[Movie 2009] The Relation of Face, Mind and Love / Love is Blind 내눈에 콩깍지

pechumori

Kang Ji-Hwan     Lee Ji-Ah
  fullsizephoto99428.jpg
Details:Cast: Kang Ji-Hwan, Lee Ji-Ah, Lee Dong-HoonDirected by: Lee Jang-SooGenre: Romantic ComedyRuntime: 1 hr and 47 mins.Release Date:November 5, 2009
SynopsisTalented Architect Tae-pung Kang (Kang Ji-Hwan) becomes involved in acar accident. Because of the accident, Tae-pung encounters visual impairmentwhich makes it hard for him to make out features on a person. Then one day,he meets what he believes is a beautiful woman named So Jung-Wang (Lee Ji-Ah).In actuality, So-Jung is not a beauty queen as Tae-pung believes, havingmany facial blemishes.Meanwhile So-Jung is unaware of Tae-pung's visual impairment and becomesextremely flattered by the approach of this handsome man. In fact, this isthe first time in her life that a man has hit on her. So-Jung who works as ajournalist for an animal magazine, quickly falls for Tae-pung and romanceblooms between the couple.Tae-pung then leaves on a business trip. During his business trip, Tae-pung'svision reverts back to normal. When Tae-pung returns home he doesn'trecognize So-Jung, not even when she is standing next to him.from:asianwiki
Notes: "The Relation of Face, Mind and Love" opened #6 at the Korean Box Office selling 37,207 tickets on 147 screens and accounting for 3.8 % of all ticketssold during its opening Nov 6th-8th weekend.

This is Jack Black's "Shallow Hal" with a Korean touch. It's quite funny andentertaining and Kang Ji-Hwan once again proves his comedic flair. In this movie,we are again reminded of the famous adage that beauty is in the eye of thebeholder. Although, I must say, Lee Ji-Ah's character here is not such anugly duckling. She just happens to have some dental deformation, nothingthat a good orthodontist can't fix. So, if you want to watch something light andfunny, then this movie is for you.

id="firstHeading" class="firstHeading"The Relation of Face, Mind and Love

telecin2.jpg

• Movie: The Relation of Face, Mind and Love
  • Revised romanization: Eolgulgwa Maeumgwa Sarangui Gwangye
  • Hangul: 내눈에 콩깍지
  • Director: Lee Jang-Soo
  • Writer: Shizuka Oishi
  • Producer: Shin Hyun-Tae, Oh Nam-Suk, Yoo Hong-Goo
  • Cinematographer: Kim Seung-Ho
  • Release Date: November 5, 2009
  • Runtime: 107 min.
  • Genre: Romantic-Comedy
  • Distributor: CJ Entertainment
  • Language: Korean

Plot

Talented architect Tae-pung Kang (Kang Ji-Hwan) becomes involved in a car accident. Because of the accident, Tae-pung encounters visual impairment which makes it hard for him to make out features on a person. Then one day, he meets what he believes is a beautiful woman named So-jung Wang (Lee Ji-A). In actuallity, So-jung is not a beauty queen as Tae-pung believes, having many facial blemishes.

Meanwhile, So-jung is unaware of Tae-pung's visual impairment and becomes extremely flattered by the approach of this handsome man. In fact, this is the first time in her life that a man has hit on her. So-jung, who works as a journalist for an animal magazine, quickly falls for Tae-pung and romance blooms between the couple.

Tae-pung then leaves on a business trip. During his business trip, Tae-pung's vision reverts back to normal. When Tae-pung returns home he doesn't recognize So-jung, not even when she is standing next to him ...

Notes

1. Part of the "Telecinema" series - a planned 7 part joint production between SBS (South Korea) & TV Asahi (Japan). All segments will screen first in the cinema, then broadcast on television in South Korea and Japan.
  2. "The Relation of Face, Mind and Love" opened #6 at the South Koreen box office selling 37,207 tickets on 147 screens and accounting for 3.8% of all tickets sold during its opening Nov. 6th-8th weekend.
  3. Other titles from the "Telecinema" series:
    1. The Relation of Face, Mind and Love | Eolgulgwa Maeumgwa Sarangui Gwangye (2009)
    2. Postman to Heaven | Cheongukui Woopyeonbaedalbu (2009)
    3. 19-Nineteen (2009)
    4. Triangle (2009)
    5. Paradise (2009)
    6. After the Banquet | Gyeolheunsik Hueo (2009)
    7. A Dream Comes True | Dolmengiui Kkum (2009)

10710993_1471601073116609_18478665296463

Additional Cast Members:

credit:  Asianwiki

• 2 years later...

