How Does The Environment Affect Your Appearance?

Guest Tayl

why is it that asians who grew up in america has a "white-ness" to them? even if you're pale or tan, if you ever go to asia, people can automatically tell you're not from asia. I know it's because we grew up in a different enviornment, but I don't get how your environment changes you so much. genetically you're 100% chinese, japanese, korean, or something else, but you still look so different.

This question sounded interesting to me =/

How do you think you would have looked if you were born and raised somewhere else?

Do you think "white washed" asians start to look different, from an asian who was born and raised in Asia?

Btw, I'm not just talking about changes in skin color, hair style, complexion, or dress style.

Off topic: Another pretty catchy song ^~^

I think if I was born and raised in mainland China, I'd be much uglier. I suppose it depends on which crowd you fall in with at school anyway. But for starters my hair would be scraped back by a scrunchie, and I'd wear round framed glasses.

I'd also have really messed up teeth, because the orthodontists are fairly on the incompetent side.

Ugh.

I doubt I could afford nice clothes and make up too if my parents stayed in China.

xD

Guest Namine

I think if I was born and raised in mainland China, I'd be much uglier.

xD

why?

i think im okay in canada

my skins a lot whitehr but DRIER

i like being in asia more T________________________T

Guest Lady Violette

well let's see what's my experience in both 'worlds'.

in america, asians think i'm from an asian country = not born in USA. it shocks the international students here at my college that english is my "native" language and i wasn't born in asia. i'm not sure how non-asians think about me but the ones i know always tell me i'm their fave asian lol.

when i visited taiwan, people went "OMG YOU'RE FROM AMERICA?!" only when my relatives said that out loud. people couldn't tell i was from america until i asked 'what is the currency exchange rate?' when i went shopping for the first time lol. and my skin got better in taiwan! i got lighter without trying too! so i would be better looking in asia lol.

i don't think i look white-washed but i know my personality and attitude are definitely white-washed. i have a feeling that if i was born in asia i would fall in love with america and since i'm born here i wish i'm in taiwan -_-

Guest alicimoo

I think I'd be taller if I stayed in Sweden because I stopped drinking milk and eating that healthy once I came to America. :vicx: If my diet stayed the same, I don't think my appearance would really differ since it's pretty much all genetics (and diet).

Guest MeriendaTime

I'm part Filipino and what I've noticed is that a lot of Filipinos that are born in the Philippines have longer eyebrows...like ALMOST a unibrow but not quite.

I thought that maybe it was because eyebrowing grooming isn't very big over there, but I remember..even as a kid, before girls start considering eyebrow grooming, I never saw a Filipino with 'longer' eyebrows.

Guest 한스 ㅋㅋ

Hair and sense of fashion is definitely one thing that will be really different.

I think that's how most people tell anyway.

Guest Stolen_waters

why?

i think im okay in canada

my skins a lot whitehr but DRIER

i like being in asia more T________________________T

SAME HERE! omg. My skin here in the US needs a LOT of moisturizing, as in it CRAVES for a moisturizer, but when I was in Asia, my skin would glow with just cleanser and toner.

About the skin tone, I guess I was just a bit darker when I was in Asia 'cause I was constantly exposed to intense heat and sunlight. The beaches were not that far too (and more tempting of course). :P

MeriendaTime

I was born in the Philippines, and I lived there for 20 years. My eyebrows and most of my friends' brows are neatly groomed.

Unibrows? Where did you go?

Guest plegend2007

Since I am a "Hapa", I don't think it will make a difference where I was at.

When I am here in the US, people have a hard time even knowing what ethnicity I am. When I am in Asia, it is the same :huh:

As for my appearance, my clothes might be different and maybe my sense of style, if I lived in Asia. Also, since I live right next to the beach in Cali, I pretty much have a tan throughout the whole year. If I lived in Asia, I probably would be a lot more paler.

Guest christee8876

whoahh my question was used for this topic.

cool.

I think if I lived in taiwan, I would probably have lighter skin and be less muscular because I wouldn't have grown up playing sports and I would also probably be skinnier because it's easier to eat healthy there.

I probably wouldn't have the americanized look that my relatives say I have either. haha

Guest Chibee

I'm kind of thinking when a foreigner visits a different country, people can usually tell from their language or the way they dress..

Guest Flicksityy

When I went to Hong Kong, most people recognized that I wasn't living around there due to my sense of fashion. It was around 2 years ago, my hair was dyed and highlighted, I had more than one piercing etc. Such traits at that time (probably still now) was rare for someone my age then (around 14?), because most schools there are strict in terms of the way you look.

However a physical change was that I grew a lot tanner in Hong Kong weirdly, I usually get burnt in Australia, missing that tan.

Guest BabyBib

I think that enviroment as well as ones diet really affects a person's appearance.

I mean, I am 100% cantonese, but I was born here in Norway~~ I've lived here all my life. I don't think that "white washed" asians LOOK different, but maybe we "carry" ourselves differently - like, how we act, speak, manners and gestures, etc. Whenever I go to Hong Kong I see lots of people staring at me. Whether it's because I'm ugly, dress differently or taller than them a lot of the people on the streets, I don't know, but we just stand out? xD

Something I've noticed is that if I stay in Asia for like two weeks or more, my skin looks totally different. No blemishes, blackheads - nothing, and it turns really... pale. o_o It looks really nice, and I don't even use anything except for milk cleansers on vacations. xD But whenever I come back home my skin will turn really bad again, and my suffering starts yet again~. >_> But honestly, I'm not sure which is better~~ Norway or HK. My skin might turn really nice because HK has really high humidity and it makes me sweat so much... aka clean pores? But yessyess, I'd definitely look different if I was born and grew up in Asia. :3

to me i don't think it really has to do with the way you "look" it's more of the way you "act".

i know that foreigners who go to Laos/Thailand are spotted quickly by the way they walk. because the land is so rugged

and not everyone wears a pair of shoes so the natives mostly walk with their feet 'side ways'? so other than being a white

person and you were an asian in another foreign asian country you can be spotted right away. also if you can't speak the

language too of course :D. but yeah, just the way you percieve yourself and how awkward you look because it isn't your

comfort zone. if i was born in my native country of course i think my skin would be "darker"? i don't know and maybe i'll be

more shy? :lol:

Guest I_play_with_dolls

Now that I think of it, I wonder what the people in Yamanashi thought I was from.

I think it's the way you dress, if I was ever to visit Laos I would immediately be known as a foreigner because I'm very pale compared to the majority of Laotians since alot of them are always in the sun. If I were to visit Bangkok, I'd probably still would be spotted as a foreigner by the way I dress.

I also think the place where you were born takes action on how you present yourself and the way you act.

Guest judyjudychan

hmm i dunno~

but i was born in taiwan but mostly lived in NY~

whenever i go back to taiwan, no one can tell im from NY

unless like my mom tells them and they're like wat? reallly!?~

only my relatives know~omg ppl in the street keeps asking me for directions and im just like O__o"

so i don't think it really matters??

Archived