[drama 2003/4] Jewel In The Palace/ Dae Jang Geum 대장금 (大長今

theedqueen

Guest *lilyisland*

Yesterday, I saw Ji Jin Hee in one of the malls at Bangkok...I was coming out of the cinema and he was on stage with Takeshi Kaneshiro and I was like gosh...he is soooooooooo handsome!!!!

But anyway, I really love Dae Jang Guem ... it's one of the greatest dramas which I have ever seen....

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if anyone knew of this: Dae Jang Geum animated series? XDD I was just browsing around the Spring 2006 anime list and saw the title. :blush: Is anyone planning to watch it?

Ohh I believe tis animated series was aired starting frm late last yr , dunno whether it's still airing in Korea ? Stumbled on it b4 while watching online MBC channel but didn't really watch cus I dun understand Korean hehe .

Yesterday, I saw Ji Jin Hee in one of the malls at Bangkok...I was coming out of the cinema and he was on stage with Takeshi Kaneshiro and I was like gosh...he is soooooooooo handsome!!!!

But anyway, I really love Dae Jang Guem ... it's one of the greatest dramas which I have ever seen....

Ohh so lucky of u , are Ji Jin Hee & Takeshi in Bangkok to promote their Hong Kong movie , Perhaps Love ? ~~ ;)

Guest Choi Ji Woo

OMG..you've seen one of my crushes..how lucky you are..you've seen Jung Ho..

Ohh so lucky of u , are Ji Jin Hee & Takeshi in Bangkok to promote their Hong Kong movie , Perhaps Love ? ~~ ;)

I think you're correct..Perhaps Love will also be shown here in the Philippines.. :)

does anyone have clubbox links to the animated version of dae jang geum?

episode_46.jpg

episode_12.jpg

episode_11.jpg

janggeum2.jpg

animated jungho looks really cute :D

supposedly there is one other guy who has a crush on jang geum in this cartoon! ah i want to watch this so badddddly.

Guest Pikachu

Ohh I believe tis animated series was aired starting frm late last yr , dunno whether it's still airing in Korea ? Stumbled on it b4 while watching online MBC channel but didn't really watch cus I dun understand Korean hehe .

Ooh... I think they just imported in Japan... cause it was in Japan's Spring 2006 anime list.... If you plan to watch I'm sure some anime fansubbers picked this series up, though I'm not sure if they dubbed in Japanese or remained in Korean...

Guest Choi Ji Woo

supposedly there is one other guy who has a crush on jang geum in this cartoon! ah i want to watch this so badddddly.

i think i know that guy..i suppose he was one of the medicine scholars in the palace's hospital..DJG's currently airing here in the Philippines and were already on

episode 43..i think that guy is the medicine scholar who is working with the royal doctors in the palace's hospital..yesterday's episode aired here in our country had shown that the medicine scholar admitted to one of his companions that he has a crush on Jang Geum, he described her as an elusive butterfly, while he described himself as a lonely flower (if i remember his exact line correctly)..i rolled over the

floor while watching him yesterdaty night..he's very expressive with his feelings..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xx-outsider-xx

I love watching the love story of her parents and later, hers. The two were among the sweetest love stories i've ever seen on tv series. Most of the times, they express their love in a subtle way, yet it moves you, Like when his father secretly watched over her mother to make sure she was safe, secretly (though her mother found out) putting rocks across the river as a brigde when he knew that she would be going that way. and later, jang geum's very own love story reminds me so much of her parents. a palace girl and a palace guard.

Guest Choi Ji Woo

I love watching the love story of her parents and later, hers. The two were among the sweetest love stories i've ever seen on tv series. Most of the times, they express their love in a subtle way, yet it moves you, Like when his father secretly watched over her mother to make sure she was safe, secretly (though her mother found out) putting rocks across the river as a brigde when he knew that she would be going that way. and later, jang geum's very own love story reminds me so much of her parents. a palace girl and a palace guard.

history really repeats itself..that's what we call a conservative love story, we Filipinos really love the couple!!!

Guest rockerbabe

i was seeing dae jang geum again yesterday... ahhh... the romance between min jin ho and jang geum so deep and meaningful... rarely can find in real life now...

animated jungho looks really cute :D

ahh but he doesn't haf his beardie ~ :P

Ooh... I think they just imported in Japan... cause it was in Japan's Spring 2006 anime list.... If you plan to watch I'm sure some anime fansubbers picked this series up, though I'm not sure if they dubbed in Japanese or remained in Korean...

Ohh ya read tht the animated series is airing now in Japan every Saturday ~ B)

but too bad I'm not frm there , hope someone uploads it `~

Guest Choi Ji Woo

please use links the next time you want to post many pictures..stop flooding the thread with so many pics..

