, really want the Saturn necklace that Domyoji gave to Makino in the drama/film. I am a little sad that the producers deviated so much from the original storyline in the Japanese adaptation, but I think that in general, they kept with the spirit of the manga (that Domyoji and Makino can't possibly live without the other), and that makes me happy. Oh, and the production was so lavish from beginning till end, I was possibly drooling the entire time. The acting was also top-notch, for the most part, except that I, unlike most people it seems, can't stand watching Inoue Mao try to do cry scenes. It makes me wince, she looks like she's trying so hard to squeeze out a few tear drops (and she probably is, actually), but it's so painfully unnatural to watch.

- Boys Over Flowers: From what has thus far been put out about this Korean adaptation, this looks like an even more lavish production than the Japanese one was, and that makes me extremely happy, because I am very much a visual type of person, not to mention a lover of refinement and luxury and elegance. On the other hand, it does look like they're changing the storyline about a bit. Like what's this about Makino/Jan Di's family owning a dry-cleaning store? And why's she delivering laundry to the school? Isn't she supposed to attend the same high school as the F4? It does look that way, though, since she's seen wearing a uniform in certain shots that have been released thus far, so I am obviously going to refrain from further remarks about this adaptation's storyline until the drama actually starts airing. (January 5th can't possibly arrive soon enough for me! At least someone feed me more pictures and videos until then, please!)

Now, as for casting. As I've mentioned previously, I am a very, very, very visual person, so for me, looks count a lot in forming initial impressions. Obviously, though, the meat is really in the acting, and even should an actor or actress' looks not suit the image I had of the character in my head, if they can convince me by their acting, then I'm more than ready to give them the benefit of the doubt. That being said:

- Meteor Garden: Someone should've really lopped off Makino/Shan Cai's hair in MG. Barbie Xu is so, so protective of her long hair that I admittedly find it rather maddening. Out of all of the cast, I think Rui/Hua Ze Lei looked most like his role: quiet, meditative, etc. Jerry Yan's perm as Domyoji/Dao Ming Si wasn't so much as a perm as just some really, really poofy hair, that almost bordered on ridiculous. But he has the face to pull it off, to his credit. Sadly, I couldn't stand Sojiro/Xi Men and Akira/Mei Zuo's long hair. Akira/Mei Zuo, in particular, looked like a punk, even though as Akira, he's supposed to be the most mature and gentle one of the F4. (Rui is, arguably, also gentle, but I think only to Makino; most everyone else, he is cold to, and as for Shizuka, yes, he loves her, but that doesn't necessarily equate with his being so much gentle as worshipful with her, right?)

- Hana Yori Dango: It is to Matsumoto Jun's credit that even though I think he was the shortest one of the F4, he most definitely pulled off Domyoji's savage personality and in that way, via his acting, made himself look "larger than life". I'd almost forgotten, until I returned to the manga, that Domyoji is supposed to be the tallest of the F4, over 6', whereas in the Japanese drama adaptation, Rui/Oguri Shun was by far the tallest of the four guys. Inoue Mao, when she wasn't making me wince with her crying scenes (thank goodness there were only a few), totally pulled off Makino's stubborn, dynamic personality. Sojiro/Matsuda Shota had the appropriate playboy looks, in my opinion, and he totally pulled off the crying scene when he and Yuki are looking at Tokyo Tower as the sun rises. Sadly, Abe Tsuyoshi as Akira was totally miscast, in my opinion. When I first saw him, I admit to being rather stunned, becaues he just looked so, so much older than the rest of the youthful F4. I think he did his best, but since Akira is the least explored character of the F4, there admittedly wasn't much room for him to develop his character and thus show off his acting chops.

