Opinion: The Fetishization of the K-Pop Boy Band

Any K-pop fan’s instinctive reaction to the idea of fetishization is that it is something that other fans do, or that other groups indulge in. But whatever group you are a fan of, you can bet there is a hater or an anti-fan somewhere who thinks your favorite group is morally corrupt fetishizers, while theirs […]

The post Opinion: The Fetishization of the K-Pop Boy Band appeared first on Soompi.

View the full article

Well done for the article ^^
One thing I've never understood is why when girl groups wears sexy outfits, they're considered as b**ches but when boy groups removes their shirts, it's totally fine.

But don't forget that most of the Kpop fans are teenage girls who dream of marrying their biases, when probably 100% of it will never happen. But because of that, we get sasaeng fans.

Personally, I listen to Kpop because of music. I do have favorite idol groups but I don't care about their personal lives, who they're dating, where do they live and whatever. I just care about their music. Sometimes I don't even look at the music video.

huh? Is the word "fetishization" used like this these days? It feels like it's being used way to lightly here, almost like it would substitute "sexualization" (the more appropriate word in this context?).

Even if you would use "fetish" lightly, meaning something you are worshiping or obsessing over, fans rarely would obsess over any of these particular concepts in itself. If they did, it would mean they moved from one group to another depending on who has the right concept going at the time. I have yet to hear of such fans.

The fetishization would be that of the idols themselves. The rest is, at worst, purely sexualized content, rather than artistic. (One could argue that an idol, or artist, on stage, regardless of his outfit or choreography, can and will be seen as "sexualized" by people who feel a need to see them as such).

With that said, while I agree that no idol group is free from selling fantasies to fans, it's no wonder a person could point fingers at girl groups playing with phallic objects while letting the innocent angel boys off the hook. Female (aggressive) sexuality is still highly controversial in many parts of the world and within our societies.

No doubt is it frustrating for fan boys to be viewed as pervy just for liking a particular girl group that happens to get heavily sexualized concepts over and over again, but the problem isn't really fan girls with double standards, who get away with squealing over beastly men in school uniforms (if you could call being seen as immature and hysterical "getting away with it"). The problem is girls not having access to all aspects of their sexuality.

At the end of the day, it will take a long time until an Up & Down type of concept is seen as "the same" as guys in vampire-ish outfits half threatening, half promising, to suck on innocent girl necks. Until that day, I'm afraid the type of sexualized females Kpop is filled with these days, will be seen as the less moral.

quoting the article: " — at times it seems the Internet is made up almost entirely of K-pop boy band fans and anti-fans, with all parties accusing one another’s biases of cheap, fetish-ridden marketing stunts."

:blink: Glad I'm not around that side of the internet.

I admit I can't deal with 99% of the K-pop stuff I've seen, fetishisized or not. I do love Korean alternative/indie music though!

I love looking at these gorgeous boys - love the choreography, the fantasy MVs, the vampires/bad boys/demons on stage. I also think it's fun to see the girls vamp it up :D This is SEXY - so now anything sexy is considered a fetish? I think not.
You are right - KPop recaptures the era of Elvis & the Beatles, & MoTown - why I like it in fact. But really - let's keep the pretty on stage without feeling guilty about it!

Interesting take. The stylings of k-pop groups (male and female) can be so varied in terms of a particular song and performance, but all strategic in terms of concept and marketing. Catering to a specific fetish in order to gain a following, however, comes off as more subliminal than the more overt sexual content.

Guest Grimm Tidings

So much underhanded sexism in this article. The author attempts to not look like a hypocrite by admitting the fetishization of females and the grossness of male fans, but the aim of the article is to point out the problems of female fans and the fetishization of males. No no no.

This article joins a long list of media commentary that normalizes the fetishization of women compared to men and shames female fans more than male ones. Look at the way media treats male sports fans - they paint their faces, scream and cause riots if their team wins or loses, but media just calls them 'enthusiastic'. But girls who scream at their faves and engage in fan wars are labelled as 'crazy' and 'problematic'.

This article would have not been a problem if it was called 'The Fetishization of the KPop Band', but no, the author joined in on the sexist media practice of shaming girls with their male fetishization as the bigger problem. No. Fetishization of women is ignored in real life to the point that women are constantly under threat of abuse and even death from men that feel entitled or even rejected, but media commentary keeps writing terrible articles like this that show girls are the real problem.