Guest Choi Ji Woo

April 15, 2006

Visit to Dae Jang Geum Theme Park

Series has brought not only laughter and tears to viewers worldwide but also heaps of tourist dollars to Korea.

At the first glance, I was surprised to see that our tour guide’s itinerary included a trip to a theme park devoted to the popular Korean drama series Dae Jang Geum. I shouldn’t have been, given the way hallyu ('’the Korean wave'’) has been sweeping the world. Although the weather was freezing, the set of the country’s hottest television drama series, shot by Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation (MBC) in Yangjoo City, was packed with tourists from different parts of the world.

20060415korea1.jpg

The souvenir shop and the kitchen where two chefs demonstrate recipes for ancient desserts and sweets are among the major attractions at the Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation set in Yangjoo City.

From the front entrance, posters of Lee Young-ae and Ji Jin-hee, the show’s two lead characters, were everywhere.

Sets - the doorway to the palace, the summer house, the Queen Mother’s court, the prison, the library, the kitchen and the fermentation room - have been kept the way they were, since the South Korean government purchased the site and turned it into a major attraction.

Tourists can also walk through the field where almost 200 rooms once stood. Most had information boards, which explained what they used to be, and what they were used for during the Chosun Dynasty. Tourists could even play court games and try on the traditional royal costumes for snapshots.

As with many other tourist attractions, there was also souvenir shop selling the usual kinds of knick-knacks - keychains, necklaces and bracelets, books, magazines, photo collections, DVDs, drinking glasses and even refrigerator magnets - bearing the images of the show’s stars.

20060415korea2.jpg

Next to it, there was a kitchen where two chefs, dressed in traditional royal Korean costumes, demonstrated recipes for ancient desserts and sweets.

Chatting with tour guides from Avenue Inter Travel Group, I found out that the set for Dae Jang Geum was not the only place to have been made famous through a film or TV series. It has many antecedents that have also generated a lot of Thai interest.

The location of the drama Winter Love Song (aka Winter Sonata) in Nami Island; the beautiful, trendy residential area of Full House in the Gwangyeok-si area of Incheon City and the beautiful lagoon of Hwajinpo; and the nostalgic Abai Village in Autumn in My Heart have also become popular destinations on tour itineraries.

The successful export of all this Korean culture has created hallyu fever, that is ‘’all things associated with Korea'’, which has expanded tourist revenue for South Korea.

According to the MBC’s ticket officers, the theme park welcomes 800 tourists a day, while numbers go as high as 1,500 to 2,500 on weekends.

The entrance fee is 5,000 won (198 baht) for an adult and 3,000 won for a child. Many nationalities visit the theme park, from Koreans themselves to Chinese, Japanese and Thai with the odd European and Westerner too.

According to Wisoot Phianphat, a sales manager at Avenue Inter Travel Group, the number of Thai tourists visiting South Korea doubled after the launch of the Korean TV series a few years ago.

Somchai Chomraka, the vice-president of the Thai Travel Agents Association (TTAA), said the number of Thai tour groups travelling to South Korea had almost doubled in recent years.

In the past, Korea drew only about 5% of Thai outbound travellers, compared with top-ranked Hong Kong and Singapore, which accounted for 25% each.

But over the past two years the tables have turned. China now tops the must-visit list for Thais, at 35% to 40% of all overseas trips, followed by Korea (20% to 25%), while Hong Kong and Singapore have slipped to 15%.

Korea’s success was due to good tourist promotion from the South Korean government, Mr Somchai said.

South Korea, the second most heavily affected country by the 1997-98 crisis after Thailand, realised it needed creative new ways to generate revenue for the country, and one was to aggressively promote tourism, he added.

The Seoul government has spent vast sums on advertising and public relations to promote its culture, food, fashion and destinations. Korean films and TV series have been in the forefront.

Incentives or bonuses have also been offered to Thai tour operators for promoting the country.

‘’The South Korean government has implemented a full range of intensive marketing strategies that have proved very effective, and could be an excellent example for Thailand,'’ Mr Somchai said.

However, he admitted that it would not be easy for Thailand to follow pace. Lack of sufficient promotional budget and experienced staff proved obstacles, he said.

‘’Also, the Tourism and Sport Ministry still lacks the independence needed to take aggressive and quick moves to counter the fierce competition in tourism industry,'’ he added.

