Lee Dong Wook 이동욱 Global Fans at Soompi

angiemty

1 minute ago, joyezz said:

Today WangSun meeting ended badly :bawling: he had to erase Sunny memory and order her to go home :confounded:

@joyezz that was too bad ending. I wonder has he erased all their meeting or just last part? Their relationships are so sweet but they're developing so freaking slowly :(((

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Princi_86 said:

@joyezz that was too bad ending. I wonder has he erased all their meeting or just last part? Their relationships are so sweet but they're developing so freaking slowly :(((

he should just told her he was not feeling well,why did he have to erase her memory.he said forget  about the whole meeting :bawling:

they only had 3 meetings and Sunny only remember 2 :tears:

If Sunny knows he keep erasing her memories she will say : seriously.. this namja haha

Merry Christmas :)

Image result for christmas tree gif

• Like 7

7 hours ago, siddy09 said:

@selenette @Puppywookie @Princi_86

Sometimes I wonder that is GR and Sunny's story really worth being a second lead's story? I mean just look at the possibilities and twists and turns that their story can offer. It could have been easily a whole drama based on just them. Sigh.

Didn't watch ep 8 yet. But after watching ep 7, I am super irritated with the main lead couple. I mean what does goblin want ultimately :grimace:Get the sword removed or get married to her. Their story is like tasteless bubblegum. The writer is doing complete injustice with grim reaper & sunny storyline. Their story is much more interesting but, alas very very less screentime. I can't help but  forward the scenes of the main lead couple

• Like 6

So glad Soompi has translated this article!!!! Wookie is such a great actor!!! 

Lee Dong Wook Moves Audiences With His Tearful Acting On “Goblin”

Lee Dong Wook

Lee Dong Wook recently moved audiences of tvN’s “Goblin” with an emotional scene that showed off his acting chops.

Lee Dong Wook currently plays a grim reaper who has forgotten everything about his past life on the fantasy-romance show. Although he is tormented by the thought that he may have done something terrible in his past life, he offers comfort to the souls he sends to the other side and shows a mischievous side when interacting with the titular goblin (Gong Yoo). Lee Dong Wook easily juggles the multifaceted nature of his character, even when it comes to his innocence in love that flusters his love interest (Yoo In Na).

In Episode 7, the actor ramped it up a notch with a sudden tearful scene. Even he seemed surprised by his own tears and tried to suppress the sobs, even grabbing at his own chest to hold back his feelings.

The scene was filmed on December 17 in Gyunggi Province. On set, Lee Dong Wook was full of “healing energy,” but became a little tense later on when it came time to focus for the big scene. To prepare, he sat on a chair by himself and stopped talking, staring into the distance as he tried to grasp the right emotions for the scene.

As he got into his character, the entire set’s atmosphere matched his mood. Lee Dong Wook was able to start crying right on cue, and the impressed staff were willing to keep working until the actor felt that he was satisfied.

“As soon as Lee Dong Wook receives the script, he starts analyzing his own scenes in great detail,” the production staff said. “He always works as hard as he can to portray the complex and deep grim reaper wherever he is. He is pouring 17 years worth of experience into the role.”

https://www.soompi.com/2016/12/24/lee-dong-wook-moves-audiences-tearful-acting-goblin/

• Like 7

@Princi_86 nice to see positive articles about Wookie on Christmas morning :)

another one 

Wookie is on the list of great kisser haha

it is not a ranking but still makes me smile he is no.1 haha

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2016/01/11-korean-actors-who-are-pros-at-locking-lips-on-screen/s/1

I really love this scene 

he reminded me of CJW here

I've missed Wookie's dramatic acting

I am sorry I can't take you home

turn around and go home  :tears:

• Like 5

Ladies, I'm very, very impressed and satisfied with Lee Dong-wook's emotional scenes in Eps 7-8 of Goblin. I know they are short, but they're so impactful, surreal, and beautifully acted.  

I'm also happy with the scores/music in those scenes. They sound like LotR/The Hobbit or GOT scores, or something that composer Hans Zimmer writes in general.

It's as if The Reaper was given his own epic fantasy film... which Lee Dong-wook and his character deserve, tbh.

