For Those Of You That Are Not Korean, How Do Your Parents React When They Find Out You Listen To Kor

Guest psquare6806

Guest panda_07_ice

they were just surprised to find out that i speak korean without formal lessons... surprised when they heard me singing korean songs and asks "Do you understand????"

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest haneul_norae

my parents doesnt mind me watching asian dramas, i even got them hooked into it. my dad sometimes make fun of the songs that i play, korean or japanese songs. But my mom, maybe because she always hear it play, even hum along with it even though she doesnt know the lyrics... =)

Guest KuYA II

my parents don't care that i listen to korean music...sometimes they tell me that it sounds like american music xD.

my mom likes to watch kdrama's with me hahaha we would watch it at the AZN channel lol.

Guest Pongie

my parents are totally cool with it and they think thats its good for me to learn outside my own culture....

they watch korean dramas themselves when they have time but yeah the music is just all me.

Guest dianannsano

I'm Vietnamese.

Whenever my parents catch me watching K-drama, they go, "Be Ti!!! Watching Japanese drama again?!?!"

I reply, "It's Korean!!! Koreaaaaan!!!"

Guest Melyxcious

My parents got used to it. They constantly ask me if I understand what I'm listening to cuz I listen/watch stuff from other countries other than from Korea :x

My parents are addicted to Korean dramas now thanks to me -___________________________-''

Guest griingo

they scoff and say "so you want to be korean now?" but i think they are more concerned with the fact that i listen to Jrock music more. the usual reaction is "what the heck are you listening too? are they even words? those are boys? what are they wearing? those guys must have something wrong with their head. i bet they take drugs." and so on and so forth ^^;;

Guest Paradox

They thought it was peculiar at first. More so like "How did you discover this and why listen to something you can't understand". But after awhile they don't really care, and actually like some of it themselves. My mom and I listen to 1TYM in the car, and my older sister thinks Big Bang is adorable, haha.

Guest Ryskie

My brothers and my dad usually make fun of me for it b/c they're basically racists, and my mom is just ignorant of everything.

But my fiancee doesn't mind it. He actually likes it when I tell him about new Chinese, Korean, or Japanese movies that we have to go see, or when I tell him about how my Korean lessons are going. He thinks its neat to be into a different culture, except when I tell him how hot some singer or actor is!

Guest alicimoo

Mom: "Ooh, can I watch with you?" or "Did you watch some sad korean drama again? Is that why your eyes are red?" lol.

Dad: "Are you STILL watching those dramas?!"

Grandpa:"...stop watching those brainwashing dramas." lol.

Guest VersusVillain

I don't watch Korean dramas.

But when I started listening to Korean (and other Asian) music, my parents weren't really surprised as I've loved Asian cinema for years.

Guest tis a wonderful life

my parents don't really care at all about the music and my mom LOVES to watch dramas. i always watch with her and translate b/c she can't read english either. she's seen autumn tale, sad sonata (which she really liked), stairway to heaven (which she really really liked) and a bit of my lovely samsoon which she found very funny.

Guest mz_kimmi_dee

they say "ohhhhhhh" and that's all... and they usually ask questions like why are they doing that...ETC... ETC

Guest sweetREDEMPTION.

It's not really my parents. Well, sometimes my dad. He's like, "Why are you so in love with someone you'll never meet..." <---but that's not really talking about KOREAN stuff...it's just my love for celebs! Stupid!

Anywhos, it's more of the ignorant teens. They're like, "Why do you listen to stuff you don't even understand?"

or... "OMG. Those dramas are so predictable. Why do you sit there watching 20+ episodes when you have to read subtitles?"

Sometimes I just want to scream, "CAN I JUST FRIGGEN WATCH WHAT I WANNA WATCH, LIKE WHO I WANNA LIKE, AND LISTEN TO W/E THA richard simmons I WANT TO IN PEACE PLEASE?!?!?!?!"

Guest iced*chai.latte

My parents sort of roll their eyes and chuckle.

But that's what they do anything I listen to our watch - American, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish lol.

Archived