Although passing through immigration in South Korea may still prove a problem, he believes that the country’s cultural exports through drama and film should continue to have a strong impact for years to come - as long as people still enjoy spending time flipping through their television channels

Source: Bangkok Post 15 Apr 2006

Credits to: DAE JANG GEUM THEME PARK ARTICLE

May is the month of Daejanggeum in Japan, with Lee Young-Ae and Im Ho visiting the country

With Daejanggeum's popularity still on the go, as evidenced by the recently released 'Daejanggeum' ball jointed fashion doll that can move its joints like a real human, the month of May in Japan is going to be filled with Daejanggeum, as the Golden Week begins.

Daejanggeum stamps just began sales on April 28, and on May 8, the lead actress Lee Young-Ae will appear in the livecast NHK program 'Hello From the Studio Park', followed by a large scale fan meeting in the NHK Hall.

From May 2 to 14, a 'Daejanggeum exhibition' will be held at the Mitsukoshi department store in Nihonbashi, Tokyo, featuring the costume and props used in the drama, pictures and video of the actors, a reproduction of the royal kitchen and a demonstration of the royal cuisine. In particular, Im Ho, the actor who played the role of King Joong Jong, and Ikuta Tomoko, the Japanese voice actor for Jang Geum, will hold a talk show on the opening day to reveal interesting behind-the-scenes stories about Daejanggeum. Im Ho is also attracting the attention of the Japanese viewers with his essay 'The King Talks About Yet Another Daejanggeum' published last month in Japan.

Also, an exhibition of Korean royal costume is being held at the Korean Drama Museum in Shinokubo, Tokyo, known as the mecca of Korean Wave in Japan. Widely considered the 'Daejanggeum museum' by fans, the exhibition allows visitors to experience Korean traditional culture by putting on the actual costume and taking pictures. Ceramic arts by Shim Su-Gwan is also on exhibit alongside the costume, further promoting Korean history and culture to the Japanese public.

Currently on broadcast every Saturday on NHK, 'Daejanggeum' is enjoying good viewership, while the 26 episode long TV animation 'Jang-Geum's Dream' is being aired during the prime time, at 7:30 every Saturday evening since April 8, as the 4th entry of NHK's Animation Theater serial. According to the weekly viewer ratings chart published on Yahoo Japan, 'Jang-Geum's Dream' was ranked 10th in its first week with 5.3% ratings, and the second episode aired on April 15 passed the 6% mark.

Moreover, the mobile game 'Jang-Geum's Dream' will begin service at the end of this month in Japan, and 'Jang-Geum's Dream' original soundtrack will be released in the middle of next month by Doremi Media, which contains 'Jang-Geum's Dream' by EX, the winner of grand prize at last year's university music festival, and 'Moonlight Girl' sung by Lee Seung-Hwan.

Meanwhile, Sonogong, the game and toy company, recently released 3 kinds of Jang-Geum animation character dolls in Japan, which consist of the royal cook Jang-Geum, the medical lady Jang-Geum and the court lady Jang-Geum. Korean Wave products of the drama 'Daejanggeum' and the animation 'Jang-Geum's Dream' are showing up one after another.

Written by Lee Tae-Moon in Tokyo, gounworld@mydaily.co.kr

Credits To: DAE JANG GEUM FEVER IN JAPAN TOUR ARTICLE

Guest Choi Ji Woo

April 15, 2006

Jewel in the Palace (Dae Jang Geum) Reviewed by AngryBaby

As in my other reviews, I strongly believe that if one intends to watch the series then don’t read the synopsis. If you are only reading this review to decide whether or not you should watch this then read on! I fervently recommend this well rounded series whether you are looking for a meaningful production, thought-provoking drama, emotional stimulation, culture shock, historical enrichment - or basically entertainment. But if you’re an ‘action’ buff then no there are no explosions, death duels, or people running on top of bamboo shoots - except perhaps for a ‘warm’ (hee hee) fire scene. And it’s also not for people who like to watch on fast forward mode or those with short fuses looking for lightning storylines. Make no mistake, this takes you through the whole long tedious hard work behind real success.

Since I don’t believe in reading summaries before viewing I am very brief below with no specific events or details, and you would probably notice I hardly mention any other characters despite their importance to the story. This means even if you read the synopsis it is certainly no substitute for watching the real thing. Still despite its brevity it’s still 3 pages long.

By all means just skip it.

Synopsis

This 70 episode long story is based on a real person who was the first (possibly only) woman to be recorded in Korean history as a King’s personal physician. The scene is set in the Joseon Dynasty at a time when society had a distinct class hierarchy system dominated by adamant chauvinistic traditions. Despite being a relatively well off period in history the country suffered from political instability with internal power struggles within the royal family and a government saturated with corrupt officials at every turn. The nation faced constant raids from the Japanese and was subordinate to China. In the midst of the chaos is the life story of a girl who relied not on connections or power but generosity and an unyielding spirit to be bestowed the title of the “Great Jang-geum” (series title) by the King himself.

