Veteran Korean Actresses

~~*A Mother's Day Tribute*~~

Veteran Korean Actresses

Since Mother's Day is just around the corner, I decided to start a thread dedicated to the wonderful actresses

who've played mothers, grandmothers, and aunts to our favorite stars.

Kim Ja Ok

kjore8.jpg

DOB: October 11, 1951

Where you might have seen her:

My Name is Kim Sam Soon, As Much as Heaven and Earth, Bad Housewife, One Million Roses, Attic Cat, Jenny Juno, My Tutor Friend

Kim Hae Sook (Kim Hae Suk)

khsyl2.jpg

DOB: December 30, 1955

Surgeon Bong Dal Hee, Famous Princesses, Spring Waltz, The Bizarre Bunch, Sweet 18, Summer Scent,

Winter Sonata, Autumn Tale, My Girl and I, My Brother, Oh! Happy Day, Marrying the Mafia

Seon-Woo Eun Sook

swessy3.jpg

DOB: December 24, 1959

One Fine Day, Resurrection, Full House, Yellow Handkerchief , All In, Friends, Autumn Story

Choi Ran

crvz2.jpg

DOB: November 30, 1960

My Girl, A Farewell to Tears, Sassy Girl Chunhyang, The Second Proposal, All In

Lee Hye Sook

lhsjd2.jpg

DOB: September 4, 1962

Pure in Heart, Mr. Goodbye, A Farewell to Tears, Loveholic, A Million Roses

Im Ye Jin

iyjbh7.jpg

DOB: January 24 , 1960

What Star Did You Come From, Goong, Full House, Windstruck, The Classic

Yoon Yeo Jung

yyjae8.jpg

DOB: June 19, 1947

Pure 19, What’s Up Fox?, Be Strong Geum Soon, One Million Roses, Hotelier, Did We Really Love

Kim Hye Ok

khoaf6.jpg

DOB: May 9, 1958

Bizarre Bunch, Wonderful Life, I'm Sorry, I Love You, Hearts in Bali, My Tutor Friend

Park Jung Soo

pjsfh8.jpg

DOB: June 1, 1953

Fireworks, Dae Jang Geum, The Bizarre Bunch

Kyun Mi Ri

kmrae0.jpg

DOB: September 19, 1964

Jumong, A Farewell to Tears, One Million Roses, Dae Jang-geum, All About Eve

Lee Kyung Jin

lkjfr4.jpg

DOB: ?

Dalja’s Spring, The Bizarre Bunch

Kim Mi Kyung

kmkxt6.jpg

Pure 19, Sassy Girl Chun Hyang

The 할머니’s (grandmas)

Kim Ji Yeong

kjydd1.jpg

Maunday Thursday, Seoul 1945, My Girl & I, Wedding Campaign, 18 vs. 29, Full House

Kim Young Ok

kyoew3.jpg

DOB: December 5, 1937

Dalja’s Spring, The Bizarre Bunch, Yellow Handkerchief, Diary of Three Spinsters

Na Moon Hee

nmhze0.jpg

DOB: November 30, 1941

Famous Princesses, My Rosy Life, My Name is Kim Sam Soon, You Are My Sunshine, Lovely Rivals, S Diary, Please Teach Me English

Ban Hyo Jung

bhjat7.jpg

DOB: November 27, 1942

As Much As Heaven and Earth, As the River Flows, One Million Roses

Nice thread just in time for Mother's day! The Kdrama Moms and grandma...sometimes they don't get enough attention but they are a vital part of the action. Most specially in the daily dramas.

They are truly under-appreciated despite the huge contributions they make to the success of the series/movie.

My fave 'mom' would have to be Kim Ja Ok, she was hilarious as KSS's mom :lol:, plus she's sooo like my own mom & i love my mom :).... next would be Kim Hae Sook, she practically played mommy to all my fave stars :D (SHK's in Autumn In My Heart, WB's in My Brother, SSH's in Summer Scent, CTH's in My Girl & I)

My fave 할머니 is Kim Ji Yeong (Lee Young Jae's grandma) :lol:

Guest Rainie

Great idea ^^

My favs are Choi Ran and Kim Ji Yeong...it was a hard to pick...but both of them are just so bubbly and wonderful ^^

Guest jahye

That's a pretty good list!

Some big names that were left out and some lesser known..

