Wearing A Dress Over Pants

melkimx

ok i just posted this in the cute ugly tacky trashy thread and then i realized it doesn't really belong there b/c i'm not asking if anything is cute ugly tacky or trashy. my question is, how do you layer a dress over jeans? what exactly do you look for when you do it... like what type of dress and what type of jeans? and then can you layer anything over the dress, like a jacket or cardigan, or is that overkill?

i just bought a cotton dress that's really thin and flimsy... i thought it was cute, but i would not want to wear it as is because you could pretty much see the outline of the legs right through it. it's pretty darn short, and i'd think you could wear jeans under it, but i'm not sure.

if you have suggestions or pictures... that'd be great. thanks!

Guest beautylicious87

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

yeah i just bought a cottoney thin dress as well which is pretty short as well......

the way i wear it is wear shorts or capris or burmuda shorts or jeans or black pants under it and then i wear the dress over it and add a big belt .....

it looks pretty cute

For a dress like that, maybe some sort of leggings will do, or the skinny jeans like someone mentioned above.

I see girls wearing mini skirts over their skinny jeans and those look really cute.

Guest rain_sadtango

leggings/tights would definately look better underneath a dress than jeans do, unless the jeans are reallly skinny and the denim is not too thick. I lovee wearing dresses with tights, its also good for colder weather.

and mini skirts over skinny jeans is..weird. i don't think i've seen it worn like that before.

dress must be above your knees...or else you'l look shorter...and i think any type of jeans will do. heel's would look cute too. :D

if it's a spaghetti strap dress, you could probably wear a thin sweater over it. it'd still look cute. : )

It depends on the dress I think.

I wear them like this.

(the reason why I wore this with jeans is because the back also has the same slit and I can't imagine wearing it as a dress although I'm sure people do)

2.jpg

(I don't think this looks good with anything else so...)

.jpg

(black bubble hem tube dress. Dress too plain by itself so....)

[pg

(Too baggy to wear by itself and looks like a children's dress if I don't wear it with jeans)

.jpg

(Again, too baggy to wear by itself and it also looks like a children's dress if I wear it as a dress alone)

[pg

Jeans/pants should always be slimming with dress though. Don't wear them with baggy pants/jeans. Choose the right jeans/pants to wear with it is a big key too. The dress shouldn't be skin tight or too fitted either. It also shouldn't be too long of a dress. Only if the dress look a little odd by itself then you should try it out with jeans or slacks or etc. If it looks fine by itself, then most likely you should leave it that way. Don't over-do it.

Do you have a picture of your dress?

I'd find a short dress (above the knee) that has an uneven hem (well just because I think that'd look nicer) and isn't too poofy, preferably made of light/thin material. same with the jeans, not too thick or 'heavy'.. skinny/straight/bootcut would look best

I think it'd be easier to tell you what to wear with it if you posted a pic (:

However, I think wearing dresses over pants is fine!

I tend to think that capris/shorts look better with them though...well actually that depends on the straps + neckline..

Post a pic!

Izam's 2nd one with black dress looks really nice.

it's crucial that the person must NOT be plump for it to look nice... imo.

some may argue that the dress kinda blocks the possible fat hips. but not to forget by wearing another layer over the pants, you are actually adding on the volume. =X

it's crucial that the person must NOT be plump for it to look nice... imo.

some may argue that the dress kinda blocks the possible fat hips. but not to forget by wearing another layer over the pants, you are actually adding on the volume. =X

I agreeee. This dress over pants style looks best on the skinny girls :(

Guest spicyspaghetti6

^ lol the imagery of a plump girl wearing this is kind of funny :lol:. not to be mean or anything.

i personally don't like the dress over pants thing.

Guest love.is.red

i think short or sheer dresses look great over leggings or skinny dark jeans. you have to be careful with the dress over the pants thing though. hard to pull off. just try different things and see how you like it.

Archived