Jang-geum’s (JG) parents were originally from the palace. JG’s father was a King’s officer given the task of carrying out the death sentence (poison) on the queen at the time. The event harrowed him so much that he resigned and left the capital. JG’s mother was a gong nu (palace girl) who cooked but unfortunately witnessed a crime (by a girl I’ll call Choi Shang Gong) which she reported. To ensure her silence the guilty parties attempted to murder her away from the palace. Her best friend (I’ll call Han Shang Gong) was forced to participate but managed to tamper with the poison used beforehand. JG’s mother was left for dead but was rescued and nursed back to health by JG’s father. And surprise they get together. Meanwhile the prince (whose mother was poisoned) ascends the throne and the first thing he does is impose revenge on anyone involved in his mother’s death. As a result, JG parents and JG lived on the run, constantly on the move - keeping their identities secret and dodging officials. Peaceful years go by until their past finally caught up to them and by then JG was about 6/7 yrs old. Because of her immaturity her father was arrested (and killed) which forced JG’s mother to contact her past acquaintance (Han) for help. This alerted the Choi family that she was still alive and they sent assassins after them. JG’s mother was fatally wounded from protecting JG and died in a cave. Her final wish was for her daughter, if she so chooses, to return to the palace as a gong nu and become the Highest Head Cook in order to gain access to the Head Cook’s Record book and write down the injustice she suffered so that it would pass to future generations.

And so begins the journey of little orphan JG who comes under the care of a petty yet well-meaning couple and becomes her adopted family. When she was 8, JG manages to beg her way into the palace to be a gong nu and makes good friends (Lien Shen) as well as rivals (Ling Lo) with other girls. She also makes friends with Geum-young who is part of the Choi family. Training since a young age, Geum-young was talented in cooking, and was seen as a potential Highest Head Cook. This would carry on the five generational tradition of Head Cooks in the Choi family and preserve their power in the palace. Even at such a young age Geum-young struggled to accept the path mapped out for her and she bid a tearful farewell to a childhood crush (Min Jung-ho) - as gong nus were seen as the King’s women and forbidden to marry.

JG’s curiosity and persistence constantly landed her in trouble with her superiors. By coincidence she becomes apprentice to Han (her mother’s best friend) neither knowing their connection. Although Han took a liking to JG it turned cold when JG asked her how she could become the Highest Head Cook. The murder of JG’s mother hardened Han’s heart for those with a desire for power and she misunderstood JG’s ambition, keeping a strict attitude towards her. Over years of stringent standards and discipline JG actually came out on top of the other girls in creativity and dedication of her culinary skills. A series of events occurs showing Han and JG as the greatest potential rivals to Choi and Gum Ying for the position of highest power in the imperial kitchen. In particular, the mutual respect between JG and Gum Ying is severed when Gum Ying was forced to make JG the scapegoat of her crime. Their relationship further soured after Gum Ying found out the closeness between JG and Min Jung-ho.

JG and Han comes out on top and Han is made the Highest Head Cook of the imperial kitchen despite facing impossible odds. However none of the success could compare to Han’s true joy when she finally discovered the close bond between her and JG - and through many years of regret and pining for JG’s mother, her best friend had ‘brought’ her daughter to be by her side all this time. They soon realize the Choi clan had been behind JG’s parents deaths. Unfortunately Choi Shang Gong and Gum Ying also find out their bond and desperately think of ways to rid them in order bury the past forever (to cover up the unauthorized killing of a gong nu). Their opportunity comes as the King falls seriously ill after eating a duck dish made by Han and JG on one of his trips outside the palace. Han and JG are wrongly accused of trying to poison the King and is charged with high treason. With Min Jung-ho’s help their death penalty is wavered but they are sentenced as servants on a remote island.

Due to the harsh interrogation process they suffered and the grueling journey to the island Han Shang Gong dies on the way. Overcome by grief, JG attempts multiple times to escape not wanting to spend the rest of her life virtually as a prisoner. Feeling guilty at his own uselessness Min Jung-ho quits his position to find JG at the island. He convinces her to stay and look for a way. She finds the way by becoming a doctor, only as a recognized physician can she hope to return to the palace. And so with Min Jung-ho cheering her all the way, support from her adopted parents and the guidance of new friends she battles her way back into the palace and confronts her nemeses. However, in the years she had left, Choi Shang Gong and Geum-young had become powerful whilst the friends she left had been ostracized because of their connection. The storyline becomes further complicated by power struggles within the royal family and the break out of plagues and diseases. The bond between JG and Min Jung-ho clearly blossoms into something more than mutual admiration. JG manages to bring justice by restoring her mother’s and Han Shang Gong’s names whilst ending the Choi family’s hold on power and demolishing the corrupt power network within the palace. The Choi family is scattered, Choi Shang Gong dies (arguably suicide) and Geum-young banished from the capital.

