[Drama 2013] The Goddess of Fire, Jung Yi 불의 여신 정이

Admin

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MGYlove

sin hoonsim said: ----BREAK ---NEW DISCOVERY-------- @wenjinying (Curfew for 9 hours is over) lol @SMP567 @kappy @stevie8 @GHSforever I am watching episode 32 now Have a good laugh my dear! New discovery... @stevie8 , now we know why Prince KH is so happy? Your Q answered in finale episode... Watch carefully ya It was 'DARK' ...night time ok when JY visited Crown prince KH at army camp? But then... So you are right @kappy KH: Jung-ah, since ur here w me, i w not let u go... JY: Mama... And then... It was 'BRIGHT' light ...morning when JY left or standing outside camp Oho? Cencored? Jusohhamida, miyane I maybe wrong...my imagination Perhaps there are others who will not agree w me (quoted by @wenjinying ) Its at min: 14 part 2 if u watch dramaholics link guys LOL (Min 29 of finale epi) :x X_X I can still feel JY love for KH & KH feeling for JY I still admire TD committed love & sacrifice for my dear JY..salute :x :x

Guest MGYlove

sin hoonsim said: @wenjinying Tks anyway. My apology to JY & KH... Perhaps its my dream for JY & KH to end up together :\"> No bad & ill intention at all I will be more careful, moving forward With love :x

Guest stevie8

sin hoonsim said: A trick by kwangsoo... a date w someone...making cup project w last longer...Ming ambassador After saving JY river, knowing TaePyeung a girl, & falling in love w her Which Kwangsoo mistakenly thought Both xxxx X_X

The Life of Gwang Hae Gun - the 15th King of Joseon Dynasty

Gwang Hae Gun or Prince Gwang Hae (1574-1641 ) was King Seonjo's second son. He succeeded his father and ruled the country during the turbulent time both domestic and foreign affairs.  
Although GOF is mostly about the life of Baek Pa-sun, since the story involves Gwanghae Gun, I thought it would be interesting to learn about this Prince's life as well. It turned out to be educational not only about the Prince but also about the relationship among Korea, Japan, and China and how their cultures, languages, and norms are related. 

The full content can be seen at Wikipedia. I extracted some parts that were mentioned in the drama to discuss here.

Achievements:

Gwang Hae Gun was a talented and realistic politician. He endeavored to restore the country and sponsored the restoration of documents. He did land reform and redistribution to the citizens; he reintroduced the hopae identification system after a long period of disuse.

In foreign affairs he sought a balance between the Ming Empire and the Manchus. Since he realized Joseon was unable to compete with Manchu military power, he tried to keep friendly relationship with the Manchus while Joseon was still under Ming. The critically worsened Manchu-Ming relationship forced him to send ten thousand soldiers to aid Ming in 1619.  The battle ended in Manchu's overwhelming victory. Gwanghae gun negotiated independently for peace with the Manchus and managed to avoid another war. He also restored diplomatic relationship with Japan in 1609 when he reopened trade with Japan and sent his ambassadors to Japan in 1617.

During his reign, Gwanghae gun encouraged publishing in order to accelerate reconstruction and to restore the kingdom's former prosperity. Many books came out during his reign, including the famous medical book Donguibogam. Many historical records were rewritten in this period.

Here is the fun part. Through fiction, the drama has shown us a small glimpse of how wise and capable Gwang Hae Gun is as the future ruler of Joseon.  

For example, Prince Gwang Hae has many times in the drama saved Tae Pyueng who is a menial worker and allowed him to remain in Bunwon because he wants to support anyone with a big dream of achievement regardless of class. When Jung is discovered to be a girl, it is the Prince who steps out to protect her and let her continue the work.

At the time when the Ming ambassador gives the king a hard time about making the teacup that doesn't cool down the tea, he switches the tea cups, saving Bunwon, Chief Lee and Yook Do, and saving the King's face and pleasing him tremendously.
imageimage

From the teacup incident, that Ming Ambassador tries to take Jung to Ming to kill her. Prince Gwang Hae helps Tae Do save Jung risking both his life and his title. At the same time, he is able to save the national treasures from being stolen to Ming.
mn1_zps3f25de71.jpg
mn2_zpsd843bcfd.jpg
mn3_zps25bba531.jpg
mn4_zps36cdb48e.jpg

Reforming Bunwon  ( to be continued..)

Fixing the corruption   ( to be continued..)

Reforming Bunwon 
Bunwon is a very important institute in that era both as the culture development department of the palace and the main source of ceramics production for the Royal family and for political gifts. 

3.jpg

4.jpg
5.jpg

But Bunwon is a mess, full of corruption by ex-chief Lee and consort In Bin.
Thanks to Prince Gwang Hae's leadership skill, he notices an able and clean person, Master Moon, and appoints him as the new Chief, to set a new chapter of Bunwon and rid it of all the frauds. 
Chief Moon spots the main problem of Bunwon in the lack of talent artists. His mission is to promote capable ceramists for the future of this important institute without any discrimination in the workplace ( male or female ).

Untitled_zps0f0e3148.png
c2_zps8d80174b.png

c3_zpsf3b02dcf.jpgsoompi

Fixing the corruption

Prince Gwang Hae on his first business trip to check the welfare of the citizens               ( a small impressive duty of the future king )

image  image

He smiles and accepts gold and gifts to him as briberies from the officers.

photo349891.jpg

Then he slam-dunked them and told them to use all the bribe money to help the poor, the soldiers and their families. Some money is to fix the borders. And finally, he plans to use a whole box of gold to order wagons to transfer them to the prison. He will punish all the officers who are greedy and corrupt the country for their own benefits.

Gwang Hae Gun

His legacy:

Although Gwanghae gun is one of only two deposed kings who were not restored and given the temple name........., many people consider him a victim of feuds between political factions.  However, he did a better job of caring for his country than his predecessor King Seonjo, or his successor King Injo. ...... In modern South Korea, Gwanghae gun is considered a great and wise king, not a despot.

Later Life:
Although he was deposed in a coup by the Westerners faction and died humbly on Jeju Island, he has left behind great legacy and valuable treasures and is well-respected by modern citizens.

[Wikipedia]

Archived