P E T S! All About Pets, Pets Pets Pets!

Guest DOVAHKIIN

we don't give them anything strong-flavored...boiled chicken, white rice (the rare times there's stomach problems), brown rice, yams (American-type 'sweet potatoes'), zucchini, carrots, string beans, slightly cooked beef, scrambled egg; sometimes winter squash. We never had any food problems with all the dogs we've ever had (same breed since I'm 6, so long time =p )--but this one has some food allergies-so no wheat or stuff made with wheat--the other dogs got pasta and some other stuff. Some of her brothers and sister have worse allergies, so they're on a raw foods diet, with no grains at all. Even though we have experience, we still take the advice of the dogs' human auntie--we'd never feed anything without asking. The main reason we don't do chicken bones is because they're small and could get stuck in their throats. >< And yes, moo juice is a definite no for them--she gets goat's milk every day.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest xR3MiiNiiSC3z

any of your dogs use a doggy litter box?

i have a silky terrier and he uses one of thos training pads but it starts to stink up the whole house after more than two uses so i was thinking of getting a dog litter box. do any of your dogs use a litter box? do your dogs actually use the box? odor problems? any tips?

i have a 11 weeks old mini dachshund.. and he pee/poo on the training pad and i must admit the pee stinks the most!! what i do is i put the training pas in the bathrrom and everytime after he pees i have one of those odar spray..and i just spray it all over the bathroom! it does help!! u should check it out at pet shop! Dog litter box i dont know??? i thought they onlyhave it for cat??

Thankyou for your answer. My Mum said we would give it a few days and then take her to the vet if it does not clear up. The Vet is a long way off so we only take her now and again. I hope it clears up, I hate her going to the vet, it makes me so anxious.

Could eating flies make her sick? She has a habit of catching them and eating them alive, we try to stop her, but can't all the time, we live in the country and there has been a lot this year.

Not necessarily about the flies, since cats are predators and will eat things that we humans find gross. Be careful, however, as she may unwittingly touch or eat something poisonous. Next time she poos, look at her stool and see if there's anything nasty in it. But when you do get your cat to the vet, ask the vet to deworm the cat. That is advisable if she's been outdoors and you're worried she could have eaten something nasty but was not able to digest properly and pass it out.

Make sure your cat gets plenty of fresh water and TLC.

Also, give your vet a call and check with him/her any symptoms that crop up. Then take it from there.

Guest RedPandah

so this is the forum about petsss.

well what if i had a pet whale?

hahah, jokes.

but just wondering, were whales really the first animals to develop a language?

haha.

Guest Cakeyism

My dog keeps chewing, gnawing and licking his foot. I have googled this topic and nothing seems to help. We have been to the vet and nothing has really worked. I am going to try some antibacterial soap and gently wash it through. He does this year-round and he doesn't have allergies. Does anyone have any over the counter or home-remedy suggestions? thanks..

Guest RedPandah

My dog keeps chewing, gnawing and licking his foot. I have googled this topic and nothing seems to help. We have been to the vet and nothing has really worked. I am going to try some antibacterial soap and gently wash it through. He does this year-round and he doesn't have allergies. Does anyone have any over the counter or home-remedy suggestions? thanks..

omg! happens to my dog too.

like, all the time he does that.

and once it was like his paw was a bone or something. if you get that.

i put my hand close to it. and he started growling. ><"

i dont know whats wrong though. D;

Guest hunterheart

^ Does it have sores? If it does, he might have boredom biting or allergies (like dust, mold... etc). If he does it often, it's a problem. If not, it's normal. Most of the time, dogs gnaw on their paws or feet because they have allergies. Ask a vet for certain med/foods to feed your dog to help it.

If your dog is growling back at you... it COULD be a behaviour problem. Try giving him a chew toy and if he chews on that instead, praise him.

--

I have an awesome shy and gentle chihuahua. He looks kind of like bambi xD He's very quiet, except when he's in the mirror he barks at himself =P

His name is elmo =], but he also responds to "ah mon".. my parents accent xD

^^^

awww your dog is adorableee. i like the way he tilts his head.

Haha, thanks! ^^

that poor little kid. -___- Looks like he'll be okay now, especially since he seems to have a good home with you (he looks happy)--and good for you for giving him a better life. I have to look up what he had--we never had to deal with anything like that. It's okay that he sleeps on the bed--unless you really don't want him to (our dogs have always slept where they want--if she doesn't sleep with me, I sleep with her. lol)--but he is small. Is he a Chihuahua? How do your other dogs get a long with him?