Peace does not last long and soon JG’s status makes her a useful pawn in the deadly game for power. JG decides she wants to be a doctor who helps people and would not waver from it even if it meant certain death. Upon hearing this King placed his personal trust in JG and found comfort talking to her as a confidante. He wished to appoint her as his personal doctor (unheard of in those days) but faced strenuous opposition. The controversy escalated till there was strong pressure for JG to be made the King’s concubine. By this time the King had truly fallen in love with her and is upset to find the reciprocated feelings between JG and Min Jung-ho. In the end the King spares JG from becoming one of his wives but keeps her by his side as his physician and is forced to put Min Jung-ho in exile. Painful years go by as JG looks after the King under the ever disapproving eyes of the court officials. Sadly due to hereditary weaknesses and old age the King’s health steadily deteriorates and despite JG’s best efforts he dies. Before he died, the King had JG sent to where Min Jung-ho was as he knew he had no power to protect her after he was gone.

Just like her parents, JG and Min Jung-ho become fugitives as JG continues to heal the sick around her and they too had a little girl. Then one day they are called back to the palace by the Queen where they are reunited with their friends and restored to their former status. However, both of them decide they prefer simple and happy lives outside of politics where JG had free will to help the needy and finally they leave the palace.

A closer look

The script

A big round of applause to Kim Yeong-hyeon for creating the backbone to such a successful production. The plot is skillfully and cleverly interwoven from past, present, and future, and ties in all the characters with one another. An important element in maintaining viewers’ intrigue is how each development continually builds upon each other so that the consequences and stakes are raised even higher for the next test. For instance, the viewer will feel elated when Han Shang Gong snatches the title of Head Cook from Choi Shang Gong in the cooking competition whilst worrying at the same time she had placed herself on top of Choi clan’s hit list; or feel victorious when Jang-geum was appointed to the imperial physician department but knowing she had thrown herself back into danger.

The other great part was how the story ‘implies’ rather than spell out what the viewer should be feeling or thinking. Every time I considered the story development I find something new, such as by running the King and Lien Shen’s relationship next to that of Min Jung-ho and Jang-geum’s it emphasized how much better the latter was.

DJG has been called a tragedy, a comedy at times, a biography, commentary on social prejudices and issues, a tale of self discovery, conspiracy and romance - just to name a few. Adding my two cents (I hate to write this) I’d say it’s also a love story of Jang-geum. It is about family love, between her and her parents that made them protect her at the cost of their lives and remained with her all her life. The love between teacher and student, comical love with her adopted parents and the love of true friendship with Lien Shen. Who can forget her and Min Jung Ho? Above all it was self-love, and I’m not talking about the “I’ll do whatever I want” attitude (of today). It is how she never gave up on herself. She would cry a lot but then work even harder afterwards and not for one moment procrastinate in self-pity. She never tried to dodge around her problems or allow herself to take the easy way out. And as a consequence, unlike other stories of vengeance, she emerges truly the winner â free from bitterness, no lesser in generosity but with an even bigger heart.

Acting

Overall it was very well cast and very well acted out. There wasn’t one role of substandard performance that wrecked the experience and I was quite impressed as usually there is someone I can’t stand (okay perhaps the ‘know-it-all’ smirk on JG’s daughter’s face).

Jang-geum’s parents

Not knowing what the story was about I originally thought JG’s mother was the main lead (JG) for she was quite pretty and familiar-looking. They made a very good mother and daughter pair. JG’s dad was convincing as the simple doting father. Although their screen time was not long they did well to create a permanent image of loving parents and good role models for the rest of the series.

Little Jang-geum

I never really click with child actors but this one was grudgingly good. First impression was a wide-eyed smart little girl but her crying scenes were most memorable.

Jang-geum

I was waiting to be disappointed. This was thanks to all the media hype in Hong Kong on how good this foreign series was, especially on the female lead (Lee young-ae) being so attractive blah, blah, blah. So with such high expectations, disappoint was sure to follow as I watched to see how pretty she really was with much skepticism. My first impression “I guess she’s okay…” and then she smiled which made me smile. For someone to be able to almost single handedly carry such a long ancient cultural drama from beginning to end without viewers getting tired of them (let alone rush home just to watch) certainly says something for their acting skills. The character truly belongs to young-ae now.

