[Upcoming Drama 2024] Won Kyung, 원경-Cha Joo Young & Lee Kyun Wook- Premieres in 2024

larus

Drama: Won Kyung

Hangul:원경

Genre: historical,

Network:tvN

Episodes:

Director: Kim Sang Ho (Money game, Springs Turns to Springs, Avengers Social Club, Man to man, Arang and Magistrate, Can You Hear My heart) )

Writer: Lee Young Mi

Release Date: 2024

Runtime:

Production Company: Studio Dragon

OST:

Official site:

Plot

Drama Won Kyung will tell the story of Queen Won Kyung, the person who worked with King Taejong Lee Bang Won to gain power 600 years ago. The upcoming K-drama will showcase the story of Won Kyung who had no choice but to be labeled as an incarnation of jealousy and desire. 

Cast

Cha Joo Young as Queen Won Kyung

Lee Kyun Wook as Lee Bang Won/King Taejong

Lee Sung Min as Lee Seong Gye

Character descriptions

Teasers/Trailers

01.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  SOOMPI TV, Viki, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

The Glory fame Cha Joo Young in talks to lead historical K-drama Won Kyung

Actress Cha Joo Young who played the role of Choi Hye Jeong in the popular revenge thriller has been reportedly approached for a new lead role.

Written by Ayushi Agrawal Updated on May 09, 2023   |  05:39 PM IST  |  232.6K

1815425132_cha-joo-young.jpg

Cha Joo Young might be taking up her first mainstream lead role and we couldn’t be any happier for her! According to an insider, the actress was cast in the lead role for an upcoming historical K-drama named Won Kyung. Cha Joo Young is said to have been courted for the role of the titular, lead character of Queen Won Kyung in the drama.

Cha Joo Young in talks for Won Kyung

Responding to the reports, Cha Joo Young’s agency Ghost Studio said that their artist had been offered the role and she is positively reviewing it, not confirming the casting. The K-drama, Won Kyung, is about a Queen named Won Kyung who joins forces with King Taejong Lee Bang Won. She came to power about 600 years ago thanks to her strategic planning and support from her husband. She was regarded as an incarnation of jealousy and desire in the Annals of the Joseon Dynasty.

If confirmed, Cha Joo Young will embody Queen Won Kyung who is the infamous daughter of Min Je, known to be one of the wealthiest families in Goryeo. She eventually marries a man younger than her by 2 years, and raises Lee Bang Won to become the ruler of the nation, displaying her unrivaled want for power.

Cha Joo Young in The Glory

Netflix’s superhit show ‘The Glory’ led by Song Hye Kyo, Lee Do Hyun, Lim Ji Yeon, and more, starred Cha Joo Young in the role of Choi Hye Jeong. She was one of the perpetrators of school bullying against Song Hye Kyo’s Moon Dong Eun. Playing the role of an air hostess, the character showed her own greediness for power, acceptance, and validation to be her doom. Cha Joo Young was praised for her acting alongside other cast members.

About Cha Joo Young

Born on 5 June 1990, Cha Joo Young has previously been a part of multiple famous Korean dramas including ‘Cheese in the Trap’, ‘Wok of Love’, ‘Again My Life’, and more. Her last role following ‘The Glory’ was in ‘The Heavenly Idol’ where she played Redlin. Currently, Cha Joo Young stars as Jang Se Jin in the romance drama ‘The Real Has Come!’, led by Ahn Jae Hyun and Baek Jin Hee.

by lo_ve, July 11, 2023
8 2

Lee Hyun Wook will reportedly work with Cha Joo Young in a new historical K-drama that will air on tvN.

Media outlet Star News shared an exclusive report on July 11 revealing that Lee Hyun Wook is being considered to lead the upcoming K-drama Won Kyung

The production company of the K-drama Studio Dragon told Star News, "Won Kyung is currently in the early stages of production, and were are still in the middle of casting. Lee Hyun Wook is one of the actors that received the casting offer."

Lee Hyun Wook's agency Management Air responded to the casting reports. According to the agency, Won Kyung is one of the projects that was offered to the actor and he is currently reviewing it. 

If the actor decided to join the upcoming historical K-drama, this will be his fourth upcoming K-drama. Lee Hyun Wook is set to join the new K-dramas such as The Queen Lives in Seoul, Shark 2: The Storm, and Song of the Bandits

Last year, Lee Hyun Wook gained more attention after starring in the Netflix original K-drama Remarriage and Desires. He worked alongside Kim Hee Sun, Jung Eugene, Park Hoon, Cha Ji Yeon, and Kim Yun Seo

Lee Hyun Wook will also return to the big screen with the upcoming movie The Incident.

eYwdZE_2f.jpg

The K-drama Won Kyung will tell the story of Queen Won Kyung, the person who worked with King Taejong Lee Bang Won to gain power 600 years ago. The upcoming K-drama will showcase the story of Won Kyung who had no choice but to be labeled as an incarnation of jealousy and desire. 

