Soompi Mac User Group

j79

Guest erure

^How long have had your MacBook? Maybe you can get it looked at by a "genius" and get it fixed free with warranty? O_O

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've posted in this thread about a month ago...I am still having the same problem.

Here was my last post describing my problem:

My mac runs out of batteries very fast, in a very abnormal way. I have the black 13-inch macbook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

with 2GB memory and 250GB hard drive. I would charge it the whole night, and then use it the morning for about 20 minutes, and it would just turn off and wouldn't work unless it's plugged in. The battery percentage would go from 100% to just 7% after barely 20 minutes; it used to last about 6-8 hours.

My MacBook is relatively new and the charge capacity is 538 and the remaining capacity is 515, I tried recalibrating but nothing seems to work!

Now my MacBook won't work unless it's connected!! Should I just buy a new battery now?

What's your battery cycle and battery health? (You can find in About this Mac --> More Info --> Power)

Plus, you've recalibrated your battery, right? That involves:

1. Charging the battery until it's fully charged and then letting it "rest" for 2 hours (still plugged in) -- you can use your MB

2. Use your MacBook until the battery dies. Do not put it to sleep or shut it off. You want it to Power Off on its own...

3. Let it "sleep" for 5 hours - do not plug in the power cord at this time.

4. After 5 hours, you can plug in your power cord and charge up.

Also, have you tried resetting your power management (or System Management Controller). Here's the apple doc:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

To reset SMC, turn your computer off. Disconnect AC and remove battery. Press and hold the Power button for 5 seconds. Reconnect the battery and AC adapter.

If neither of those help, and your System Profiler shows your battery health as "POOR", you probably need a replacement...

Good luck!!

Guest eatadandelion

What's your battery cycle and battery health? (You can find in About this Mac --> More Info --> Power)

Plus, you've recalibrated your battery, right? That involves:

1. Charging the battery until it's fully charged and then letting it "rest" for 2 hours (still plugged in) -- you can use your MB

2. Use your MacBook until the battery dies. Do not put it to sleep or shut it off. You want it to Power Off on its own...

3. Let it "sleep" for 5 hours - do not plug in the power cord at this time.

4. After 5 hours, you can plug in your power cord and charge up.

Also, have you tried resetting your power management (or System Management Controller). Here's the apple doc:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

To reset SMC, turn your computer off. Disconnect AC and remove battery. Press and hold the Power button for 5 seconds. Reconnect the battery and AC adapter.

If neither of those help, and your System Profiler shows your battery health as "POOR", you probably need a replacement...

Good luck!!

I dont see anything about my battery health, this is all i see:

System Power Settings:

AC Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No

Wake On AC Change: No

Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes

Wake On LAN: Yes

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

Battery Power:

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2

Reduce Brightness: Yes

Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes

First low level warning: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 538

Remaining Capacity (mAh): 537

Amperage (mA): 0

Voltage (mV): 12637

Cycle Count: 259

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes

Charging: No

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

I'll try to recalibrate my battery again and if that doesn't work, I'll reset my SMS! Thanks for you help, i'll try to do that tonight!

Guest dOotsiez

to anyone with a white macbook, how do you keep them clean? i just had my keyboard bit replaced and already it's starting to look gross.

Guest Millou

i didn't know there's a topic just for Mac users...

well, i have a 17" iMac, and every time i want to put it to sleep it just shut down. I already have my iMac for 3-4 years and the first 2 years it worked perfectly, when i put it to sleep, or when i don't use it for 20min it will put itself to sleep. But now when i do that it automaticly shuts down...

doesn anyone know what the problem is?

Guest mz_kimmi_dee

to anyone with a white macbook, how do you keep them clean? i just had my keyboard bit replaced and already it's starting to look gross.

i was worry about the same thing and my friend told me about a clear keyboard cover a couple weeks ago. i just order one hopefully i'll get it soon & test it out.

Guest Xarthan

Anyone uses multiply here?

coz for the past 1-2 months, i'm having trouble viewing pictures in multiply. For example, whenever i click a picture to view it, it just wouldn't show up. The only way i can view pictures is when i click the slideshow button. It wasn't like that before, but does it have to do with the settings in my macbook? I've tried to view the pictures using a pc and a mac in my school, and it worked just fine.

Yeah, I use it. You might want to try using Firefox, if you are using Firefox, use Safari.

See if any of them displays the picture.

Guest beana*

i was worry about the same thing and my friend told me about a clear keyboard cover a couple weeks ago. i just order one hopefully i'll get it soon & test it out.

When I had to bring in my mac to the genius bar several times the guy told me

if you buy the mr. clean magic eraser it works just fine! I sometimes even use cleaning

wipes sometimes

Guest serendipityxt

whats the worst thing about your macbook? (no macbook pro's please) i always think that if you get a mac a lot of programs wont be compatible with it =X but yeah id really like to hear about your problems w/ a mac ;d

Guest Xarthan

whats the worst thing about your macbook? (no macbook pro's please) i always think that if you get a mac a lot of programs wont be compatible with it =X but yeah id really like to hear about your problems w/ a mac ;d

no real graphics card, so I can't play 3d games. That's about it.

I find that almost all programs I've encouter that work on a PC work just as well on a Mac (as there's a mac version out there)

I dont see anything about my battery health, this is all i see:

System Power Settings:

AC Power:

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No

Wake On LAN: Yes

Battery Power:

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2

Reduce Brightness: Yes

Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes

First low level warning: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 538

Remaining Capacity (mAh): 537

Amperage (mA): 0

Voltage (mV): 12637

Cycle Count: 259

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes

Charging: No

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

I'll try to recalibrate my battery again and if that doesn't work, I'll reset my SMS! Thanks for you help, i'll try to do that tonight!

AHH!! this ! is happening to my macbook too?!?! wtf

... but when i plug it in, it's not charging T_T!!!

i think its my magsafe charger?? blah! have to take it in ... when. i. have. time. x-x;

but i dunno .__.''

Guest bub001

I've posted in this thread about a month ago...I am still having the same problem.

Here was my last post describing my problem:

My mac runs out of batteries very fast, in a very abnormal way. I have the black 13-inch macbook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

with 2GB memory and 250GB hard drive. I would charge it the whole night, and then use it the morning for about 20 minutes, and it would just turn off and wouldn't work unless it's plugged in. The battery percentage would go from 100% to just 7% after barely 20 minutes; it used to last about 6-8 hours.

My MacBook is relatively new and the charge capacity is 538 and the remaining capacity is 515, I tried recalibrating but nothing seems to work!

Now my MacBook won't work unless it's connected!! Should I just buy a new battery now?

the same thing happened to me but on my powerbook which i've had for 3 years...i did some research and found out some of the batteries were 'defected'? anyways, on the apple site there is a page were you can check if your battery was manufactured during that time, you then enter in your serial number and they ship you a brand new battery. you do have to send yours to apple though but they do pay for all the shipping.

Or maybe just use your applecare and get it checked out

Guest o_selina_o

I'm planning on buying the MacBook Pro 17" black one, or either MacBook 13"; both which will be upgraded with a 4GB RAM, which one should i get as im planning on using it for uni when i start my architecture degree, and i know im going to mainly use it towards design programs; which requires it to be v.fast especially for 3D modelling and CAD work.

also does anyone know if it comes with an international warranty? or is it just a local warranty? as im planning on buying it in hong kong but i will be using it back here in London, UK.

Guest Xarthan

I'm planning on buying the MacBook Pro 17" black one, or either MacBook 13";

OMG when you said Black MacBook Pro I jumped over to the apple store thinking I missed out on a new update. then I was disappointed when I saw nothing :(

Anyways, you want the Pro for 3D work. MacBook can't handle 3D well.

^There is no such thing as a black MacBook Pro - they only come in silver.

I'm pretty sure she ment Macbook Pro or Black Macbook now. *cries* no black macbook pro *sniff*

Guest o_selina_o

^There is no such thing as a black MacBook Pro - they only come in silver.

OMG when you said Black MacBook Pro I jumped over to the apple store thinking I missed out on a new update. then I was disappointed when I saw nothing :(

Anyways, you want the Pro for 3D work. MacBook can't handle 3D well.

hehe sorry for the confusion MINJI.v & Xarthan :sweatingbullets: yeah my mistake >.< i meant the black macbook ^^;;

Thanks Xarthan =) Pro it is then woot!

Woo! I got a macbook yesterday and i'm loving it! I got a student deal 10% off and a free ipod (well after the $200 rebate).

Anyways I got some newbie questions...

So i want to partition my startup disk because I don't think i'll be getting any extra mem anytime soon.. I'd also eventually want to work with windows as well .. How many partitions and how big do you recommend (I have a 160gb hdd atm)? I was looking around in the disk utilities and in the partition section and what does the different formats for the partition mean? (eg. Mac OS Extended Journaled etc etc..)

Thanks in advance 8]~

Guest erure

I'm using the newest 15" MBP and there's something wrong with my external hard disk drive... Whenever I connect it to my computer, a message comes up that the drive cannot be read... Does this mean I have to format the disk? I have 400gb worth of stuff in there and I really don't want to lose it :tears:

Guest stickearth

I wanted to look at a GIF and when I clicked on it, the preview thing showed up. But it just had many images rather than the moving gif image.

I'm new with the MAC so can someone help me out or just tell me a software I can download to view images and stuff.

Guest Xarthan

I'm using the newest 15" MBP and there's something wrong with my external hard disk drive... Whenever I connect it to my computer, a message comes up that the drive cannot be read... Does this mean I have to format the disk? I have 400gb worth of stuff in there and I really don't want to lose it :tears:

what happens when you hook it up to another mac or pc computer? Is it formatted NTFS or Mac Journaled?

Woo! I got a macbook yesterday and i'm loving it! I got a student deal 10% off and a free ipod (well after the $200 rebate).

Anyways I got some newbie questions...

So i want to partition my startup disk because I don't think i'll be getting any extra mem anytime soon.. I'd also eventually want to work with windows as well .. How many partitions and how big do you recommend (I have a 160gb hdd atm)? I was looking around in the disk utilities and in the partition section and what does the different formats for the partition mean? (eg. Mac OS Extended Journaled etc etc..)

Thanks in advance 8]~

You don't need to partition your HD with os X. Its not a windows box. haha you can just create folders on your desktop.

Also for windows, when you DO install windows, the program will help you partition your drive then, so no need to worry about it now.

Archived