Min Jung-ho

I was slightly disappointed as I realized he was probably going to be the best looking guy in the series and I didn’t find him THAT attractive - that was at first. He really grew on me and now I personally prefer him with facial hair than the real life him. Ji Jin Hee successfully portrays the courageous and sentimental Min Jung-ho.

The King

Not really having much acting space till towards the end I felt more could be done to shows his character’s weak stance and personality in the face of pressure, though he did make me feel sad when he died.

Lady Han and Lady Choi

Han’s character was probably most diverse of all as she needed to maintain a cold exterior but at the same time show the audience she had a weaker and softer side which she rarely showed to outsiders. Her success at doing so obvious in scenes where despite being harsh with Jang-geum the audience’s fondness of her continued to grow or the atmosphere of serenity when Han and JG are together even when they were in the dungeon.

The actress for Choi was apparently going to be Lady Han instead and I’m glad the original line up didn’t prevail. Although Choi mastered those piercing glares and annoyed rolling eyes it seemed all she had. It left her character shallower than I thought Lady Choi really was.

The other girls

Apparently the actress for Lien Shen was going to be Jang-geum had Lee young-ae not taken the role. I was glad that didn’t happen as she made Lien Shen lovable as the dependent but very adorable best friend. Geum-young did the ‘pained guilty look’ well but it seemed to be the dominant expression, at times it was hard to decipher whether she was meant to be angry, troubled or just scheming. Ling Lo was great as the classic ‘little person’ arrogant and power hungry but lacking the capability of ever doing something big. The other girls were commendable but not outstanding.

The Adopted Parents

Normally these characters bug me but I guess they were necessary as comic relief when the drama gets heavy. They were loud and funny but at times over exaggerated. Like when the guy falls all over himself on a perfectly straight path for no apparent reason or starts snorting and shooting saliva each time he spoke. However admittedly they came rightly across as simple good people with many earthly flaws like an eye for cheap bargains.

The blemishes

Nothing fundamental enough to wreck the story but there are minor ailments. Why was little Jang-geum sitting next to her future daughter? Didn’t Jang-geum leave the contaminated village to get medicine so how come she got trapped in it when she returned? Remember Min Jung-ho had to knock out guards to sneak out to go and try getting medicine from the place she had gone before.

They also made some mistakes in their reference to Chinese historical facts. Such as the ‘Mun Han full banquet’ Choi Shang Gong prepared for the Chinese ambassador wasn’t invented until the Qing dynasty, which follows the Ming dynasty in whose time this story took place.

The slow pace (like many Korean productions) may make it tedious to some viewers especially those like me who are used to quick scenarios with instantaneous consequences. Here intensity slowly but surely builds up and I was proud to say I needn’t touch my remote once except when switching audio to Korean.

With the props and costumes a bit short in diversity and detail it is perhaps another compliment to the script writer and actors that the series still captured the attention of so many. Some more mistakes were like characters wearing heels (the female doctors towards the end) and the plump hands that cooked on behalf of BOTH JG and Han Shang Gong were a little too obvious. There is also some erratic snow falling shots but more than enough beautiful sceneries to make up for it. Understandably the lack of furniture and decor in all the rooms or variety in clothing or ornaments was due to the cultural and historical context. However being used to the extravagance of palace settings in Chinese ancient dramas this took a bit of getting use to and the metal hinged sliding doors didn’t help either.

What to watch for

- Jang-geum’s smile

- The numerous Jang-geum crying scenes each of which is different even if only in a small way. Be it the ‘quivering lip’, the ’single tear streak’, ‘eyes brimming with tears of joy’ or the painfully screwed up face as she watched Lien Shen cook for her.

- Lady Han dying on Jang-geum’s back

- When Jang-geum reunites with Lien Shen in the palace

- Jang-geum and Min Jung-ho’s definitive embrace

- The food and medical cases and facts used - the producers spent a whole year researching to get it right and accurate

- Scenes you can see the actors’ breathing and snow falling around because they almost froze to death making those.

Glancing Back…

This will be remembered. Looking DJG alongside other recent popular series like “Huan Zhu Ge Ge” (only the first one) and “Meteor Garden” (only the first one - see a pattern?) I’ve been trying to figure what it takes to make a classic. So far I see three things. Firstly a well prepared and thought-out script/story is foremost. In all three productions despite many subplots there was a simple core storyline or goal made clear at the beginning. In “Huan Zhu” it was restoring a princess without causing bloodshed. In “Meteor Garden” it was a rich guy winning over a poor girl. In DJG it’s about an orphaned girl’s path to becoming the King’s doctor and thus making history. Then you need the right cast, matching actors to characters. In addition, the main characters at least must be appealing to the eye - yes in realist terms that means physically attractive. Third is the soundtrack, although I’m not sure whether it’s the series that makes the soundtrack agreeable or the other way around.