This is unique, given that his earlier leitmotif is a mixture of the magical and whimsical (resembling John Williams', Nicholas Hooper's and Alexandre Desplat's scores for the Harry Potter films). His leitmotif has changed from light to dark in a span of 8 episodes, I love how the music director pays attention to The Reaper and to Lee Dong-wook's amazing portrayal.

EDITS:

If you must know, the Goblin has only 1 leitmotif in this drama. His scenes are often accompanied by the OSTs. On the other hand, The Reaper has three or four, afaik, which range from light-hearted to somber. Isn't it delightful?

Leitmotif = a recurrent theme throughout a musical or literary composition, associated with a particular person, idea, or situation.

Film Score =An original music written specifically to accompany a film.

Sorry I'm a nerd.

Edited by selenette
Edits
  • Like 5

@joyezz The score with the church organ was definitely The Reaper's, (1)

as well as the Room of Cups score, (2)

and then there's another one when he saw the Queen's face on the scroll, (3)

and when Kim Shin wrote The Reaper's name, I think it's either a continuation to (3) or a new one (4)

• Like 5

Gals, such interesting convos! Will return later. Just dropping by to post this fancam. 

I wonder where those girls have seen Wookie? In car? Have tried recognize his somewhere but faied

If LDW and KGE was on screen couple their shippers would be sailing their ship so far after such bts pics. But as Wookie's fan I know that they're simply friends since Wookie is simply very open with his comfort zone when he's getting close with people.

And Lee Dong Gook's Grim Reaper style :w00t: Dong Brothers!

• Like 3

I'm sure many people here have known this already, but the names written here are KIM SUN 金善  (on the left) and WANG YEO 王黎 (on the right).

IMG_20161225_172630.jpg

Now onto the name meanings.

A. KIM SUN

from KIM  金 = gold, iron

and SUN  善 = virtuous, good, charitable, kindness  (Note: the character is formed by two other characters, 誩 ("say a lot") and  羊 ("goat" [= sacrifice, soft speech], implying that the person always speaks in kindness and is sefless/self-sacrificing)

---> GOLDEN VIRTUE, GOLDEN KINDNESS

B. WANG YEO

from WANG 王 = king (Note:  the three horizontal strokes are Heaven, Man and Earth. The vertical stroke is the king. A  king connects Heaven, Man, and Earth )

and YEO    = dark, black, many people

---> THE DARK KING, THE BLACK KING, THE KING OF MANY PEOPLE

Cmiiw. 

SOURCES:

• Like 8

11 hours ago, selenette said:

@joyezz The score with the church organ was definitely The Reaper's, (1)

as well as the Room of Cups score, (2)

and then there's another one when he saw the Queen's face on the scroll, (3)

and when Kim Shin wrote The Reaper's name, I think it's either a continuation to (3) or a new one (4)

@selenette thank you for your post (for their name meaning and for BGM) and for praising Wookie's acting! I agree with you that he (as well as Sunny/Queen)  deserves separate drama or at least movie. there are so much in GR's Universe to reveal and to film. As to the scores. I have noticed as well that he has different signature BGM but I thought that's because he doesn't have OSTs like Goblin, since he's not the part of main love line which normally has those super porular written by kpop bands songs.

But for me it's totally ok to have BGM for GR's scenes since it's heard to find proper song for character's theme. And BGM makes me feel storyline much more then OST songs. Rarely I find OST touching. That's why one of my favorite OSTs will always be Bubblegum, since they had a lot of wonderful BGM which fitted characters. So talking about BGM for GR, you have mentioned 3 or even 4 and for Goblin 1. Which one is for Goblin? Maybe this? I thought it's for their storyline with ET:

Spoiler

As to Grim Reaper, the Chrurch organ will be probably this? This one is the funniest score. 

Then for Room of Cup score you have mentioned will be this? (this one is my forever favourite BGM in Goblin so far and for me it's assosiates with death):

For crying scene when he sees scroll this? This one is my 2nd fav background music and I think it's King and Queen sad love story theme, who are GR and Sunny and we'll for sure hear this theme in upcoming episodes both in flashbacks and present time with their couple.

And for feeling pain in chest scene is this one? I feel that it's separate then the one when he was crying, but strong and emotional one with dark feeling.

