[drama 2009] The Return Of Iljimae 돌아온 일지매

Guest cutiepie

Guest cliniquegirl28

does anyone know who is subbing this drama? i would love to watch this....i love iljimae with lee junki, but this one, i want to watch too...

Guest yeohweping

http://content.mbc.co.kr/english/drama/08/1728011_25450.html

il_b.jpg

Running time 60 min

Starring Jung Il-woo, Yoon Jin-seo, Kim Min-jong, Jung Hye-young

Director Hwang In roe, kim Su-yeong

Writer Kim Gwang sik, Do Yeong-myeong

Episode 24 Eps

Synopsis

He was born out of wedlock and his father was a high-ranking Champan official while his mother was a lowly servant. To protect the honor of his father’s family, he was abandoned as a baby and tucked underneath an apricot tree. He was given the name Iljimae (A branch of Apricot Tree).

Iljimae was adopted by a family who lived in the Qing Kingdom. After tracing his roots back to Korea, his father rejects him once more.

With a heavy heart, he returns to his country and unleashes his anger upon the ruling class to fight their injustice and tyranny for the sake of the commoners. Wherever he appears to uphold justice, he leaves behind a single branch of an apricot tree...

Wol-hee is the one woman in Iljimae’s life who reconnects him to the world as he lives an isolated existence and hides his face behind a mask to be a hero to the people.

==========================

cast01.jpg

Iljimae, a hero who appears when the world needs justice. / actor Jung Il-woo

Although he is a handsome man with delicate features, he also has a strong sense of justice and chivalry. His first love dies tragically and after living an aimless life due to his broken heart, he meets Wol-hee, who is very similar to his first love. He became a legendary hero in the kingdom but his destiny is one of loneliness and heartbreak, making him a lonely and melancholy hero.

cast02.jpg

Wol-hee, the woman whom Iljimae loves for his entire life. / actress Yoon Jin-seo

Iljimae loves her for his entire life and she loves him back unconditionally.

She was ahead of her times and displayed a strong, charismatic personality and a burning defiance against evil people. She took control of her destiny but in Iljimae’s presence, she would turn into a shy woman.

cast03.jpg

Koo Ja-myung, Underneath his charismatic demeanor he has a sad past / actor Kim Min-jong

He is a state investigator who is a sharp thinker. He rises through the ranks in the government as he distinguishes himself as a capable investigator.

He falls in love with Baek-mae, Iljimae’s mother, at first sight and continues to love her for his entire life. He tries to commit suicide when he becomes ridden with guilt for helping Iljimae escape from prison, compromising his principles because Iljimae is the son of Baek-mae.

cast04.jpg

Iljimae’s mother, a tragic figure who lives with a sad fate. Baek-mae / actress Jung Hye-young

She was sexually violated by her master, a noble, and after she became pregnant, her baby was taken away from her before she could even give him a warm motherly hug. Then she was banished from the noble’s household and for most of her life, she yearned to be reunited with her son Iljimae.

She throws away the jewelry that her master gave her to buy her silence and becomes a court lady in the palace. Though she is from the servant class, she learned how to read and write by watching the privileged children learn the alphabet. She writes poetry. She has inner beauty as well as beautiful looks.

That is why Koo Ja-myung became attracted to her and pledged his undying love to her. Though she sets strict limits on what she will tolerate in a relationship or friendship, she has a warm heart but keeps that side of her under wraps most of the time.

Guest Happy_Day

My translations of the character descriptions from the official website. Enjoy!

Iljimae

“My purpose in life is to destroy those who don’t deserve to live in this world. I will break the neck of anyone who tries to stop me!”

Born out of wedlock between his nobleman father and servant mother, Iljimae is thrown out into the frosty night, under a single plum blossom. For the sake of his father's success, he is born into such dark loneliness. However, it is not his fate to die so easily. He is taken in and cared for by a beggar called GulChi and brought up under the guidance of Buddhist master YulGong. His looks are as delicate and fine as a girl’s, and he has the spirit and disposition of a heroic man with a strong sense of justice. He carries tremendous pain throughout his entire life from being abandoned by his father as well as a lost relationship with his mother. And the terrible separation from his first love DalYi at her execution; DalYi who disappeared from his life into thin air, for a crime she did not commit. From a lifetime of pain and separation, Iljimae naturally keeps a distance from people and avoids getting deeply involved with anyone. He is like the wind, always whisking away from those countless women besotted by him before he is held down.

