[Drama 2008] East Of Eden 에덴의 동쪽

Guest kdramafanusa

Guest ninjastar

I postponed watching around episode 46 I think, so I'll reserve judgement until its finally over.

What are the odds that future productions will start filming dramas after the entire script has been written or is East of Eden a special case? Maybe if Lee Dae Hae saw a finalized script from the get go, she would've made the decision to either be in the drama or not.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you think the chance of all along DW is acting this way to get close to his father and then expose him? I read several boards tossing this theory but then I kind of think it is possible. However when he turned a blind eye today and let President Hwang escaped, I feel that no way he is working undercover.

I hope YR also don't feel guilty that it is because of her that caused a rift between DC & DW. DW told her earlier because of a woman, his brother abandoned her. I hope she didn't leave DC at the end in order for the 2 brothers to reconcile :sweatingbullets:

Guest kchild702

Thanks a lot kchild702. Keep us posted of any updates. BTW, do you know if they wrap up the shooting? I supposed all the shooting is finished but surprisingly I haven't heard any news about it.

i haven't heard anyting but usually they film 2-4 eps per week. but on e.o.e. who knows.... but if they wrapped up the shooting already then they should have a party. like they always do.

What do you think the chance of all along DW is acting this way to get close to his father and then expose him? I read several boards tossing this theory but then I kind of think it is possible. However when he turned a blind eye today and let President Hwang escaped, I feel that no way he is working undercover.

I hope YR also don't feel guilty that it is because of her that caused a rift between DC & DW. DW told her earlier because of a woman, his brother abandoned her. I hope she didn't leave DC at the end in order for the 2 brothers to reconcile :sweatingbullets:

undercover work? i think is -0.0000. DW wants his name to be known as the PROSECUTOR OF KOREA.

i just hope they still have the extra tape and expose him. that boy turn 181 degrees on the LEE's.

his assistant cheif presecutor should find out they links beteween him and STH so they can fire him. kuzz he dont like DW not at all.

the article basically was about the eps.54

how the brother got it on again and how dongwook closed his eyes on that snake looking guy knowing that is a crime. that could cost him his job but dongwook wants to be the big shot so he did the dirty.

한편, 마지막 회를 2회 앞둔 ‘에덴의 동쪽’, 동욱은 동철을 탈주범으로 지명수배 내린다. 동철과 영란은 입원한 춘희를 찾아가 인사를 드리고, 도피를 시작한다. 행복한 아침을 맞은 두 사람. 동철과 영란의 아름다운 베드신이 예고돼 시청자들의 마음을 설레게 만들었다.

the last paragraph is talking about the next weeks preview how theres only 2 more eps left. DW put out a nation wide search on DC. It also talks about DC and YR meeting YCH and saying goodbye and the last part........................ they r saying that bed scene is making the viewers anxious. i guess the viewers r really hoping for this.

That part is making the viwers hearts beating fast.

[/quote

Thank you so much for the translations....you are great....the preview does it sound really bad for DC in what they are saying? The previews drive me nuts over the week until Monday.I think Jackie is saying "This is war" but I may be wrong

I thought I heard Jackie saying "Lee Dong Wook". Probably because LDW is cracking down on the Macau folks.

Hope I hear it right...the last thing is for Jackie to be mad at DC. DC got enough enemies now.

I am thinking maybe Jackie will take care of STH and DW once and for all. Jackie is a mobster from Macau. I don't think he will let STH get away easily.

Where is Rebecca? We need her back to finish what she started :wacko:

I think Jackie is saying "This is war" but I may be wrong

Guest kchild702

[

Thank you so much for the translations....you are great....the preview does it sound really bad for DC in what they are saying? The previews drive me nuts over the week until Monday.I think Jackie is saying "This is war" but I may be wrong

anytime marie :D

yea i think it's looking bad for them kuzz they r fugitives on the run. in korea the country is so small where can u run to?