As to OSTs for our OTP. I like that one from Eddy Kim, it's really light and fits their hilarious dates, but I'm waiting for this OST the most since it fits their love story more. And I already can feel upcoming angst through this song. Actually I love secondary couple's OST in DOTS more then lead's couple the most

Spoiler

. Maybe because with leading couple they're trying to attract more trendy and popular singers but not always those songs are fitted. 

Ok here is our OTP's upcoming OST which will be strong and touching...but still I would love to have same vibe song as Mad Clown & Kim Na Young - Once again. 

Sorry for long post, chingus! But as @selenette I love love love music topic 

• Like 6

Guys, summing up today's situation, I can say that our GR and our OTP is getting more and more and more love. On Navercast GR is a part on 70% vids posted and under each vid his character is loved so much in comments. GR is cute is the most popular comment under each video where there is glimps of GR, even if it's video dedicated to KS and ET with GR as an extra. Even if his name or face is not on the video his (or Wookie's name) is almays mentioned and praised in top comments. Among 20 vids released on Navercast after ep8 - 10 are featuring our GR and in all 10 he's praised in top comments 9even if video is not fully dedicated to his character's storyline). Wookie receives really huge attention from knetz. I can feel and see this attention everywhere, Especially on popular blog platforms he's getting a lot attention since his character is multilayered and Wookie's acting is eye catching.

And that's also because of his storyline. It's eyecathcing. Even Javabeans (the head of Dramabeans who supposed to be GY fan) has written next in her latest recap:

http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/12/the-lonely-shining-goblin-episode-8/

I keep trying to figure out what isn’t working for me, because I like all of the ingredients of the show separately. I guess it’s not my brand of soup. I like all the characters, and they’re all wonderfully played, but Reaper’s the only one who tugs my heartstrings, so the rest of it tends to feel distant and glossy.

But I do really love the Reaper, and for being such a terrible person in Shin’s original life, he’s quite moving now, in a version of himself that’s been stripped of memory and baggage. My interpretation of the reaper system is that Reaper’s personality is essentially intact, and that he just doesn’t know anything of his past life. But of course, that past life is so full of emotional scars and pain that not having a recollection of them would make him fundamentally a different person now, without them. It seems that Shin had trusted the king before the king had been poisoned by his advisor, and he’d told us that he’d never seen all that jealousy and fear directed at him. So I read the king as someone who could have been decent and warm, the way I see Reaper now, and it also explains why Reaper has this childlike innocence about him. I just want so much for him to heal that rift and be best buddies with Shin, because better 900 years late than never.

Now that the Reaper’s and Sunny’s identities have been cleared up, the question we turn to now is what comes of their reincarnations and why they’re meeting again. I’m also curious as to the mechanism for reincarnation in this world, since we’ve seen souls move on to the afterlife and presumably not return again. Do reincarnated souls have unfinished business? What gives them the chance to come back in a new form, as opposed to, say, ghosts that don’t even make it that far because they haven’t even left their first life behind? Will resolving their issue allow them to move on for good?

Cos the storyline of GR is complex. And the more we are getting through episodes the more I understand Wookie's desire to play GR character...or he's the one who brought this amazing feelz to GR character?

Lee Dong-wook's agency conveyed his mind – "Lee Dong-wook got to know the "Goblin" because he worked with the production before when he was filming "Bubble Gum". He had a great interest in the charming character of the grim reaper and the major deciding factor was because he heard Gong Yoo took the role of the Goblin. They are very close".

http://www.hancinema.net/behind-the-scene-with-goblin--101822.html

GR character is not only charming, he's complex and multilayered.

And gals...I'm so sorry, but i think Grim Reaper will dethrone Cha Jae Wan in my persomal rating of Wookie's characters :tears: Wang Yeo is so precious. My heart races when I see him especiallu when he's with Sunny. Wookie is amazing in showing chemistry even though they have barely few scenes. YIN is awesome as well. I feel even more chemistry then in my beloved drama "Qween In Hyun's man"

• Like 7

Hi Princi,

Thanks for giving us the good news. It's like the best christmas present for all of us, we could not have expected that at the end of the year, fate would have it that Lee Dong Wook could make a come back and a really good one. I had prayed so much that somehow some miracle would happen that he would suddenly be loved by kneitizens again and it has happened. That is such a wonderful miracle. Now they can see what we do, his talent, his handsomeness, his awesomeness and his charm!

• Like 5