Does excluding certain ethnic groups or races in your dating preference make you a racist?

Guest rickertv2

Guest alisonwonderland

Depends on how you phrase it. Saying "eww I don't want to date anyone who looks SE asian, they look weird, etc etc" makes it sound racist, but saying you prefer certain physical features over others doesn't sound as racist--people naturally have preferences.
lol kind of reminds me of that scene in My Idiot Brother when the main character was like "I'm sorry, I don't want to make out with you [another guy]--does that mean I'm homophobic? I don't want to be homophobic".

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alisonwonderland

coolhandle

said:And just in case...definition of Mongoloid . . .

adj.1. Anthropology Of or being a major human racial classification traditionally distinguished by physical characteristics such as. . .

Guest Kyosukemox

I'm not racist, I hate everyone equally!

Jokes aside, preference does not make you racist.. I am assuming you mean actively being racism or discriminatory towards a certain race. I, for one, have only really been attracted to white, asian and mixes.. if you think that's racist then everyone is in some way or another! I'm not slandering the people I choose not to date or show no interest in.

It doesn't matter what ethnicity they are as long as they have morals, self respect, and they take good care of themselves...
and i've seen all kinds of men possess these characteristics, despite the color of their skin. 

when it comes to guys.... personality always wins over looks... not sure if its the same of us women
but i will take a man who has brains and a good heart over a "hot" guy ANY day. 
bill gates > ryan gosling (okay thats exaggerating it a bit, but u guys know what i mean!!! :P

however, i would prefer to date within my race if it is at all possible. 

Guest hearthealer

You start a thread that basically sets you up to be flamed and thn get frustrated when people do what you expected? What did you think? That everyone would just agree with you and tell you you're not a racist so you could go on thinking and feeling that way?
Either way, I'm from SEA, Singapore to be specific and i have none of the physical traits you described, i'm ridiculously fair (can't tan more thn 1 shade -__-), about 5'7", i don't have pouty lips though i wish mine were a little more bee stung etc etc etc...
The problem i have with you isn't that you hate those physical traits, it's that you've assigned them to a certain region and certain groups of people without much exposure, have you been to SEA? Ever? Just cause the select group of specimens you've seen have those traits doesn't mean the entire region is full of "dark, pouty lipped, short blahblah" people...
You can hate those traits and not find them attractive, but if you exclude an entire group of people because of a physical trait present in some of them thn yes, you're racist.
Would you like it if i said i don't date asian men cause they're all short and have lots to make up for in the bedroom department? Doubtful right? Or that i don't date white men cause they all have hairy ape-ish chests? (Btw, i've gone out with asian men and white men, like em both but i prefer asians cause we click better and this is just to show you how ridiculous your original statements were) :)

Guest rickertv2

Okay, I respectfully ask a mod to close this thread permanently. It's obvious there are self-righteous hypocrites posting just to give me a piece of their mind. 

Guest ReplayMVP

Oh Gosh...

Here, people aren't talking about the fact that you don't include SE Asians, it's simply the way that you described them so grotesquely. Whether you would be fine with your ethnic background being generalized in such a manner as you portrayed, most people, as you can obviously tell, don't.

Forget Anthropology, Genetic make-up and all of that nonsense. Think of it more on terms of mannerisms.

It's called proper decorum. At least I know for a fact that THAT is not an outdated concept yet, even for the internet, & something that isn't limited to hippies/hipsters, liberals, and self-righteous hypocrites.

People have the tendency to make judgements as aforementioned, but most people don't vocalize them so blatantly. It comes off as ignorant and just plain rude, especially in this case. Don't expect people to laud such behavior especially when you thrash them back simultaneously.

It's just ridiculous that you think people are attacking you indiscriminately. I know at one point I would pick fun for the hell of it, because immaturity trumps everything in my eyes (and frankly, I don't care either) but it seems to me that people actually take offense to it and this isn't for the wrong reasons.

If you had left this issue in the past instead of deciding to be so persistent in proving yourself right then you wouldn't having gotten what was given to you. Constant reminders and more exposure through separate threads only proved to be a detriment. Pure honesty.

To be honest, adults shouldn't be affected by others calling them names and looking down on them. It is immature and childish. The fact that people are attacking OP is proof. Hazing is a truth of life, and racism makes you stronger.
OP is simply helping SE asian girls become stronger by calling them names.

Guest ReplayMVP

^Yeah but in the end he's being offended by being called out on and flamed. I find that specific part ridiculous. There's immaturity stemming from everywhere.

Keep up with something only when you can handle it being reciprocated. That's how I feel. He's sounding like some sort of victim now. I'm just giving him the reasons as to why he's being treated this way. Lmao. The OP has done his part so he should at least be able to handle the backlash of name calling and etc, like you mentioned. Being a victim to your creation is pretty childish too.

