Bae Doo Na 배두나

melusine

^ Really happy to see you back at the forum, melusinehug.gif
April 17, 2013
Bae Doo Na Wishes People Were Not Interested In Her Relationship
by Joan MacDonald KDramaStars
Bae Doo Na would prefer if people were not so interested in her relationship with her "Cloud Atlas" co-star Jim Sturgess.
That's what the actress said when she was recently interviewed for High Cut magazine.
"It's not something related to my job like attending a movie press conference," said Bae. "I think people are curious, but I still feel a bit burdened. I think I'd be thankful if people didn't take interest in it."
It was a polite way of saying that her relationship with Sturgess, if there was one, was not really anyone's business but theirs.
Bae and London-born Sturgess met when she played clone Sonmi 451 in the film directed by The Wachowskis and Tom Tykwer.
Sturgess and Bae played several roles in the film, two of which were romantically linked. He portrayed Korean rebel Hae Joo Chang opposite Bae's android character, as well as abolitionist Adam Ewing and his wife, Tilda.
The two became closer on set when he helped her with her role.
" He became my friend," said Bae. "He was so kind and considerate. We just laughed a lot, hanging around Berlin with each other. We just built up some friendship."
It was Bae's first English language role. Sturgess admitted to being nervous about meeting her and about overcoming the language barrier, but said she won him over with her friendly nature.
"I was worried because we play lovers in the film and I wasn't sure how we'd be able to show chemistry when we could not communicate," said Sturgess.
They obviously overcame the language barrier and were seen sharing jokes on set. During press conferences he would help her express herself in English and people noted that he seemed genuinely fond of her. But when the paparazzi snapped photos of them walking down Venice Beach, with their arms linked, people wondered if they were dating. At that point, Bae denied the rumors saying they were merely friends.
When Sturgess visited Korea on a press conference for Cloud Atlas, Bae showed him around town. But she refused to clarify their relationship.
Bae Doo Na first became known outside of Korea for her role as the political activist Cha Young Mi in Park Chan Wook's "Sympathy for Mr. Vengence." She appeared as archer Park Nam Ju in Bong Joon Ho's "The Host" and as an inflatable sex doll in Hirokazu Koreeda's Air Doll.
Film reviewers praised her acting in "Cloud Atlas." She will work the Wachowskis again for their next movie, the futuristic dystopian "Jupiter Ascending."
As to the future of her friendship with Sturgess, she's not talking.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

August 29, 2013
Actress Bae Doo-na with her brother
YonhapNewsPYH2013082908120034100_P2.jpg

Actress Bae Doo-na and her older brother Doo-han pose at casual wear brand UNIQLO's introductory event of its fall/winter silk and cashmere project in Seoul on Aug. 29, 2013. The actress gained fame outside of Korea for her role in Hollywood flick "Cloud Atlas," while her brother is building a career directing commercials. The siblings shot a TV ad together for UNIQLO's line of leggings pants. (Yonhap) (END)

• 4 weeks later...

September 26, 2013
World famous artist Jason Mraz meets Korean actress Bae Doona?
BNTNews
80qjep3z0hf4gplc8k864o6kiag7eajc.jpg

[by Cho Suyoun] Bae Doo na and musician Jason Mraz met together for public campaign by Kiehl’s.
Bae Doo na, Korean actress who is becoming popular in Hollywood, met up with world famous musician Jason Mraz. The special video that shows the two stars’ kind works has recently been released by New York Cosmetic Brand Kiehl’s.
This video is made to support preservation of environment and children. Kiehl’s has been organizing public campaign with Jason Mraz and Bae Doona and through the video, the two celebrities also talked about their thoughts and values in life.
As Kiehl’s best-seller item is ‘Ultra Facial Cream Jumbo New York Edition,’ the brand will donate some of the profits to organizations that support environment preservation and children. The campaign’s video that starred Bae Doo na and Jason Mraz is now available on the brand’s official Facebook page and YouTube. (photo by Kiehl’s)

• 3 months later...

