[Drama 2024] Blood Free/Dominant Species/지배종

larus

Watch: Han Hyo Joo And Joo Ji Hoon Form Intriguing Alliance Amidst Rising Tension In New “Blood Free” Teaser

Watch: Han Hyo Joo And Joo Ji Hoon Form Intriguing Alliance Amidst Rising Tension In New “Blood Free” Teaser

Han Hyo Joo and Joo Ji Hoon’s highly anticipated series “Blood Free” has dropped its main teaser!

“Blood Free” is a suspense thriller about Yoon Ja Yoo (Han Hyo Joo), the CEO of the genetic engineering enterprise BF that opens a new era of artificially cultured meat in 2025, and Woo Chae Woon (Joo Ji Hoon), a retired officer-turned-guard who deliberately approaches her, as they get swept up in a series of incidents and a mysterious death.

The teaser kicks off by unveiling that Yoon Ja Yoo has become a global target for murder due to her intervention in primary industries as the CEO of a new biotech company BF that has begun to dominate the meat market. In the ensuing scene, Woo Chae Woon receives an order, “BF will appoint a bodyguard. Go and become her right-hand man.”

As the teaser progresses, BF encounters a series of crises, including rumors that their cultured meat is full of bacteria and a large-scale ransomware hacking attack.

Yoon Ja Yoo’s subsequent statement, “[The culprit] could be someone within our company,” intensifies the intrigue. Her later contemplation, “Is he a resource I should utilize or someone I should stay away from…” highlights her lingering suspicion of Woo Chae Woon despite relying on him for crucial information, building anticipation for their relationship dynamics and its evolution.

Watch the full teaser below!

“Blood Free” premieres on April 10.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1651289wpp/watch-han-hyo-joo-and-joo-ji-hoon-form-intriguing-alliance-amidst-rising-tension-in-new-blood-free-teaser

Joo Ji-hoon questions Han Hyo-joo’s Blood Free world

by tccolb

A new teaser has been packaged out for Disney+’s upcoming sci-fi thriller Blood Free, revealing a world where our heroine Han Hyo-joo (Moving) is both lauded and scorned as a forerunner in the synthetic meat market.

Opening on Yoon Ja-yoo’s (Han Hyo-joo) presentation, our CEO of biotech company BF (a.k.a. Blood Free) is proud to announce their achievements in making foods that drip blood a relic of the past. Despite being accosted by protesters, the astute Ja-yoo remains calm, explaining that she anticipated the backlash when she first started her research and understands that the technology disrupted primary industries.

We then meet our saluting hero Joo Ji-hoon (Jirisan), who is ordered by a powerful Jeon Gook-hwan (The First Responders) to infiltrate BF by becoming a bodyguard and right-hand man. Woo Chae-woon (Joo Ji-hoon) asks, “Does your next target have to be BF,” and the teaser later explains that there’s something inside the company that Chae-woon needs to find.

As an ex-marine, Woo Chae-woon is a shoe-in for the job. But even the battle-experienced Chae-woon is shocked when a body drops on Ja-yoo’s car in the middle of busy traffic. While BF’s planning director Park Ji-yeon (A Model Family) checks on Ja-yoo, the team assesses that it’s an opportune time to hire a special bodyguard.

Once officially on the clock, Chae-woon warns Ja-yoo to keep away from windows with clear views and we learn that Ja-yoo has been receiving death threats from many invested parties. At this point, though, it’s war on all fronts as BF is hit with a media scandal purporting that their cultured meat is a bacteria cesspool.

Research team lead Jeon Suk-ho’s (Moving) panic continues when the company’s computer system is hacked by a group claiming to be Citizen X. Chae-woon deduces that it’s a copycat and not the real deal. But because BF’s co-founder Lee Moo-saeng (Hide) can never play a plain old good guy, a suspicious Ja-yoo realizes that, “It could be someone in our company.”

