Bf's friends that don't respect boundaries....

riti89

I've been dating my bf for 3 months now and during this whole time his 2 friends (who are girls) have been making things very uncomfortable for me. Initially (before we got together) one of them...let's call her Betty..Betty used to ask me if I liked my current BF. I thought that they had wanted us to get together and at the time I thought it was sweet. However, lately it's been really awkward. I was hanging out with my bf, Betty and let's call the other one Lisa...and another guy friend of his. Suddenly Betty hugs my bf, looks at me and goes "did you know it was supposed to be us?" taken aback and with natural instincts kicking in I asked, "why didn't it then?" and she says "because of you." I let it go at the time. Last night we went to another party where this time Lisa was hanging all over my bf and kept telling everyone that she was in love with him. It was uncomfortable to watch. 
Please keep in mind we are NOT in our teens. We are all either in our mid to late 20s. I don't understand what to do. My BF and I have been fighting a lot lately because of this. It's not that I don't trust him, I just don't understand why he's not setting his boundaries with them. When I tell him that he says "if you want me to, I'll tell them." My problem? why me? doesn't he feel weird too? Shouldn't he want to say something even if I don't?
I'm not sure whats going on or what to do. I've never been a situation like this before. In the past all friends have known their boundaries. This is getting just plain painful to watch. 
Any advice on how to continue? My bf doesn't want me talking to her about this and says he'll handle it...but I want to say something...should I just stay out and let him deal with them?

It might be too early to judge your bf atm, he is defensive, but that's natural and he probably wants to keep his friends. He needs too that though because their behaviors are def uncomfortable. If he doesn't really do anything for any longer, then that might be a bad sign/red flag. Dang, this sounds complicated.. I think he should be talking to them within at least a week, or else he's stalling.

I totally understand your expectations of him though. That you expect him to be on your side and take the initiative to stop them even without you asking. that'd be your wish, but your bf probably can't see that. everyone's a little short-sighted. but now that you told him exactly what's going on, he should know that their behavior is inappropriate and that it would be making you feel uncomfortable. Hope things work out.

He should have handled that before you told him. I don't think the problem is with the crazy girls. There are plenty of crazy girls out there. If he doesn't see what's happening even when you're telling him exactly what it is, then he needs to work that out on his own. Maybe he does see it and he just likes the bizarre attention.

Thank you guys! While my BF didn't talk to them a mutual friend brought up their bizarre behavior and how inappropriate it is. So far things seem to be going smoothly. I am still a little disappointed that my bf wasn't the one to initiate the conversation, but happy that now everything is out in the open. Hopefully going forward things will be better. Once again, thank you so much for your advice! :) this community is always available and always so helpful and kind. I really appreciate it! 

Guest writerstale

@riti89: He's not saying anything too much like he should as a man because he's got feelings for her still. In reality she's your bf's plan B. He may not tell you that because how does that look to you. In truth he should have let you step in and be like I'm his girl, etc. You know me I don't bs with you whether it's on here in this pm's (inbox). I think your bf is weak That's the part he should get you to speak up and then he should back you 100 percent. It's not just a it's your bf's issue. This one should've been a team issue that was handled together as a couple to show positive strength/solidarity as a couple. Your bf's idea of handle it is telling the other guy  I'm enjoying my time with gf(you) for now but we'll see what happens in the future. Doubt me and think idk what I'm talking about, but watch how things unfold. 
This happened to me when I was dating a girl a few years ago by another girl. It was strange. I'm a guy and this girl let's call her Jenny. Jenny knew I was dating let's call her Diana. Jenny was super friendly with me up until she saw me and Diana dating. Her behavior switched the moment she saw me dating Diana. Then it got worse we went to an art festival. The night we went to an art festival Diana and I were spending time together with another group that was a couple. We all met up with a bunch of people at one point. Jenny pulls me to the side and aggressively says, "Why are you and Diana dating. You two are total opposites. I don't get why you two are together. Telling me how I need to back off  and how I was following Diana like a puppy." I looked at this crazy girl and was legitimately confused. A few months ago she was super friendly in my face, but the moment I show interest in a woman I legitimately care for this psycho shows strong dislike; and true colors come to the light. 20 mins later idk what Jenny told Diana but I know it was some kind of lie because Jenny and Diana were tickling each other, playing around semi romantically, etc like they were both lesbians. I was disappointed that Diana didn't come talk to me because we used to talk about things then she stopped talking to me. Point being if I were you I'd learn from this experience and keep it pushing because this is not going to end well. Not saying that to be some hater. Just being honest with you.  

Guest writerstale

riti89 said: @writerstale thanks for your response! I can understand your concern as I felt them myself. However, I  trust my boyfriend. Since this incident he has gone out of his way to make sure I don't feel uncomfortable. 

• 2 weeks later...

your boyfriend should lay down the law. a friend who doesn't respect and acknowledge the love of their friends is not a friend.
a girl who tries to take you out a night on the town or a guy who tries to take you to teh strip club etc. is essentially putting a wedge between the relationship... maybe small, maybe big, but the fact is that it happened and resentment can stem from that.
your friends should not invite you out to be a s!ut or a player on a night out with them if they know you are in a relationship, it is a form of respect and consideration.

Archived