What Jackie says in the preview I know there is a "W" sound one way or another. War against STH and the Ferrit guy would be great....War or DW both are really good...I bet DC and YH go to the priest and he marries them and they spend the night somewhere around there. My guess is he turns himself in so that YH isn't on the run...As long as he and MH don't die I am good with it. It looks the Uncle is going to help smooth things out... I hope

Guest kchild702

What Jackie says in the preview I know there is a "W" sound one way or another. War against STH and the Ferrit guy would be great....War or DW both are really good...I bet DC and YH go to the priest and he marries them and they spend the night somewhere around there. My guess is he turns himself in so that YH isn't on the run...As long as he and MH don't die I am good with it. It looks the Uncle is going to help smooth things out... I hope

u know from the preview STH is saying just pray DW catches DC and jackie really fast.

i think STH is scare of Jackies retalitation.

man...i realized STH's resiliency in doing so many bad things is really uncanny...it was no surprise that he used MH, JH (thru TH) but i thought deep inside of him he would at least see his real self within him to not caused DW after realizing that is his true son to go beyond the unbelievable in turning dark...

i've never seen such a dark character in a Kdrama before like STH...and adding to that DW...the total 180 degree opposite in turning dark...in the name of justice...

it did made me think of our real life conditions of our Gov't with all countries (i'm sure we have a diverse group of people here from other countries)

EOE maybe dramatic in portraying this (it is a drama) but it has enhanced my thinking more...

I'm watching ep 53 right now, and I am so amazed with MH and PHJ's acting.

In the end, MH proves that he IS the one who loves JH more. When JH was in need, MH was willing to sacrifice everything for her, where as DW wouldn't even stop to speak to her, how ironic.

I hope the DC/YR morning in bed scene is real. They deserve just a little bit of fluff, after both of them being shot at numerous times...

Guest dreamloverShiWon

Ep 54 was painful to watch..I wish I could slap some sense into DW, as well as DC for being too kind to him.

Guest fjkuan

I'm watching ep 53 right now, and I am so amazed with MH and PHJ's acting.

In the end, MH proves that he IS the one who loves JH more. When JH was in need, MH was willing to sacrifice everything for her, where as DW wouldn't even stop to speak to her, how ironic.

I hope the DC/YR morning in bed scene is real. They deserve just a little bit of fluff, after both of them being shot at numerous times...

DW has no love. no one to love, and no one loves him. Even when DC said he loves him, he doesn't want it. JH doesn't want to see him anymore. I'm glad JH saw the light and is back with MH. DC always has YR. DW? nobody.

Yea, that bed scene, is it another illusion? I don't think so. I'm keeping an optimistic view for a happy ending.

Guest binbaby

Daily TV Rating - [Tuesday 2009-03-03]

TNS

Nationwide Rank / Show / Network / Nationwide Rating / Seoul Rating + Rank {if different from Nationwide}

Boys Over Flower <꽃보다 남자> episode 17 (KBS2) - 29.9%

East Of Eden <에덴의동쪽> (MBC) - 24.5%

Credit:kdramafanusa

The rating for the whole series hovers at a stagnant rate for most of the last 10eps.This is clearly the signal how the nation's viewers are expressing their verdict. Just wonder why the pd and his team are still in" alice wonderland " about their work. They just blew their last chance with this week very weak plot. I seriously doubt this drama will stand the test of time.

From the preview for the 2nd last episode, there is nothing really exciting to wow its viewers with a fitting realistic worthwhile finale .Just hope they will not copycat sandglass finale.There is still a lot of plots unfinished...with lots of question marks?? For me it is still the big hooha YR asylum/mental plot which I feel is pretty useless and aimless and never fit into the plot of EOE at all. Then What the heck is it for with so much air time allocated in the first place if it is for nothing.It is like pouring production buget money down the drain .Thus giving injustice to the Rebecca ,Janice plots if undeveloped further

And hopefully it is not the finale with a compromise ending to please just about everyone with no regards to the plot and story line .It would be the worst if it happens

But we have to keep in mind what kind of audience is watching EoE. The viewers are much older and with much more purchasing power.