Incidentally, Prime Minister Lee Hee-joon (A Killer Paradox) is another who often plays evil (very well). But though he taunts our heroine about the bacteria rumors, Ja-yoo refuses to kowtow to his threats. As the sequence continues, we read in the text screens that, “The food chain that subordinated humankind is broken. Will the humans that dream of a perfect life dominate or will they be dominated?”

We’re then left with more questions as the trailer comes to a close, with Ja-yoo wondering if she can trust Chae-woon or if it’s wiser to keep a distance. All the while, our hero worries about the predator person standing behind all these events and we end on Chae-woon’s unfinished train of thought: “If taking humans out of the food chain was the first goal, the second is…”

Directed by PD Park Chul-hwan (Grid) with scripts by Lee Soo-yeon (Grid, Forest of Secrets), Disney+’s Blood Free is slated to premiere on April 10.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/03/joo-ji-hoon-questions-han-hyo-joos-blood-free-world/

• Like 1

Han Hyo Joo And Joo Ji Hoon's Upcoming Drama

Han Hyo Joo And Joo Ji Hoon's Upcoming Drama "Blood Free" Unveils Main Poster

Upcoming drama “Blood Free” has revealed its main poster!

“Blood Free” is a suspense thriller about Yoon Ja Yoo (Han Hyo Joo), the CEO of the genetic engineering enterprise BF that opens a new era of artificially cultured meat in 2025, and Woo Chae Woon (Joo Ji Hoon), a retired officer-turned-guard who deliberately approaches her, as they get swept up in a series of incidents and a mysterious death.

The newly released poster captures the main characters of “Blood Free” and the massive threat surrounding them in a pyramid shape. Woo Chae Woon, who intentionally approaches Yoon Ja Yoo in order to track down the mastermind behind the terrorist incident that changed his life, stands in front of the pyramid with an intense gaze that reflects his inability to trust anyone.

At the top of the pyramid is Yoon Ja Yoo, the CEO of BF, the world’s largest biotech company. The poster also features the employees of BF, including On San (Lee Moo Saeng), Kim Shin Gu (Kim Sang Ho), Seo Hee (Jeon Suk Ho), Jung Hae Deun (Park Ji Yeon), and Hong Ip Sae (Lee Seo), as well as prime minister Sun Woo Jae (Lee Hee Joon), who is hiding his secret desires.

Hinting at the unpredictable events about to unfold, the poster’s caption reads, “The one who changed the world becomes everyone’s target.”

blood-free-1_07b097.jpg

“Blood Free” premieres on April 10.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1651755wpp/han-hyo-joo-and-joo-ji-hoons-upcoming-drama-blood-free-unveils-main-poster

News bites: March 28, 2024

by tccolb

5e2501ff-0ca6-4a98-90ee-55fc6058e45e.jpg

A new group poster has been charted for Disney+’s Blood Free, showcasing leads, Joo Ji-hoon (Jirisan), Han Hyo-joo (Moving), Lee Hee-joon (A Killer Paradox) , and Lee Moo-saeng (Hide). With scripts by the acclaimed Lee Soo-yeon (Grid, Forest of Secrets) and PD Park Chul-hwan (Grid) directing, the sci-fi thriller is now just two weeks away, premiering on April 10. [MBC]

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/03/news-bites-march-28-2024/

News bites: March 30, 2024

by tccolb

1711670438839171.jpg

In the meantime, the promos continue on Disney+ with a new packet of stills for the sci-fi thriller Blood Free. Starring Joo Ji-hoon (Jirisan), Han Hyo-joo (Moving), Lee Hee-joon (A Killer Paradox) , and Lee Moo-saeng (Hide), writer Lee Soo-yeon’s (Grid, Forest of Secrets) newest story begins in less than two weeks on April 10. [Xports News]

1711670457025320.jpg

1711670474197335.jpg

Spoiler

1711670484007630.jpg

1711670492441669.jpg

1711670498169151.jpg

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/03/news-bites-march-30-2024/

by Lily Alice, April 1, 2024
6 3

Disney+ unveiled character posters featuring Ju Ji HoonHan Hyo JooLee Hee Joon, and Lee Moo Saeng for its upcoming original series Blood Free. Character teasers were also released, highlighting Woo Chae Woon (Ju Ji Hoon) and Yoon Ja Yoo (Han Hyo Joo).  

