[drama 2009] The Return Of Iljimae 돌아온 일지매

Guest cutiepie

Guest Happy_Day

OMG I am so freaking excited!!!!!!!!!!! This looks so dark and epic. And with only one love interest for Iljimae.. =P

By the way, I'm a huge fan of the woman playing Iljimae's mother. She is absolutely gorgeous and has the most beautiful voice ever. She's also a fantastic actress. I've followed her work for many years.

By the way, I'm a huge fan of the woman playing Iljimae's mother. She is absolutely gorgeous and has the most beautiful voice ever. She's also a fantastic actress. I've followed her work for many years.

is it mother or sister?? :blink:

Guest sharry

Omg after my withdrawal from Dramas last year (since i thought very few were good) this drama has me so psyched over it.

the way the story and the looks are going its so serious and intriguing. I love a strong story and this is convincing me more and more that it could become great. Thanks for all the updates. i hope to contribute more.

Can't wait. It's going to take me a while to get used to the new iljimae dude since I saw him in High Kick. I can't seem to picture him as Iljimae. D:

Return Of Iljimae Sold To Japan

January 13th, 2009 // by javabeans

20090106090107004.jpg

Return of Iljimae hasn’t started airing yet (it kicks off next week), but it’s been sold to Japan for $1.32 million (that’s $55,000 per episode, 24 episodes total).

A production company rep explains that the series was sold after buyers saw a mere 10-minute selection of highlights.

Pre-sale of a series to Japan or other Asian countries isn’t that unusual for very anticipated series (like East of Eden or A Star’s Lover), but what I find odd is that unlike those other series, Return of Iljimae doesn’t feature any big actors — the leads (Jung Il-woo, Yoon Jin-seo) are relatively new even in Korea, not to mention internationally. The supporting cast is more experienced (Kim Min-jong, Jung Hye-young), but they’re not at a carry-a-show-with-my-fame level. Furthermore, it’s a Korean historical drama without flashy fusion tricks.

The prodco rep said that for these reasons, the sale was a happy exception from the rule (of how series are usually exported with big names, big ratings, or flashy premises). I’m choosing to look at this as a positive sign for the series. (*fingers crossed*)

Return of Iljimae is MBC’s next Wednesday-Thursday drama and begins on January 21.

Via Asia Economy, Yonhap News

credit: dramabeans

Return Of Iljimae Sold To Japan

January 13th, 2009 // by javabeans

Return of Iljimae hasn’t started airing yet (it kicks off next week), but it’s been sold to Japan for $1.32 million (that’s $55,000 per episode, 24 episodes total).

Pre-sale of a series to Japan or other Asian countries isn’t that unusual for very anticipated series (like East of Eden or A Star’s Lover), but what I find odd is that unlike those other series, Return of Iljimae doesn’t feature any big actors — the leads (Jung Il-woo, Yoon Jin-seo) are relatively new even in Korea, not to mention internationally. The supporting cast is more experienced (Kim Min-jong, Jung Hye-young), but they’re not at a carry-a-show-with-my-fame level. Furthermore, it’s a Korean historical drama without flashy fusion tricks.

i'll comment on the bolds...

because Japanese also read Korean comic books...AND THEY LOVE THE STORY OF ILJIMAE period!!

IWssi and the cast must have really performed solid acting and some cool fighting scenes in that 10 minute showcase for Japanese buyers to be really impressed of....so yes, my faith in this version is strengthen if international buyers decide to purchase rights to show this drama in their home country.

hopefully it'll be an overall entertaining drama :sweatingbullets:

Young Star Jung Il-Woo Returns With "Iljimae"

January 13, 2009 at 8:55 pm

n2009011213342911701kc2yn8.jpg

Young star Jung Il-woo is back as the stylish and righteous warrior Iljimae, the Joseon Kingdom’s Robin Hood. Originally a comic strip, it has been made into dramas most recently last year. But MBC is aiming to bring the popular storyline to the next level with “Iljimae Returns” (working title).

“It’s an old story, but the plots and characters are very modern. I just thought Iljimae was charming and cool, but as I started to get to know him better, I realized that he was actually a very sad person. I still need to analyze him,” Jung said at the press conference for the drama last week.

“Iljimae” was a comic serial strip series in the Daily Sports, a daily newspaper focused on sports and entertainment, from 1975 to 1977. The work of famed cartoonist Ko Woo-young, its catchy plot and interesting characters helped it become a hit and it’s only just reached its peak in popularity.

Jung will be the third actor to portray Iljimae after fellow actors Jang Dong-kun and Lee Jun-ki. Jang appeared in a 1993 drama and Lee in the SBS drama.

The two Iljimaes ― Jung and Lee ― are drastically different in terms of their clothes, personalities and objectives, but comparisons are inevitable.

While the previous Iljimae was focused on the fight between conservatives and progressives and other social matters, the new Iljimae will look more into his personal life, including the love story between him and the heroine, Weol-hee, played by Yun Jin-seo, while still offering his journey to justice and peace, just like the original comic.

When asked about the pressure he might have experienced by playing a character who was already popularly portrayed by someone else, Jung was up and ready to receive the criticism.

“I am fully prepared to receive viewers’ and fellow actors’ criticism” he said.

Born in China, Iljimae was sent to Japan, where he spent his early years before heading to Korea for his acts of heroism, still trying to find himself and the love of his life. Due to having lived in three different places, the drama took Jung to Taiwan and Japan for more realistic settings.

Jung had a particularly difficult time getting used to his character, as it was his first portrayal of an athletic warrior and the main character of a historical drama.

“I was overly exhausted after working non-stop for more than five months. I had to pay a few visits to the emergency room and sometimes the medicine was so strong I didn’t feel like myself. But now, I’m trying to keep myself fit in order to continue filming,” said Jung.

Being such a versatile character, Iljimae could be interpreted in many ways, but for producer Hwang In-roi, the original was the way to go.

“The cartoon is more than 30 years old but the characters has more than just literal value. The power of the original work is so strong that many may start reading it again. We have strived to make our Iljimae totally similar to the original character and I hope viewers enjoy our efforts,” Hwang said.

Amid high anticipation and the fun of comparing Iljimae’s different incarnations, “Iljimae Returns” will start airing at 9:55 p.m. Jan. 21 on MBC.

Source: Korea Times

Picture Source: Go News

Credit: seoulfull.wordpress.com

Archived