Have you ever been called a koreaboo before?

caramelchica

I feel like the word gets thrown around nowadays, I dont even use the world myself. I thought the orginal definition was someone that wanted to be korean as in not getting citizenship but as in looking asian while confirming 100% into korean culture and abandoning their own. I have been called that for just wanting to go there because of my age. I guess they assumed that because of other people in my age range? They told me that it was a phase and that I was just some mindless teenager. My like for korean culture goes beyond what the media shows I like the traditional history/clothes, I like the food, the language and the history behind it etc. I also love being black and my culture/history, I wouldn't trade my race and culture for anything. So I technically wouldn't be what the definition is? What's ironic is that the people who called me that had a similar interest in korea as well. I feel that alot of people who use the word 'koreaboo' are just afraid to be called one to fit in, like conformist almost. I also have nothing against people who conform into korean culture, or want to be a kpop star(even though they probably won't since they are non asian) as long as it isn't harmful to others. I feel like that's their life and I have no right to tell them how to live it. 

3 hours ago, caramelchica said:

I feel like the word gets thrown around nowadays, I dont even use the world myself. I thought the orginal definition was someone that wanted to be korean as in not getting citizenship but as in looking asian while confirming 100% into korean culture and abandoning their own. I have been called that for just wanting to go there because of my age. I guess they assumed that because of other people in my age range? They told me that it was a phase and that I was just some mindless teenager. My like for korean culture goes beyond what the media shows I like the traditional history/clothes, I like the food, the language and the history behind it etc. I also love being black and my culture/history, I wouldn't trade my race and culture for anything. So I technically wouldn't be what the definition is? What's ironic is that the people who called me that had a similar interest in korea as well. I feel that alot of people who use the word 'koreaboo' are just afraid to be called one to fit in, like conformist almost. I also have nothing against people who conform into korean culture, or want to be a kpop star(even though they probably won't since they are non asian) as long as it isn't harmful to others. I feel like that's their life and I have no right to tell them how to live it. 

The original "definition" is whatever the website says it is. Your definition is extreme and extremely detailed and narrow. It has too many attitudes and ideas in it.

I just think they're weaboo. The idea behind weaboo is that it's something undesirable. If you look at the history of weaboo, you'll see that it does not come from simply having something to do with Japanese. The ideas and attitudes are essentially the same, but people who are obsessed with Japanese stuff got the label through lots of circumstances.

I guess in the most shallow sense. Koreaboo is a website. If you look at the origin of the word, it's just promotion by the website. It's not an actual thing. Weeaboo was a substitution for Wapanese on 4chan. Anything could have been used as a substitute but It happened to be funny enough to the admins. The word itself doesn't mean anything specifically.

Archived