December 26, 2013
Acquaintance outs star couple
By Lee Sun-min Korea JoongAng Daily l Nate

l_2013122501004185600312061.jpgActress Bae Doona once again made local media headlines, this time because an acquaintance of actor Jim Sturgess referred to Bae as Sturgess's girlfriend, although the stars have previously denied rumors about their relationship. 
"One of the nicest, most genuine actors I've ever met, Mr. Jim Sturgess, and his lovely girlfriend Doona Bae," the acquaintance wrote alongside a photo of the two released through a social network service. 
The stars met while filming the movie "Cloud Atlas," which was released January in Korea. 
Many questioned if they were dating in December 2012 but both denied the rumors. Some other entertainment news outlets overseas, however, have published photos of Bae and Sturgess arm-in-arm while out in public. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

February 20, 2014
BAE DOO NA GETS A SWEET KISS IN HAWAII FOR INSTYLE KOREA’S MARCH 2014 ISSUEhttp://couch-kimchi.com/2014/02/20/bae-doo-na-gets-a-sweet-kiss-in-hawaii-for-instyle-koreas-march-2014-issue/

Early in February, Bae Doo Na flew to Hawaii for a Marc by Marc Jacobs photo shoot for InStyle Korea’s March edition. I believe she was joined by her boyfriend Jim Sturgess ;), but if not, she still found a kiss-happy companion in a dolphin ;) And how can it not resist her? She is provocative in her geometric-patterned mini-dresses that show lots of skin. 04_zps8cf22af3.jpg~original03_zpsc1f687aa.jpg~original
02_zps6ca6c3c7.jpg~original
01_zpsb0dc9fcd.jpg~original
Source  |  Newsen

• 2 weeks later...

March 5, 2014
Actress Bae Doo Na Shines at CHANEL 2014 F/W Collection Show
Source: BNTNews
6okytci8d8iww6c1lnz9kkoems4909x5.jpg
[by Cho Suyoun] Bae Doo Na was invited to CHANEL’s F/W collection show in Paris as a representative of Korea.
On March 4 at 10:30 A.M. in local time, CHANEL’s 2014 F/W ready-to-wear collection show was held at Grand Palais in Paris. On this day, actress Bae Doo Na attended the show as a representative of Korea. Among all attendants, the Korean actress attracted attention of everyone with her baby face and airs of elegance.
For the show, Bae dressed up in CHANEL Paris-Dallas collection’s silver top and a long black skirt with a gold belt. As can be seen in the photo, the 34-year-old actress also met up with Japanese top model Mizuhara Kiko and watched the catwalk together.
Other than these two stars, world-famous celebrities such as Rihanna and Vanessa Paradis were invited as VIP guests. (photo by CHANEL)

• 3 weeks later...

March 23, 2014
BAE DOO NA LACES UP FOR HIGH CUT’S VOL. 122http://couch-kimchi.com/2014/03/23/bae-doo-na-laces-up-for-high-cuts-vol-122/3_zps32e61e24.jpg~originalIn the next volume of High Cut, Bae Doo Na‘s sensual magnetism is bursting through her lacy and see-through, body-hugging  outfits.

Check it!6_zps14c87674.jpg~original
5_zps92523e7d.jpg~original4_zps359d472e.jpg~originalSource  |  High Cut 

• 2 weeks later...

