Kim Woo Bin 김우빈 I [Upcoming Drama 2024] Everything Will Come True

heartkwbheart

Kim Woo-bin highlights society's unsung heroes in ‘Officer Black Belt’

de7d182e-d63d-4776-bd60-8c43762c0966.jpg

From left, actor Kim Sung-kyun, director Kim Joo-hwan and actor Kim Woo-bin pose during a press conference for the upcoming Netflix movie “Officer Black Belt” at a theater in Seoul, Tuesday. Yonhap

By Baek Byung-yeul

Actor Kim Woo-bin expressed his desire to shed light on the little-known yet crucial role of police officers trained in martial arts in the upcoming Netflix film "Officer Black Belt," where he plays a dedicated professional tasked with monitoring sex offenders.

Martial arts officers, appointed by the Ministry of Justice, are highly trained individuals with at least a third rank in martial arts such as taekwondo, judo and kendo. They work alongside probation officers to monitor sex offenders who wear electronic anklets as part of their sentencing.

"Embarrassingly, I didn't know much about the martial arts officer profession. I might have heard about probation officers in the news, but I first learned about martial arts officers through this film," Kim said during a press conference for "Officer Black Belt," Tuesday.

Kim's character Lee Jung-do is an ordinary man who holds nine ranks in taekwondo, kendo and judo combined and becomes a martial arts officer, shedding light on the daily responsibilities and challenges these officers face.

The action film pairs Jung-do with probation officer Kim Sun-min (Kim Sung-kyun) in closely monitoring sex offenders wearing electronic anklets 24 hours a day to prevent crimes.

"For the film, actor Kim Sung-kyun and I met with actual martial arts officers. They've always been around us, doing difficult and admirable work. I approached the filming with gratitude towards them," Kim said.

Kim Sung-kyun, who plays the probation officer, also admitted he wasn't familiar with these professions but realized they contribute to making our society safer.

"I didn't know about probation officers and martial arts officers. I learned about them through the film. I initially thought they were rigid and heavy professions. Meeting them in person, I realized that wasn't entirely true," Kim Sung-kyun said.

"Watching probation officers at work, I saw that they don't simply monitor their subjects. To protect citizens, they sometimes scold them like older brothers, sometimes coax them and sometimes respond firmly when necessary. I focused on their humane aspects."

3915ab37-a76c-4426-bea2-48250e3bff81.jpg
Actors Kim Woo-bin, left, and Kim Sung-kyun play a martial arts officer and a probation officer, respectively, in the upcoming Netflix film "Officer Black Belt." Courtesy of Netflix

Director Kim Joo-hwan, known for his 2017 action film "Midnight Runners" and 2023 Netflix drama "Bloodhounds," noted that the film seeks to portray humanity in an increasingly cold world.

"Compassion is disappearing from the world. We made this film to show that there are people doing good for others. I hope viewers enjoy this work filled with humor, action and thrills during the Chuseok season," the director said.

To portray Jung-do, who uses various martial arts in the film, Kim Woo-bin gained eight kilograms and dedicated himself to training for three months before filming.

"I trained in kendo, judo and taekwondo for three to four hours a day, starting three months before filming. Of course, I couldn't become a martial arts master in just three months, but I practiced a lot to do my best," the actor said.

"I gained eight kilograms to give the impression of being sturdy and capable of subduing opponents. Also, to show viewers how Jung-do changes as he takes on this profession, I gradually lost weight during filming and changed my hair color from yellow to black."

“Officer Black Belt” will be released on Netflix on Friday.

credit : Korea Times

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2024/09/689_382249.html

*** Kim Woo Bin reveals taking professional martial arts training and gaining 8 kgs while preparing for his role in the upcoming action movie Officer Black Belt. He shared these insights during the film’s production presentation, held on September 10 at Lotte Cinema Konkuk University in Seoul, where he was joined by the director and co-star Kim Sung Kyun. Kim Woo Bin said, "I trained in Kendo, Judo, and Taekwondo for three to four hours a day under the guidance of a martial arts director. I gain 8 kilograms. I thought it would be better if I appeared strong and able to overpower others. The emotional and mental changes of the character were the most important to me. It's fascinating to see how a character who initially chases after fun changes after encountering real work. I carefully dissected that process, step by step, in collaboration with the director. I love exercise and live a happy life; a man who, rather than having a chiseled physique, appears solid and somewhat bulkier. I wanted to show a new side of myself." The movie Officer Black Belt is set for an exclusive release on September 13.  

