Foreign School In Seoul, Korea

Guest nancyhwang

Guest nancyhwang

Please help me!! Desperate!
Hello ;)

Korea high school is - 3 years

US high school is - 4 years (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior)

Is there any foreign school in Seoul? (List all)

If yes, how much would be the tuition per month?

Should I just go to regular Korean high school?

Is KIS, SIS good?

Guest MrMister

Foreign schools are a good idea if you don't want to get behind in your American studies and if you will go back to the US. The schools are owned by non-Koreans. The teachers and textbooks are non-Koreans too.

Two big ones in Korea are Seoul Foreign School and Seoul International School.

Here are some pictures of Seoul Foreign School so that you can see how big it is. The tuition is very expensive:

SFS.jpg

SFS2.jpg

There is a British division and an American division in SFS. The British students wear school uniforms. I think it's like that with elementary school. I don't know if they seperate the British and the Americans in high school and middle school that way.

There are a lot of foreign schools in Korea. There are even schools for the Japanese, the Chinese, the French, and the Germans.

Guest musicismylifey

Check this site out. :)

Foreign Schools

I was thinking about moving to Seoul too...so I was researching

and found this site. :D

If you're going to return to the U.S....I'd go to a foreign school...

Guest ginger

Yeah, if you're going back to the States, go to a foreign school where you'll still have an American curriculum. Ask any foreign English teacher how their regular Korean high school is and you're likely to get a pretty bleak outlook--they're known for being uncreative, bland, strict, praising only memorization and recitation. I haven't met one single high school teacher here who has said that their school gives their students the same opportunities for learning as their Western counterparts.

-ginger

Guest saera

Basically this is what I've heard.

There is basically a "tier" system of foreign schools. Apparently SFS is the "best" (also the most expensive) and then it's a draw between KIS and SIS. Then it's ICS and if you cant get into any of the other ones (or afford any of the other ones) it's Kent.

Kent is the one that's super easy to get into (my friend went there, she told me) and that's where you'll find all the trainees from SM, etc. Apparently there was a scandal with Kent and the ministry of education not accepting diplomas from Kent. All the other foreign/international schools "look down" on Kent/think it's a huge joke. (I've heard this from multiple people both from Kent and not from Kent).

You can find tuition on their websites probably. Last time I heard they're well over 15K a year. I wouldnt be surprised if SFS was 30K

Guest Lub_yoOo

Heyy :)

I attend KIS and ... its great!!

I recommend a foreign school because it takes a lot of time trying to adjust to the Korean system of education.

This is my opinion about KENT because I know a lot of people who attend that school.

If you want to go to a good college, I wouldn't recommend Kent. I've visited Kent and it's a very small school and facility isn't that good. The schools surrounded by a lot of houses and they only have a small basketball court. But it is easy to get into the school.

http://www.kkfs.org/

SFS is very big!! In order to get in, at least one of your guardian has to have a foreign passport or must have attended a school outside of Korea for a minimum of five years.

For high school its $6,100

Bus Fee: 1,850,000 won

High School Senior Fee: 210,000 won

Early Exam Fee (per exam): 60,000 won

Application Fee: 250,000 won

Registration Fee: 480,000 won

Capital Fee: 4,000,000 won

http://www.sfs.or.kr/index1.html

SIS has a lot of Korean kids, but many of them have lived in diverse places.

There's an application processing fee of KW500,000 (KW250,000 refundable if not admitted).

http://www.siskorea.or.kr/admissions/procedure.htm

Lastly, KIS. You won't see a lot of foreign people in this school but the students here are from all over the world, from China to India and so on. The high school and middle school are all/mostly Korean while the elementary grade has a lot of foreign students.

TUITION

Grades 9-12 KRW 17,200,000 plus USD 7,710.

OTHER FEES

Application & Test Fee KRW 800,000 (KRW 500,000 refundable only if rejected; no refund will be given for cancellation of enrollment after acceptance)

Entrance Fee (For new students enrolling for 2008-09) KRW 3,500,000/student (Non-refundable)

Book Deposit KRW 200,000 (Refundable)

Bus Fee (One-way or half-year bus fee options are not available) KRW 2,000,000 (Optional)

High School Senior Fee (For Graduation/Ceremony) KRW 300,000 (For seniors only)

http://kis.or.kr/

It's probably a difficult decision for you to make, it was for me too. I got accepted to SIS and KIS but decided to attend KIS because I liked the no Korean policy. This policy very strict and if you were to break it you'd be stuck in detention. I liked it because, well, there wouldn't be a division between the Korean speakers and people who speak other languages. But that's my opinion :)

It's really difficult to get accepted by international schools because of space issues :( but if you take the test earlier, there might be a higher chance for you to get in...

I hope you get in! :)

Message me if you want to know more ! :)

(or msn: justlovely123@hotmail.com)

Archived