The character poster of Woo Chae Woon portrays him as a resolute individual, a characteristic befitting a former military officer. The text on his poster reads, "A bodyguard is the most dangerous when he turns rogue," piquing curiosity about his secret intentions as he deliberately approaches BF Group's CEO, Yoon Ja Yoo, to chase down the mastermind behind the terrorist attack.

d0AKbe_2f.png

The character poster of Yoon Ja Yoo shows her exuding a strong aura fitting her image as the CEO of the world's leading biotechnology company, BF Group. The text "Don't you want to become the absolute dominant species?" expresses her clear conviction, raising curiosity about her story of creating the groundbreaking technology that revolutionized the meat market.

kAYDQm_2f.png

Next, the character poster of Seon Woo Jae (Lee Hee Joon) portrays him in his relaxed demeanor as the respected and beloved Prime Minister. However, the text "Hold on to me before you shed tears of blood" hints at his hidden desires and immense sense of confidence.

eYEQdQ_2f.png

Lastly, On San (Lee Moo Saeng), Yoon Ja Yoo's friend for 20 years and the head of BF Group's research center, who also co-founded the company, is depicted wearing a white gown. The text "At least we're not doing this for the money" indicates his sincere intentions behind developing BF Group's technology, for which he dedicated his life to research. However, his cold gaze adds to the curiosity about his role amidst the mysterious events surrounding BF Group.

Spoiler

QJmo3A_2f.png

Blood Free will premiere on April 10. It will be available for streaming exclusively on Disney+.

https://mydramalist.com/article/ju-ji-hoon-han-hyo-joo-lee-hee-joon-lee-moo-saeng-exude-mysterious-vibes-in-blood-free-posters

• Like 1

News bites: April 2, 2024

by tccolb

124251848.1.jpg

Starting and ending with Disney+ today, Blood Free released new character posters and teasers of our leads: Joo Ji-hoon (Jirisan), Han Hyo-joo (Moving), Lee Hee-joon (A Killer Paradox), and Lee Moo-saeng (Hide). Premiering on April 10 next week, the sci-fi is helmed by PD Park Chul-hwan (Grid) with scripts penned by Lee Soo-yeon (Grid, Forest of Secrets). [Sports Donga]

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/04/news-bites-april-2-2024/

• Like 1

11 New K-Dramas To Add To Your Watch List In April 2024

Apr 04, 2024
by D Kim

Spring is here with another batch of new K-dramas to tune into!

These are some new K-dramas premiering in April:

“Blood Free”

blood-free.png

Korean Title: “지배종”

Cast: Joo Ji Hoon, Han Hyo Joo, Lee Hee Joon, Lee Moo Saeng, Park Ji Yeon

Premiere Date: April 10

Broadcast Details: Wednesdays on Disney+

“Blood Free” is a suspense thriller about Yoon Ja Yoo (Han Hyo Joo), the CEO of the genetic engineering enterprise BF, and Woo Chae Woon (Joo Ji Hoon), a retired officer-turned-guard who deliberately approaches her, as they get swept up in a series of incidents.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1652796wpp/11-new-k-dramas-to-add-to-your-watch-list-in-april-2024

• Like 1

by Lily Alice, April 8, 2024
11 2

On April 8, a press conference was held for Disney+'s Blood Free, which was attended by Ju Ji HoonHan Hyo JooLee Hee JoonLee Moo Saeng, and director Park Cheol Hwan.

jQ2dLz_2f.png

Blood Free is set in an era where meat is genetically engineered. BF Group is the company leading the genetically engineered meat market. 

