How to Convince My Mom to Let Me Drive?

Guest flantastic

Guest flantastic

Has anyone ever had this problem before?

Like..your parents won't let you drive because they think you're too young or it's too dangerous?

I'm getting my license in 2 weeks and my mom just told me that she won't let me drive even though she already got me a car [she got a good deal on a used car a few months back] . _ .

Basically, right now, I'm 18 and already in my first year of college (I commute to school)

But, since I don't have my license yet, I've been taking the bus to class every day

and it consumes soooooo much of my time.

If I could drive to school, I would be able to save AT LEAST 3 hours every day, because I have to transfer buses a lot between my house and my college, and the times don't match up perfectly, so I would be sitting at a bus stop waiting for a long time.

I have a job and I already told her I would pay for all my car expenses like gas, insurance and check ups.

I think the main reason she won't let me drive is because she thinks it's too dangerous, but the thing is, I'm already 18 and I'm going to have to drive eventually anyways.

I've tried telling her this but she refuses to listen.

I mean seriously, spending 3+ hours every day on the bus?

That's not cool = =

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can convince her to let me drive? T_T

Guest sojuiicy

It's probably because you don't have your license yet.. I'm in the same situation as you, and yes it gets complicated, AND this stupid ontario strike doesn't help either. Try and persuade her more carefully I guess, I mean, unless she's one of those parents where its like "WHAT I SAY GOES" then good luck :T

ohh man, i have the same problem! i got my permit over the summer but my mom still wont let me drive the car, even with her in it -_-.

I think im slowlyy convincing her though. I just tell her that she can sit next to me and let me practice more on local roads instead of hitting the interstate right away haha. now whenever we're going for a drive around our little town, she lets me drive, so long as im not going on majorr highways :)

maybe try that? make her comfortable with you driving by showing her what a good driver you are? haha

hope it works!

Tell her that all your friends are allowed and you feel left out of the group or something.. or you could ask her if she doesn't trust you and use examples, that'll make her feel guilty :P

Guest Chi Shen

Pretend you`re gonna go somewhere important, and then be like "oh wait, I can`t. I can`t drive."

do it when she`s tired or something.

DO W/E YOU CAN TO MAKE HER FEEL GUILTY. : )

Guest mz simmonz

dang, I had the same problem as you, not only did she not let me drive, but she also insisted I move out of my off-campus apt so my train+bus commute to school was 1hr 30 minutes one way on a good day -_- she just told me to suck it up until I got my license (I was 21).

So just bear with it for 2 more weeks? or tell her you want it for extra practice too.

If all else fails, just refuse to go to school hahah. :D

But seriously though, as frustrating as it is to be a commuter, just bear with her..she is a parent and she's just concerned :) You're also lucky she bought you a car of your own. If she still does not let you drive the car after you earned your license (I don't see why she wouldn't though), have a sit down talk with her and let her know how much strain it's putting on you to waste so much time in a day to commute when you could be using that time to study/get work done/spend time with her at home/etc. Trust me, my mom did not let me drive the car to school until I practice around the neighborhood for months..I was patient and obedient plus I had to pull a few bratty stunts along the way (refusing to go to school, or if i did go to school, I refused to come home until I found someone to drive me back..this annoyed her but it proved my point) until I wore her down. Hopefully you won't have to go through that.

Guest forgottenmemories

That's how it was when I first got my license too (17). And when I finally graduated high school and got into college, my parents finally trusted me to drive on my own. I think her fear is that you don't have enough experience in driving (I'm assuming you haven't had much practice) and she's afraid you're going to get into car accidents and kill yourself or something. But one way to show her that you can drive is just whenever she wants to go somewhere, ask her if YOU can drive her instead. That way, you can show her that you're a responsible driver and she'll eventually back off and let you drive to school. Good luck :)

Guest Leni1430265175

wait the two weeks, guilt her, or point out something ridiculously not so dangerous but dangerous enough to her that could happen on the bus lol.. or just sit her down and MAKE her listen.. parents are stubborn as heck these days.. they say its cuz they care for you.. honestly.. its only half the time.. the other half, they just dont really wanna deal with you.. XP but gluck anyway

Guest f0reveralways

lol that's funny cause my mom hella PUSHED me to drive. right after i turned 15 i started driver's ed. then my mom made my permit appt like a day after i turned 15 1/2. then i took my behind the wheel test, not long after i turned 16.

blahhh. at the time, i was like.. wthell? why the rush? lol. i'm pretty sure its cause she didn't want to drive me around herself though :P

anyway, a lot of my friends didn't get their license until 18 so you're not alone ;)

to convince her, i would just constantly remind her of it. like.. "oh we need more milk. i'll go buy some! oh wait. i can't drive." or if you have younger siblings, you can be like "so and so needs to get to soccer practice at 5:00. I would take [him] but I can't drive." etc etc

Get your license first and gain her trust. She probably doesn't want you to start driving to school right after you get your license. The reason being that you are still a new driver and you know us students =P Sometimes we are sleepy and such, so she probably wants you to get used to driving more so that you won't be caught off guard when you are not 100% (or so) awake.

I feel your pain. It's not even winter yet and I commute for approximately 3 hours and 30 minutes everyday (my classes end at 5 or 6 PM T.T).

Guest Blue Lemonade

gosh, good luck to you XD

I've had my driver license since I was 17. I'm now 21 and I'm still not allowed to drive. I've had soooooo many fights with my parents over this issue. I was one of the first people between my friends to get my license and I'm the ONLY one who's not allowed to drive. I live away from home too... so I have to bus to the grocery store and back every week -_-

I'm done with trying to convince my parents to let me drive. I'm just going to wait until I get a stable job and hopefully I can save up enough money in a few years to buy my own :P

my parents are really really stubborn. I hope your mom is different. I'd just listen to her for a while and try to show her you're a responsible driver. good luck :lol:

Guest SophiaSan

OMGGG

i am in the same position as you

i got my license (my dad kept telling me to) but won't let me drive because of insurance! I'll pay for it, BUT he says he doesn't want to be liable if anything happens cuz insurance will be more expensve

i am turning 20 this year, my 2nd year of college. i live like 15 mins away (if i bus that's like a 1 hr 30 min commute) UGHH!!!!

let's pray together

by license do y ou mean learners?

because if you dont have that then i understand where your mom's coming from. But just tell her you need it to practice or smthing?

i already had my license for 2 years now and my dad still wont let me drive... i understand with the new car and all.. i seemed to have wore down his uber old car.

maybe she scared of lettin u drive

cos its dangerous since ur a newbie n all

or she dun want u to wreck the car?

maybe go driving with her a few times to show her that ur capable of driving....

ease her into it

Archived