Why not just one "College" forum?

Guest ronmexico

we do enter the subforum...

some of us do...

I don't like the idea a merging. It takes time to find threads. Regarding admissions, they change all the time so it's hard to keep up. But say it's a long day and u just want to relax and discuss... I don't really want to read all these questions. I only go to a few subforums on here anyways.

Guest theonecalledy2ckt

Dorm life is important to both college and precollege students. The SAT scores of college students help precollege students determine if they have a chance into getting into X College. I think its hard for precollege students to get the guidance and experienced knowledge the precollege forum seems to need because college students don't enter that subforum.

it's still a hassle to have to dig through a bunch of threads from high school students to get to threads i care about. i don't want to always be bombarded with questions from kids when i want to, for example, see something amusing in the random pic thread. some of us do help in the pre-college forum, but it's not like we should be merged and further pressured to help. <_<

im not a college student.. but i agree w/ those that want to keep it like it is..

i doubt we'll get much more feedback if we converge the two forums.. if we do.. i guess we might get more responses but a lot of them will probably be more careless than the ppl that take the time to respond now.. and after a few years of college.. those college students are kind of OUT of date on how things go.. still they know a lot.. but lots of things also change

and its just neater and more convenient for everyone else..

Guest ronmexico

As it is, the two fora combined have fewer posts than almost any other forum. Even the "humor" forum is larger. If that volume of posts is difficult to navigate, then the rest of soompi must be completely impossible. And again, this ignores the fact that there won't be as many posts when redundant threads aren't being created in both places.

I think joining the two would be a horrible idea, since for me, as a college student, i find the college life section a section where i can go for some free time and get some laughs and ideas.

Also, If i was a precollege student, which i was once, i would not be complaining about my topics not getting looked at by active soompi college members, but find out who might be able to answer your questions and PM THEM with your questions.

I dont want to go the the college section, and read topics like i got accepted to this place and i got this much money from this school.

I am a chemical engineer, so if you have broad general questions about this field, i can answer them since i went from, mech to civil to electrial to comp then to business then to chemical engineering.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest theonecalledy2ckt

Personally, I think it's a bad idea. Even if I wanted to help, I couldn't. The admissions process is so different already, and it's only been a couple of years. Plus, I couldn't help anyone about the SAT's, because they've changed. So I don't have much of an idea what the SAT's are like nowadays.

Maybe some of the threads in the pre-college forum aren't doing so well because they've already been asked and answered? Maybe you guys should double check.

Becuase if we merge the two forums together, it's going to be even harder to find topics from before

i agree with the statement about SATs. how the hell are we supposed to help when it's based around a 2400 instead of 1600. times are changing, and the very little we can tell about our experience may not be relevant to these kids.

it doesn't seem like most people want this. it'd just cause more confusion and would annoy both sides with posts that they don't care about. <_<

/rant

Guest Paper Wings

The majority of the pre-college stuff thats going on isn't really relavent to me or my experiences as a high school student trying to get into college. I just browsed through the first couple pages of the pre-college forum and most of the topics/questions are things I couldn't even comment on even if I wanted to. And I'm sure this applies to a lot of the other people who frequent the college students forum. Like how other people have already pointed out, a lot of the criteria we had to fulfill, like the 1600 point SAT, don't apply to today's situation.

With that said, I don't think a clutter of topics is a valid reason not to merge the two forums. If there is a topic you view a lot like the jitterbox or the random pic thread, you could always subscribe to it so that it's always tucked away in your control panel. Besides, it's not like either forum is as faced paced as the rest of soompi.

I personally wouldn't mind if the two forums are merged. But I predict that if they are merged, that the pre-college people won't get anymore help than they are already getting because people are either unwilling or unable to help. And in the end, everyone will just end up getting annoyed. I say we do the trial run and see how it works.

Archived