BF's CEO, Yoon Ja Yoo (Han Hyo Joo), and Woo Chae Woon (Ju Ji Hoon), a former soldier working as a bodyguard, get entangled in mysterious incidents and pursue the truth behind them.

RBkoKo_2f.png

Han Hyo Joo, who plays the role of BF Group's CEO Yoon Ja Yoo, talked about the reason behind choosing the drama, saying, "When I first read the script, I thought it was a smart theme and a drama perfect for a time like now. So I read the script for parts 1 and 2 in one go. I was so happy that day that I wrote in my diary. It was a script that made my heart race, and made me excited, so much so that I could say, 'A script as good as this has finally found its way to me.'" 

Spoiler

BdmAOb_2f.png

She also shared behind-the-scenes stories of the presentation scene that opens the K-drama. Han Hyo Joo said, "Since it the scene opening the door to the drama, I thought I had to do well, so I watched many TED talks and looked for lectures that could be used as references and practiced a lot. I usually don’t practice well because I like to act with the feeling of going live [acting impromptu on set], but I practiced a lot and memorized all the lines for this scene. Although I could have read from the teleprompter and didn't need to memorize, I wanted to implement it perfectly, so I went to the set after memorizing everything."

Talking about her character, Yoon Ja Yoo, Han Hyo Joo commented, "She is a character who doesn't express emotions to the point where it was unclear whether she is evil or good. ... I even changed my voice tone and things like that, and [while speaking dialogues] I spoke with less volume than I usually do."

Ju Ji Hoon also shared his experiences. During the press conference, it was revealed that the Kingdom actor successfully performed a 17 vs 1 action scene.  

XdgDPO_2f.png

The actor said, "Since it [the drama] is set in the near future, there were some difficult aspects. I thought that to reach the audience [better], it's better to be realistic rather than giving a futuristic feel." He continued, "Instead of flashy action scenes with a lot of effects, we focused on creating actions that felt realistic."

The host, Park Kyung Rim, asked "Don't you have gout?" To this, Ju Ji Hoon chuckled and said, "My uric acid level is a bit high," and expressed, "It's a shame I couldn't show everything [various aspects of my skills], but I had fun filming. I'm satisfied."

Spoiler

RBkolo_2f.png

https://mydramalist.com/article/it-was-a-script-that-made-my-heart-race-blood-free-han-hyo-joo-shares

Premiere Watch: Blood Free

by missvictrix

IE003285128_STD.jpg

Time slot: Wednesdays (2x week)
Broadcaster: Disney+
Genre: Sci-fi, thriller, drama
Episode count: 10

Reasons to watch: Famed writer Lee Soo-yeon’s latest screenplay is here! Following up Forest of Secrets, and most recently Grid, Blood Free is all about the CEO of a synthetic meat company, and what happens (in the rhetorical sense) when the food chain is disturbed. Starring two of my personal favorites — Han Hyo-joo and Joo Ji-hoon — this thriller should not only keep us on the edge of our seats but also ask some important questions. (Also, can we have a bit of romance please?)

TL;DR: Han Hyo-joo is a CEO who’s made synthetic meat, and Joo Ji-hoon is her conflicted bodyguard

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/04/premiere-watch-blood-free/

CT6Z7TOKSU4RKAGQYVMKMRHCTU.jpg

https://biz.chosun.com/entertainment/tv/2024/04/08/B6RUTADPX5L5N7ZIRJZNN637JU/

247254_150916_1132.jpg

https://www.straightnews.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=247254

Eom Hyo-seop, father and son collaboration with Lee Hee-jun in ‘Dominant Servant’… It continues for 10 days

8b548a76-2294-44b8-8d71-bd4147cd4006.jpg

Actor Eom Hyo-seop continues his hard work by appearing as Lee Hee-jun's father in 'Disney+'s original series.