1522273540_copy-of-cms-lead-image-3.jpg

‘Officer Black Belt’ explores world of probation officers

http://res.heraldm.com/phpwas/restmb_idxmake.php?idx=640&simg=/content/image/2024/09/10/20240910050745_0.jpg
Kim Sung-kyun (left) and Kim Woo-bin pose for a photo during a press conference of “Officer Black Belt” in Seoul on Tuesday. (Yonhap)

Netflix original film “Officer Black Belt” explores the world of probation officers -- a little covered topic in Korea -- with witty comedy and thrilling action sequences.

This coming-of-age comedy action “Officer Black Belt” revolves around Lee Jung-do (Kim Woo-bin) who has exceptional martial arts skills and goes on to assist probation officer Kim Sun-min (Kim Sung-kyun). The two pair up to keep an eye on criminals wearing ankle monitors.

Director Jason Kim (“Midnight Runners,” “Bloodhounds”) said he has known about the work probation officers do for quite a long time.

“I received this letter (from the city government) notifying that a criminal wearing an ankle monitor had recently moved into my neighborhood. That was the first time that I want to do some in-depth research into it. Then I asked people around like police officers and former cops who devote their lives to protecting people in society,” director Kim told reporters during a press conference held in Lotte Cinema Konkuk University in Seoul on Tuesday.

Both Kim Woo-bin and Kim Sung-kyun said they did not know about the job before shooting the project.

“It was very interesting for me to know about the job. It also gives me a sense of worthiness and sense of duty when I play the character with a new occupation (that I haven’t played before),” Kim Woo-bin told reporters.

“I also became known for this occupation through this movie. I didn’t know there was an institution (where probation officers and martial arts officers work) exists. At first, I thought they were very strict and serious people but this movie also taught me a lesson that they also have humane aspects,” Kim Sung-kyun told reporters.

http://res.heraldm.com/phpwas/restmb_idxmake.php?idx=640&simg=/content/image/2024/09/10/20240910050746_0.jpg
Kim Sung-kyun (right) and Kim Woo-bin in “Officer Black Belt.” (Netflix)

In the movie, Kim Woo-bin is a martial arts professional having altogether nine belts in three different martial arts including taekwondo, kendo and judo.

“I couldn’t become that much of a talented martial arts pro in just three months, but I tried my best and practiced as much as I could, so I naturally exude a professional feel in Jung-do’s attitudes and gestures,” Kim Woo-bin said, adding that he also tried showing different aspects of Jung-do by gradually losing weight and through hair dying.

Director Kim said he focused on highlighting Kim’s action sequences by involving all three of taekwondo, kendo and judo.

“Because Jung-do plays three different sports, I tried to emphasize his sports-inspired footsteps, as well as thinking about whether he is going to show taekwondo moves, hold a stick in a fight or play judo (in devising action sequences),” director Kim told reporters.

For his flagship action choreographies which include delightful, rhythmical body movements, Kim said this time he wanted to give Jung-do the fun and cool skills of throwing objects.

“I wanted to add a little wittiness to Jung-do’s actions, so I have him a habit of throwing stuff. So I was able to devise the world’s first-ever action sequence involving a jar throwing, which I discussed a lot with my staff on how to minimize the wound through various rounds of tests and experiments,” he added.