It's okay to give some humans foods--we have a baby too, and most of what she eats we also eat(she eats 3 times a day for now)---but there are also things they shouldn't have, like chicken bones. And that he is little, and away from his mother, he might need a little bit extra--like formula especially for puppies--to help him grow well.

Oh, Ascaris lumbricoides..that's just the answer from wikipedia, not really sure about it either. I guess it's more commonly called "worms"?

I heard it's a terrible habbit getting your pets to stay on human furnitures since they have fleas and bugs. I want to make them stay off places where human oftenly remains throughout the day, respect is needed in the human-pet relationship. You wouldn't want to trade roles with your pet, right? And since our dogs doesn’t shower daily like we do, they can be carry a tad a lot of dirt they picked up from outside. I think that if humans enjoyed sharing their bed with bugs, we’d be sleeping in caves. Fleas don’t care whether it’s human blood or dog blood they are consuming, do they? What they need is fairly blood. Oh, can't forget those dog hair. I have a extremely sensitive skin, whenever I sit beside my dogs or w/e, I got bumpy stuff around my body.

A Chihuahua? When I went for a visit to the vet to get some injection, he said Maxson's a Black labrador mix. Surprising, I know. I wonder how he'll grow that big. Poor thing missed his growth spurt because he had those "worms" inside him. I guess it answers why his so small. He have a brother around this neighboor (though they are seprated with individual owners, they occasionly meet up). His brother is so much bigger and chubbier, makes me sad.

I just can't give him human food due to past memories. My chihuahua named Poppy, she suffered from obesity due to eating human food. She was very sick (almost in the death mode), but fortunately survided. Now, our dog Ruby is gaining too much weight. She have so much flab in her stomach, it's sort of cute but makes me worried at the same time.

Seriously, what do I do about my obese dogs. They won't eat anything unless it's human food.

Haha, thanks! ^^

Oh, Ascaris lumbricoides..that's just the answer from wikipedia, not really sure about it either. I guess it's more commonly called "worms"?

I heard it's a terrible habbit getting your pets to stay on human furnitures since they have fleas and bugs. I want to make them stay off places where human oftenly remains throughout the day, respect is needed in the human-pet relationship. You wouldn't want to trade roles with your pet, right? And since our dogs doesn’t shower daily like we do, they can be carry a tad a lot of dirt they picked up from outside. I think that if humans enjoyed sharing their bed with bugs, we’d be sleeping in caves. Fleas don’t care whether it’s human blood or dog blood they are consuming, do they? What they need is fairly blood. Oh, can't forget those dog hair. I have a extremely sensitive skin, whenever I sit beside my dogs or w/e, I got bumpy stuff around my body.

A Chihuahua? When I went for a visit to the vet to get some injection, he said Maxson's a Black labrador mix. Surprising, I know. I wonder how he'll grow that big. Poor thing missed his growth spurt because he had those "worms" inside him. I guess it answers why his so small. He have a brother around this neighboor (though they are seprated with individual owners, they occasionly meet up). His brother is so much bigger and chubbier, makes me sad.

I just can't give him human food due to past memories. My chihuahua named Poppy, she suffered from obesity due to eating human food. She was very sick (almost in the death mode), but fortunately survided. Now, our dog Ruby is extremely fat. She have so much flab in her stomach, it's sort of cute but makes me worried. All I want is the best for Maxson, please, no more fat dogs.

hehe our vet would probably laugh at me. I've never heard the Latin name of them before...it's roundworm >_< People get that too. >< But we never had them, just tapeworm once, I think. For sleeping with pets: it depends on the person you ask: some don't want their animals on the furniture for different reasons, but we don't have to worry about flreas: we haven't had them for years, even though we have wild animal visitors and neighbor cats wandering around--and every year I spray some beneficial bugs on the grass, and they eat flea and other larvae and stuff. We just cover the couches and chairs w/ sheets, and vacuum of course. But it's different if you have allergies, either to pet fur or something on your pet's fur, so I can understand that you would rather ask them to sleep somewhere else.