For a long time, he is taught under the influence of father figure YulGong. Brimming with anger and revenge, he returns to the people as hero Iljilmae. In the far future, Ilijimae even stops Joseun from being sold into the hands of another, becoming a legendary hero to the entire kingdom. But his lifetime of pain and the lonely destiny he was born into separates him from the world as a lonely man.

WolHee

“Come back the way you are.

Just as you are.

Don’t get hurt and don’t get caught…”

The woman destined to receive Iljimae’s greatest love for their entire lives.

When Iljimae returns to Joseun from China in order to find his real parents, he meets this bright woman WolHee who looks identical to his first love DalYi, the one person who poured all her warmth and love into his bleak existence. So when Iljimae meets WolHee, she captures his heart at once because of the resemblance. She is Iljimae’s destined lover who helps him tremendously in his purpose. Although she cannot receive a verbal promise of love from Iljimae, with her sweet, pure appearance and unfailingly bright personality, she becomes the only light and balm in his weary life. She becomes his refuge, a place to find peace. To the man who must hide behind a black mask and live with the burden of being a hero to the people, she becomes the eyes, ears, and mouth connecting him to the world. She is the woman of Iljimae's lifetime.

Somebody please..Could you translate this correlation chart into English?

iljimae2correlationcharre3.jpg

edit: actually i translated what was in the chart. description wise, i know there's more to it than what's in the chart based on the profiles of the characters. (oh and fixed a typo)

Guest Happy_Day

Anyone know anything more about that girl who's connected to Iljimae as "Engaged to marry"? I can't find her on the official website.. :(

It says she's the princess of Moran, or maybe it means Moran Princess. How is Iljimae engaged to a princess?! Hmm..

ahh i cant wait!!! i love il ji mae. i know this will be good. hope i dont get confused with the other il ji mae story, since it's gonna be different ^^

Guest Happy_Day

I translated the official character descriptions of the four main characters in ILJIMAE. Enjoy!

Iljimae

“My purpose in life is to destroy those who don’t deserve to live in this world. I will break the neck of anyone who tries to stop me!”

Born out of wedlock between his nobleman father and servant mother, Iljimae is thrown out into the frosty night, under a single plum blossom. For the sake of his father's success, he is born into such dark loneliness. However, it is not his fate to die so easily. He is taken in and cared for by a beggar called GulChi and brought up under the guidance of Buddhist master YulGong. His looks are as delicate and fine as a girl’s, and he has the spirit and disposition of a heroic man with a strong sense of justice. He carries tremendous pain throughout his entire life from being abandoned by his father as well as a lost relationship with his mother. And the terrible separation from his first love DalYi at her execution; DalYi who disappeared from his life into thin air, for a crime she did not commit. From a lifetime of pain and separation, Iljimae naturally keeps a distance from people and avoids getting deeply involved with anyone. He is like the wind, always whisking away from those countless women besotted by him before he is held down.

For a long time, he is taught under the influence of father figure YulGong. Brimming with anger and revenge, he returns to the people as hero Iljilmae. In the far future, Ilijimae even stops Joseun from being sold into the hands of another, becoming a legendary hero to the entire kingdom. But his lifetime of pain and the lonely destiny he was born into separates him from the world as a lonely man.

WolHee

“Come back the way you are.

Just as you are.

Don’t get hurt and don’t get caught…”

The woman destined to receive Iljimae’s greatest love for their entire lives.