April 6, 2014
Korean stars grace Hollywood moviesA record number of actors will play major roles in US blockbusters
By Park Si-soo The Korea Times05-01(214).jpg
Ha Ji-won, from left, Lee Byung-hun and Soo Hyun. Including them, a growing number of Korean actors have been given the opportunity to play with global movie stars in Hollywood films this year. / Korea Times files
Are Korean actors increasingly wanted in Hollywood, or is it a sheer coincidence that a record number of them will have the opportunity to feature in Hollywood films this year?
So far five Korean actors — Lee Byung-hun, Choi Min-sik, Jung Ji-hoon, Bae Doo-na, Soo Hyun — are set to play in a Hollywood movie or are awaiting the release of their film.
Lee Byung-hun is set to appear in Hollywood blockbuster “Terminator: Genesis,” in which he will perform with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Clarke and Emilia Clarke among others. He will leave for the United States later this month to start shooting in early May, according to his management agency BH Entertainment. It’s unclear what role he will play, but rumor has it that it will be something of a “doozy.”
The fifth sequel of the famous sci-fi action flick “The Terminator,” released in 1984, is Lee’s fourth casting in a Hollywood film, after “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” (2009), “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” (2013) and “RED 2” (2013).
His upcoming casting was announced last Tuesday, roughly one month after actress Kim Soo-hyun was confirmed to be acting in another Hollywood blockbuster “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” which is currently being filmed in Korea. Her exact role in the film is unknown, but an unidentified Marvel official was quoted as saying in a report that Kim may be playing a doctor with connections to Ultron, who is tasked with Tony Stark’s (Iron Man) medical care.
05-02(203).jpg Choi Min-sik
It’s a “substantial” supporting role that is more than just a background character, said the official.
Veteran actor Choi Min-sik, known for his acclaimed role in “Oldboy,” performed with Hollywood star Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman and Analeigh Tipton in renowned French director Luc Besson’s science fiction movie “Lucy.” The film’s trailer made its online debut last Thursday, in which Choi portrays a mid-level manager of a drug trafficking syndicate in Taiwan who chases the protagonist “Lucy” played by Johansson. The film will hit domestic theaters in August.
K-pop singer and actor Jung Ji-hoon, better known as Rain, recently completed filming of his second Hollywood movie “The Prince.” He made his Hollywood debut in 2008 in “Speed Racer.” In the new film, he plays alongside Bruce Willis, John Cusack and Jason Patric. “The Prince” is expected to be released at the end of the year.
Actress Bae Doo-na’s second Hollywood film “Jupiter Ascending” will be released in July. The first American film she appeared in was “Cloud Atlas” (2012), a sci-fi epic in which she appeared along with such major Hollywood stars as Tom Hanks and Halle Berry. Both films were directed by renowned American sibling director duo Andy and Lana Wachowski.
Challengers
Actress Ha Ji-won is expected to enter the American film scene in the near future. In August last year, she signed a contract with the United Talent Agency (UTA) that represents Johnny Depp, Harrison Ford, Gwenyth Paltrow, and other A-list Hollywood actors. It was the first time that a Korean actor signed with the agency.
Her UTA representatives are said to be eyeing international roles in films and TV as well as digital media and endorsements for the actress known for roles on both the big and small screens, including the internationally popular Korean TV drama “Secret Garden,” period drama “Hwang Jini” and big-budget monster flick “Sector 7.” They are also looking into Korea-U.S. co-productions.
Actor Ha Jung-woo has openly said that he will go to Hollywood with his own work. He played a leading role in several hit films such as “The Terror Live” (2013), “The Yellow Sea” (2010) and “The Chaser” (2008), and made his directorial debut with the comedy film “Fasten Your Seatbelt” in 2013.
“While watching a film directed by a Korean, ‘Snowpiercer,’ which employs Hollywood staff, I thought there is no reason to wait any longer,” Ha was quoted as saying in an interview published by movie magazine “Max Movie” last October. “So I plan to go to Hollywood with my own work, although it wouldn’t be as big-scale as ‘Snowpiercer,’ with my own style.”
Ha went on, “I’m already collaborating with a production company in Hollywood. A script writer is working on a script with me as the main character of a movie.”
He said, “Instead of a rushed collaboration, I plan to make an independent American movie using American staff and actors. My plan is to make a movie that would sell in the United States.” He cited “Juno” (2007) and “District 9” (2009) as successful models.
English matters
Film experts say that the ability to speak English fluently is the common factor among those who recently landed Hollywood roles. 
“It’s still uncomfortable for me to speak in English. But I try to improve it through trial and error,” said Lee Byung-hun during a TV interview last July. He is said to have improved his English proficiency through private tutoring and casual conversation with English-speaking foreign friends.
Jung Ji-hoon is widely known to have learned English from actor Lee Bum-soo’s wife Lee Yoon-jin, a professional Korean-English interpreter.
“I started teaching him (Rain) with his U.S. debut only 100 days away,” interpreter Lee said. “Back then he did not have enough time to learn English step by step. So my teaching was focused on how to deliver ‘key messages’ in English during interviews there. Actually there is no problem catching a speaker’s key message with only a couple of words or sentences.”
Bae Doo-na seems to be another trial-and-error English learner like actor Lee. “I acted in ‘Cloud Atlas’ with English that I learned during my high school years,” Bae said in an interview last year. “I managed to film my scenes through countless trial-and-error. Many of those who watched the movie think I’m a fluent English speaker, but that’s really not the case. I still feel uncomfortable speaking in English.”
Following the production, she stayed in London for six months to learn English, according to her management agency.