Guest edenlove

*sigh*

there's a silent majority that love EOE and see it as good drama to watch ever since at the beginning since August of 2008...a lot of these people had to endure a lot of constant attacks from people who just love to bash the drama without giving a reason as to why they keep watching it?? <_<

Oh dear... how did you end up like this? Just smile~

Come to think of it, the drama is never painful to watch, but the words that we read is.^^

I actually don’t see it as major flaw cause I saw DC keeps looking back and shows his concern. Are we running a double standards here? How many times DC has to place himself in danger just to save the people he loves and cares? This is the only exception that he has to run out of situation.

If there is any flaw, I think the one who represents the “justice” actually needs some boost on his EQ, IQ and if possible some decent humanity.

Can't agree more. It's a terribly difficult situation where the real justice is missing.

Last time, DW was so smart, but now, he is really stupid. Now he doesn't know what is right and what is wrong. As a prosecutor, i think he is not qualified. I can't adapt the way he changes too fast.

About Myung Hoon, when he carried the important documents to go somewhere alone, he was stupid too. He should know that it was dangerous. :wacko:

Guest edenlove

and what of Dong Wook's fiance was it subterfuge or something, I haven't heard a single person talk about her since she was announced after Lee Da Hae's departure a number of episode back. Let me guess she's the silent type...so much so that she's invisible to everyone and everything around her.

According to sources, her character got negative feedback/protest from some group of fans. They have to drop the character (DW's fiance) due to pressures.

As for other characters: Janice the actress is pregnant in real life. Rebecca may or may not re-appear, as she might not have signed the agreement for extension(?). The last few episodes should focus on the main cast.

TNS

Nationwide Rank / Show / Network / Nationwide Rating / Seoul Rating + Rank {if different from Nationwide}

Boys Over Flower <꽃보다 남자> episode 17 (KBS2) - 29.9%

East Of Eden <에덴의동쪽> (MBC) - 24.5%

The rating for the whole series hovers at a stagnant rate for most of the last 10eps.This is clearly the signal how the nation's viewers are expressing their verdict. Just wonder why the pd and his team are still in" alice wonderland " about their work. They just blew their last chance with this week very weak plot. I seriously doubt this drama will stand the test of time.

ohhh gosh darn it! EOE pd/writers can you please make the story even worst!!??

hmm i think the 24.5% part is a mistake...i think it should be in the low teens like 10-12% ratings, 24.5% is a bit stretching it because the story is sooo horrible and stupid, it doesn't make sense anymore...WHY WOULD ANYONE WATCH THIS SHOW!!?? IT'S SUCH A WASTE OF TIME!!!

TNS rating may be more recognised historically, however its credibility was questioned recently (for BOF ratings).

AGB

EOE: 26.5% (Seoul 28.4%)

BOF : 26.6% (Seoul 27.3%)

http://ent.sina.com.cn/v/j/2009-03-03/15412400103.shtml

This article commented that EOE is able to keep its viewership due to its star cast, commendable acting, and revenge theme being the current drama trend. EOE has a consistent average of about 25% over the past six months. So even this rating is not good enough to be considered 'stand the test of time'?

EOE maybe dramatic in portraying this (it is a drama) but it has enhanced my thinking more...

DW may be hated by many here, but he still has some supporters who attempted to understand him with fair and insightful analysis in the Chinese community. Being dramatic but perhaps also requires deeper thinking of its intentions and plots. For e.g. in Ep 54, we may all say DW is so stupid to fall into STH's trap, but wouldn't it be that STH is much smarter (and evil) this time with the tactics used, as he quoted from "Art of War".

Guest fjkuan

According to sources, her character got negative feedback/protest from some group of fans. They have to drop the character (DW's fiance) due to pressures.

