Overprotective mom and Alcohol

Crunchyrunchy

I recently told my mom that I like to drink alcohol for social reasons. (I have to see a family relatively and they are pretty boring so I want alcohol to be more social around her). Anyways, she seemed to disapprove of me drinking alcohol. While it may be reasonable to not drink on the nights that I and driving, she even show disapproval on the nights that I drink when I DON'T have to drive.

I told her to I usually drink to the point of getting buzz occasionally. There should be no health concerns from that right? She is really pissing me off, since she is not defending her stance with some solid scientific reasons. I been reading up that alcohol is not harmful under moderation.

Dude, I'm almost twenty-two, and I always have to tell my dad where I am going even though I know I am not going to do anything bad. My dad's overprotective. Your mother is just trying to tell you right from wrong. And she has every right to do do because she's your mother. She's just worried. And let's just say, as a woman, it's a mother instinct.

Don't get angry cuz parents will always have things they can lecture about and say even if it's good or bad. And we know parents always nag at us because they want us to do better. Definitely agreed with @zantac_2

Guest HERMIT

Overprotective parents and alcohol.
Hoo boy, tell me about it.  My mom is REALLY overprotective.

My mom nearly shot my hand off when she caught me trying to get into her personal liquor cabinet. :mellow:

Guest severus

My mom has been nagging about alcohol since I was 15. Have a glass of wine (or four) and tune her out. Tried and tested. 

Guest nana544

yeah your mother cares and wants you to be careful that's all. A mother's love is greater than the all the oceans and sands combined. 

You could try to do something like this:

Be more like the kind of person that substantiates your opinion with facts.  Let this be known so whomever that debates with you will know the level of standard you appeal to.  Make sure when you make your claims, have the patience or logic to falsify your contentions.  That is, show there are situations where the opposing disposition could be right, implicitly making you wrong, but those conclusions do not apply in this particular situation because certain criteria were not met -- then list these criteria.

Always within reason, stick with this method of problem-solving.  At times this may mean you will have to spend a good deal of time sorting your thoughts out.  However, you will get better at doing this with practice; and, when the time comes where someone must reciprocate the effort to prove you wrong, if they can't find the evidence to buttress their claims, then it saves you the time from debating with someone whose inner dialog is more invested in power/control, than in logic and an overall sense of caring for your intellectual well-being.

Guest nappeungurl

hmm I can understand that you're pissed but maybe it helps you if you think the other way round: how would you act at your mother's place? she just wants your best, remember that :o

While there are no health concerns, there are no health benefits either. 1 cup of beer or 1 glass of wine is enough to begin impairing your judgment and nerves.

I'm anti-alcohol but I'm not going to force my opinion on you. About your situation, you can either lovingly convince her, understand where she's coming from (by asking her whys and such), or disobey her because she might not change her stance.

Archived