'Dominant Species', which will be released today (10th), is about Yun Yu-Ja (played by Han Hyo-joo), the CEO of BF, a biotechnology company that opened a new era of artificial cultured meat in 2025, and a retired officer who intentionally approached her. It is a suspense thriller drama in which bodyguard Woo Chae-woon (played by Joo Ji-hoon) gets caught up in mysterious deaths and incidents, and pursues the truth behind it.

In the drama, Eom Hyo-seop plays the role of Seon Woo-geun, the father and rival of Seon Woo-jae (played by Lee Hee-jun) and the chairman of Dawson Group, the number one business in Korea. Together with his son Seonwoo-jae, he shows his ambition to become the world's largest biotechnology company, BF, and will stop at nothing.

Eom Hyo-seop, who has solidified his position as a luxury actor by showing his unrivaled presence in each work regardless of genre, including 'Three Works, The Bewitched', 'Vegetable Park's Contract Marriage', 'Happiness Battle', and 'Agency', plays 'Dominant Jong'. Expectations are rising for the new look that will be presented through '.

Meanwhile, Disney+'s original series 'Dominant Species' starring Eom Hyo-seop will be released twice every Wednesday starting today (10th).

by lo_ve, April 10, 2024

Uhm Hyo Sub is officially joining the highly anticipated Disney+ K-drama Blood Free

On April 10, it was officially confirmed that Uhm Hyo Sub would join the cast of the thriller sci-fi K-drama Blood FreeHe will be the chairman of the rival company of the BF Group. 

This will be the second K-drama of Uhm Hyo Sub for the year. 

Uhm Hyo Sub was also part of the recently ended K-drama Captivating the King wherein he worked alongside Jo Jung Suk, Shin Sae Kyeong, Lee Shin Young, Park Ye Young, Jo Sung Ha, and Choi Dae Hoon

Last year, the actor was also busy in several K-dramas. He appeared in the K-dramas Agency, Battle for Happiness, Celebrity, and The Story of Park's Marriage Contract

Uhm Hyo Sub has shown off his solid acting skills across genres by starring in the K-dramas All of Us Are Dead, The King of Tears, Lee Bang Won, Jirisan, Youth of May, Start-Up, Tale of the Nine-Tailed, Doctors, and more. 

pdjpEb_2f.jpg

Blood Free will premiere today and will exclusively air on Disney+ and Hulu.

The upcoming K-drama will showcase the happenings in a biotech company called BF which started the artificial cultured meat. The series will revolve around a retired military officer turned bodyguard who intentionally approached the founder and the two will get caught up in mysterious deaths and incidents. 

Ju Ji Hoon, Han Hyo Joo, Lee Hee Joon, Lee Moo Saeng, Kim Sang Ho, Park Ji Yeon, Jun Suk Ho, and Jo Bok Rae will lead the K-drama. 

In the series, Uhm Hyo Sub will portray the role of Sun Woo Geun. He is the father of Lee Hee Joon's character Sun Woo Jae. He is also the chairman of the Dawson Group, the rival of the BF Group. He will work together with his son with the same ambition of surpassing the world's largest biotechnology company. It is the latest work of screenwriter Lee Soo Yeon (Stranger, Grid, and Life).

Blood Free will release two episodes every Wednesday starting from April 10.

https://mydramalist.com/article/uhm-hyo-sub-confirmed-to-join-ju-ji-hoon-and-han-hyo-joo-in-blood-free

• larus changed the title to [Current Drama 2024] Blood Free/Dominant Species/지배종 - Joo Ji Hoon & Han Hyo Joo -Wednesday

Blood Free: Episodes 1-2

by solstices

In a future where synthetic meat has taken over the global market, a sudden onslaught of consecutive crises threatens the company at the center of it all. Behind our heroine’s groundbreaking technology lies innumerable secrets, and we’re only beginning to scratch the surface.

