You're [nationality] but you don't speak [language] ?

Mannosuke

Guest ThatGirlJae

I'm from a country which probably everyone hates so I won't release that wolf... (clue: Pirates o.O)

Anyways, I understand my language perfectly. I know what they're saying, I know how to answer, but when it comes out of my mouth it sounds like a different language. I'm learning it though. I should, what if I ever have children and I can never teach them my mother tongue?  But I was influenced by school, friends tv...All throwing english at me and I just stayed there, injesting it all and forgetting my roots.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leopoldine

said: Isn't he American if he was born in the US ? 

If his parents never spoke to him in Korean, didn't force him to go to Korean class etc, I think it's pretty normal that he can't speak the language. 

I can't speak nor understand well Cantonese. I

am

a bit ashamed because it's like a loss of the heritage I have through my parents. And it's is incredibly awkward when my mother's relative come to visit and I can't answer their questions or worse understand it. Plus, I think it's a pity not to be bilingual. 

He shouldn't feel ashamed if he has no whatsoever interest in his Korean heritage and all but I think it's a pity, culturally speaking.

Guest sparr0w

I live in the US and I'm Filipina. The most I can do is understand my parents or relatives whenever they speak their dialect. I can only say a few phrases here and there, but not enough to be confident in carrying a conversation with someone.

• 3 weeks later...

ThatGirlJae said:

I'm from a country which probably everyone hates so I wont release that info--- (clue: Pirates o.O)

Anyways, I understand my language perfectly. I know what they're saying, I know how to answer, but when it comes out of my mouth it sounds like a different language. I'm learning it though. I should, what if I ever have children and I can never teach them my mother tongue?  But I was influenced by school, friends tv...All throwing english at me and I just stayed there, injesting it all and forgetting my roots.

I think it's normal for someone to be born in an English-speaking country and not know how to speak their family/native language BUT TO BE HONEST, it is really really sad to see it happen. I'm not saying it's something to be ashamed of, I just get a little sad knowing that these new generation of kids are losing sense of what makes their family different and unique -- a sense of culture and language.

Learning a language is not easy, and so many adults wish they could learn a new language. Many first generation ethnicities in the US are blessed with parents who know their native language with free lessons.

I can speak Cantonese, but not 100%. I can understand Mandarin, but can barely speak it. As a kid, the only thing I knew how to speak was Cantonese and Mandarin but I was also teased a lot for not knowing English, so I decided to rid myself of my Chinese vocab. Very sad on my part since I regret it now -- Mandarin would be extremely helpful in my job and knowing both dialects would put me at a huge advantage for employers. D; Sad life.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest skipturninrain

I find sad for the young people who can't speak the language where their parents came from but it is the environment that people live in that determines the necessity for learning it. I'm bilingual and I find it very helpful and cultural enrichment, I get to know more about my ancestry and basically knowing a different language opens many doors. I think if someone is born in a country like the U.S. learning english is a "must" and if they have the opportunity to learn their native language good but if not then oh well?? Basically here in the U.S. they don't have english as their "official language" but we do get the hints that it is eventually a must in order to communicate with others and that the majority share the language in common.

Guest HappyExpress

I actually know someone who can't speak his language because his parents doesn't want him to learn Korean. I really don't know the reason but I find it weird his parents doesn't wanted to him to speak Korean.

I think it important to learn how to speak the language where your parents came from in order to communicate your parents. I hate how I can't communicate to my parents 40% of the time. It's very frustrating, I can't express myself talking to my parents, most of the time I have to keep my month shut. I hated that feeling, especially if I wanted to argue back but I can't say a word..... :(

I think its really sad when people dont know their own nation's language...even if they were born somewhere else...Im not saying that they should speak it perfectly but come on, at least know some basic stuff?
I understand that some people dont have the right circumstances to learn their language and I'm sort of okay with that, but, I am NOT okay with people saying that they, for example, are sooooo Korean and show off Korean objects but dont even know how to spell potato, you know what I'm saying? I've seen like 3 people like that (different nationalities) -.-
I know a guy who was born in the US and knows how to speak and write Korean pretty well. Why? PARENTS. I think it's the parents' obligation to educate their children about their culture and language...when I see people who cant speak their own language, it makes me think that they dont get along with their parents or that their parents are just inconsiderate.