Profile of the lead actor Kang Ji Hwan

id="firstHeading" class="firstHeading"Kang Ji-Hwan1424456_1471600816449968_385939039585615

• Name: Kang Ji-Hwan
  • Hangul: 강지환
  • Birth Name: Jo Tae-Kyu (조태규)
  • Birthdate: March 20, 1977
  • Birthplace: South Korea
  • University: Hoseo University
  • Height: 184cm
  • Blood Type: B

Movies

Drama Series

Awards

credit: Asianwiki

Profile of the lead actress Lee Ji Ah

id="firstHeading" class="firstHeading"Lee Ji-Ah1780661_1471600799783303_195077059665694

• Name: Lee Ji-Ah / E.Jiah
  • Hangul: 이지아
  • Legal Name: Kim Ji-Ah (이지아)
  • Birth Name: Kim Sang-Eun (김상은)
  • Birthdate: February 2, 1978
  • University: Pasadena Art Center (USA)
  • Height: 168 cm.
  • Blood Type: A
  • Talent Agency: KeyEast

Movies

Drama Series

Recognitions

Profile of the supporting actress

id="firstHeading" class="firstHeading"Hwang Jung-Eum10635991_1471600836449966_60736968068930

• Name: Hwang Jung-Eum
  • Hangul: 황정음
  • Birthdate: January 25, 1985
  • Height: 167cm
  • Blood Type: O
  • Twitter: @JungEum
  • me2day: @hje8412

Movies

Drama Series

Awards

Kang Ji-hwan joins the telecinema experiment
by javabeans | February 18, 2009

kangjihwan_152.jpg

Based on the recent news, it seems this whole Japan-Korea joint production “telecinema” project is finally kicking into high gear.

Despite some actors’ names being floated around as participating in various segments of the project (such as Han Hyo-joo, Lee Soo-kyung, Cha In-pyo, Kim Sun-ah, Kim Haneul), I wasn’t really interested until this latest one announcing my Kang Ji-hwan‘s involvement.

Yay! And yet, also boooooo — because it sounds like it may possibly end up really lame. Still, hope remains alive as long as he gets to show his acting chops, unoriginal story notwithstanding.

As was announced last year, the two-country telecinema collaboration pairs famous kdrama directors and producers with top Japanese drama scriptwriters, featuring a cast of Hallyu stars. The project is an experimentation in format, because it will be released both theatrically and on television. The TV broadcasts will be shown simultaneously in Korea (on SBS) and Japan.

Each individual segment will comprise 120 minutes, to be first shown in cinemas (they’ll release sometime before September), followed by television airings sometime after September. The segments will be broken into two hourlong “episodes” when shown on television.

kangjihwan_04.jpgleejia_54.jpg

1. “The Relationship Between Faces, Hearts, and Love” [얼굴과 마음과 사랑의 관계]

This is Kang Ji-hwan‘s segment, co-starring Lee Jia (nooooo!).

(I don’t dislike Lee Jia. She’s all right. But I don’t understand why she keeps getting cast opposite actors who are light-years ahead of her in experience and ability — Kim Myung-min in Beethoven Virus, Bae Yong-joon in Legend, and now Kang? I want to know who she’s related to.)

This segment will be directed by Lee Jang-soo (of kdramas Love Story in Harvard, Stairway to Heaven) and written by Ooishi Shizuka (of jdramas Four Lies/Yottsu no Uso and First Love).

Kang Ji-hwan plays a character who suffers brain injury in an accident, which gives him odd visions that make him see ugly women as beautiful, and vice versa (uh, Shallow Hal anyone?). Lee Jia plays two roles — one (or perhaps both?) falls in love with Kang’s character in this “comic melodrama.”

credit:  dramabeans

Kang Ji-hwan, Lee Jia in telecinema project

by javabeans
| October 9, 2009

telecin_1.jpg

Finally, some more news about that large-scale, multiple-installment, Korean-Japanese co-produced “telecinema project.” The release date has been set as November 5 for the segment starring Kang Ji-hwan (Level 7 Civil Servant) and Lee Jia (Style), which has a new title: Love Is Blind [내눈에 콩깍지].

I think the new title is a big improvement, since the tone of the film is much lighter than the initial working title, which was the much more unwieldy — and serious-sounding — The Relationship Between Faces, Hearts, and Love.