The upcoming K-drama will be helmed by Kim Sang Ho (Avengers Social Club) and written by Lee Young Mi. 

Trending actress Cha Joo Young also received the offer to lead the K-drama and portray the role of Queen Won Kyung.

Meanwhile, Lee Hyun Wook got the offer to play the leading male role.

https://mydramalist.com/article/lee-hyun-wook-will-reportedly-join-cha-joo-young-in-a-new-tvn-historical-k-drama

by Lily Alice, October 9, 2023
5 6

Actor Lee Sung Min will portray the historical figure Lee Seong Gye in the upcoming historical drama Won Kyung.

According to OSEN's report, actor Lee Sung Min has chosen the drama Won Kyung as his next project.

Won Kyung is an upcoming K-drama that tells the story of Queen Won Kyung of the Joseon Dynasty, who, six centuries ago, partnered with King Taejong Lee Bang Won to seize power. Real-life historical figures, including Queen Won Kyung - who was known for her jealousy and greed, as recorded in the annals of the Joseon Dynasty - will be brought to the small screen. 

In Won Kyung, Lee Sung Min will take on the role of Lee Seong Gye - the father of Lee Bang Won, the father-in-law of Queen Won Kyung, the founder and the first ruler of the Joseon Dynasty. 

Historical figure Lee Seong Gye has been portrayed by prominent actors in various films and dramas over the years. Anticipation soars how Lee Sung Min, well-known for his versatility and acting prowess, will play Lee Seong Gye in the upcoming K-drama. 

Lee Sung Min received immense praise for his role in JTBC's Reborn Rich, which won him the Outstanding Korean Actor Award at the Seoul International Drama Awards 2023. He also delivered an excellent performance in the K-movie The Devil's Deal.

RBPOQE_2f.png

In November, alongside Yoo Yeon Seok and Lee Jung Eun, he will bring to the audience the crime-thriller A Bloody Lucky Day, a TVING drama based on the Naver webtoon of the same name.

Won Kyung reunites director Kim Sang Ho, screenwriter Lee Young Mi, and Lee Sung Min, who previously worked together in Money Game

Production of Won Kyung is being handled by Studio Dragon, and casting is currently underway. Actress Cha Joo Young will play the role of Queen Won Kyung, marking her first attempt at a historical drama. Won Kyung aims to air next year.

Source

https://mydramalist.com/article/lee-sung-min-will-play-cha-joo-young-s-father-in-law-in-the-new-k-drama-won-kyung

• 3 weeks later...

20231026055022_cha-joo-young-lee-hyun-wo

Cha Joo Young And Lee Hyun Wook Confirmed To Star In New Historical Drama

Oct 26, 2023
by S. Kim

Actors Cha Joo Young and Lee Hyun Wook will star in tvN’s new historical drama “Won Kyung” (romanized title).

“Won Kyung” tells the story about the fiery life of Queen Won Kyung, a kingmaker who dreamed of a new world in the early Joseon Dynasty and made her husband Lee Bang Won a king with whom she shared the power of the throne. Although she was recorded in historical records only as “King Taejong’s wife” or “Mrs. Min” without her full name, the drama sheds light on Queen Won Kyung, who lived an independent life without losing herself despite devastating betrayals and harsh reality.

“The Glory” star Cha Joo Young will take on the role of Won Kyung. Having been born as the daughter of the Yeoheung Min family, one of the 15 major families that can marry into the royal family in Goryeo, Won Kyung is an intelligent and self-confident woman with a dream of changing the world. Won Kyung makes her husband Lee Bang Won the king of Joseon, and together they create a regime. However, Lee Bang Won betrays her for other women and destroys her father’s family, but Won Kyung never compromises or give ways to betrayal and conflict.

Lee Hyun Wook will play the role of Taejong Lee Bang Won, who is Won Kyung’s husband and the third king of Joseon. Lee Bang Won is a self-conscious man who grew up in the countryside and marries the upper class woman Won Kyung. Lee Bang Won is also the embodiment of the desire to become a great king in order to justify his rebellion, be recognized by his father, and overcome his insecurities about his background.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1622197wpp/cha-joo-young-and-lee-hyun-wook-confirmed-to-star-in-new-historical-drama

October 26 2023

Cha Joo-Young and Lee Hyun-Wook cast in tvN drama “Wongyeong”

Wongyeong_KD-a00.jpg

Cha Joo-Young and Lee Hyun-Wook are cast in tvN drama series “Wongyeong.” The drama series is based on the life of Queen Wongyeong (August 6, 1365 – August 27, 1420). Cha Joo-Young will play title character Wongyeong and Lee Hyun-Wook will play her husband King Taejong. The drama series is scripted by Lee Young-Mi and directed by Kim Sang-Ho. Screenwriter Lee Young-Mi and Director Kim Sang-Ho previously worked together for 2020 tvN drama series “Money Game.”