*I edited the last word because people were offended...I must add that this is my opinion and rant so please dont get all mad at me for stating my opinion.

It's really sad that when people lose their native language...
You lose a lot when you don't speak your native language.
I get sad when I hear my little cousin saying: WHY SHOULD I LEARN CHINESE, I'm NOT Chinese, I'm CANADIAN... totally heartbreaking how in the second or third generation the language is already lost.

I personally love to learn new languages so I have been interested in learning new languages since I was a kid.
My parents are from Zhongshan, Guangdong, and they came to a Spanish speaking, so I was born in there, learned the Zhongsan dialect, then Spanish and gradually learned Cantonese. And when I got older I learned Mandarin. And I learned English at school.
I'm fluent in all five and I am really proud to know them all and I still wish I know more languages, it gives one more opportunities for work and stuff. I just graduated from HS and I'm working as a translator from Mandarin to Spanish, and even English, and there are a lot of companies searching for people that know Mandarin.
 It's true that older people respect second generation that can speak their native language. And the relations with your parents and family sure is better.

Guest HappyExpress

@Minkachu

I'm guessing you quote what I only quote part of her post. You should read her post completely, she stated that she understand that some people don't have the right circumstances to learn their language and she okay with that and so on....

"I find this incredibly insulting. Regardless if someone cannot speak their own native language, you have no right to assume the reason for it."

She only stating her opinion, noting to take seriously. I know for sure what she partly said is true, in a way does apply to me, of course doesn't apply to all. Anyway, that's great both you and your parents can communicate in English. Both my parents don't speak English, so its different for me. I don't speak fluently in their language either. So there obviously going to be language barrier issue. The only reason I don't communicate my parents very much, there always conflict involve. Especially trying defend/explain things to them is rather difficult. It really sucks big time. Most of time I tried to keep myself cool down and sometime I get out of control and feel frustrated. All I saying, Language barrier between parents sucks.

I would love to speak my parent's language so I can talk to them easily.

Guest Minkachu

I'm sorry to hear that there's a language barrier between the child/children and the parents, like you and your parents. But I also want to stress that despite being able to communicate with my parents, there's always a conflict between us as well. It's because our personalities don't agree with one another. Half the time my parents and I just....yell out things at one another. It's not like we sit down and talk formally about our feelings and whatnot (you know, actual communication). For sure the language barrier would make it even worse, but I'm sure for some cases, it's not because of the language barrier. It might seem that way, but one's way of thinking, one's stubbornness, the unwillingness to listen, process and then to make a logical judgment/decision thereafter greatly contributes to conflict between two parties. 
Or maybe it's just the frustration from trying so hard to express our thoughts to another person that results an argument immediately. 
Anyway, I know myself I don't know all the reasons for people not knowing their native tongue. But not all those people, at a young age, decide to not learn their native tongue. There are some who refuse to accept their nationality and therefore embrace their culture. I don't understand why that, though, would be such a hindrance for some people. 

Guest HappyExpress

@Minkachu
" Or maybe it's just the frustration from trying so hard to express our thoughts to another person that results an argument immediately. "

How I can I express my thought when I don't speak their language fluently? It's impossible.

@bubblegumxdp I'm interested in your language acquisition. I actually learned English and Spanish from watching TV. I would have learned Korean too, but there was one channel that only broadcasted Korean TV at night, so I wasn't able to figure out enough of the structure as a kid. I wasn't allowed to speak it or to even hear much of it. There were a few pockets of Koreans in my neighborhood, but they were Protestant and there was this idea of "pure" Koreans.

I don't think that parents should be forced to teach children languages, but I do feel like languages should be encouraged.

This may look weird, but in which language do you think? At 4 years of age, most children have figured out a basic structure for the language and some words, so I'm curious about "overwriting" a primary language.

I'm a linguist now, so I figure that I can ask these questions now.

Oh, and some American politicians can't "potato".

:D

Archived