Long distance is rough. Should I keep fighting?

rgriffin30

First things first, long distance relationships SUCK. I’ve been together with my gf for a year before she moved away to another country forever. Apparently, she believes that she has a better future there than here. The thing is, our relationship hit rock bottom after she flew away. I’ve tried everything from facetiming her everyday, booking tickets and visiting her, and even sending her gifts for the past two years but we always end up fighting for a small reason.

I’ve even asked for advice from my friends who are also in an LDR and even my brother who met his gf through an international dating social event. Even if he and his gf are strangers when they met, they still have a stable and functioning relationship than mine. Is it just me? Or is this the sign I needed to let our relationship come to an end? Should I keep fighting for this?

15 hours ago, rgriffin30 said:

First things first, long distance relationships SUCK. I’ve been together with my gf for a year before she moved away to another country forever. Apparently, she believes that she has a better future there than here. The thing is, our relationship hit rock bottom after she flew away. I’ve tried everything from facetiming her everyday, booking tickets and visiting her, and even sending her gifts for the past two years but we always end up fighting for a small reason.

I’ve even asked for advice from my friends who are also in an LDR and even my brother who met his gf through an international dating social event. Even if he and his gf are strangers when they met, they still have a stable and functioning relationship than mine. Is it just me? Or is this the sign I needed to let our relationship come to an end? Should I keep fighting for this?

Keep fighting if you have the Will, but eventually if you don't fix it then a break up will happen. Tell her and talk to each other if you want to continue the relationship or stay. Sometimes when couple fight too much, it eventually leads to break up and pretty much the relationship is coming to an end. I personally would talk to the person and go from there. Did you even express how you feel to her? 

On 20-4-2018 at 2:24 AM, rgriffin30 said:

Any relationship is a lot of hard work. With LDR's, it's even more so. You don't just need to combat day-to-day struggles, you also need to fight not being able to see each other or cuddle when you need it, not speaking to each other for long periods of time, etc. The physical bond is not there and has to be replaced with a virual one. And that often just doesn't cut it.

Some people are able to do all that hard work and have a thriving relationship, others simply don't want to put in the effort, or feel that they are when they're not.

It seems to me that at least one is not putting in all the effort to make this thing work. You keep fighting whenever you do get the chance to be together. When you fight about something small, there's usually a bigger problem behind that, staring you in the face but you're too afraid to touch the subject or simply blind to it.

Talk about your problems with her. And be rational about it. If she's not moving back and you're not moving there, is this really a situation you can live with for the rest of your life? Be honest with you and with her. You both deserve it.

• 4 weeks later...

LDRs are hard. However, the key to maintaining a LDR is communication. Lack of communication can lead to arguments, misunderstandings, and trust issues. I agree with what @CamelKnight stated, because the physical contact is missing, you have to replace it with virtual emotions. If you like her that much and can see a future with her, don’t give up! Try to work things out. If you can’t see yourself marrying her, you’re just wasting your time.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived