Soompi Mac User Group

j79

thanks trungy, its just i always have the fear that files created on mac wont open once transferred to the uni pc computers. from what you said i understand that there are a number of programs which are mac supported but i have yet to find a mac compatable version of catia and cfd simulators

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, my friend's a computer science major with a MacBook and she says it's a pain in the butt, but it's only so because she's too cheap to buy parallels or vmware fusion like I tell her to. Her professor dissed Apple in class and said they suck or something O_O

Is it normal when the light on bottom of the screen of my mbp is darker then brighter then darker... It's like little spots shining upwards...

Don't know if you guys understand my, it's kinda hard to describe...

Apparently that's a very common problem with iMac screens. You should get it looked at at the genius bar.

As for my iMac with the blinking problem, I took it to the genius bar. As I'd suspected, the computer didn't show any problems at the genius bar, so they took it in for more extensive examination. I really miss my iMac :tears:

Yeah, my friend's a computer science major with a MacBook and she says it's a pain in the butt, but it's only so because she's too cheap to buy parallels or vmware fusion like I tell her to. Her professor dissed Apple in class and said they suck or something O_O

Apparently that's a very common problem with iMac screens. You should get it looked at at the genius bar.

As for my iMac with the blinking problem, I took it to the genius bar. As I'd suspected, the computer didn't show any problems at the genius bar, so they took it in for more extensive examination. I really miss my iMac :tears:

There are actually quite a few macbooks in my CS classes. A lot of times they have a pretty okay time doing things because when working with like C++ and a lot of the linux environment stuff over the network on SSH they get to use the shell and I guess its almost like using linux for them so that works out. I know they have Eclipse and stuff for apples too but if they had to use things like SVN they will be left out.

*goes away before talking about my vista based hp*

Guest Xarthan

I get to post in this thread now!!

photoex2.jpg

psh, a box. whoopie doo........

:phew:

ex-CS major here, all my univ stuff here is done in unix. Oh wait, OS X is built on unix, well......... :)

Is it normal when the light on bottom of the screen of my mbp is darker then brighter then darker... It's like little spots shining upwards...

Don't know if you guys understand my, it's kinda hard to describe...

take it into the genius bar and show them :)

I got my iMac back today -- they ended up replacing the LCD panel on it. I'm just glad they didn't mess with the hard drive because I didn't back up everything :ph34r:

FYI for any of you people taking your Macs to the Genius bar, make sure you have all your data backed up!

i just got my macbook today. my guy just added my printer to my tab, he clearly believed i needed it. also i kinda wanted the fastest macbook but he insisted i only need the mid macbook since i'm just an english major. he was very...assertive. well, now i'm on the macbook and dammit i have no idea what i'm doing. it is a very beautiful machine though, i've got no complaints so far.

Oh no. It took 4 days.

Hmm compared to HP thats still significantly better. Did they leave obvious screw driver marks all over your laptop where they pried the panels off? When I sent my HP in for a screen issue, they put deep gouges on my screen and on the edges where they pried I was missing a few screws they forgot to put back in. And they never got around to fixing the screen issue. So I will consider what you got definitely a positive result.

Hmm compared to HP thats still significantly better. Did they leave obvious screw driver marks all over your laptop where they pried the panels off? When I sent my HP in for a screen issue, they put deep gouges on my screen and on the edges where they pried I was missing a few screws they forgot to put back in. And they never got around to fixing the screen issue. So I will consider what you got definitely a positive result.

Oh I got my iMac fixed, not my MacBook Pro, and I haven't noticed any problems... yet. I'm very satisfied with apple's customer service, but sometimes those stupid "Geniuses" will just not listen to you and just assume what the problem is (make it your fault) -_-

(I currently own a PC, but used to own a MAC, hope that allows me to post here,

instead of making a new thread. Besides, i want to get answers from YOU Mac-Geniuses!!)

I am thinking of getting a MacBook Pro (new Versions) with these specs:

* 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB

* 320GB Serial ATA @ 5400

* SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

* Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide

* Apple Remote

* Canon PIXMA iP4500 Photo Printer

* AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enrollll

It will cost me $3,266.95.

Is it worth it?

What I will use it for:- School: Basically everything a college Student would use it for (& lots of research and group assignments)

- Work/Co-Op: I will be working for a pretty-up-there company, in the Marketing Department,

I want a laptop that will be good for research, Editing, Making brochures/graphics, and planning events.

Is a MacBook Pro going too far? Or Should I invest in a Pro, since i am thinking of using it for the

next 4+ years? What i want in a laptop is: speed, great graphics, mobility, and battery life.

What specs would you recommend for me?

Guest Xarthan

(I currently own a PC, but used to own a MAC, hope that allows me to post here,

instead of making a new thread. Besides, i want to get answers from YOU Mac-Geniuses!!)

I am thinking of getting a MacBook Pro (new Versions) with these specs:

* 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB

* 320GB Serial ATA @ 5400

* SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

* Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide

* Apple Remote

* Canon PIXMA iP4500 Photo Printer

* AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enrollll

It will cost me $3,266.95.

Is it worth it?

What I will use it for:- School: Basically everything a college Student would use it for (& lots of research and group assignments)

- Work/Co-Op: I will be working for a pretty-up-there company, in the Marketing Department,

I want a laptop that will be good for research, Editing, Making brochures/graphics, and planning events.

Is a MacBook Pro going too far? Or Should I invest in a Pro, since i am thinking of using it for the

next 4+ years? What i want in a laptop is: speed, great graphics, mobility, and battery life.

What specs would you recommend for me?

IMHO I think you are just going overkill here. I'd just get the 1,999 model 2.4Ghz with applecare :)

Since you are a student you can get the EDU Discount so that'll be 1,899... OR you can go get an ACD membership for 99 bucks and buy the same model for 1,699 (Granted total will be 1,798)

Guest orangeorange123

I might have asked this already, but what do you guys use to download music? I hear that DC++ doesn't work for MACs and some of my friends use Shakespeare, but where do I go to download it?

Guest seoulmusic

get transmission and use it to download with torrents. any of the major torrent sites (piratebay, mininova, demonoid) should have what you are looking for.

Guest mika.16

hi guys.

ive been in desperate need of a laptop so im finally going to get one!

i can only afford the normal white macbook, but the specs are;

* 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed

* 800MHz frontside bus

* 1GB (two 512MB SO-DIMMs) of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB

# 120GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive; optional 160GB or 250GB 5400-rpm drive4

#8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

i have NO idea what these mean lol,

but all i do with my laptop is word processing, web browsing, youtube, downloading songs, photo editting... simple stuff like that.

will this be enough for my needs? (i wouldnt need to upgrade anything?)

feel free to PM me, cus im going to go out and purchase tomro and theres a chance i wont come back to check this thread before then.

thanks =)

Okay, is this the wrong thread to post it? If it is, sorry, I can edit this out of my post later. o___o;;

But this does have to do with a program I use on my MacBook...

Okay, so I was subbing a music video on this program I use called, "Miyu" (Link to website: http://www.fluffalopefactory.com/miyu/index.html)

But all of a sudden I got this error when trying to export the video (a.k.a hardsubbing the video);

2m2xbg0.png

(^ Honestly, wth does that error mean? I'm lost. o__o)

I'm like totally pissed off because I've subbed over 20 videos on this program for the last couple of months all of a sudden it does this to me. =\

Yeah, help anyone? And thanks a lot in advance. And I am sorry if this is the wrong thread. I just thought I'd have more luck here since the program is for Macs. =\

Archived