Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having more than one layer of eyelashes?

2»

Replies

• melkimxmelkimx momoPosts: 6,090Administrator

ADMIN

edited February 2012
    it is a mutation. and i know what you mean, because hearing "double layer of eyelashes" kind of makes my skin crawl for some reason. but apparently it's a pretty good mutation, as far as mutations go! elizabeth taylor had it (and who's more famous for her eyes than elizabeth taylor)?

might be connected to heart problems, though :(

http://www.slate.com...ful_mutant.html

Elizabeth Taylor: Beautiful Mutant
    By Roxanne Palmer
    Posted Friday, March 25, 2011, at 12:41 PM ET

110325_BB_ETaylor.jpg                    

The late Elizabeth Taylor was widely known for her violet eyes — so much so that she named her newest fragrance after them. I was slightly crushed,then, to discover that, by most official accounts,Taylor's eyes were actually a deep blue that appeared purple when enhanced by lighting and makeup. (Truly violet eyes occur only in albinos.)    

While she might not have had bona fide purple eyes, as anyone who saw Elizabeth Taylor onscreen knows, they were still arresting: large, liquid, and framed by a thick fringe of eyelashes. With respect to those eyelashes, Taylor apparently hit the jackpot, genetically. According to biographer J. Randy Tarborelli, just after her birth, Taylor's parents were ushered into the doctor's office and told that their newborn daughter had a mutation:    

"Well, that sounded just awful," the girl's mother later recall[ed], "a mutation. But, when he explained that her eyes had double rows of eyelashes, I thought, well, now, that doesn't sound so terrible at all."    

Double rows of eyelashes are usually the result of a mutation at FOXC2, a gene that influences all kinds of tissue development in embryos. FOXC2 mutations are thought to be responsible for, among other things, lymphedema-distichiasissyndrome, a hereditary disease that can cause disorders of the lymphatic system in addition to double eyelashes.    

The eyelash mutation isn't always as cosmetically enhancing as Taylor's turned out to be — the extra eyelashes can sometimes grow inward and damage the cornea. And it turns out that 7 percent of people with lymphedema-distichiasis syndrome also suffer from congenital heart disease. Taylor herself had a history of heart problems — in 2009, Taylor underwent surgery to repair a "leaky valve", and her death on Wednesday was attributed to congestive heart failure.    

The late actor Richard Burton, who accounted for two of Taylor's eight marriages, was oddly dismissive of her beauty, saying that she had a double chin, an overdeveloped  chest, and short legs. But, he conceded, "she has wonderful eyes."    

Special thanks to Dr. Janet Sparrow and Dr. Stephen Tsang from the Ophthalmology Department at Columbia University, and to makeup artist Elias Gutierrez.           

Photograph of Elizabeth Taylor courtesy of Getty Images.      

• Dew.Dew. Posts: 96Member
    Eyelashes not growing in single file ≠ multiple layers of lashes. If you haven't noticed that you have especially thick lashes, then you probably don't. Just sayin'.
    BrannethsallyensayuriSceau
  • hellcatcountesshellcatcountess Posts: 130Member
    edited February 2012
    And finally, someone had to talk about layers of lashes here on Soompi. Appeared to me as lashes growing down and up randomly but I see that they are filed in a way that I can lose the upper half of 'em with the lower part still appearing to be full. I have 2 layers. And it's difficult for me to draw a line close to the edge of my lids because of this.
  • !Lei!Lei Lurker Posts: 767Member
    FireDragon wrote on 22 February 2012 - 02:32 PM:

Looks like I have 2-3 layers too... and again...only Soompi makes me study my features (my nose, my eye shape, lines on my lips, etc.). O_o

This.

And I have 2 full layers. And a third layer at the middle that gets sparser---to non-existent at the sides. :)

I get compliments on my lashes all the time because they're just..."a lot"... They look like I have tightlined my eyes perfectly at the top and bottom. My only issue is that a few eyelashes bend down, and some point sideways, and they barely curl up. Grr. :angry:
    I have internet connection problems.

And no, I don't have a 411...yet.

• xAmandaTuxAmandaTu Posts: 142Member

ROOKIE

edited February 2012
    I don't think we're exactly understanding this cause it's highly unlikely that all of us have this rare mutation >_>
    sayurimelkimx
  • little-fawnlittle-fawn Posts: 71Member
    I just checked and it just grows randomly, and it seemingly has 3 layers? so weird, I always thought I just had one.
    Please read the signature rules
  • SceauSceau Posts: 57Member
    edited February 2012
    xAmandaTu wrote on 25 February 2012 - 02:23 PM:

I don't think we're exactly understanding this mutation cause it's highly unlikely that all of us have this rare mutation >_>

Yeah it's a misunderstanding. Everyone in this thread is calling "multiple layers" what's just having lots of eyelashes. Of course you won't just have hair growing side by side... You can have multiple eyelashes growing on one another but still in a unique layer.

The mutation we're talking about is having two layers, "rows" of eyelashes. It's different and super rare. And can be annoying and painful because the second layer may grow on the waterline and poke the cornea.
  • chinchillableschinchillables Posts: 95Member
    I'm wondering what it would look like. Can you get a nice closeup camera shot of it so we can see? If you do post one, plz message me and let me know so I don't miss it. or even put it up temporary on a temp site and erase it after a few days. I've never seen that before. Sounds like it would be sexy though if properly cared for.
    (^_^)yess.gifyesa.gifimageimage<=> Love yourself... and me too!!image (Mobile App that pays $2511.75 a month to spread the word !!!)
  • xyhae09xyhae09 PhilippinesPosts: 94Member
    a close-up and no eye makeup pic w/ contacts.

188979_186312904737215_100000755190432_385231_2544132_n.jpg

mine's pretty normal, right?. lol
    i think mine has 2 'layers' but it seems scattered.
    my mom told me she used to trim/pluck my eyelashes when I was still a baby. o.O
2»