“Officer Black Belt” will become available on Netflix on Friday.

http://res.heraldm.com/phpwas/restmb_idxmake.php?idx=640&simg=/content/image/2024/09/10/20240910050747_0.jpg
From left: Kim Sung-kyun, director Jason Kim, Kim Woo-bin pose for a photo during a press conference of “Officer Black Belt” in Seoul on Tuesday. (Yonhap)

credit : Korea Herald

'Officer Black Belt' cast prepare to punch their way onto Netflix screens during Chuseok

From left, actor Kim Sung-kyun, director Kim Joo-hwan and actor Kim Woo-bin pose for a photo during a press conference for Netflix's action film ″Officer Black Belt″ held in Gwangjin District, eastern Seoul, on Tuesday. [YONHAP]

From left, actor Kim Sung-kyun, director Kim Joo-hwan and actor Kim Woo-bin pose for a photo during a press conference for Netflix's action film ″Officer Black Belt″ held in Gwangjin District, eastern Seoul, on Tuesday. [YONHAP]

Korea may not have a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, but it does have secret neighborhood martial arts masters protecting people from the criminal world. But don't be embarrassed if you haven't heard about these special heroes, actors Kim Woo-bin and Kim Sung-kyun of Netflix's upcoming action film "Officer Black Belt" had no idea who they were either.

“I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't know who they were,” actor Kim Woo-bin said during a press conference for the film, held in Gwangjin District, eastern Seoul, on Tuesday.

“It was my first time coming across the job, though I think I've heard about probation officers in the news before. After meeting and speaking with the officers in person, I realized that I was unaware of the challenging and remarkable work they were doing, even though they've always been around us.”

A still from upcoming Netflix's action film ″Officer Black Belt″ [NETFLIX]

The new action film, set for release on Sept. 13, centers on the journey of Jung-do, a talented martial artist who becomes a martial arts officer after teaming up with a probation officer to fight and prevent crime. The film follows the two, who monitor and track down criminals wearing electronic ankle bracelets to protect the neighborhood.

Martial arts officers and probation officers, jobs that may be unfamiliar to the public, are public servants under the Ministry of Justice. They work as a pair, monitoring the locations and movements of individuals wearing electronic ankle bracelets. They aim to prevent criminals from reoffending by operating a 24-hour surveillance system, which involves tracking criminals down and carrying out undercover operations.

Directed by Kim Joo-hwan, who was also behind several action pieces like action film “Midnight Runners” (2017) and Netflix action series “Bloodhounds” (2023), the film features actor Kim Woo-bin, who plays Jung-do, and Kim Sung-kyun, who plays probation officer Sun-min.  

Though the jobs were unfamiliar to the actors, the director knew about the jobs for quite some time and revealed that his personal experience led him to delve deeper into the subject.

“While I was researching the jobs, a notice arrived at my home, indicating that someone wearing an electronic ankle bracelet was living in my neighborhood,” director Kim said. “[Such an experience] made me think about those people living near my home, which led me to delve even deeper into the topic.”

Actor Kim Woo-bin, who mainly overpowers his opponents physically in his role, made a few physical changes to more appropriately depict his character and background. He gained some weight and dyed his hair blonde, as he is portrayed as an ordinary person who naturally seeks fun while also having expertise in taekwondo, judo and kendo.

Spoiler

“I wanted to look more imposing and capable of overpowering my opponents, so I started gaining weight and ended up adding about eight kilograms (17.6 pounds),” Kim said. “I thought [Jung-do] would look better with some body fat and a fuller face rather than a sculpted, ripped physique, as he is a person who enjoys exercising, chases after fun and lives a happy life.”  

For Kim Woo-bin, it seemed that the physical change was part of a bigger picture to thoroughly depict the growth of his character, saying, “I also wanted to show Jung-do’s transformation through him losing weight and changing his hair.”

In the film, Kim Woo-bin also shows a new type of action, which the director dubbed “hangari [large clay fermentation pot] action.” It was the first time the director had tried such an action scene during his career.