EPISODES 1-2

Once again, writer Lee Soo-yeon isn’t pulling any punches with her social commentary, and I am all in for it. Right off the bat, the premiere episode opens with viscerally graphic AR projections of animals being hunted, trussed up, and brutally butchered for their meat. It’s shock advertising for a product presentation, and chairwoman YOON JA-YOO (Han Hyo-joo) steps out to laud the achievements of her biotech company BF — which stands for “Blood Free.”

Not only have they successfully cultivated lab-grown synthetic meat and fur, but they also — quite literally — have bigger fish to fry. Serving up cultured seafood to the guests in attendance, Ja-yoo proclaims that BF’s operations will expand to grain and crops in a mere six month’s time.

Amidst the audience, WOO CHAE-WOON (Joo Ji-hoon) listens attentively to Ja-yoo’s speech, only for the popping of champagne bottles to briefly spur a traumatic flashback. In Chae-woon’s memory, an explosion goes off, and he helps Ja-yoo to her feet amidst the rubble and the bloodied bodies of his fellow soldiers.

After the event, Ja-yoo leaves through a crowd of aggrieved protestors and fervent supporters. As her car comes to a halt in a traffic jam, Ja-yoo gazes wistfully at a family enjoying the Christmas cheer. Then a man falls off an overpass and crashes onto her car. Chae-woon, who’d also been leaving the venue, rushes to Ja-yoo’s aid alongside the BF personnel — and amidst the crowd, a man with a ragged scar on his cheek watches them ominously.

Thankfully, Ja-yoo emerges from the incident mostly unscathed save for a neck brace. Chae-woon’s timely arrival and efficient response has piqued her curiosity — especially since he rings a bell with her closest aide, BF’s general manager JUNG HAE-DEUN (Park Ji-yeon), though she can’t quite place where she’s seen him before.

As it turns out, Chae-woon’s convenient proximity to Ja-yoo is far from a coincidence. The former president LEE MOON-KYU (Jeon Guk-hwan) had sent him a VIP invitation, and their ties can be traced back to that traumatic explosion. Back in the post-war landscape of January 2024, Moon-kyu had spontaneously decided to pay a visit to dispatched troops, alongside several businessmen and congressmen.

Within seven hours since Moon-kyu decided on the visit, and a mere half hour since their plane landed, the explosions had gone off. Both the ministers had died, leaving the four remaining survivors as suspects — and Ja-yoo had been part of his entourage.

Moon-kyu is deeply suspicious of Ja-yoo, who’d requested him to abolish the law requiring cultured meat to be labeled as genetically-modified food. She’d gotten her wish — after Moon-kyu had lost his legs in the explosion and stepped down from office, that is. Needless to say, Moon-kyu has a vendetta against Ja-yoo, and unbeknownst to Chae-woon, he seems to be covertly plotting with the current prime minister SEONU JAE (Lee Hee-joon).

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/04/blood-free-episodes-1-2/

• Like 1

Meanwhile, as of April 18, Blood Free has been spotted on Disney+'s Top 10 lists in Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, and Taiwan (data from FlixPatrol).  

Blood Free is a suspense thriller set in the near future where meat is genetically engineered. BF Group is the company leading the genetically engineered meat market.  

Given BF Group's drastic impact on the primary sector, the company and its CEO, Yoon Ja Yoo (Han Hyo Joo), are exposed to public backlash and physical attacks. 

To make matters worse, BF Group unexpectedly gets entangled in mysterious incidents, and Yoon Ja Yoo finds her safety jeopardized. In order to protect herself, the CEO hires Woo Chae Woon (Ju Ji Hoon) as her bodyguard.

Woo Chae Woon is a soldier turned bodyguard who intentionally approaches Yoon Ja Yoo to uncover the truth behind an incident from the past that changed his life. 

QJXdR7_2f.png

When and where to watch the K-drama Blood Free?