That is suprising that Maxson is part Lab--I wouldn't have thought so...we had two full Black Labs. I was looking at the shape of his head and his feet--that's why I thought maybe a Chihuahua--or something else. He has a sweet face. ^^;

Is it a certain kind of food that makes your dogs gain so much weight? Or medical condition? One of our puppy's sisters almost died because she got so sick on the food the breeder was giving them (other dogs were fine with it)--so she stopped eating it. The people were hardly ever home, so they didn't know it was happening. -.- The lady who adopted her nursed her back to health by totally changing her diet (raw foods only), and now she's even a little bigger and heavier than the sister we have. How much human food do your dogs get, though? She only gets about 3/4 total 'human' food in the morning and night meals (lunch is just kibble and plain yogurt with some goat's milk) Do they sneak stuff when you're not looking? Or do family members give them too much when you're not looking?

this one is ours: Her name is Orla.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/760/image1227.jpg

she's almost 5-1/2 months old, and about 75 lbs. Her favorite things to eat are anything food-wise (that she's allowed) and tissues. -.- (bad habit left over from breeder)

hehe our vet would probably laugh at me. I've never heard the Latin name of them before...it's roundworm >_< People get that too. >< But we never had them, just tapeworm once, I think. For sleeping with pets: it depends on the person you ask: some don't want their animals on the furniture for different reasons, but we don't have to worry about flreas: we haven't had them for years, even though we have wild animal visitors and neighbor cats wandering around--and every year I spray some beneficial bugs on the grass, and they eat flea and other larvae and stuff. We just cover the couches and chairs w/ sheets, and vacuum of course. But it's different if you have allergies, either to pet fur or something on your pet's fur, so I can understand that you would rather ask them to sleep somewhere else.

That is suprising that Maxson is part Lab--I wouldn't have thought so...we had two full Black Labs. I was looking at the shape of his head and his feet--that's why I thought maybe a Chihuahua--or something else. He has a sweet face. ^^;

Is it a certain kind of food that makes your dogs gain so much weight? Or medical condition? One of our puppy's sisters almost died because she got so sick on the food the breeder was giving them (other dogs were fine with it)--so she stopped eating it. The people were hardly ever home, so they didn't know it was happening. -.- The lady who adopted her nursed her back to health by totally changing her diet (raw foods only), and now she's even a little bigger and heavier than the sister we have. How much human food do your dogs get, though? She only gets about 3/4 total 'human' food in the morning and night meals (lunch is just kibble and plain yogurt with some goat's milk) Do they sneak stuff when you're not looking? Or do family members give them too much when you're not looking?

this one is ours: Her name is Orla.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/760/image1227.jpg

she's almost 5-1/2 months old, and about 75 lbs. Her favorite things to eat are anything food-wise (that she's allowed) and tissues. -.- (bad habit left over from breeder)

Okay, I realized Maxson is not a Black Labrador mix. I don't get it, my vet has been studing about animals for years, how can he mistake it as a different breed? I guess my brother's friend was right. Vets in our local area sucks, pft. Turn out he is a German Shepherd and a Rottweiler mix. He looks nothing like them.

My dogs have human food for lunch and dinner, also, a bit of dog food in another go. My parents don't try to stick with one sort of dog food, they mix it with variety of kinds (which is terrible for their teeth). They give stuff like cookies, rice, meat, noodles, etc. After we have our dinner, my parents make rice cracker with the leftover rice. They would deliberately temptate my dogs and get them to eat it. Maxson goes crazy when he sees food near him, he's becomes a frog in a blender. I know i'm extremely picky when it gets to this sort of stuff but it's just purely for the dogs.

Your dog is so big and cool! What is her breed?

any of your dogs use a doggy litter box?

i have a silky terrier and he uses one of thos training pads but it starts to stink up the whole house after more than two uses so i was thinking of getting a dog litter box. do any of your dogs use a litter box? do your dogs actually use the box? odor problems? any tips?

I thought you were suppose to change those pads each time after he goes? That's what we did with my puppy....he's house trained now, I use them now just in case he pukes...

any ways, what's the best way to teach a dog to come?

yeah my shiba's 1 year old and he has selective hearing, if i call him to come in certain places he would come, but if i'm out at let's say a dog park and I call him to come he won't come he just runs the other way. I watched one of zack georges, think that's what his name was, and what he said to do was when I say come i have to make it like if he's going to get spoiled?

i tried it once or twice with a slice of ham, and meat balls ....doesn't work =/

Guest Eun_neptune_Him

I wanna adopt a Siberian Husky, but i'm afraid that it won't be taken care of well because i'll be at school every weekday, and they like to socialize and have people around all the time. Me and my sister wasn't a dog really badly but my mom doesn't wanna get included, and for some reason my brother wants a Maltese instead. Though it would be good for the dog that we have a park 2 minutes away from our house, plus we have a big backyard and front yard.