It would also be amiss of me not to mention the love story between Min Jung-ho and Jang-geum. True romantics will adore these soul mates. Don’t get me wrong, in the series they don’t slit their wrists in fits of passion and scream everlasting love even if the heavens come crashing down. In fact they didn’t even tell each other they loved the other directly. But whilst in “Huan Zhu” it was cute puppy love and in “Meteor Garden” it was sweet possessiveness, DJG was the only one where I could believe they would live happily ever after.

Final Words

Doubt anyone read everything I’ve written above but hopefully you can guess I liked this series quite a bit (plus the 5 stars). I would have had serious doubts in funding such a risky project; not just a long series it’s a long ancient drama series. And not just that, its success depended predominantly on the appeal of one character. I’m glad someone did. Basically if you don’t watch it then it’s your loss.

I wonder whether the real Jang-geum ever thought in her wildest dreams that hundreds of years after her tragic death she would be acted out by an Asian beauty and that there would be hordes of people screaming her name at shopping malls in Hong Kong. The making of this in itself fulfilled the story’s own themes of justice and hope. Although a bit late Dae Jang-geum finally got her day.

Ratings: 5 out of 5

Lee Young-Ae, "half Ji Jin-Hee and half Im Ho would make a perfect man"

973_294068_youngae4_1.jpg

"Half Sir Min and Half Joong Jong would be perfect"

Dae Jang Geum's Hallyu star Lee Young-Ae revealed her ideal man.

Lee Young-Ae commented on her ideal man when she appeared in a popular TV show of Zhejiang TV during her visit to China on March 16. When asked what kind of man she thinks would be perfect, she answered that "if you combined half of Min Jeong-Ho (Ji Jin-Hee) and half of King Joong Jong (Im Ho), that would make a perfect man."

The MC, who claimed herself to be an avid Ji Jin-Hee fan, asked her what Ji is like in real life. "He is very funny, and also very delicate. He takes good care of people around him," Lee answered, praising Ji. "But I'm afraid a man like Sir Min whom he played is just too perfect to exist in the real world," she said.

Also, she humbly said it was a result of luck and fate that she got to work in Dae Jang Geum.

She is said to have enticed the audience and the emcees with her well-known gentle smile throughout the show.

Written by Im Ji-Beom of isportainment.com, yjb81@sportsseoul.com

Credits To: LYA'S IDEAL MAN

March 24, 2006

Stealing The Show

A Korean TV mega-hit has shed light on the weaknesses of Thai programming

No series in recent memory has been as popular as the South Korean drama Dae Jang Guem or Jewel in the Palace which just ended on Channel 3. A lot of people knew without question where they would be on Saturday and Sunday nights – in front of a TV watching Dae Jang Guem. The series, about the first female doctor in a Korean palace in ancient times, has been the talk of the town, and although the series recently ended, its impact is relevant to some industries and has even triggered criticism of Thai dramas.

Dae Jang Guem was the first Korean series to air on Channel 3 even though many Korean series have been broadcast on other channels since a K-pop phenomenon hit the kingdom. The show, which also enjoyed high ratings in South Korea, Hong Kong and Taiwan, is considered one of the biggest successes for Channel 3, generating a huge amount of income since October last year. Commercial air time during the series, which aired for two hours every Saturday and Sunday night cost 290,000 baht a minute as Channel 3 earned 3.5 million baht an hour.

“We didn’t expect that the series would be this popular. Before it was aired, some sponsors even turned it down. But today, they are queued up for commercial air time,” says Surin Krittayapongphan, vice president of marketing and sales of Bangkok Entertainment.

Such income, however, doesn’t include the VCD sales which come in three disc sets and cost 1,300 baht a part and are selling like hot cakes. As a result, Channel 3 decided to rerun the series every weekday night during school holidays.

Tourism is another industry that has benefitted from the mega-hit Dae Jang Guem. More and more people are visiting South Korea just because they want to go the studio. Almost all travel brochures from tour companies offer to take you “to Yangjoo City, Gyunggi Province to Dae Jang Guem Theme Park. You can visit locations such as her kitchen, all the kitchen utensils and other rooms in the palace in Dae Jang Guem.”

“It is so popular that the clients will cancel their trip if there is no Dae Jang Guem Theme Park included in the tour,” says Bandid Apijitti, managing director of Discovery Korea.