And not only that, he doesn't even consider it name calling. It's more like a well-known fact to him, what he had said about SE Asians. Not even believing there are any hints of racism. Honestly, we can all deem that the generalization was clearly very racist whether he was aware or not.

Honestly, I just put in my two cents. This topic took such a horrible turn in such short time. It wasn't unexpected though.

Guest rickertv2

ReplayMVP said: Oh Gosh...

Here, people aren't talking about the fact that you don't include SE Asians, it's simply the way that you described them so grotesquely. Whether you would be fine with your ethnic background being generalized in such a manner as you portrayed, most people, as you can obviously tell, don't.

Forget Anthropology, Genetic make-up and all of that nonsense. Think of it more on terms of mannerisms.

It's called proper decorum. At least I know for a fact that THAT is not an outdated concept yet, even for the internet, & something that isn't limited to hippies/hipsters, liberals, and self-righteous hypocrites.

People have the tendency to make judgements as aforementioned, but most people don't vocalize them so blatantly. It comes off as ignorant and just plain rude, especially in this case. Don't expect people to laud such behavior especially when you thrash them back simultaneously.

It's just ridiculous that you think people are attacking you indiscriminately. I know at one point I would pick fun for the hell of it, because immaturity trumps everything in my eyes (and frankly, I don't care either) but it seems to me that people actually take offense to it and this isn't for the wrong reasons.

If you had left this issue in the past instead of deciding to be so persistent in proving yourself right then you wouldn't having gotten what was given to you. Constant reminders and more exposure through separate threads only proved to be a detriment. Pure honesty.

Guest rosebanks123

Sometimes other people may think you are discriminating other race that's why you won't choose them. But I think for me it's not a kind of discrimination or being a racist. Of course there are a lot of differences between me and the other one and I'm the type of person that wanted peace and harmony and I wanted a partner that has the same culture, practice, the same outlook and the same faith with me. If I consider others then there's a big possibility that there will be a lot of times that you will have a misunderstanding about your beliefs. No offense to other race but this is my opinion. For me it's not discrimination, I just don't want some misunderstandings to happen. So for me it's better to have the same race as yours.  

rickertv2 said: I said before on another thread discussion that I will not date SE Asian girls and will only date Asians that look like typical North or East Asians (Korean, Japanese, northern Chinese, Taiwanese, etc.). 
My question to all is this: does it make a person RACIST if he or she refuses to date a certain ethnic or racial group because of their physical characteristics? I want to know because I don't want to be labelled as a racist (and I know that I am not because I treat all racial groups the same). However, I also want to add that to accuse someone of being a "racist" because he or she excludes a certain ethnic or racial group in terms of wanting a romantic relationship is far-fetched and unjustifiable. I think these people don't know what racism truly is. Those are my two-cents on this matter.

Discriminating against any people in any way- jobs, social status, housing etc. based on their race is racism. If you discriminate against any people  in any way because of their ethnicity, social status , age, height, weight, philosophy , religion, political affiliations, or any of millions of other excuses to discriminate makes you ethnocentric.

If I like characteristics ABC, but dislike characteristics XYZ, and it just so happens that specific ethnicities are predominantly XYZ, I don't think that makes me racist.

Guest rickertv2

ajlee613 said: ok, ask yourself, if there was a SE asian girl, who LOOKED EXACTLY like East asian, would you still not date her? most people in your situation would probably date her if everything else about her was to your liking.
if that is right, then u are not racist, u are normal human being that has their own opinions on what looks good.

Guest rickertv2

showoff said:

If I like characteristics ABC, but dislike characteristics XYZ, and it just so happens that specific ethnicities are predominantly XYZ, I don't think that makes me racist.

Guest Gofishus

We're all subconciously racist. Here's statistical proof that every girl wants to date white guys, no one wants to date black girls (kinda sad)
http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/your-race-affects-whether-people-write-you-back/?a=1 

I think part of it due to history, part of it due to media. Historically (and even true to this day), Asia has been poorer than the West. After WWII, Korea was divided after a war, Japan was bombed to bits, China was suffering from a long civil war and a Maoist regime. The freedom and prosperity the US enjoyed after this period is something that alot of Asians wanted. And even now, Asians associate America with success, power, wealth, and unfortunately, white people. As an Asian, if I went back to China, people wouldn’t think of me differently, but if I was white, they would think of me as having wealth and power. And of course, Hollywood just makes it worse by exacerbating these stereotypes. Asian females are often given roles as the object of affection by Caucasian males, and Asian males are no where to be seen. It’s just unfortunate.

Archived