A refresher for those unfamiliar with this telecinema thing:

The entire project comprises multiple productions, each with its own plot and cast, written and directed by a different team. Because it’s a joint production between Korea and Japan, each segment pairs a Japanese screenwriter with a Korean director. Each individual segment clocks in at roughly two hours, and will be released simultaneously (or nearly simultaneously) in both countries, in theaters AND on television. The movie theater version will screen much as a normal film, while the television portion will air in two hourlong broadcasts. (Here’s a breakdown of each of the segments.) Some details may have changed from the original synopsis; for instance, it originally planned for nine stories, but has settled on seven.

Phew, sound ambitious? It is, and it isn’t. While the entire telecinema project encompasses multiple films, they each have their own team working on it, so its scope is manageable. It’s the format that is ambitious, since it is putting a lot of work and coordination into a new(ish) model of distribution, which may be a wild success or fall very short of expectations.

As for this specific plot:

Love Is Blind is a romantic comedy that shares a lot of similarities with the premise behind Shallow Hal: It stars Kang Ji-hwanMINE! as Kang Tae-pung, a “perfect man” who possesses the trifecta of charm, wealth, and skill. When he suffers a car accident, he starts experiencing flashes of hallucination and falls in love at first sight with Wang So-joong (Lee Jia), a woman without charm, wealth, or skill, with an “especially problematic” face, to boot. She doesn’t know about his hallucinations and thinks she has finally met her match in this “witty and humorous” story.

Love Is Blind pairs director Lee Jang-soo (Shoot the Stars, Stairway to Heaven) with writer Ooishi Shizuka of jdramas Four Lies (Yottsu no Uso) and First Love.

Stills from telecinema project Love is Blind
by javabeans
| October 15, 2009

telecin2.jpg

Here’s the newly released poster for Love is Blind [내눈에 콩깍지], the segment of the telecinema project starring Lee Jia and Kang Ji-hwan. The romantic comedy features Kang Ji-hwan as a good-looking, capable, and charming guy who falls for an unattractive woman (Lee Jia) while experiencing a visual impairment that makes him see unattractive people as attractive.

For this role, Lee Jia has shed her refined image for an imperfect one — her character has blemishes and freckles on her face and crooked teeth. I don’t think she looks “ugly” enough to be considered, well, ugly — but the character isn’t just meant to be physically flawed. Her personality also leaves something to be desired, as she’s unperceptive and immature, described as “yupgi” or bizarre. Her one unique skill is the ability to mimic animal expressions — she is friendlier with animals than with people — which explains the dog and chimp stills below.

telecin3.jpg

telecin4.jpg

telecin5.jpg

Via Now News, Asia Economy

Love Is Blind stills featuring Kang Ji-hwan
by javabeans | October 18, 2009

telecin_8.jpg

First we saw Lee Jia‘s supposed transformation into an ugly duckling, now we see her dapper co-star in the telecinema project Love Is Blind [내눈에 콩깍지], Kang Ji-hwan(mine).

It does seem that due to Kang Ji-hwan’s “visual impairment,” the unattractive and unpersonable character played by Lee Jia will be portrayed at least some of the time using the actress’ usual stylish appearance. Aside from that, there’s not much to add about the plot since that’s been covered in previous posts. Love is Blind opens on November 5.

telecin_13.jpg

telecin_14.jpg

telecin_10.jpg

telecin_11.jpg

telecin_9.jpg

telecin_12.jpg

Via Newsen
credit: dramabeans

[REVIEW] Film "My Love, Ugly Duckling"

Love is like a car accident

2009110516450262506_1.jpg

At the opening ceremony of the 2008 Beijing Olympics, there was a pretty little girl who sang in a sweet, beautiful voice. But people were shocked when they found out that the pretty girl was actually lip-synching to a song sung by a different girl. More than a few people were dumbfounded by this incident, brought on by a society obsessed with physical beauty, Japan's veteran TV drama writer Shizuka Oishi was no exception. Watching the lip-synching girl, the writer started to wonder, “People say it’s the heart that counts, not looks.. but isn’t that just a saying too?” That curiosity led to her writing about a love story full of the ups and downs between an unattractive woman and an attractive man. A team composed of a Korean director, Japanese writers and Hallyu stars came together to make the film “My Love, Ugly Duckling”, the first of the telecinema project series.