Source: Media Today115793_127867_3048.jpg

class="entry-title" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 14px 0px 0px; padding: 19px 12px; font-size: 22px; direction: ltr; font-family: Oswald, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Helvetica, NanumGothic, 나눔고딕, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(240, 173, 29); text-rendering: optimizelegibility; line-height: 28px;"Bae Doona’s Comeback with ‘Do-hee’%EB%8F%84%ED%9D%AC%EC%95%BC.jpg
Bae Donna is making a comeback in Korea with the movie ‘Do-hee’
Bae Doona has shot foreign movies like ‘Cloud Atlas’ directed by the Wachowski brothers, which was released in 2013 and ‘Jupiter Ascending’, which will be released this year. She plays Young-nam in the movie ‘Do-hee’, a story about one girl’s cruel but beautiful secrets.
‘Young-nam’, who is hurt by private issues, is the head of a police station in a small island city. She meets ‘Do-hee (Kim Sae-ron)’ there, who is exposed to domestic abuse from her step-father and grandmother and become the only shelter for her. But Do-hee’s step father ‘Young-ha (Song Sae-byeok)’ threatens both of them and face irreversible endings.
‘Young-nam’ is a realistic character who lives in the moment. 
%EB%B0%B0%EB%91%90%EB%82%98.jpgBae Doona plays ‘Young-nam’ who saves ‘Do-hee’
Bae Doona said, “I was very surprised when I first read the scenario of the movie, which was calm but also shocking. I really liked it. I decided to take the role in 5 minutes right after I finished reading. It’s a meaningful movie. I felt like I was a rookie actress while I was shooting. It certainly purified my spirit”. She shows strong affection for the movie.
The movie was directed by Jeong Joo-ri, who drew attention with her short films. ‘Do-hee’ was produced by Pine House film, which has produced movies like ‘Secret Sunshine’, ‘A Brand New Life’ and ‘Poetry’, gaining more attention.
‘Do-hee’ is a cruel but beautiful movie about saving a girl, who’s the victim of domestic abuse. It will be released in May.

Written by Han Jihee, Photo by Pine House Film, Translated by Lee Sarah | GetitK.com

• 2 weeks later...

April 17, 2014
Kim Sae-ron cannot see her own film
By Kim Hee-eun, contributing writer INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

201404180844774964_53506877b6aaa.jpg

Thirteen-year-old actress Kim Sae-ron returns with a new film “Do-Hee” - but, once again, she will not be able to see it when it comes out, because the Korea Media Rating Board ruled that the film is not suitable for those under 19.
Directed by award-winning filmmaker Jung Joo-ri, “Do-Hee” follows the tale of a young girl in a remote sea town.
After her mother runs away, Do-hee is left with her brutal and abusive stepfather. 
Do-hee is saved by a police officer, played by actress Bae Doo-na, of “Cloud Atlas” (2013), which leads to the girl developing an obsession with her rescuer.
“The visual images of the film are so vivid that some young people might copy the behavior,” said the ratings board in a press release. “It apparently needs proper parental guidance as some scenes are very direct and violent.”
After debuting in 2009, Kim rose to fame through the violent thriller “The Man from Nowhere” (2010). 
Today’s press premiere for “Do-Hee” was canceled because of Wednesday’s ferry disaster.