Episodes 5 and 6 of Blood Free will air on April 24 (Wednesday). The K-drama is available to stream on Disney+.

https://mydramalist.com/article/parasyte-the-grey-remains-no-1-on-netflix-blood-free-trends-on-disney

Blood Free: Episodes 3-4

by solstices

Figuring out the identity of the ransomware mastermind, our heroine launches an international pursuit against the betrayer. In the process, her dark past is brought to the surface, revealing an ulterior motive that runs far deeper than any of the rumors about her company’s true nature.

EPISODES 3-4

In a bid to narrow down the culprit, Ja-yoo has Hui illegally access the flight ticket purchases, money transfers, and location data of all BF employees. It’s chilling how easily she’s able to access such sensitive information, simply by virtue of being their boss with an advanced AI system. It turns out Shin-gu has a scheduled flight to visit his family, and he’d been the only employee in Sae-ip’s vicinity, right up till ten minutes prior to her crash.

Rewinding to the previous day, we see Shin-gu exclaiming with joy upon learning of Ja-yoo’s ransom payment. He’s counted his chickens before they’ve hatched, though, because Sae-ip overhears him through the door, having come by to deliver his belongings. Terrified that his perfect crime will go up in smoke, Shin-gu orchestrates Sae-ip’s accident to seal her lips.

In a bid to narrow down the culprit, Ja-yoo has Hui illegally access the flight ticket purchases, money transfers, and location data of all BF employees. It’s chilling how easily she’s able to access such sensitive information, simply by virtue of being their boss with an advanced AI system. It turns out Shin-gu has a scheduled flight to visit his family, and he’d been the only employee in Sae-ip’s vicinity, right up till ten minutes prior to her crash.

Rewinding to the previous day, we see Shin-gu exclaiming with joy upon learning of Ja-yoo’s ransom payment. He’s counted his chickens before they’ve hatched, though, because Sae-ip overhears him through the door, having come by to deliver his belongings. Terrified that his perfect crime will go up in smoke, Shin-gu orchestrates Sae-ip’s accident to seal her lips.

While in the car with Hui, Ja-yoo receives a request from Jae to meet up, only for him to leave the house right as she arrives. There’s been a large-scale police armory raid, necessitating his presence. As Ja-yoo leaves, road construction forces her car to make a detour — right into an ambush. A shootout in the woods ensues, and though Chae-woon and newbie Ho-seung are equipped with firearms that Hae-deun procured, they’re still outnumbered.

As they take cover, the gunshots trigger Ja-yoo’s traumatic flashbacks of the bombing, and her convulsing uncontrollably in a hospital bed. “Isn’t this better? You might as well die quickly with a single shot, then succumb to the hole in your head,” Ja-yoo’s inner voice taunts, temptingly.

Clocking her distress, Chae-woon reassures her that he’ll protect her, right by her side. Then just as a grenade lands beside them, Chae-woon stands up, taking a shot to the chest, and hurls the grenade right back at their attackers.

more

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/04/blood-free-episodes-3-4/

Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching (April 20, 2024)

by DB Staff

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

javabeans

Blood Free: I’m intrigued by the everybody-is-a-suspect setup and the slight sci-fi bent, though so far it’s a bit of a dry and detached watch for me. The plot reminds me of Okja, but tonally it’s completely on the other end of the seriousness spectrum and while I expect this to be engaging as a cerebral form of entertainment, I find myself wishing there were more personality or style. Or something to grasp onto — it’s a bit cold for my taste. A matter of personal preference, I’m sure. I interpret Han Hyo-joo’s portrayal as intentionally off-putting, but even if it’s the point her aloof and calculating nature keeps me at arm’s length and I prefer to care about my characters. Will keep watching, but hoping the intrigue ramps up soon.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/04/team-dramabeans-what-were-watching-april-20-2024/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Blood Free: Episodes 7-8

by solstices

bfree78_0.jpg

A tragic death sets off a butterfly effect of rapidly unfurling consequences, shedding light on concealed alliances and duplicitous machinations. Undefeated, our protagonists strike back with their arsenal of high-tech resources — but at what point does self-preservation cross the line?

