Who Is Prettier & Your Favorite ?

Gong Li

1165391762030t1rwa5cj9.jpg

Date of Birth

31 December 1965, Shenyang, Liaoning Province, China

Height

5' 7" (1.70 m)

Mini Biography

Born in Shenyang, grew up in Jinan, the daughter of an economics professor. Loved music from childhood, and dreamed of a singing career. After failing to gain entrance to China's top music school in 1985, applied for and was admitted to the Central Drama Academy in Beijing, from which she graduated in 1989. While still a student, was cast as the female lead in _Hong Gaoliang (1987)_ (aka "Red Sorghum"), the initial directing effort by Yimou Zhang. China's best-known actress in the West, she was named Best Actress at the 49th Venice International Film Festival for her role in Qiu Ju da guan si (1992) (aka "The Story of Qiu Ju"). Made a series of successful films with Yimou Zhang, a collaboration that apparently ended with the breakup of their personal relationship in 1995 and Gong's subsequent marriage to a tobacco company executive.

Spouse

Ooi Wei Ming (15 February 1996 - present) (separated)

Trivia

Was included in People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People.

Representative of Shanghai Tang line of clothing.

Graduated from the Central Drama Academy in Beijing (1989)

Personal favorites: Meryl Streep, Dustin Hoffman

Received New York Film Critics award for Ba wang bie ji (1993) (aka Farewell My Concubine).

Dated Yimou Zhang [1987-1995]

Head juror of the 2000 Berlin International Film Festival

Head juror of the 2002 Venice Film Festival

Head juror of the 2003 Tokyo International Film Festival

Member of jury at the Cannes Film Festival in 1997

Her performance as Juxian in Ba wang bie ji (1993) (aka "Farewell My Concubine") (1993) is ranked #89 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).

The youngest of five children.

Had a song written about her by the Red Hot Chili Peppers ("Gong Li").

She was presented the French government's Ordre des Arts et des Lettres in June 1998 for contributions to the cinema.

Was chosen and honored as one of TIME Magazine's "60 Years of Asian Heroes".

Youngest person to be honored with the "Trophy of the Festival" award at Cannes.

Can understand English but is uncomfortable in speaking it off camera and in interviews. Usually finds its easier to learn her lines for her English speaking roles phonetically.

Michael Mann and Rob Marshall refer to her as the "Meryl Streep of China".

Beauty ambassador for L'Oreal cosmetics.

Her father and her older sister both died of cancer.

Maggie Cheung

xin25120308163167010571ym8.jpg

Date of Birth

20 September 1964, Hong Kong

Height

5' 6¼" (1.68 m)

Mini Biography

Maggie Cheung was born on September 20, 1964, in Hong Kong, and moved at the age of eight with her family to England. After finishing secondary school, she returned to Hong Kong, where she began modeling and appearing in commercials. In 1983 she participated in the Ms. Hong Kong pageant, winning first runner-up, which proved not to be a detriment since she went on to become a star of both Hong Kong television and film.

Spouse

Olivier Assayas (26 December 1998 - May 2001) (divorced)

Trivia

Member of the jury at the Berlin International Film Festival 1997.

First runner-up Miss Hong Kong. [1983]

Spokesmodel of Hermes.

Spokesmodel of LUX shampoo.

Clean (2004/I) was turning point in her career. Before this film was made, she was only offered the roles of beautiful Asian women in Western films.

Olivier Assayas wrote the characters of Maggie Cheung (in Irma Vep (1996)) and Emily Wang (in Clean (2004/I)) specifically with her in mind.

The first Chinese actress ever to win the Best Actress award at the Berlin International Film Festival (1992 - for Yuen Ling-yuk) and Cannes Film Festival (2004 - for Clean)

Her parents are Shanghainese. While she cannot speak the dialect, she understands it.

In Hong Kong, she has been handed every role she has played since she was 18 without an audition.

Wanted to be a hairdresser as a child.

Was offered a role in X2 (2003) but turned it down because "If I start making films like that, they won't be proud. I'd feel like I was cheating. And I don't want half the world, we have 1.3 billion people in China, to know I'm cheating. That matters to me. I have more pride than that."

Learned French for her role in Augustin, roi du Kung-fu (1999).

Grew up in Bromley, Kent, when she lived in the UK.