Kang Tae-poong (played by Kang Ji-hwan) is a handsome and successful architect who, after a car accident, suffers from temporary visual disability and meets the goddess of his dreams. During the two days that he sees beautiful women as ugly and ugly ones as beautiful, he falls in love with Wang So-joong (played by E Ji-ah), the most unattractive woman of them all. But, as it turns out, Wang, an ugly Cinderella who has won the love of a prince, is no girl with the heart of gold. Wang is a fearless, hot-tempered woman who also firmly believes in the importance of outward beauty -- her philosophy is that “a man should be beautiful”. Of course, in the disabled eyes of Kang Tae-poong, she is “a goddess who is beautiful on the inside as well as the outside”. But when the magic of visual disability wears off, can Wang still be riding on the horse of her white knight?

2009110516450262506_2.jpg

“You are the goddess that I have been dreaming of.” “You are lovely. You are a gift that God has left for me.” The two characters are almost like they popped out of a comic book: Kang Tae-poong is absolutely nonchalant when uttering such classic and cliche, Harlequin-like dialogue while Wang So-joong confuses us with her sometimes-ugly-sometimes-beautiful-but-hard-to-tell appearance. Writer Oishi, who has written dense stories in different genres -- traditional drama, melodrama, human drama -- in previous works including “Handoku” and “First Love”, shows the correlation between love and looks in a humorous way, but it is hard to find a specific point where we can laugh our heads off or worry about love. Korean director Lee Jang-soo, who is known for creating tear-shedding melodramas like “Stairway to Heaven” and “Beautiful Days”, attempts for a new approach by splitting the screen (like Marvel Comics) and uses various special effects but the result is only occasionally refreshing and at most times distracting. The film finishes up leaving the viewer feeling awkward, as if wearing an ill-fitted suit, despite the efforts of a great writer and director. The ending, which looks like the one we have already seen in the movie “Shallow Hal”, also comes off as a hasty stitch-up to the story rather than a conclusion.

But it is premature to jump to conclusions about the entire telecinema project based on this film alone. Starting with “Duckling”, which opens on November 5, a total of eight telecinemas are set to open every week, including “19-Nineteen”, starring Big Bang members Top and Seung-ri, and “Mailman of Heaven” starring TVXQ’s Hero Jaejoong and Han Hyo-joo. The telecinemas will first be aired in Korea, then in Japan staring next January and air on Asahi TV program “Famous Movie Theater” in May.

credit: asiae

class="entry-title"Kang Ji Hwan and Lee Ji Ah’s “Love Is Blind” October 30, 2009

telecin2.jpg?w=474

Yipeeeeeee!!!

Kang Ji Hwan back on the big screen for the 3rd time this year!

After his successful feat in Rough Cut and 7th Grade Civil Servant, he’s now rolling on his movie stints in another upcoming tele-cinema project with Lee Ji Ah, titled Love Is Blind. You guys  most probably would have seen/heard lots about this movie from dramabeans (she apparently owns Kang Ji Hwan), but I guess some more of him (here) won’t harm? Cos everyone loves KJH no? hehehe..

I have to admit, the trailer spells CHEESY and CLICHE all over.  But it’s KJH we’re talking about here… and nobody can say NO to KJH, right?

Hopefully this movie will do better than 7th Grade Civil Servant, which really… altho it had my fav KJH and KHN, BORED me to death. Would never re-watch that movie for a million dollars or anything. It really was THAT BAD!

KJH deserves better… and this one better make it for him.

HWAITING Ji Hwan ssi!

credit:  ripgal

class="entry-title"Movie Monday: The Relation of Face, Mind, and Love (2009)The-Relation-of-Face-Mind-and-Love-2009.

Starring: Kang Ji Hwan, Lee Ji Ah, Hwang Bo Ra, etc.

Rating: PG-13/R

Time: 107 minutes

Twinkies: 

Synopsis: Celebrated architect, Kang Tae Pung (Kang Ji Hwan), gets into a car accident and suffers an odd aftermath of the event: he sees beautiful women as ugly and ugly women as beautiful. When he meets Wang So Jung (Lee Ji Ah), he is instantly smitten and even goes so far as to prepare to marry her…that is, until his odd side-effect subsides and his vision returns to normal.

Returning to his callous, superficial ways, he heartlessly rejects So Jung. By the time he realizes the true meaning of loving a woman, another accident comically gives him a taste of his own medicine.

Musings: So you all know that I adore Kang Ji Hwan, right?

What’s not to adore?! He’s tall, dark, handsome…and hilariously comical!  No matter how insipid the story may be, he has a way of bringing it to life and infusing it with some humanity…at least to me.

Such is the case with this movie.

The movie weaves a tale of silliness, superficiality, and the clichéd notion of a handsome-drop-dead-gorgeous man falling for an-incredibly-unattractive-but-kind woman. And yes, this stereotypical story has the woman be the “epitome” of goodness, rewarded with the handsome man once he redeems himself as a piece of humanity.

