The Continuous Decline of Korean Music Sales..

Guest ` k s

Guest xshinhae05x

yeah... korean singers usually don't get HALF of what american artists get...

their money usually comes from going on variety shows and Commercials

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ` k s

The sales figures came out for the month of February and they are really good! After following Hanteo, I expected sales to be low but they're really good according to miak.or.kr. Why is there such a big discrepancy between the two?

ex: LSY sold 90,000 copies for february. It sure didn't seem like it according to the weekly hanteo chart.

Guest ilovekoreanboiz

not really, surprisingly, japan's cd sales actually increased in 2005.

well it was also noted that at least in japan... most still believe in the honor system...

where people would by the music they download...

the dowloading scheme was provided for people to "sample" the songs...

so they will buy the cd/music if they like it...

however, it had an adverse effect compared to the other regions =.=

Guest aznfishyfart

How much are albums in Korea? I think CDs should be $10. I'm always buying CDs when they're $10, if it goes up to $11, I don't buy it. It's some kind of robotic move with me. I know that it costs to bring CDs here from Korea, but I'd rather go to Korea, buy it for $10 and bring it back here.

lol so ur gonna spend $880+ to buy a CD for 1$ less and bring it back

so now ur down 799$ instead of 1....

im sorry but i dont get ur thinking

and also...korean CDs are really cheap compared to many many others...especially in japan

a japanese album is $40+....a single is at least $15

also how come nobody mentions shin hye sung much...

he sold so many CDs....the most in a few years....

Guest ` k s

^ shin hyesung did sell alot (183,000 CD+MC) but not the most in a few years. he was 5th overall in sales in 2005. but still, hes doing well :)

The sales figures came out for the month of February and they are really good! After following Hanteo, I expected sales to be low but they're really good according to miak.or.kr. Why is there such a big discrepancy between the two?

ex: LSY sold 90,000 copies for february. It sure didn't seem like it according to the weekly hanteo chart.

Hanteo's sales figure do not include pre-orders (i.e. sales before the albums were released). MIAK does. Singers like Lee Soo Young has a lot of pre-orders everytime she releases an album.

That's one thing I don't like about Hanteo and MIAK - their figures never tied up to each other. But other than the pre-order sales, I'd say Hanteo's daily and weekly sales figures are more accurate than MIAK's monthly figures.

Guest Mirae-chan

Most likely not. Everyone just DLs too many mp3s =/ I'd love to support all my fave artists but since I got my iPod (so I dont need to lug a million cds) my mom just says to DL =/ .. and it's pretty hard to find K-Pop stuff here in TO ..

honestly, ever since the creation of ipods and mp3 players i dont think hardly anybody will be buying cds since there's mp3 players now. I believe u.s makes money also from the itunes site you know where peple has to pay money to get mp3 songs but then theres also those internet websites that get free mp3s. sooner or late, cds going to become "old fashion" just like how cassette tapes are right now. I bet you in 10 years the artist will be selling mp3 cds instead. haha. just kiddng. but im just thinkinkg.

Guest echoxd

actually some american artists are selling mp3s...i forget who.

but sites like zdegrees needs to be out of the public reach because they just have EVERYTHING!

im guilty of dl too from there, but i know i'd stop if they made me pay a fee or w.e....

Guest niccin

i also think it's the global thing...record sales are declining everywhere...

that's why singers r acting and going overseas more anxiously these days..

take Boa for example, her album sales are not that great anymore...but stars like Boa sells her album in numberous countries, which accumulates her sales to a substential number..

it's impossible to go back to the million record sales days....

i'm not saying that it's a good thing, but singers used to earn so much money that it's almost like robbing...now...it's come to a balance between the singers and the average ppl...(successful singers still earn more)

i still think ppl generally do support good music though, like SG Wanna Be, they only came out in 2004, and last yr they were the most selling singer/group ...400000's is not a bad number..

KJG's also sold over almost over 300000 now...

ppl used to buy albums based on 1 or 2 songs they've listened on TV, now that ppl can dl music and all that, ppl have the choice not to buy unworthy albums anymore....but i've also got to say that ...ppl do like free things...including myself, although i still buy about 1 CD a month averagely.

also, i believe that the sales will go up as more and more top singers r coming back this year (there wasn't that many top singers coming out last yr)..in korea....

as there's more competitions, more albums will be sold....

look at LSY, her 7jib 'Grace' has sold over 170000 already (from 1/21 up til now)...

those top singers will still do just fine...

Guest ichigo_no_powder

i know it's really sad. unless if they do something about pirating/downloading, I highly doubt the numbers will improve. This reminds me of a documentry they had on tv, they said for example some of the top HK artists who used to sell, let's say 500 000, are now lucky if they can even make 200 000 sales

Guest BendyStraw

because of album sales compared from 2000 and 2001 alot of artists who debuted in 2001 never returned because companies believed they were failures... but they really werent >< just those darn downloaders BUY UR KPOP!!! DO IT!!!

Guest Surreal

BoA's agency SM Entertainment said, "Since BoA limits her performance to the

Asian region, she is not that famous in the Western music world. But considering

the Japanese music market is the second largest in the world, we can say that

BoA sells the most records in the world."

look at the album sales.. globally they are still really low

what a clever and bullcrapping way by SM to cover up for their embarrassing album sales. how does BoA sell the most in the world in ANY WAY? Ayumi debuted first in the united world chart so there's really no excuses. yuck..disgusted by the way they try to cover upfacts.

Guest tenshiii0ox

I only download one or two songs from an album, to see whether I like them or not, or really old songs. I usually buy CD's. When my dad's on business trips, I ask him to buy 3 pages worth of CD's. Goodness, I spend nearly $150 for CD's each time. Come to my house, and you'll see a whole shelf of CD's. I believe in supporting the artists. So everyone, buy CD's rather than downloading!!! It doesn't hurt to show your support by buying CD or two. :)

If that is in fact true, does anyone know what the Japanese Music Industry has done to prevent decline? I'm guessing Japan and Korean both have mp3 downloading issues and whatnot but if they're able to still have good sales, perhaps Korea should start doing the same thing Japan is doing.

I think it's because most Japanese cds have that copyright thingy that prevents you from ripping music onto your computer and that makes it more difficult to find? So people just probably buy the cds instead. :vicx::unsure::P

I buy my cds too, but there's sooooooooo many artists' cds that I want to buy but I can't otherwise I'd be broke just from buying cds. So I buy and I download. I only buy the cds of the artists I really really like. SO yupo :D

Guest kkam jjak

i don't think is any hope unless some computer genius can makeup some sort of software so that music cannot be downloaded for free... or.... some genius can make some sort of special cd that can't be ripped, but i doubt any of these would work cuz at some point another genius will figure out how to get around it so that illegal downloading and such could work...

i'm also worried about the movie industry... movies in america havent been doing good n with the screen quota cuts in korea... looks like korea's entertainment industry is gonna suffer even more and will try to depend more on the hallyu wave

Archived