“Wongyeong” will air sometime next year in South Korea.

Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki: Queen Wongyeong (Cha Joo-Young) was born to Min Je in the Goryeo period. She came from a prestigious family that produced numerous high level government officials over many generations. Queen Wongyeong, known as Lady Min at the time, is married to Yi Bang-Won (Lee Hyun-Wook), known as Prince Jeongan. His father is King Taejo, the founder and the first ruler of the Joseon dynasty. Yi Bang-Won wants to become the next king, but his father selects his second son Yi Bang-Gwa as his successor. Lady Min and her husband Yi Bang-Won are not happy about that. She works as a kingmaker to help Yi Bang-Won become King Taejong and they create a new regime. After Yi Bang-Won becomes the king, he acquires many concubines. Queen Wongyeong is upset with his concubines and her relationship with King Taejong deteriorates. To strengthen his authority, King Taejong moves to keep Queen Wongyeong and her family in check.

https://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/cha-joo-young-and-lee-hyun-wook-cast-in-tvn-drama-wongyeong

by lo_ve, October 26, 2023
2 0

Cha Joo Young and Lee Hyun Wook are officially the main leads of the upcoming historical K-drama Won Kyung.

On October 26, tvN confirmed the casting of Cha Joo Young and Lee Hyun Wook and they also revealed that the series will premiere both on tvN and TVING in 2024. 

Won Kyung will depict the life journey of  Queen Won Kyung the kingmaker who made her husband Taejong Lee Bang Won gain power and become the third king 600 years ago. The upcoming K-drama will showcase the story of Won Kyung who had no choice but to be labeled as an incarnation of jealousy and desire.

The upcoming K-drama will be the next work of director Kim Sang Ho (Avengers Social Club, and Arang and the Magistrate) and screenwriter Lee Young Mi (Secrets, Objects).  This will be their second collaboration of the two. They previously worked together in the 2020 K-drama Money Game

Aside from Cha Joo Young and Lee Hyun Wook, brilliant actor Lee Sung Min will also join the series as the father-in-law of Won Kyung. 

Won Kyung will be produced by Studio Dragon and JS Pictures. There is no specific airing date yet for the upcoming K-drama.

Z80r48_2f.png

Cha Joo Young will play the role of Won Kyung. She was born to the Yeohung Min Clan, one of the 15th-generation families of the Goryeo Dynasty's Jaesangjijong (a family that can marry a royal family that produces ministers for generations). Won Kyung's goal is to be a world changer that's why she chose to marry Lee Bang Won. Won Kyung will do everything to make Lee Bang Won the King of Joseon and they will attain power together. 

Lee Hyun Wook on the other hand will play the role of Lee Bang Won, Won Kyung's husband and the third King of Joseon. He is a person with an inferiority complex who received great power because of her wife. Although he is the king, he is still not recognized by his father.

The production team of the upcoming K-drama shared, "Cha Joo Young and Lee Hyun Wook will be first timers to historical K-dramas but despite that, they still showed solid acting. We appreciate that the main leads fully understand the intention of our work and focus on the marital relationship of the two characters. Viewers will be able to see a new story that has never been revealed before. Our story will be different from the previous dramas that also showcased Won Kyung and Lee Bang Won."

https://mydramalist.com/article/cha-joo-young-and-lee-hyun-wook-confirmed-to-work-together-in-a-new-tvn-historical-k-drama

News bites: October 30, 2023

by tccolb

202310261341773313_6539f04e47997_1024x.j

The new sageuk Won-kyung confirmed casting with Cha Joo-young (The Real Has Come) as our title’s soon-to-be Joseon queen and wife to Lee Hyun-wook’s (Song of the Bandits) Lee Bang-won (the future King Taejong). Playing his father is Lee Sung-min (Shadow Detective 2) as the current King Taejo, a.k.a. Lee Seong-gye. Releasing on both tvN and TVING, the historical will be launching in 2024. [Osen (1), Osen]

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/10/news-bites-october-30-2023/

• 8 months later...

Cha Joo-young "'Am I Won-kyung?' ‘Distant view’ was so elaborate that it made you wonder”

optimize

Cha Joo-young plans to meet viewers in a historical drama in 2024. She plays the main character in the tvN/TV drama 'Wonkyung (元敬)', which is scheduled to be released this year. 'Wonkyung' is a romantic historical drama depicting the marital relationship between Queen Wongyeong, the woman of Lee Bang-won (played by Lee Hyun-wook) and the 'kingmaker', and is one of the most anticipated works of 2024. How did you want to portray Won-kyung, your character in the play?