Actor Kim Woo-bin speaks during a press conference for upcoming Netflix's action film ″Officier Black Belt″ held in Gwangjin District, eastern Seoul, on Tuesday. [YONHAP]

Actor Kim Woo-bin speaks during a press conference for upcoming Netflix's action film ″Officier Black Belt″ held in Gwangjin District, eastern Seoul, on Tuesday. [YONHAP]

Actor Kim Sung-kyun speaks during a press conference for upcoming Netflix's action film ″Officier Black Belt″ held in Gwangjin District, eastern Seoul, on Tuesday. [YONHAP]

Actor Kim Sung-kyun speaks during a press conference for upcoming Netflix's action film ″Officier Black Belt″ held in Gwangjin District, eastern Seoul, on Tuesday. [YONHAP]

“I think we might have created the world’s first action scene involving hangari,” the director said. “Although it looks simple, we carefully spent a lot of time determining the right material for the pots and the amount of gochujang [Korean chili paste] needed inside to avoid injury while capturing the right effect.”  

Probation officer Sun-min is a “straight up good-natured person,” according to Kim Sung-kyun, who plays the role, adding that he also tried to capture the human side of his character’s job.

“I realized that they don’t just oversee and control individuals, but also act as an older brother, offering guidance and support when needed, and at times, take a firm stance in their duties as probation officers,” Kim said, admitting that he first had the impression of them being very rigid and intimidating.

The film may seem just like an entertaining, action-packed film, but the director hopes to deliver a deeper message.

“When preparing for this project, I started with the question of whether we are still capable of doing good in a world where compassion seems to be diminishing,” the director said. "I wanted to tell the viewers that people can still do good for others.”

“We put a lot of effort into delivering that message in an entertaining way, combining action, humor and thrills into a complete package. We hope you enjoy it this Chuseok.”

BY KIM JI-YE [kim.jiye@joongang.co.kr]

credit : JoongAngDaily

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/2024-09-10/entertainment/movies/Officer-Black-Belt-cast-prepare-to-punch-their-way-onto-Netflix-screens-during-Chuseok/2131690

Kim Woo-bin's new Netflix film 'Officer Black Belt' introduces new kind of hero

On Sept 10, a press briefing was held at Lotte Cinema Konkuk University in Seoul for Netflix’s upcoming film “Officer Black Belt.” The event featured director Kim Joo-hwan alongside lead actors Kim Woo-bin and Kim Sung-kyun.

From left, actor Kim Sung-kyun, director Kim Joo-hwan and actor Kim Woo-bin pose during a media conference for the Netflix movie "Official Black Belt" on Sept 10. /Netflix
From left, actor Kim Sung-kyun, director Kim Joo-hwan and actor Kim Woo-bin pose during a media conference for the Netflix movie "Official Black Belt" on Sept 10. /Netfli\

“Officer Black Belt,” directed by Kim Joo-hwan—known for “Midnight Runners” and the Netflix series “Bloodhounds”—follows the story of Lee Jung-do (played by Kim Woo-bin), an ordinary man who holds nine black belts across taekwondo, kendo, and judo. He is offered the role of a “martial arts officer” by probation officer Kim Sun-min (played by Kim Sung-kyun), tasked with monitoring individuals wearing electronic monitoring bracelets to prevent crimes. The film provides a fresh perspective on the often-overlooked roles of martial arts officers and probation officers, highlighting their everyday heroism.

Since 2008, South Korea has used electronic monitoring devices to track high-risk repeat offenders. Martial arts officers collaborate with probation officers, stepping in when situations escalate to verbal or physical confrontation. They not only assist in supervision but also provide support during interviews.

Director Kim Joo-hwan revealed his inspiration for the film came after noticing someone in his neighborhood wearing an electronic bracelet. To accurately portray the world of martial arts officers and probation officers, he consulted with professionals in the field during the film’s development.

Both Kim Woo-bin and Kim Sung-kyun acknowledged that they were initially unfamiliar with these roles. To get into character, they met with real-life officers, giving them a newfound appreciation for the work behind the scenes.

Kim Woo-bin, who plays Lee Jung-do, shared, “I was intrigued by my character’s journey—from someone who used to just hang out with his friends to someone who finds meaning and duty in his new role. I hope the audience connects with that change.” He underwent rigorous martial arts training, spending three to four hours a day practicing for three months. He also gained around 8 kg and changed his hair color to fully embody the character’s commanding presence.