As for other characters: Janice the actress is pregnant in real life. Rebecca may or may not re-appear, as she might not have signed the agreement for extension(?). The last few episodes should focus on the main cast.

This is really disappointing to hear. Rebecca as I consider is part of the main cast since she was a key person who wanted to take revenge on STH. Janice is pregnant in real life? She is starring as Iljimae's mother. DW's fiance never really made a mark in the drama. The person I hope would re-appear is Rebecca so she can conclude her mission. Right now, her disappearance shows a lack of good management for the EOE production and thus affecting the quality of the script and drama.

Guest edenlove

Rebecca as I consider is part of the main cast since she was a key person who wanted to take revenge on STH.

She is only a supporting cast. I guess she has put up a good performance hence her role was elaborated more than planned. In the early script planning, her character would have died much earlier in the drama.

She may or may not be dead by the final episode, depending on how she will be connected back.

But we have to keep in mind what kind of audience is watching EoE. The viewers are much older and with much more purchasing power.

You are right on the dot on the age group. Thus it is more important for the writers to give a script that is believable by these age group. Unfortunately people in these age group or generally anyone does not take whatever plots that is just thrown back at them. Mostly,they tend to analysis it deeply.When it does not make sense, they will speak their mind The production team should not underestimate the intelligence of its viewers.Instead they should understand their audience in the first place and treat these people with due respect with their plots.

When characters go missing for no reason or when a plot does not make sense,these viewers have a right to voice their opinions .Mind you, they have been following this series for a long time and the PD team should not take these lightly and sweep them under the carpet just so to cover up their mistakes and blunders or to sacrifice them for the sake of the flavour of the day .By doing that means they have lost their focus on the main story theme.

Mostly viewers are here to support and enjoy the show and it would have taken alot for them to state their mind when it does not make sense at all.At the end they just want a good storyline.

BTW The beginning plot of EOE is a well scripted work and I for one thoroughly enjoyed watching it .Writer Na did an excellent script and the actors were great bringing them to the screen.Highly commendable for their effort.But through the pen of the new writers, I find the change in DW character swayed too much and too fast and it gives an unbalanced depth to the character range of DC and DW within a very short time frame . In reality a brotherly bond of that magnitude do not change that fast and that drastic.Why the PD team is going down that route is a puzzle to me.The reason for the rivalry could have been more creative or the plot came in too late in the series.For DW, a character who topped in the law entrance exam,( not an easy task), one of the reason for the rift because of his brother's love for another person and woman is just not believable for a man his age and calibre. Maybe when he was a young teenager.

Also JH and MH characters swayed to and fro just to suit the flavor of the day unfairly so much so their characters especially JH character in ep 53-54 becomes very silly in my opinion.I for one do not know who she represents cos the follow up from the villain to the victim is just not convincing enough.

As a noble mafia boss, you do not jump ship to be a fugitives runaway because you have the welfare of your men first-that is the basic code of the secret brotherhood society in exchange for total loyalty.Your men left behind will be sought after and reprimanded by the law enforcers no matter what.maybe only in EOE it would not happen.

Then the topic that is bugging me is the infamous YR asyslum/mental plot that just disappeared without a valid reason.To me a half completed plot is a waste of production resources and funds.The long meticulous screen time allocated does not justify that it should be dropped or the writers changes their mind halfway.. If that is the reason, then EOE as a whole will loose its credibility as a well written script without any outside involvement.

The list can go on with Rebecca whereabout which I feel also is crucial to the main plot.We have then the Janice/DC US frigate lobbyist plot that just disappeared from the radar screen.These are questions still hanging up there for many viewers at this late stage .

Hopefully it will end on a realistic note with the same verdict though tarnished by the middle plots-a well connected collected team work and not just to glorify one actor against another.In the end the main theme needs revisiting ie,its moral value, its family value, its real message to the audience needs reinforcing again. we do not want a fairytale ending just a well meaningful finale .Finally,the asset of EOE is its pool of talented casts not just one or two.

Archived