▶ I had many conversations with the director. I thought Queen Won-kyeong was strong on the inside, and she seemed to have a personality that showed her strength in the situations she was in. I don't know how to portray her in terms of her inner abilities, but I didn't want to show her only in terms of her appearance. There were sad and difficult situations and situations that made me angry but had to be let go. In that part, I wanted to show emotional acting.

-Wonkyung, the title role of 'Wonkyung', is a person who has actually experienced a lot. In addition to the melodrama, there must have been many crisis situations. How much did you empathize with the characters in the play?

▶ It’s a situation where there is a lot of empathy. Since I started filming, I have been living in the distance every day. 'Am I Won-kyung?' It makes me want to. When I read the script, I feel empathy. Actually, I have many emotions. When I look at my co-star, (Lee) Hyun-wook, I feel many emotions. I hope that the emotional scenes are conveyed well to the viewers.

Spoiler

optimize

-Won-kyung, a character who has already appeared in several historical dramas. Are there any actors you referenced for this role?

▶ I couldn’t help but refer to it. However, beyond that, I did not try to interpret what my seniors did any further. I tried to refer to the tone of voice, situation, etc. Nothing more than that. I want to give it a little more variety. The idea was to create our own distant view, the distant view of ‘distant view’. I can't tell you much because I'm currently filming, but I'm creating Cha Joo-young's own distant scenery.

optimize

-What kind of results do you want to achieve through ‘Long View’?

▶ I am becoming very cautious. It hasn't been broadcast yet. So I think it would be difficult to say anything hastily. However, I hope people say, ‘You worked hard,’ ‘You put in a lot of effort,’ and ‘You put a lot of effort into it.’

-You even got to play the lead role in a historical drama with ‘Wonkyung’. I feel like a full-length historical drama would also work well. If you were offered an offer to appear in a full-length drama in the epic historical drama and modern drama genres at the same time, which genre would you choose?

▶ It is true that historical dramas are physically difficult. Still, the fantasy that historical dramas provide is interesting. If two genres of work are proposed at the same time. In that case, I think I would also be interested in a historical drama. I want to try an authentic historical drama. I also want to try historical dramas that involve battles and wars. Ready!

-Cha Joo-young, who will show a new appearance with a new work this year. It will be different from last year. Will anything be different in 2023 and 2024?

▶ I thought I might not be able to work if I kept the way I looked at my work before. I'm trying to expand my thinking further. I think things have changed a bit in that respect.

optimize

-I heard that the fans’ love for Cha Joo-young is very big. Is there anything you would like to say to her fans?

▶Thank you always. What am I saying, how can I like it so much? I try to keep my words and actions together. I don't like telling fans what I'll do for them just by saying words. As a result, there were some things I wasn't good at expressing. Fans give me blind love. I am truly grateful. So I think the only way is to repay them with my work. Of course, I also want to do well for my fans. What I can do for you right now is to act well in your work. I want to say thank you to my fans.

-Do you have any plans for how you will spend 2024?

▶ When it comes to planning, of course the ‘distant view’ comes first. I'm also working hard on filming. I will do my best to meet the viewers in a good way.

-Finally, is there anything you would like to say?

▶ I’m working really hard. Even though I may be lacking, I am confident in the team I work with. I'm putting a lot of effort into it. I'm trying to make sure my efforts don't go to waste. I hope you look forward to my future work. And you can look forward to the next one as well. I will work hard and stand in front of you.

Spoiler

optimize

https://www.starnewskorea.com/stview.php?no=2024040411461925078

tvN announces lineup for second half of 2024

by tccolb

It’s been a wild first half of 2024 on tvN, riding through a roller coaster of feels as we shook our fists at cheaters and cheered for revenge, wiping away ugly tears for the queen, and soon dissolving into a lovely fit of squees. But yay for us, we still have another half year to also look forward to and tvN gives us a sneak peek into the upcoming lineup in a new teaser announcement.

6a0759305e287e92e3c316c3767818871e0183ad

Title: Won-kyung
Release date: TBD
Need to know: The sageuk delves into the popular story of Joseon’s Lee Bang-won (later King Taejong), with Lee Hyun-wook taking the mantle. Also commanding the screen, Lee Sung-min plays the current King Taejo (a.k.a. Lee Seong-gye). But this time, our story’s focus will be on Lee Bang-won’s soon-to-be queen and title character played by Cha Joo-young.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/07/tvn-announces-lineup-for-second-half-of-2024/