Kim Sung-kyun shared his enthusiasm for collaborating with Kim Joo-hwan, stating, “I’ve always admired the vibrant, well-crafted storytelling in Director Kim’s previous works, so I was excited to join this movie. I was also looking forward to working with Kim Woo-bin.” After visiting a probation office, he realized that probation officers do more than just monitor offenders—they also serve as mentors, providing both guidance and support. “I aimed to reflect that in my portrayal,” he added.

Officer Black Belt is set to premiere exclusively on Netflix on Sept 13.

credit : Chosun Ilbo

https://www.chosun.com/english/kpop-culture-en/2024/09/13/2WT5RY3TJRGD3IKYA5PCMX56NA/

*** On September 10, Netflix Korea shared a video on its YouTube channel featuring the stars of its original film 'Officer Black Belt', Kim Woo Bin and Kim Sung Kyun, as guests. Here, Kim Woo Bin revealed that he initially had no intentions of pursuing a career in acting. Kim Woo Bin also revealed his daily routine; he writes a 'thanks note' before bed. He said, "Each day, I find five things I am grateful for and write them down. It's easy when you start with simple things. Writing them down makes me think about things I was grateful for that day and remember it. I started doing that around the time I debuted. Now I'm focusing more on the little things to be thankful for. Initially, I never thought about becoming an actor. I just wanted to be a good model and later become a professor at a modeling department, training hoobae models. During my modeling career, I realized this job requires some acting. When I was on advertisement shootings or attending meetings, people there asked me to act on certain scenes, and I didn't know what to do. So, I started taking acting lessons to be a better model. I learned acting from actor Moon Won-joo, and he was amazing. He taught acting very well and with such passion that I became interested in it. That's when my path got slightly shifted, I think." When asked if there were any genres he wanted to try, Kim Woo Bin answered, "I'd like to try historical drama since I've never done it. And it would be refreshing to play a character with a professional occupation. There were not a lot of opportunities for me to play that kind of character."

201984809_700.webp

source : SBS Star

"Officer Black Belt" Opened 2024/09/13 in Korea

photo1874285.jpg

"Officer Black Belt" (2024)

Directed by Kim Joo-hwan

With Kim Woo-bin, Kim Sung-kyun, Lee Hae-young-I, Kim Yool-ho, Lee Joong-ok,...

Synopsis
This action-drama film follows the antics of Lee Jeong-do, who boasts a 9th degree expertise in taekwondo, kumdo and judo combined, when he lands a job as a martial arts officer electronically monitoring criminals, along with Kim Seon-min, a probation officer who recognizes Jeong-do's crime-detecting abilities and martial arts skills. This is the latest project by director Kim Joo-hwan, whose film "Midnight Runners" painted a witty and suspenseful portrait of youth with its cast of unique characters, followed by his work in the Netflix series "Bloodhounds", which reached first place in Netflix's Global Top 10 TV (Non-English) list. A martial arts officer protects the safety of civilians by preventing crime and electronically monitoring individuals at a high risk of reoffending. Kim Woo-bin plays Lee Jeong-do, a multi talented martial artist who always helps a person in need. Although Jeong-do is an ordinary young man who prioritizes fun and happiness, he achieves character growth by dedicating himself to protecting those at risk of crime. Kim Sung-kyun plays Kim Seon-min, a probation officer who offers Jeong-do the position of martial arts officer after recognizing his talent and intuition. Kim Seon-min's sense of duty and expertise and Lee Jeong-do's martial arts skills and nerves of steel are not all the film has to offer. The biggest reason to anticipate "Officer Black Belt" is the realistic action, the tension of chasing hard criminals and the delightful synergy between the two leads. (Netflix)

