Wireless Routers

minisaurus

I was wondering what kind of routers you guys could recommend since I'm planning on getting a new one. I don't really know the specifics, but I'm generally looking for something that's pretty fast and inexpensive. Any recommendations?

I'm not sure if this is in the correct place but if it isn't, Mods please move it. Sorry.

i use linksys at home and it works well. im not as found of d-links web config interface.. but if you dont really care, any name brand b/g router is good. and additionally, i would stay away from the wireless N for now because of price and i dont think the standard has been finalized yet...

linksys_router.png linksys WRT54G <-- the one i have

I agree with what people are saying about the Linksys router. Highly recommended!

Other options would be any of the Wireless G Broadband routers from D-Link.

I wouldn't worry too much about G & N, because N is still the draft and G is the standard.

The N does give you increased benefits in speed and range. But it does bring up two points: the speed will be unnecessary because if you're only surfing the internet, the speed will be bottlenecked by your internet connection. In other words, it doesn't matter how fast your ROUTER is... your connection speed won't ever max it out. Second, as someone mentioned earlier... you won't get the increased range without the right adapters on your computers which in the long run will require you to drop another bill on an adapter. However, they are backwards compatible as someone said before. Cheers

Although this isn't about which routers to buy...

I was wondering how to properly place your router to get the maximum effect. I have no choice but to place my router(Linksys 802.11g) downstairs when all our computers are situated upstairs, so how should I position it? Same question for the wireless adapter =/

Guest Melitus

I use linksy...MUCH MUCH better than d-link. I've own a d-link before and it basically broke down on me and the internet was alway slow or choppy. sometime the connection is cut off...-_-. Go with what others recommended, even though links may be a bit more expensive..it is worth it.

using WRT54GL flashed w/ DD-WRT firmware.

i just discovered dd-wrt yesterday. it works wonders. it allowed me to hook up an old wrt54g(v1) to my old xbox (xbmc) so it can connect wirelessly to my other wrt54g(v5) and the computers in the house...so i can stream movies, dramas to the xbox/tv.

I use linksy...MUCH MUCH better than d-link. I've own a d-link before and it basically broke down on me and the internet was alway slow or choppy. sometime the connection is cut off...-_-. Go with what others recommended, even though links may be a bit more expensive..it is worth it.

agreed.

Although this isn't about which routers to buy...

I was wondering how to properly place your router to get the maximum effect. I have no choice but to place my router(Linksys 802.11g) downstairs when all our computers are situated upstairs, so how should I position it? Same question for the wireless adapter =/

id suppose you'd position it in an open area (ie. not in the closet) with the antennae pointing in the air. i also heard that using tinfoil behind the router antennae like a satellite increases the throughput/range of the router..but thats another story :P my router is downstairs and my xbox and laptop are upstairs, and the connection is pretty strong. you dont need line-of-sight to get a strong connection.

Archived