• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Tough Guy Yang Gets Geeked Up

ensor200511132005540Toygh.jpg

By Kim Tae-jong

Staff Reporter

Yang Dong-gun, right, poses for a photo with his co-stars Kim Sung-soo, left, and Yoon Ji-min during a Seoul news conference on Thursday for their film “Monopoly,” currently in production.

What does an actor need to take on a completely different and challenging role? An in-depth character study would be the first suggestion, but how about just getting a new hairstyle?

A new look was one of the first steps versatile actor Yang Dong-gun took for his new role in an upcoming film.

``I had to have my curly hair straightened and use a hairdryer to maintain it before shooting,’’ Yang told reporters during a news conference on last Thursday in a model home in Kunja-dong, Seoul, where his new crime thriller ``Monopoly’’ was being filmed.

Yang showed up with shoulder-length straight hair and thick frame eyeglasses, looking far-removed from his usual appearance with his naturally curly hair and hip-hop fashion.

Yang plays a computer hacker in the film and has to look sophisticated and intelligent. So, what he had to do was to emerge from his typical image.

``This is the first time for me to play a smart person from a privileged background, and I have to show it in my appearance,’’ Yang said. ``But still, I think the most important part of playing the character is to show his introverted and fainthearted personality.’’

``Monopoly’’ co-stars actor Kim Sung-soo and actress Yoon Ji-min. In the film, Yang plays Kyong-ho, a computer genius and a graduate from a renowned local science university, who tries to withdraw a small amount of money from almost every bank account in the nation with Korean-American businessman John (played by Kim).

Thursday’s filming was a scene with Kim showing off his fortune and introducing his lover Yoon to Yang, which suggests the future conflict between the three characters.

The 27-year-old made his debut as a child actor in a television drama at the age of 9, and he has since given impressive performances in soap operas and movies.

Although he has played serious roles such as a bi-racial man in Kim Ki-duk’s 2001 film ``Address Unknown (Suchwiin Pulmyong),’’ he has mostly played action heroes or comical characters.

In the television sitcom ``Nonstop’’ in 2000, he played a wacky college student, and in the 2002 hit series ``Ruler of Your Own World,’’ Yang brilliantly portrayed the struggle of a pickpocket who tries to overcome social obstacles.

In last year’s action film, ``Fighter in the Wind (Paramui Paito),’’ Yang portrayed the legendary Korean martial artist Choi Bae-dal and underwent months of physical training to become like the character.

Early this year, he also appeared on stage for a play titled ``Offending the Audience (Publikumsbeschimpfung)’’ by Peter Handke to challenge himself and learn more about acting. ``The way the actors interacted with the audience was shocking to me,’’ he said.

In addition to his acting career, he also released his first hip-hop single, ``Koori Baeng Baeng’’ in 2001.

Yang, however, will have to put his career on hold for a while, as he has to soon go to the army.

As he decided to star in ``Monopoly’’ after postponing his mandatory military duty, Yang said the film is more meaningful for him.

``After much meandering, I was able to star in the film, so I think I’ll have more things to say after finishing this film,’’ Yang said.

``Monopoly’’ has now completed 20 percent of its filming, and is expected to be released in March next year.

e3dward@koreatimes.co.kr

11-13-2005 19:56

source * www. hankooki.com

i dont think they sell any kss posters coz he's not that popular in korea (at least when i was there). but you can definitely get free posters and fashion catalogs from basso shops =]

hai..i'm a big fan of him too...can you tell me how can i get those psters from basso shop

Guest dreams_fulfilled

i just watched him in full house!! and i thought he was awesome in it! so charming and nice :wub:

this was the only series that ive seen him in, and im already a fan :P

hai..i'm a big fan of him too...can you tell me how can i get those psters from basso shop

oh you just go to any basso shop and ask for posters and catalogues :)

I rarely hear any news about him and he is too underrated. Kim Sung Soo is so handsome but no one seems to appreciate him or his acting in Korea.

12/23/05 – On 12/19, the filming team of the movie “Monopoly (모노폴리)” leaves for Phi Phi Island of Thailand (피피섬, 태국). The beautiful scenery of Phi Phi Island has been shown in the movie “The Beach” starring Leonardo Dicaprio. The scenes shot at the island portray the character John (존) played by Kim Sung Soo introduces his high-class life style on the yacht to the role Kyung Ho (경호) played by Yang Dong Geun. They have good time either on the yacht or in the water doing skin/scuba diving. Actress Yoon Ji Min (윤지민) wearing sexy bathing suit accompanies them. Both Yang Dong Geun and Yoon Ji Min have received individual training of scuba diving before they leave for Thailand. The movie is scheduled to be debuted in March of 2006.

200512230956392400_1.jpg

http://news.goodday.co.kr/2005/12/23/20051...956392400.shtml

http://sports.hankooki.com/lpage/cinet/200...08161258470.htm

yes , he gone to pipi island in thailand. the actually i don't knew with news but i saw it from popcornfor2.com and someone saw him in airport, she said he was so kind and cute and to greeted to fans alway.

i feel jealousy to her and think she is a lucky girl.

espcial, he can spoke thai " sa-wad-dee kub" wow...wow... i love kss so much. :D

A3980856-19.jpg

A3980856-20.jpg

A3980856-23.jpgA3980856-25.jpg

Guest krystaldew

I really really liked him when I was watching Full House, I even preferred him over Bi, until I found out he did an x-rated movie, off-putting...

Archived