April 18, 2014
‘Dohee-ya’ Starring Bae Doo Na Invited to Cannes Film Festival
CJ E&M enewsWorld Oh, MiJung  Translation Credit : Yeawon Jung
An upcoming film Dohee-ya starring Bae Doo Na, Kim Sae Ron and Song Sae Byeok has been invited to The 67th Cannes Film Festival.
The film has been invited for ‘Un Certain Regard’ section, getting recognition for its uniqueness and originality with qualities in vision and style among the other international films. 
Director Hong Sang Soo’s Hahaha (2010) and director Kim Ki Duk’s Arirang (2011) have previously won the ‘Un Certain Regard’ section.
The only debut films that have been invited to the section from Korea are director Yoon Jong Bin’s The Unforgiven (2005) and director Jung Ju Ri’s Dohee-ya.
Director Jung Ju Ri said, “I can’t believe that my first full length film will be shown at Cannes Film Festival. I’m thankful and happy.”
Dohee-ya depicts the story of a 14 year old girl Dohee (Kim Sae Ron) suffering from domestic violence, who gets help from the town’s new police officer Young Nam (Bae Doo Na), but falls into a crisis due to the trap of her stepfather, Yong Ha (Song Sae Byeok).

Image_en_3_522a100f4f13d.png
April 18, 2014
A GIRL AT MY DOOR Invited to Un Certain RegardCannes Midnight Screenings Aim for THE TARGET by Pierce Conran KOFIC
QyBJayzCuefhlxIUUnsK.jpg
Yesterday evening, the Cannes Film Festival held its main press conference for this year’s edition, where festival director Thierry Fremaux revealed the films that will screen in the Main Competition and Un Certain Regard, as well as the Special Screenings, Midnight Screenings and Out of Competition Films. Among the films announced were two Korean titles. A Girl at My Door, the debut film of director JUNG Joo-ri, was invited to compete in the Un Certain Regard section. The film stars BAE Doo-na as a police officer who tries to protect a young girl (KIM Sae-ron) from her violent father. A Girl at My Door is produced by LEE Chang-dong, a well-regarded figure at Cannes who has presented award-winning films such as Secret Sunshine (2007) and Poetry (2010). He also served as head of the Critic’s Week Jury in 2011. Two Korean films have won the Un Certain Regard Prize in the past: HONG Sangsoo’s HaHaHa in 2010 and KIM Ki-duk’s Arirang in 2011. mAJngUYgtAchWwlGoupN.jpg
 This year’s Midnight Screenings will include the action-thriller The Target, from Death Bell (2008) director Chang. RYU Seung-ryong stars as a mercenary for hire who finds himself a target in someone else’s plot. He winds up in hospital and then with the help of a medical resident (LEE Jin-wook) goes on the run. The last Korean film to screen in the Midnight Screenings was NA Hong-jin’s The Chaser in 2008. Prior to the conference, the Short Film Competition and Cinefondation lineup were announced, and the latter will feature SOOM (Breath), a new student short from Chung-ang University. SOOM is a 33-minute short from director KWON Hyun-ju. Last year’s Cinefondation also featured a Korean short, KIM Soo-jin’s Line. The International Critics’ Week and Director’s Fortnight lineups will be revealed early next week. This year’s 67th Cannes International Film Festival will take place from May 14th to 25th.

UN CERTAIN REGARD

Cannes Unveils 2014 Official Selection Lineuphttp://variety.com/2014/film/news/cannes-unveils-2014-official-selection-lineup-1201158710/

“A Girl at My Door” (July Jung, South Korea) Produced by Cannes competition favorite Lee Chang-dong, Jung’s debut feature centers around a young woman being abused by her stepfather. (Sales: CJ E&M Corp.)