Go Doo Shim

godooshimap4.jpg

Kim Hye Ja

kimhyejaih9.jpg

Kim Eul Dong, Yuh Woon Kye Kim Hyoung Ja (l to r)

kimeuldongyuhwoonkyekimlb2.jpg

Kim Young Ae

kimyoungaecopyrq6.jpg

Park Won Sook

parkwonsookoq9.jpg

Kim Yong Rim

kimyongrimcopypm7.jpg

Kim Soo Mi

kimsoomiqa6.jpg

Kang Boo Ja

kangboojacopycc5.jpg

Lee Bo Hee

leeboheecj5.jpg

Sa Mi Ja, Jun Won Joo

samijajunwonjooyd4.jpg

Jung Young Sook

jungyoungsookhe4.jpg

Jung Hye Sun

junghyesunmw6.jpg

Lee Hyo Choon

leehyochooncopybu3.jpg

My personal favs: Kim Hye Ja, Yuh Woon Kye, Yoon Yuh Jung, Kim Young Ae, Jung Young Sook, Go Doo Shim, Park Won Sook, Kim Ja Ock, and Im Yeh Jin. I love them all! ^_^

Guest yongieee

wow

these are long lists!!

and strangely i recognize all of em :)

i picked choi ran (loved her in choon hyang and my girl) and na moon hee (so funny in high kick)

Guest Mme. De Giry

nice thread, ~*kYo*~! really just in time for mother's day. i love kss's mom, too! :wub:

Guest lovewinter

I vote for Yoon Yeo Jung because she plays well in "Be Strong, Geum Soon - a great grandma who loves the granddaughter so much and knows how to protect her" and "Pure 19 - Funny Character towards the family and make me laugh".

As for Grandma votes goes to Kim Young Ok because of my impression on her in "Her House - unwell and funny grandma towards the grandson's wife" and "Dal Ja Spring - love the way she support Lee Min Ki Love's for Chae Rim".

I wish all the mothers a Happy Mother's Day.

Ooohhhh, I've been waiting for this kind of thread.

I personally love the moms of Seon-Woo Eun Sook and Im Yeh Jin (absolutely, absolutely love her in WSAYF) and also Lee Kyung Jin from Dal Ja's Spring. As for the grandma, it's hands down the helmoni from Full House, Kim Ji Young and Dalja's helmoni Kim Young Ok.

Guest lovegoodfood

i love the grandma in Goong...I dont know her name..but she is a very graceful old lady.....very sweet too.....wish my grandma is still around!!!!!

Guest chaerae

I seldom post (Does once count as seldom even? :unsure:) - but having come across this thread, just wanted to join in on the Mother's Day spirit since I love these ajummas so much! Hope there'll be a thread for Father's Day, too!

Wow, a lot of these names were pretty big (and beautiful) in their days....

It's almost impossible to pick out a favorite!

Kim Ja Ok always puts a smile on my face....

Go Doo Shim, Kim Young Ae, Jung Young Sook... :wub:

All so amazing.

But I gotta say I'm partial to Kim Hae Sook when it comes to mothers. She's everywhere, and it's kind of always the same role (even within that narrow "mother" spectrum!), but she just feels like...mom. Something about her is just so comfortable and familiar to me, probably largely because she's everywhere and always the same. ^_^ But all the same, I just love her.

As for grandmas - once again, they're all so great, but my favorite single character's probably been Sa Mi Ja's grandma in Bogo Ddo Bogo. Adorable! Anyone else remember?

Okay, there are a few on these lists that I don't care for, for whatever reason. Lee Hyo Choon, Kim Hye Ok, Lee Kyung Jin grate on my nerves. Sorry! :ph34r:

On a side note... Gosh, have people like Kyun Mi Ri really graduated to the ajumma roles now, you think? :blink: In which case I should mention another (albeit, very different feel from Kim Hae Sook) favorite of mine - Kim Mi Sook (Blue Fog, Marathon, etc), since she'd definitely fit under the category then! She and Kim Hee Ae (My Man's Woman, Precious Family, etc) are similar to me in that they're so, um...분위기있어. Very feminine and elegant.

nice thread...I actually voted for Kim Hye-sook and Na Moon-hee but if I can vote as many as I can I adore many veteran actresses like Go Doo-shim(a very good actress I must say), Kim Ji-young(my Full House/Rosy Life grandma), Kang Boo-ja, Park Won-suk and Kim Soo-mi (who could not forget her in Mapado 1 and 2)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest angel2nyt

i love a lot of them

especially kim ji young, kim hae sook, lee hye sook, the gorgeous kyun miri, go doo shim, kim young ock was so nice in bizaare bunch.. she reminded me too much of my own grandmom

Archived