Guest CHOMP!

I wanna adopt a Siberian Husky, but i'm afraid that it won't be taken care of well because i'll be at school every weekday, and they like to socialize and have people around all the time. Me and my sister wasn't a dog really badly but my mom doesn't wanna get included, and for some reason my brother wants a Maltese instead. Though it would be good for the dog that we have a park 2 minutes away from our house, plus we have a big backyard and front yard.

my boyfriend has a husky. you definitely need to be around it a lot or else it will DESTROY your house :x especially if it's a puppy. he would come home and the garbage would be all over the place, the toilet paper would be dragged around the house, his clothes chewed up, bed peed and pooped on, etc D: thank god he grew out of it -- he got him as a puppy and now he's like 10 months old <3 if you get a dog, you should try and get it at the beginning of summer or a long break so it can get to know you and learn to not destroy the house :P

i think siberian huskies are adorable! (: but they shed a lot and need to exercise. share pictures if you get a dog! <3

Guest smileformeee

1. Do not feed your pets any human food! Unless you own a pet monkey or another primate and give him bananas, do not feed your pet any human food! For fish, some vegetables are acceptable such as chopped up skinless green peas, but please ask in this thread if you're not sure about other food!

heh...unless it's a turtle then you can give it salads and other various greens/fruits

mm your frankly quite wrong , you can feed your pets for example , dogs , all real natural food (:

which are vegetables and fruits.

but garlic and onions are off limits.

Guest Swtess

Just a question: How do you get your dog's ears to stand erect? I have a yorkie and maltese and both doesn't seem to be able to do that. The yorkie can do it halfway and maltese...well he's lazy to even have it semi up. They're both about 2 years now and I remember when I asked the breeder for the yorkie, she said that she put toothpicks in her dog's ears.

Guest Rachaelsol

Just a question: How do you get your dog's ears to stand erect? I have a yorkie and maltese and both doesn't seem to be able to do that. The yorkie can do it halfway and maltese...well he's lazy to even have it semi up. They're both about 2 years now and I remember when I asked the breeder for the yorkie, she said that she put toothpicks in her dog's ears.

I know that usually yorkie ears are erect, but since I don't own one, I'm not sure what to do about it.

In the maltese's case, I also own a maltese and their ears are meant to be floppy (:

Guest crvn107

my boyfriend has a husky. you definitely need to be around it a lot or else it will DESTROY your house :x especially if it's a puppy. he would come home and the garbage would be all over the place, the toilet paper would be dragged around the house, his clothes chewed up, bed peed and pooped on, etc D: thank god he grew out of it -- he got him as a puppy and now he's like 10 months old <3 if you get a dog, you should try and get it at the beginning of summer or a long break so it can get to know you and learn to not destroy the house :P

i think siberian huskies are adorable! (: but they shed a lot and need to exercise. share pictures if you get a dog! <3

I agree with this.My husky managed to open up my fence to get into the kitchen yesterday.She ate candles and uncooked rice and vomitted yesterday.If you were to have a husky,make sure you clear everything it can destroy or put up those baby doors to prevent it from causing destruction.I hope she grows out of it soon.

im sorry if my post is going to sound a little irresponsible X[ well my mom got us a puppy (which i thought was unexpected cause i have a hamster already) My mom got it from her boss who got it from someone else.....so i have no idea where the pup's mother is at! =[ Well my concern is that.....i dont know so much about him. my mom said that he's 4 weeks old.....but he looks like he's 7 weeks old(he's not soo tiny, and he's actually bigger than many of the 4 weeks pup that i've seen on Youtube). I want to potty train him and such......but i dont know how. ANY advice?

also......IF he's 7 weeks old, should i get him to the vet ASAP? i went to my neighbor's house, and the pup ran after me outside the house. should i get him checked? OH yes, how much average is a "puppy shot"? I have no clue what to do in this whole vet/shot deal so im going to need some advice X[ i dont want the vet to take advantage of me (since i dont know much about dogs) cause i've heard that some vets actually charge a lot for things that arent needed?

SORRY I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS TO ASK. give me any advice that u can throw at me.

Archived