According to the production company Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation (MBC), the theme park covers 6,600 square meters and the outdoor studio was set up exactly the way it was when the drama was produced, drawing many foreign visitors who want a direct experience with the series. The MBC website also describes palace food and has recipes of dishes in the series.

“The good thing about this series is that the producers have researched history and psychology in order to make it fun for the audiences while also making them learn something. It is not a cheesy soap opera like many Thai dramas. It gives useful information to the audience about medicine, food, or useful health tips, which implies that the producers did a lot of homework,” says Bandid.

The popularity of the series doesn’t stop there though. Dae Jang Guem comes in four pocket books and had sold nearly 400,000 copies, according to Seksan Sukwattano, manager of Siam Inter Multimedia. It has been the top two best sellers at several leading bookstores such as B2S, SE-ED and Nai In since the books were launched three months ago. Seksan believes that there won’t be enough books to meet demand during the book fair later this month.

The program’s popularity has proved that Thai audiences do not always gravitate to cheesy dramas. The impact of Dae Jang Guem has already triggered criticism of Thai dramas which are full of jealous characters, trite romances and corny scenes such as a jealous woman slapping the lead actress across the face while trying to steal the hero’s heart.

“It is difficult to improve Thai drama. It’s been cheesy and boring like this for a hundred years. Dae Jang Guem proved that a good and realistic romance could also be successful among Thai people. But Thai producers do not realize and keep producing the cheesy ones to please the audience,” says Wirat To-areemitr, a well-known columnist.

Drama lecturer and screenplay writer, Thanawadee Satityuttakarn from Chulalongkorn University’s arts faculty uses the show as a case study for her class.

She said one successful factor is that the series is full of twists or unexpected situations, unlike Thai dramas which have the same plots and guessable endings. Also, the screenplay writing process is normally subject to interference from the broadcasting channels.

“We found that television executives keep ordering producers to advance the plot,” says Thanawadee. “They require the story to move in two days as they are afraid that the audience will not continue to watch if the story doesn’t progress fast. But like in Dae Jang Guem, you can see that sometimes the story doesn’t really progress for one week, but it is still fun because every scene contains unexpected situations.”

Assistant professor Surin Ronakiet of the psychology department at Thammasat University said successful dramas are usually those which show people’s intellectual and emotional needs. They should have a mix of different elements such as culture and sociology.

“Thai series are not creative, but they allow the audience to release stresses and forget problems in daily life. But good drama should benefit the audience’s brain and improve their thoughts. It would be great if the producers understand the psychology of human nature,” Surin says. “Creativity in drama is very beneficial and could change society. But it depends on the producers – whether they discover this or are able to bring it out to the audience.”

Source: IHT ThaiDay 24 Mar 2006

Credits To: DJG FEVER IN THAILAND

July 27, 2005

Lee Young Ae's Letter to Dae Jang Geum / Jewel in the Palace Fans

Hi, this is Lee Young-Ae.

Hello everyone, I’d been meaning to send greetings to you all, but I’m still somewhat unfamiliar with internet bulletin boards, so please understand if I sound a bit awkward or stiff.

Right now I’m writing from my room. The shooting starts tomorrow. I hope that all our Dae Jang Geum staffs will finish shooting safely and smoothly.

May this board become a warm and comforting space for you. I’ll listen to your words and reflect upon myself too.

Wish you all happiness and health.

Posted on MBC Dae Jang Geum forum at 19th September 2003

Thank you. This is Lee Young-Ae.

Hello everyone, this must be the last time I will greet you as Jang-Geum. I guess I was deeply absorbed in Jang-Geum too. Sorry about my belated message.

Looks like the time has finally arrived to let go of Jang-Geum, whose life I have lived with all my heart for so long. It’s too difficult for me to leave her behind alone. Even though we may forget Jang-Geum as time goes on, she will continue to go her way as she has so far.

I would like to thank Jang-Geum, who had been buried in history for hundreds of years and came back to awaken me to many valuable truths, as well as all Dae Jang Geum viewers, from our children who saw Dae Jang Geum through with Jang-Geum-like curiosity, to our loving grandmothers and grandfathers.

I’m also deeply grateful to all Dae Jang Geum staffs, including Lee Byeong-Hoon the producer, Kim Young-Hyeon the scriptwriter, and the rest of the staffs and fellow actors. Looking back, it was tough yet enjoyable time.

I wish all you Dae Jang Geum viewers health and happiness. I hope that you will always remember to cheer up like Jang-Geum even in hard times.

With that, Jang-Geum bids farewell to you.

Posted on MBC Dae Jang Geum forum at 30th March 2004

Credits To: LYA'S LETTER TO DJG FANS

Archived