*** Chuseok is approaching - For this year 2024, it will start on Monday September 16 - September 18.  It is actually one of the four major holidays celebrated in Korea along with the Lunar New Year. It is a major holiday in South Korea when families gather together and visit their hometowns and is celebrated with a three-day national holiday.For Koreans it's a family holiday. It also known as Korean Thanksgiving Day and Koreans thank their ancestors in memorial services called Charye for the year’s harvest, and share their abundance with family and friends.( ‘Charye‘ is an important rite performed during the Chuseok holiday, as it honors one’s ancestors with a temporary shrine, containing certain foods and drinks. These items are placed in specific spots on a table, and many steps are included to properly show one’s respects.) Songpyeon (Korean rice cakes) are served at these ceremonies.It’s usually the oldest or head of the household, e.g., grandparents, parents), are dress up in traditional clothing (Hanbok), cook delicious food, and pay their respects to their ancestors.  Like in SK, the Mid-Autumn Festival is a celebration in China too. It usually falls on the 15th day of the 8th month according to the lunar calendar. The exact day changes each year. Also, it's the perfect time to visit the local theater or flick through streaming services to catch up with the latest films and series. So, why don't you watch  -

Officer Black Belt (15)
Action / 109 mins / Korean / Sept. 13 / Netflix

The new Netflix film “Officer Black Belt” centers on Jung-do, a talented martial artist who teams up with a probation officer to fight and prevent crime as a martial arts officer. The film follow the two tracking down criminals to protect their neighborhood.

Directed by Kim Joo-hwan, the film features actor Kim Woo-bin, who plays Jung-do, and Kim Sung-kyun, who plays probation officer Sun-min.  

The film shines a light on the lives of martial arts officers and probation officers, jobs that aren't very familiar to the public.

A still from Netflix's action film ″Officer Black Belt″ [NETFLIX]

A still from Netflix's action film ″Officer Black Belt″ [NETFLIX]

credit : JoongAngDaily

Top K-dramas that show the beautiful countryside of South Korea

If you love K-dramas and dream of escaping to the serene countryside of South Korea, this article is for you! Many K-dramas are set in bustling cities, but some gems showcase the country’s beautiful rural landscapes. These dramas not only offer stunning visuals of lush fields, peaceful mountains, and charming villages but also tell heartwarming stories of love, friendship, and personal growth.

From the picturesque seaside village in Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha to the nostalgic vibes of Reply 1988, these shows highlight the simple joys and close-knit communities of rural life. 

Whether it’s the touching romance in When the Camellia Blooms or the inspiring journey in Racket Boys, these K-dramas will transport you to a world where life moves at a slower, more meaningful pace. Get ready to add these countryside K-dramas to your watchlist and enjoy a refreshing change of scenery!

Our Blues

Set on the stunning Jeju Island, this drama weaves together stories of love, loss, and friendship among its residents.

The breathtaking island scenery, with its beautiful beaches and lush landscapes, provides a perfect backdrop for the intertwined lives of the characters. 

As they navigate their personal struggles and joys, the drama highlights the warmth and resilience of the community.

Our Blues beautifully showcases the serene and picturesque countryside of South Korea.

source : https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/top-k-dramas-that-show-the-beautiful-countryside-of-south-korea-our-blues-racket-boys-and-more-1347774

*** When it comes to one of the most iconic K-Dramas of all time, The Heirs is one of them. Kim Woo Bin catches my attention here as Choi Young Do. His character was known for being a “bully”.  i remember when Kim Woo Bin was promoting his project Alienoid , they appeared on an episode of MMTG with host JaeJae. As they're chatting about the movie, they brought up The Heirs. Kim Woo Bin spoke about his iconic scene with Lee Min Ho in the cafeteria when he had to spill curry on Lee Min Ho. JaeJae pointed out that, what seemed like a scene showcasing aggression, was actually done very gently. "You’re pouring the curry very, very, gently because you don’t want to stain his white shirt." If you have watched the drama especially this scene, the curry was only spilled on Lee Min Ho’s jacket. Kim Woo Bin pointed out that, when they were filming, Lee Min Ho only had one shirt. He pointed out that they had another scene they had to film with Lee Min Ho wearing that shirt. Ohhh............ Kim Woo Bin is such a very considerate person.