Signed her divorce paper with Olivier Assayas on the set of Clean (2004/I) which was directed by her ex-husband.

She and Tony Leung Chiu Wai made 7 movies together: 2046 (2004), _A Fei jing juen (1991)_, Dung che sai duk (1994), Fa yeung nin wa (2000), Haomen yeyan (1991), _Sediu yinghung tsun tsi dung sing sai tsau (1993)_ and Ying xiong (2002). They also starred together in a short-lived tv-series: _"Sun sap si hing" (1984)_

Acted in 6 movies with Brigitte Lin Ching Hsia, whom she considered her idol and an actress she respected.

She was a finalist to star in Memoirs of a Geisha (2005).

Declined lead role in "Memoirs of a Geisha" because of racial sensitivity between the Japanese and the Chinese, due to WWII.

Although an icon of Asian cinema, she is actually a European with extended residence in Hong Kong.

Member of the jury at the Venice Film Festival in 1999.

Member of the jury at the Cannes Film Festival in 2007.

PICS

gongbz8.jpgmaggie4eb6.jpg

gong20li203nb3.jpgmaggiecheung2dh0.jpg

gonglipicture6aw3.jpgmaggiecheungxz4.jpg

CREDIT :IMDB AND GOOGLE

This is just friendly poll do not bring it seriously!!! :) ... I think both of them have many things similar !!!

I like maggie better. She's more diverse... she played funny girl-next-door roles, jaded hookers in gangster flicks, the heavy drama roles and even crazy mad comedic roles. The thing about her is that she has this ability to switch from mischievous/bubbly to elegant/graceful...

Gong Li is famous for her intensity onscreen... all the roles she had played so far are heavy, emotional ones that undoubtedly demonstrate her capabilities in acting. But otherwise... she doesn't do much of other types of roles...

Guest Vino de Jerez

i think more people will vote for gong li, cos she acted in more movies that are viewed by youngsters these days compared to maggie.

I've always liked Gong Li: great actress, gorgeous lady. But I love Maggie Cheung for her versatility, as seen even in those above pictures - she's like a chameleon. So my vote goes to Maggie.

Guest chipmunkvoice

Does anyone know the story behind the Red Hot Chili Peppers and their Gong Li song? .... xD

but anyways... my vote went to Gong Li

I like gong li more...

she has the charm that even a girl can be attracted to her...

i just watched her curse of the golden flower... i think she acted really good in it. =)

Guest huangmeixi

Does anyone know the story behind the Red Hot Chili Peppers and their Gong Li song? .... xD

I wanna know too.

I like Maggie Cheung a lot too, but she really can't compare to Gong Li for me.

Gong Li is to begin with definitely got her beat in looks, and for me, in acting as well. If you look at her performances, they are so nuanced and so believable. Maggie is good too, but Gong Li makes me completely forget that it's a movie.

If you look at To Live, you'll be amazed at how much she and Ge You seemed like a real couple, and her warmth as a mother shines through despite her having none of her own children. It's amazing. She's amazing.

But I like Maggie too.

Let's just say that Maggie is the top of current HK cinema actresses, and Gong Li is at the top for mainland China.

Guest niyamit1976

yeah, i want to know too !!! maybe Gong Li 's Die Hard Fan ;) will tell us about this !!! :D

-edit-

i think more people will vote for gong li, cos she acted in more movies that are viewed by youngsters these days compared to maggie.

i agree , every polls that Gong li in she always wins lol ... anw, i think Maggie is the best competitor coz both of them are in their 40 and also Beauty ,Sexy ,Acting , Famous and Awards !!!

Guest My Sweet September

Maggie Cheung <3 Although Gong Li is more VA-VoOM pretty, Maggie has a classically beautiful face. Eh, they both rock at acting!

Guest happypiano

maybe it's because i'm from mainland china or maybe it's because of my mom... but i've come to respect gong li a lot a lot. she's golden. ;)

Guest Ce'nedra

A bit hard to choose considering both are superb actresses. The only reason why Gong Li is more popular these days though, is because she continues to act while Maggie Cheung has stopped for the last couple of years already (Gong Li is also better marketted and known to the West).

Hmm...I'd probaby choose Maggie for her versatility. She has more range imo. But both are still great.

Archived