Isn't This Cruel? Frog Served Alive At Japanese Restaurant

Peekabooitzme

notforthesqueamishfrogs.jpg
STOMPer Minzy was disturbed by an online video which shows how this super-fresh frog sashimi was actually prepared in front of the customer while the frog was still alive. She felt that this is an extreme act of cruelty to animals.
In the video, the frog is kept alive in a kitchen until someone places an order. The frog is then stabbed by the chef's knife and stripped clean of its inedible innards. However, the frog can be seen twitching and its eyes blinking while served on an iced platter. After the sashimi bits are taken off, the rest of the frog is simmered to make a soup.
The frogs used in this dish are bullfrogs raised specifically for cooking and therefore safe and delish. The restaurant reportedly ships in only about five frogs per day. 
The STOMPer wrote:
"I feel sick watching how the woman could still smile and eat the sashimi while the frog was looking at her.
"I love to eat frog porridge, especially frog legs! I'm fine with eating raw food but I definitely wouldn't want to see the frogs still twitching around on my plate and eventually die before my eyes.
"The poor frog in the video is being tortured alive and made to watch its own innards get ripped and placed on a serving platter. How cruel is that?"

Source: Stomp

Guest Nathalie1430291583

Wow, that's so wrong on many levels. Oh my gosh, I can't believe how people can still sit there and enjoy eating it. What's make it really sad is that the frog's eyes was still twitching even though it was already stabbed and placed on the platter to be eaten. =( 

Guest PingFaun

I think with fish sashimi and lobster sashimi, at least they're not alive! And they don't watch themselves get eaten! It's horrible that the frog was just laying there and it couldn't just... die without the suffering.

Though clear of all his meat and innards, it might just be the nervous system working that still causes twitching in the eyes? I don't know, but still sick on the behalf of the woman eating it.

Eating things fresh and raw has been apart of asian culture for centuries. I don't see any reason to stop/change a tradition over some people who are squirmish about seeing it gutted. We're not killing it and throwing it away. It gets eaten. These animals would probably get eaten in the wild alive also. 

Guest Kerriganton

That is really cruel.
I don't think I can eat something that is starting straight at me while they are still alive.

Guest AngelAngel

But I think frogs' bodies still move shortly after just being killed like s cockroach. The video doesn't really show how they handle it so they might have already killed it and the blinking is just nerves acting up. 

Guest tokurei

for the frog to still be alive after being cut open etc. is pretty impossible, and it moving is most likely just due to the nervous system still twitching,but i would still be incredibly creeped out if it moved when i ate it :c

Guest Kassandrax3

I don't see a problem with this. The movements can be due to the nervous system after death like a lot of other animals. Unless someone can prove definitively that the frog is still alive, with brain activity, I consider this similar to raw octopus legs.

Guest motherducker

Well, (correct me if I'm wrong) it's part of most, if not all, Asian culture to have their customers watch their food be prepared and show how fresh their food is.

That's why the frog is being gutted alive because, well, how fresh can it get if your food is still moving? :/

Although for me, I'd be really creeped out to have my food staring back at me and still moving (which is probably from nerves).

Guest kitty0lover

Thats cruel. I don't mind eating frog. Just at least kill it before you eat it. The frog is still alive.

Chop the head off first at least. Don't want that thing looking at me while I devour it.

I guess I can't have a problem with their culture..but watching that, I felt terrible for the frog, and just watching the guy just peel its skin off -shudders-

Archived