For Those Of You That Are Not Korean, How Do Your Parents React When They Find Out You Listen To Kor

Guest psquare6806

Guest AgentDNA

My parents don't care as long as I don't become "koreanized", but eventually I started to care. I still visit the Korean forums every now and then but I'm not as obsessed as I used to be. I guess I must've grown out of the "everything-Korean" phase, and I'm glad I did.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Apri1

My mom is happy because she watches the asian dramas and movies with me. and she likes the music too. She thinks it's so cute and fun. I'm always happy when we can find a new show to watch together.

Guest umbanana

my parents dont care that much

they just dont understand why i listen to music without knowing what the lyrics mean

kdrama-wise, my parents watch it with me :D

Guest OBSCURE Sin

(I've posted in here already, but this is a continuation)

My mum will actually listen to Japanese and Mandarin songs that I play her, and she really likes them. But then, I only play stuff like Gackt, Ayumi, Faye Wong, Mika Nakashima etc. for her because she hates rock. And I once got her to watch some anime with me, which she liked. But she said it was hard having to read the subs and listen to/watch the anime at the same time.

Guest tengteng

They don't really bother about it.

The most my dad thinks it's always some sappy show because I cry too much watching dramas.

I think it's actually not a very unusual thing listening to k music, I mean, you may be from hk, but you may watch western movies like POTC? How differnt is that?

Guest be_mellow

nothing, because they do it too xD except watch the dramas dubbed.....which i don't like....I prefer subbed. They don't really care.

Guest StaRj9erz

My dad don't know bout it but i guess if he finds out he'd be totally weirded out..

but my mom is so cool with all my korean 'addiction'!!

we love watching korean dramas together & we both stay up late just to finish the series..

sometimes she even buys the dvds for me...i just tell her the titles and then she'll look for it in stores..

ahh that is definitely bonding time for us..i love hanging out with my mom...it's all good!!

tho she doesn't listen too much to my kpop songs,but when she hears me singing it,

she's totally fine with it tho i know my voice is not so good to listen to, she still puts up with me...

and then when i make her listen to the songs from the dramas and make a trivia bout it,

she remembers from which drama that song was..and she likes them all!!

i'd love to bring her to korea one day coz i told her i have plans to go there and i was really surprised that she wanna go too!!

Guest saeyun

hahaha... even before when k-dramas were not popular in our country..

me and my family would watch dramas aired in arirang tv...

but most of the dramas there are outdated... but we still didn't care.

but they fuss about it when i listen to k-pop music.. or even watch their music videos...

i dunno why...

now though, they mellowed a bit since they know i'm k-pop obsessed crazy fan!!!!!!!

i am like KPOP FREAK....

well.. i use to be like ALL KPOP!! KPOP THIS AND THAT....

but didn't have the dough to buy the CDs and stuff...

Aniways, my parents said that i am going to marry a Korean guy

because i SIMPLY ADORE Korean guys! sooo kute!!

Guest CLOUD:7

It bothers my mom for some reason.. She always makes fun of me when I listen to Korean music or watch dramas. -.-

Guest Narda

It's been a while since i've been watching kdramas and the very first time i got hooked, they were concerned about me always going online and crying too much in my bedroom when it's 7:50-9:00 (time that kdramas play here.)

and when im listening to k-pop, my mom would get so pissed (in a GOOD way) it's because she cant understand what they're saying. Haha. :w00t:

BUT they're not irritated anymore. Ever since last year i think when Winter Sonata came on iATV and i havent watched it before, neither my parents. My dad got hooked (for some reason....) and so he'd always call me "yoojina" now.

Guest yoojini

my parents thought i was psycho at first since i couldn't understand wth they were saying. hahaha. but i guess it grew on them and what else could they do? confiscate my k-pop stuff?-__- so they respected my likings and would even inquire and sometimes gave their opinions about my fave singers back then. lol. as for the korean dramas with the subtitles and all, my mom enjoys watching em with me. :P

Archived