April 19, 2014
Bae Doo Na, Kim Sae Ron & Song Sae Byeok invited to Cannes International Film Festival
Source: STARN News 20140418013836_5350038c52c1e_1.jpg
Bae Doo Na, Kim Sae Ron, and Song Sae Byeok were invited to Cannes International Film Festival once again.

On April 17th, the production agency of movie 'Do Hee' said, "'Do Hee' was officially invited to the 67th Cannes International Film Festival for 'Un Certain Regard' section."
'Do Hee' is a movie about a police named Young Nam(Bae Doo Na) getting into a trouble while trying to help a 14 year-old girl named Do Hee(Kim Sae Ron), who was suffering from her stepfather's physical abuse.
'Un Certain Regard' section of Cannes International Film Festival introduces films with unique styles or ideas, and focus on their creativities.
'Un Certain Regard' is considered as one of the three main parts of Cannes International Film Festival, and Korean films that were introduced during 'Un Certain Regard' section of previous Cannes International Film Festival include 'Mother,' 'Yellow Sea,' and 'Arirang.' Furthermore, director Hong Sang Woo's 'Ha Ha Ha' and Kim Ki Duk's 'Arirang' received awards.
Director Yoon Jong Bin's 'The Unforgiven' debuted through the section back in 2005, and 'Do Hee' became the second Korean film to debut through the section.
Director Jung Joo Ri said, "I cannot believe that I am going to introduce my first major film at Cannes International Film Festival. I am feeling a profound gratitude for this amazing chance."
Bae Doo Na, who visited Cannes back in 2006 and 2009 with films 'The Host' and 'Air Doll,' is going to make her third visit to Cannes with 'Do Hee.' Kim Sae Ron, who was the youngest actress to get invited to Cannes Film Festival back in 2009, is also going to make her second visit to Cannes along with Song Sae Byeok, who visited Cannes with 'Mother' before.
Meanwhile, 'Do Hee' is going to be officially released in May.
/Reporting by Lee Mi-Ji en@starnnews.com

April 18, 2014
Three Korean films to be featured at Cannes
By Claire Lee (dyc@heraldcorp.com) The Korea Herald

cannes2014.jpg

Three Korean films have been invited to this year’s Cannes International Film Festival, according to the movies’ local promoters.
Actress Bae Doo-na’s latest drama film “A Girl at My Door” will be screened in the festival’s Un Certain Regard section, along with Ryan Gosling’s “Lost River” and Wang Chao’s “Fantasia,” and 16 others, while director Chang’s “The Target” has been included in the Midnight Screenings section. Chung-Ang University student Kwon Hyun-ju’s short “Breath” will be screened in the Cinefondation section.
“A Girl at My Door” is filmmaker July Jung’s feature debut. It tells the story of a policewoman named Young-nam (Bae), who gets placed in a rural port town after being demoted in the city. 
The plot of the film develops as Young-nam meets local teenager Do-hee (played by Kim Sae-ron), who is exposed to constant physical abuse, and tries to find ways to help her. Actor Song Sae-byeok, who gave memorable performances in “The Servant” (2010) and “The Suck Up Project” (2012), is appearing as Do-hee’s stepfather.
Director Chang’s “The Target” is a Korean remake of 2010 French action-thriller “Point Blank.” Starring Ryu Seung-ryong (“Miracle in Cell No. 7”) and Yoo Jun-sang, the film evolves around an ordinary doctor who is desperate to save his pregnant and kidnapped wife, as well as an ex-mercenary killer who is framed for the murder of an influential corporate leader. 
Meanwhile, Kwon Hyun-ju’s short film “Breath” has been included in the festival’s Cinefondation section, which focuses on films made by film school students. Kwon’s film, which deals with the emotional turmoil of a daughter whose mother has been living in a coma, is one of the 16 films selected. A total of 1,631 films were submitted for the section, from 320 different schools worldwide. 
No Korean films are in this year’s competition lineup. Im Sang-soo’s drama “The Taste of Money” was the last Korean film to be screened in competition at Cannes, in 2012.