- Boys Over Flowers: In my opinion, I think this is the most "appropriate looking" cast as Makino and the F4, with the exception of Akira/Woo Bin, which I will get to in a bit. Mind you, I obviously haven't seen any of these people act before, so this is purely based on their own inherent looks. Once the drama comes out, then we'll know where we really stand, yes? :) Anyway, I think Lee Min Ho as Domyoji/Joon Pyo totally has that "bear-like" quality of Domyoji's in his looks, and he certainly towers over the rest of the F4; those fur-lined coats are also certainly helping to further that "beastly" look. From what little I've seen of his acting in the trailer, I think he can pull off the two sides to Domyoji's personality: his wild, beastly, aggressive personality, and his love for Makino which is what in the end renders him a changed, caring man. Kim Hyun Joong as Rui/Ji Hoo looks appropriately handsome as his quiet and gentle character should be. Kim Bum as Sojiro/So Yi Jung totally has the boyish yet sly playboy looks down to a pat. Sadly, I just can't see Kim Joon as Akira/Woo Bin; yet another failed miscast of Akira. (Why, oh why is it always Akira who suffers most from miscasting? I realize he's the least delved-into character of the F4, but even if he's not going to be called on to act much, then at least cast his looks right ... Sigh.) He just looks ... Bugsy, to me. I think it might be the eyes. No offense to any admirers of Kim Joon here; I obviously can't comment on his acting skills, only as to whether or not his looks suit the image that I (and the mangaka) had of Akira.

Phew, and I think I'll stop there. This is why I usually stalk threads, and refrain from posting - because once I start, I just can't seem to stop!

Again, I hope no one will misconstrue this as any sort of bashing on my part; as I've said before, I'm a huge fan of the original manga, so I'm obviously vested in seeing this Korean adaptation go well. I have my own high expectations, of course, and like I've said, too, I'm waiting for the drama to (finally) come out before I issue any more commentaries. Thanks for bearing with me! :)

Ah, I've been stalking this thread for a while, but I've finally dragged myself to actually post some things that have been simmering in my head for ages now. Here goes nothing:

First of all, I absolutely, positively adore the manga. I've read it front to back multiple times, and though parts of the storyline drive me absolutely insane sometimes (chiefly, why Makino keeps on stubbornly running away from Domyoji, even when it's plain to everyone else around them that he's madly in love with her and can't positively function normally without her, literally, and that she's actually also in love with him, too), the story is one that I enjoy immensely. That said, it's easy to see why I have such high expectations for the Korean take on this manga, and in fact, have had high expectations for all previous adaptations. For example:

I also think like that and also saw the manga and the anime. Please don't be offended becuase this my opinion i need to see the full series to be Honest what i think. For Now i love HYD but can't wait and see the Korean Version. I think Rui/JiHoo will have to do a great job beacuse it my favorite Character and Domyoji the actor look to me that he could act the part and act it Excelente and the hair look bad on him but he is handsome. Kim Joon(Akira/woo bin) first i never seem him act i don't know but In teaser he look like a fashionista and less of a mob King son. But very handsome Guy.

Guest pillowbox

i had a feeling that people are going to start comparing the past versions.

But if you think about it - Meteor Garden was made in 2001 i believe? and Hana Yori Dango was made last year (?).

I'm really looking forward to this version because I absolutely adore the scenery. They must spent big bucks on this drama, but I know it will be good. Plus I really like Go Hye Sun :)

Does anyone know if there will be somone subbing this drama?

With S2 has on their fan sub page on wiki that the drama is on their possible future projects. Let's see if they confirm it.

Guest ufobaby

I'm not sure if everyone knows about this already, but for those who doesn't, I came across one of the places where their shootings take place: The Venetian Hotel in Macau.

http://www.venetianmacao.com/en/show/news_offers/newsid/36

I'll be spending New Year's eve with my family in Macau and was looking for some Countdown events when i came across this webpage. Below are some screen caps taken from the hotel website:

venetian01.jpgvenetian02.jpg

venetian03.jpgvenetian04.jpg

venetianboat.jpg --> you can catch a glimpse of this on the trailer too!! (around the 00:29 mark)

I've pretty much watch all versions of this drama and I just can't get enough of it!!! :lol: I'll be looking forward to the Korean version as well and i'll definitely take lotsa photos when i visit these places!!! (^o^)

PS: Sorry for the picspam.