i love Darren Shan but his Demonata books are so tasteless -.-

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bk.

Currently rereading "Demian" by Herman Hesse & "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho

Both books are so amazing with such great meaning~ <33

Guest 정유미

Right now I'm reading Shanghai Baby by Wei hui. I'm not liking the main character in this novel; she's self-righteous, promiscuous, it's just... annoying. Everything revolves around her, everyone cares about her novel, everyone wants to do her, and so on. The only thing that I like about it---and which keeps me from just throwing it away and not bothering to continue reading--- is that it was very well-written. It's very poetic, a lot of the lines from this book are quote worthy. So, maybe I'll try to finish reading it.

Guest Stolen_waters

I'm currently reading The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran. Before this, I read her other novel, Nefertiti.

Nefertiti

The sweeping story of a powerful Egyptian family, Nefertiti: A Novel tells the tale of two sisters, the first of whom is destined to rule as one of history’s most fascinating queens.

Beautiful Nefertiti and her sister, Mutnodjmet, have been raised far from the court of their aunt, the Queen of Egypt. But when the Pharaoh of Egypt dies, their father’s power play makes Nefertiti wife to the new and impetuous king. It is hoped she will temper King Amunhotep’s desire to overturn Egypt’s religion, but the ambitious Nefertiti encourages Amunhotep’s outrageous plans instead, winning the adoration of the people while making powerful enemies at court. Younger yet more prudent, Mutnodjmet is her sister’s sole confidant, and only she knows to what lengths Nefertiti will go for a child to replace the son of Amunhotep’s first wife.

As King Amunhotep’s commands become more extravagant, he and Nefertiti ostracize the army, clergy, and Egypt’s most powerful allies. Then, when Mutnodjmet begins a dangerous affair with a general, she sees how tenuous her situation is at her own sister’s court. An epic story that resurrects ancient Egypt in vivid detail, Nefertiti: A Novel,

“Brings ancient Egypt to life as two royal sisters struggle to find fulfillment and happiness— one craving ultimate political power, the other desiring only to follow her heart.” India Edghill, author of Wisdom’s Daughter

The Heretic Queen

In ancient Egypt, a forgotten princess must overcome her family’s past, and remake history.

The winds of change are blowing through Thebes. A devastating palace fire has killed the 18th dynasty’s royal family— all with the exception of Nefertari, niece of the reviled former queen Nefertiti. The girl’s deceased family has been branded as heretical, and no one in Egypt will speak their names. A relic of a previous reign, Nefertari is pushed aside, an unimportant princess left to run wild in the palace. But all of this changes when she is taken under the wing of pharaoh’s aunt, and brought to the Temple of Hathor where she is educated in a manner befitting a future queen.

Soon Nefertari catches the eye of the crown prince, and despite her family’s history, they fall in love and wish to marry. Yet all of Egypt opposes this union between the rising star of a new dynasty and the fading star of an old, heretical one. While political adversity sets the country on edge, Nefertari becomes the wife of Ramesses the Great. Destined to be the most powerful pharaoh in Egypt, he is also the man who must confront the most famous exodus in history.

Edit:

I've also enjoyed reading Moran's 3rd novel

Cleopatra's Daughter

The marriage of Marc Antony and Cleopatra is one of the greatest love stories of all time, a tale of unbridled passion with earth-shaking political consequences. Feared and hunted by the powers in Rome, the lovers choose to die by their own hands as the triumphant armies of Antony’s vengeful rival, Octavian, sweep into Egypt. Their three orphaned children are taken in chains to Rome, but only two— the ten-year-old twins Selene and Alexander— survive the journey. Delivered to the household of Octavian’s sister, the siblings cling to each other and to the hope that they will return one day to their rightful place on the throne of Egypt. As they come of age, they are buffeted by the personal ambitions of Octavian’s family and court, by the ever-present threat of slave rebellion, and by the longings and desires deep within their own hearts.

The fateful tale of Selene and Alexander is brought brilliantly to life in Cleopatra’s Daughter. Recounted in Selene’s youthful and engaging voice, it introduces a compelling cast of historical characters:

* Octavia: the emperor Octavian’s kind and compassionate sister, abandoned by Marc Antony for Cleopatra

* Livia: Octavian’s bitter and jealous wife

* Marcellus: Octavian’s handsome, flirtatious nephew and heir-apparent

* Tiberius: Livia’s sardonic son and Marcellus’s great rival for power

* Juba: Octavian’s ever-watchful aide, whose honored position at court has far-reaching effects on the lives of the young Egyptian royals

Selene’s narrative is animated by the concerns of a young girl in any time and place —the possibility of finding love, the pull of friendship and family, and the pursuit of her unique interests and talents. While coping with the loss of both her family and her ancestral kingdom, Selene must find a path around the dangers of a foreign land. Her accounts of life in Rome are filled with historical details that vividly capture both the glories and horrors of the time. She dines with the empire’s most illustrious poets and politicians, witnesses the creation of the Pantheon, and navigates the colorful, crowded marketplaces of the city where Roman-style justice is meted out with merciless authority.

Based on meticulous research, Cleopatra’s Daughter is a fascinating portrait of Imperial Rome and of the people and events of this glorious and tumultuous period in human history. Emerging from the shadows of history, Selene, a young woman of irresistible charm and preternatural intelligence, will capture your heart.

I'm currently reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. I am in love with the book even though I am almost halfway. I didn't even realize that it was a trilogy until I looked for it on amazon.

Guest tali

^I'm going to be starting that one tonight!

I'm currently reading The Story of Tracy Beaker, number 31 on the BBC The Big Read List

Guest tali

Mort by Terry Pratchett, number 65 on the BBC The Big Read list. It's quite interesting, albeit a bit weird.

Guest alex.bonita

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

I borrowed it from a friend who studied it on her university course and, although I hated it in the beginning, I stuck it out and it's an amazing read. I love how the setting plays a really big part in the story. I'd definitely recommend it.

Mort by Terry Pratchett, number 65 on the BBC The Big Read list. It's quite interesting, albeit a bit weird.

The book is cute, and Death is my favourite character :D

I'm currently reading Happy Families by Carlos Fuentes.

Guest akanelove

Just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett which was really good, I felt kind of sad when I reached the last few pages knowing that I was almost finished with it. Now starting to read The Girl who played with Fire. Loved the 1st book in this trilogy, hope this one doesn't disappoint.

Archived