MY SCARY GIRL

sg001.jpg

Other Titles: Sweet Bizarre Lover, My Sweet Yet Brutal Sweetheart

Cast: Park Yong-Woo, Choi Kang-Hee, Jo Eun-Ji

Director: Son Jae-Gon

Genre: Comedy

sgs002.jpg sgs003.jpg sgs004.jpg

{CLICK THUMBS TO ENLARGE}

A timid college lecturer, Dae-woo, who is smart but has never been in love, meets a mysterious but charming woman, Mi-na. With no skills to win a date, he asks her out awkwardly. To his surprise, she accepts. And as a first time lover, he behaves very unnaturally. However, as they fall in love, Dae-woo discovers some disquieting things about Mi-na. Although she claims to be an intellectual and an artist, she has never heard of Crime and Punishment, nor has she heard of Mondrian although one of his paintings hangs in her living room. But Mi-na has even more terrible secrets.

msg005.gifmsg004.gif

What do you get when you mix a Romantic Comedy with a thriller, combining "lovey dovey" scenes involving a couple in love with those of bloody murders?

These seemingly unmatchable ingredients produce hilarious jokes in "My Scary Girl".

At a glance, the movie tries to tell a cliche love story between a naive man and attractive woman, but soon it enjoys a sudden ride of twists and parodies on conventions and formulas too often used in many romantic comedies.

Directed by Son Jae-gon, the movie revolves around Hwang Dae-woo (played by Park Yong-woo), a man in his early 30s, who becomes desperate to find a girl to go out with. He has never been in a relationship with a girl. He is handsome and has a decent job as an English literature professor at university, but the problem is he is cranky, rational _ not the type for romances with the opposite sex.

msg003.gifmsg002.gif

But things change when Lee Mi-na (by Choi Kang-hee) moves into the downstairs apartment, and he bravely asks her out. He is so clumsy at dating that he has to practice telling jokes, but keeps bungling them. But Mi-na becomes attracted to him as she can see the sincerity and kindness hidden deep in his heart.

Although she says she plans to go to Italy to continue her art degree, she doesn't know who Piet Mondrian is, whose work hangs on her bedroom wall. Strange men keep visiting her. She goes out at night carrying a huge bag and spade, and returns home with her pants dirty. What should Dae-Woo do? Should he give up his once-in-lifetime chance to have a girlfriend because of her secrecy?

If you liked the 2002 comedy film "Fun Movie", which parodied popular local movies, you will definitely find this film amusing. Director Son, who wrote the script for Fun Movie, has upgraded his talents with "My Scary Girl". The interesting plot couldn't have been successfully delivered without excellent acting by actors playing the wacky couple. A loud applause for Park, who after playing serious roles in such movies as last year's successful historical piece "Blood Rain", showed his ability to successfully play a different kind of role.

Guest RunIt

awesome movie. refreshingly different and funny. the movie was first made as an experiment with a low budget of $800,000...and ended up making over $16 million at the box office making it the #4 most seen film in korea this year. I highly recommend this movie. its not like my sassy girl, the title doesnt even translate to "my scary girl" but was done for international marketing. it kind of gives my sassy girl a kick to the face...i like. the acting is superb, the kissing and the emotions real, as park yong woo and choi kang hee are not super famous actors/actresses who are limited in kissing/erotic scenes due to their fanbase and fans. and so the film really draws you in and sticks on you. pg-13 friendly, so even all you little girls can watch it and enjoy.

Guest waterboi

this movie is really good! sooo hilarious in the beginning! i'm a bit not satisfied with the ending.. but its a really good movie!

I liked it, was a refreshing change from the long stream of so-so romantic comedies out of Korea lately. The lead couple are really good and have some hilarious scenes together. However, about midway through I started to lose interest. I think the character of the friend/roommate distracted me from the antics of the lead couple and almost completely derailed the film for me. She was just so annoying and of all the rest of the characters, her acting was too over-the-top.

Still, considering the budget and how well it did at the box office, it might be a matter of some of the dialogue being "lost in translation" for me! Definitely rent it if you can!

• 2 weeks later...

awwww ... this movie barely gets talked about here?? anyway, i just finished watching this & really had a good laugh out of it. do check this out. it's a refreshing change from the same boring old romantic comedy/melodrama with top stars.

haha i burst out laughing at the yon sama drawing ..quite an adorable movie .hahha !1 ......be ware of a woman when she has too big a kimchi fridge in her house yet there is no kimchi ..

hahaha ... shirley ... me too. the reference to yon sama was hilarious.

Guest monoceros

ehh, I might take a look at it hmmm.. it seems pretty interesting due to the positive reveiws, i will take a look at this,.. here's some pix to share: glasses.jpg

sunineast.jpgdark.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Greener

This movie is funny for me. It's a strange korean movie. I like the odd character of leading actress.

This role has several dimension in one character. :rolleyes:

• 9 months later...

Archived