Yes, fetishization of both men and women is a problem. But this article puts too much emphasis of one over the other and it's made me disgusted with this site.

Hmm this article had some valid points but I tend to disagree with some of what was said. And like another commenter mentioned...I feel like you're focusing more on the sexualization of groups rather than actual "fetishes". I feel like some of these shouldn't actually be called actual "fetishes" and that some of these examples are kind of a reach. Like VIxx's LR for homoeroticism....I mean yes, some fans may see the concept that way but the interaction between those members had a much deeper and symbolic meaning. Just because their actions can be interpreted has homoerotic doesn't mean you can claim they were performing 'fanservice' for the crowd when they really weren't. I do agree about the ageplay though, that one is a very disturbing fetish commonly seen.

Guest Abby Jenson

I respect that the writer is entitled to his opinion, but I disagree with him on various points. Sure, there's some groups or concepts that are intentionally made with suggestive innuendos, but I think it depends on the age group that perceives the group. I mean, young, super young KPop fans might get the wrong impression and see certain groups as "non-human" or "perfect beings" etc., but I think the older fans are able to distinguish this. I think it's a maturity thing. Also, once you get to know the groups really well and the more you learn about them, you learn their fears, weaknesses, strengths, etc, and those things itself helps you see them as human. I feel like he exaggerated on some parts, especially the school uniform part. The thing is, these are CONCEPTS, and most of the fans who listen are around the same age group. :/

Guest infinityyy

I've read so many words with "fetish" in them in this article that I'm starting to lose track of how you're even trying to define fetishization now.

Interesting read and a take on kpop I haven't looked too much into. It seems like your main irritation with these fetishized kpop concepts is that "some talent agency executive in an office somewhere conceived this fetishistic notion and told them..."?? But it's people like you who enjoy these fetishes and indulge in them that allow these fetishes to flourish and exist? So I don't see your whole "being wary of fetishization" while admitting that you, too, receive pleasure from it. By liking it and watching it, you're contributing to the success of it. It seems like you're mad at good marketing for finding out your desires and profiting off of it???

Guest Punch-Drunk-SHINee

I like this article. As a big fan of Korean boy and acts, here is my take: many people who consider themselves 'true' fans of their idols really enjoy the idea that they are real people with more to them than is seen by a casual observer. Fandoms love seeing more personal sides of their groups, made possible by social media. The moments of silliness and weakness are embraced and fans want them to know its ok so show their personalities and flaws. I do not do this, but people who say other Fandoms fetishizes their idols too much are probably just mudslinging that they think the admiration is not genuine, whereas they "care about the real ____". THAT SAID: idols are idols for a reason. If I were to see a photoshop or MV of my boys and they didn't look cool or sexy or cute or whatever the theme is... I would seriously question the production team responsible i.e. "Is there a job opening?" :P

Guest Punch-Drunk-SHINee

I like this article. As a big fan of Korean boy and acts, here is my take: many people who consider themselves 'true' fans of their idols really enjoy the idea that they are real people with more to them than is seen by a casual observer. Fandoms love seeing more personal sides of their groups, made possible by social media. The moments of silliness and weakness are embraced and fans want them to know its ok so show their personalities and flaws. I do not do this, but people who say other Fandoms fetishizes their idols too much are probably just mudslinging that they think the admiration is not genuine, whereas they "care about the real ____". THAT SAID: idols are idols for a reason. If I were to see a photoshop or MV of my boys and they didn't look cool or sexy or cute or whatever the theme is... I would seriously question the production team responsible i.e. "Is there a job opening?" :P

Typos... Sent via phone >_>

Guest Punch-Drunk-SHINee

Interesting take. The stylings of k-pop groups (male and female) can be so varied in terms of a particular song and performance, but all strategic in terms of concept and marketing. Catering to a specific fetish in order to gain a following, however, comes off as more subliminal than the more overt sexual content.

Interesting comment. One thing I think is funny is that personally I can't find Koop boys all that sexual, despite being a straight fan. It's like they're just too pretty, and that's OK. It makes the visual styles interesting and fun to look at

hmm, I feel like this article contradicts itself so I'm not really sure what it's trying to say.

Summary of article: All kpop groups pander/objectify/whatever. It's wrong, they shouldn't do it, but fans like it, but they shouldn't, so don't criticize other groups. Is that the basic gist?

Archived