EPISODES 7-8

While Chae-woon is mistakenly apprehended for Ho-seung’s stabbing, Sang-min beats a hasty retreat. Incinerating his car in a gasoline-fuelled explosion, Sang-min evades detection by peeling off his fake scar (!!!) and donning a woman’s disguise. Rather than a vested personal interest, Sang-min’s methodical preparation seems to suggest the expertise of a hired professional.

Now that the spotlight has fallen on Sang-min’s crimes, his co-conspirators are starting to feel the heat. The identity of the mole within BF is revealed, and it’s Hae-deun — not only had she directed Shin-gu to the welfare center for Sang-min to lead astray, but she’d also leaked Chae-woon and Ho-seung’s trip to the welfare center. Now, she reports the current situation to Geun. Despite her double-crossing, though, Hae-deun still has a shred of conscience left; she can’t entirely brush off the guilt of being complicit in her colleague’s death, however unintentional.

Meanwhile, our BF-enhanced bodyguard finds himself in a bit of a pickle. In his haste to chase Sang-min down, Chae-woon accidentally snapped his handcuffs and flung a police officer off him with his bare hands, thanks to the synthetic tissue inside him. He’s detained for assault, while the officers scratch their heads over his show of superhuman strength.

Putting on a high-tech pair of glasses, Ja-yoo transmits real-time footage of the police’s crime scene evidence to San. With the help of BF’s AI, San analyzes Sang-min’s face from CCTV videos, creating a disconcertingly accurate profile and swiftly linking him to the vehicle arson. San’s methods are far more efficient than the police, though this also begs the question — would law enforcement benefit from such technology, or would its precision inevitably lead to a panopticon level of surveillance and control?

Jae is determined to poke his nose into BF’s business, and he pulls strings to get Chae-woon out of detention and into his office. Insinuating that BF has modified Chae-woon into an android, Jae attempts to get a rise out of him, but Chae-woon turns the topic around. Jae’s interest in BF’s technology could easily drive him to drastic measures — say, bombing the former president so he can no longer pose a threat to BF with his opposition? Or perhaps it was ordered by someone even higher up, such as Geun?

Infuriated by the accusations, Jae incites a fight, except it ends with a waterfall of a bloody nose for him — it turns out he has hemophilia. As Jae nurses his injury (and wounded pride), Ja-yoo arrives, commencing a second confrontation after Chae-woon exits. When Ja-yoo calmly confirms the success of BF’s cultured organs, Jae brazenly urges Ja-yoo to share it with him, a hint of desperation creeping into his voice.

In contrast to Ja-yoo, who wants the revision of the bioethics law so that she can commercialize cultured organs for the masses, Jae desires to keep the technology exclusive. Only those in the upper echelons deserve to live forever; otherwise, it would simply be prolonging the pain of the poor. Calling out Jae’s elitism, Ja-yoo points out he’d merely be a mutation if he achieves immortality alone.

While our knee-jerk response may be to side with Ja-yoo, Jae’s stance isn’t entirely without reason (aside from his selfish greed, of course). Some problems such as socioeconomic inequality may be alleviated through improved policy and infrastructure, but resource scarcity will still pose an issue, not to mention the potential market monopoly that would mirror BF’s existing grip on the meat industry. Agricultural livelihoods have already been pushed out of the market — are healthcare jobs next? Synthetic immortality may greatly benefit the health of the populace, but it will also bring harm in other ways.

With neither side willing to back down from their conflict of ideals, Jae outright threatens Ja-yoo with a search and seizure of BF — he’ll dissect Chae-woon himself if he has to. “Ja-yoo, you are someone I cherish,” Jae implores, to which Ja-yoo responds with a scornful laugh in his face. Through his paper-thin facade of offering his help for her to cling onto, his scheming against her is clear as day.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/05/blood-free-episodes-7-8/