Actor Lee Min Ki Shed 17kg to Portray Killer in New Movie

Newsie

Lee Min Ki described how he worked to transform into a ruthless killer.

On February 13, Lee Min Ki attended the production presentation of his new film “Monster” at the Lotte Cinema located in Gwangjin-gu, Seoul. He revealed the behind-the-scenes story of how he lost 17kg (approx. 37.5 lbs) in order to best portray his character.

Lee Min Ki said, “Taesoo, my character, is very keen and edgy, so I thought it would be best to just be in the same state as the character than acting out the lines. I gained some weight and then lost 16-17kg. My total body fat went down to 4% at one point,” explaining the reason for his weight loss.

He added, “So I became very edgy. I thought it would help me to portray a killer naturally.”

Lee Min Ki also underwent hard training for a scene where he exposed his entire backside. He had to lose weight and exercise in order to make his back thinner.

The actor revealed, “The director wanted me to have a model figure. While doing the shoot, I sat with my back against the camera. I almost got a little bit upset when he suggested I sit to the side.”

He continued saying, “My abs disappeared after July 20. However, my body has change from the physical training.”

“Monster” tells the story of Taesoo, a diabolical serial killer and Boksoon (played by Kim Go Eun), who lost her sister by him. The movie premieres on March 13.

View the full article

Archived