When Iljimae returns to Joseun from China in order to find his real parents, he meets this bright woman WolHee who looks identical to his first love DalYi, the one person who poured all her warmth and love into his bleak existence. So when Iljimae meets WolHee, she captures his heart at once because of the resemblance. She is Iljimae’s destined lover who helps him tremendously in his purpose. Although she cannot receive a verbal promise of love from Iljimae, with her sweet, pure appearance and unfailingly bright personality, she becomes the only light and balm in his weary life. She becomes his refuge, a place to find peace. To the man who must hide behind a black mask and live with the burden of being a hero to the people, she becomes the eyes, ears, and mouth connecting him to the world. She is the woman of Iljimae's lifetime.

BaekMae

“The plum blossom blooms in the snow and shivers in the cold

And burned in my youth, Mother cries in separation from you”

BaekMae, the mother of Iljimae.. the one reason she is able to endure her tragic destiny.

As a servant in a noble household, BaekMae is raped by the family's son and gives birth to Iljimae. The baby is taken away from her before she can give him a motherly hug. Then, she is thrown out into the streets, and later becomes a court lady. As a woman with stunning looks and kind, pure eyes, she captures the heart of another man at once, government investigator GooJaMyung. However, because of the terrible harm done to her in the past, she despises and fears all men. She knows of GooJaMyung’s sincere feelings toward her, but she cannot accept him for a long, long time.

Throughout her entire life, BaekMae yearns for her son Iljimae; and this woman who lives such a tragic life eventually cuts off her relationship with GooJaMyung, hiding away in isolation. She puts all her energy and love into growing ginseng, caring for them like they are her children. In this way, she is able to calm a little part of her pain and sorrow.

GooJaMyung

“I saw you once twenty years ago

And during those twenty years

There was not a moment when I did not think of you.”

Behind his cold appearance hides his purity and sincere love, government investigator GooJaMyung.

Reknowned for his sharp mind, unfailing perception, and smart judgment, GooJaMyung rises quickly in the government to a top position. In a twist of fate, he meets BaekMae in his youth, and he gets to know everything about her and her tragic past. From then on, he looks at no one else but this woman BaekMae. He always looks after her and worries about her son Iljimae, and he tries to help them both in any way he can.

In an effort to calm the people, GooJaMyung runs into Iljimae and later helps him in a moment of crisis.

To him, Iljimae is BaekMae's son before he is a thief. Because of Iljimae, GooJaMyung is constantly in a dilemma between state law and his own affections. GooJaMyung is the figure of an exceptional man possessing strong morals and principles as well as great skill; and because of this, he is often thrown into danger.

Happy_Day: I really appreciate the translation..

Il Woo Ji Mae..What is he doing on the roof? :D

2009012144266249pj5.jpg

THAT'S OUR HERO GIVING US A SIGN THAT HE'LL TAKE CARE OF THE BAD GUYS FOR US!!!!! B)

Anyone know anything more about that girl who's connected to Iljimae as "Engaged to marry"? I can't find her on the official website.. :(

It says she's the princess of Moran, or maybe it means Moran Princess. How is Iljimae engaged to a princess?! Hmm..

^ i didn't see anything on the official site either. that's why i just went with Princess Moran.

edit: does it help that moran (모란) is Korean for the flower 'peony'....? :lol: rofl.

btw :) i liked your translations of the profiles.

Guest Happy_Day

^ Peony?! Haha.. Well, I feel sorry for this Moran Princess or Princess of Moran, because Iljimae will love only WolHee his entire life. :( I wish we had a bigger pic of her coz she looks pretty, looks kind of like SuhJiHye.

I think this drama will make me feel really sorry for a lot of people. Like GooJaMyung.

Thanks for your translations as well!

Guest yeohweping

Actually if you see the line attached to IlJaeMae from the China side. It stated China adoptive parents for the pair of older cast, so either Princess Mo Ran is their daughter or they arranged for his marriage with the Princess before he came back to korea.

cast06.jpg

Guest Happy_Day

^ Omg, I love her too! And she's a fantastic actress. I remember she was always getting the villainess roles, so I'm really happy that she's now getting bigger and better roles.

Iljimae's adoptive mother in the SBS version wasn't bad either. So many beautiful older actresses. =P

Archived