Sounds like a movie right up my alley, right? I so wanted to like it, if not love it.

Unfortunately, this was not the case.

The movie starts out promising enough–after all, it’s got Kang Ji Hwan–but that is NOT how it ends. As much as I love Kang Ji Hwan and his attempt to give his character some substance, there’s only so much that can be done when the leading heroine Wang So Jung (Lee Ji Ah) is incredibly superficial, concocting romantic fantasies and a promising future with Kang Tae Pung (Kang Ji Hwan) simply because he is handsome. As is the case with many grand “love” stories–the most prominent culprit in my mind being Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet–this story is more a case of lust at first sight rather than the quintessential love at first sight.

But then again, perhaps that was what the writer and director were trying to do–upend the clichéd story of a rich, handsome guy falling for the pathetic, unattractive girl. In any case, I found the movie interesting to watch once…but I doubt I’ll watch it again…unless I have a craving for Kang Ji Hwan. ;)

Granted, I appreciated the critique of the fleetingness of the outer beauty and how it’s really the inner beauty that ultimately matters. I even chuckled at bit at the end when Tae Pung gets a taste of his own medicine when So Jung develops a similar symptom after a bonk on the head. However, the story is told a bit too bluntly for my taste and without very much finesse.

Overall, I found my beloved Kang Ji Hwan’s talents unable to compensate for the weak story to lure me back for a second viewing or a higher twinkie rating than a 3.

So, why the “Movie Monday” selection, you ask? As much as I wouldn’t watch it again, it was a decent movie, and I thought some of you fellow Kang Ji Hwan fans would enjoy watching our dapper Kdrama star play the arrogant, handsome man he portrays so well. LOL

credit: koreandramareviews

class="date-header"Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Review: The Relation of Face, Mind and Love

TRBFML.jpg

It’s impossible to watch this film without thinking about Shallow Hall but I’m not going to compare it with Shallow Hall since I no longer remember its details. But I remember the good feeling I had after watching it which I didn’t get after watching The Relation of Face, Mind and Love.
I was like: ‘Why? Why did they have to take that extreme? It could be really good!’
And I hate having that kind of feeling after watching a movie/drama. I watch to be entertained and not to be riled up.
First of all, Kang Ji Hwan is one of my favorites. Therefore watching the Relation of Face, Mind and Love was quite enjoyable for me. It’s a treat to see my Prince looks like a Prince.  
However, as much as I enjoyed seeing Kang Ji Hwan I didn’t feel quite that good afterward, no, even during the watching of the movie.  
I hate the way they portrayed Lee Ji A’s character as a super ugly girl when she’s so far from ugly (adding two more teeth doesn’t change anything). There’s nothing wrong with So Jung Wang besides her teeth. She’s not fat, she’s not short, she’s not deformed, and so many other nots.

TBFML0.jpg

Moreover the story happens in South Korea for heaven sake, a country known for its obsession with plastic surgery. What’s so difficult about fixing your teeth when that’s all it takes to turn you into a goddess.
If they made her into an unattractive or a simply plain looking ordinary girl the story would be more believable and easier to swallow. 
Believe it or not I actually like the main characters – although it is done by kicking my brain out so I could accept the premise that she is the ugliest girl in the world and that he (the Prince charming) falls for her anyway.
I like how Tae Pung Kang (Kang Ji Hwan) could see beneath the surface and realize that it’s the girl he has fallen in love with, but I don’t think such a Prince would ever fall for the ugliest girl in the world not when he has so many beautiful great women available for his picking.

TBFML00.jpg

I also like Lee Ji A’s character who doesn’t seem to be bothered or depressed by her face that makes her the ugliest girl in the world (she’s so ugly that she turns head and makes people stop whatever they’re doing when they see her).
But where do you find a girl who could be that cheerful, confident and optimistic about everything if she’s that ugly? 
I’m not saying that ugly people should be depressed, lack confidence, and pessimistic, that’s not what I’m trying to say. What I’m trying to say is the message they sent is Lee Ji A’s character looks like an ugly monster when she’s nothing like that nor did she act like that. Things just don’t add up.
Writer-nim, I don’t mind leaving my brain behind and just enjoy whatever I’m watching – I did that all the time – but there are things that will bother you no matter how willing you are and how hard you try to be involved in the story. This is one of those things.

I like The Relation of Face, Mind and Love I only wish that it could be better so instead of just liking it I’ll be loving it.  Posted by Fixy
credit: sharingtotheworld

• 3 weeks later...

Archived