[Drama 2012] BIG 빅

the girl who!

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest yellowcake

Even though this ending was technically a happy one (our OTP is together, yay!!), it felt more bittersweet to me than happy. 
I think that halfway through the series, the Hong Sisters lost their footing and weren't sure how they wanted their story to go. They didn't really commit to anything, it feels like. It's cheap of them to repeatedly tease a body swap, and then in the end, IT DOESN'T HAPPEN ANYWAY. I know that we're supposed to believe, thanks to Mari's message to Da Ran, that Yoon Jae and Kyung Joon have returned to their respective bodies, but when you use Gong Yoo to play Kyung Joon post-switch-back, then the whole soul-return-swap is rendered confusing and dissatisfying. And I know I already said this, but I am still sooooo incredibly aggravated that we don't get to see Kyung Joon's face in the reunion scene. WTF is that. 
Also, a major plot point of this story was getting Kyung Joon a happy family. Yet, we never get to see Kyung Joon with his new found family. I wanted to see Kyung Joon with his brother Yoon Jae, I wanted to see Yoon Jae's parents welcoming Kyung Joon to their family, I wanted to see Kyung Joon accepting his new family, especially when we spent so much time harping on this point. But we get no payoff in this regard. Again, I am very aggravated. 
It's such a shame that the writing fell so short on BIG, because otherwise this show would have been the whole package for me: stellar acting on all counts (including Shin Won Ho, he brought so much to Kyung Joon's character in the first episode, I fully believe that he could have risen to the challenge of carrying that last reunion scene), assured directing (sooo many wonderful shots, and I just loved the tone), and a great and appropriately used soundtrack. 
Oh well. Now to look forward to the cast's next projects. I eagerly anticipate what Gong Yoo, Lee Min Jung, Baek Sung Hyun, Shin Won Ho, and Suzy will chose next, and hope that the writing for those projects will be better. There's also the full OST coming out on the 27th! :) Can't wait to hear the three unreleased tracks. 

am happy to see kj/dr get their happy ending in the end. really wish mira/ch would have get to together in the last ep too.
people should not be surprise that kj/yj did not switch body back in the end  cuz this is  Gong Yoo come back drama after all.

Guest Jaejoongsgirl<3

Guess I am not the only who was pissed that I couldn't see Shin Won Ho at the end playing Kang Kyung Joon for even a minute. DAYUM thats what I was waiting for the whole entire episode. Forget episode make it the whole series. OHEMGEEEEEEEEEEEE

And as I was watching the finale, I really wished that Kang Kyung Joon and Seo Yoon Jae would have switched midway through. And than both of them back in their respective bodies. So many plot points could have been played out. After watching this drama I am always going to think of what could have been.

By far my favorite scene in the whole entire show was at the beginning with Kang Kyung Joon and Gil Da Ran under the umbrella so much chemistry so much attraction. The music the cinematography everything was sooo perfect. Thats why I really wanted to see SWH playing KKJ again. If Suzy who is 18 can kiss Gon Yoo who is 34. Which is a 16 year age gap. I don't understand why we can't see Shin Won Ho who is 20 and Lee Min Jung who just turned 30 have one affectionate scene together. We already have an older woman and younger guy love story here already might as well just take it all the way.

If Suzy who is 18 can kiss Gon Yoo who is 34. Which is a 16 year age gap. I don't understand why we can't see Shin Won Ho who is 20 and Lee Min Jung who just turned 30 have one affectionate scene together. We already have an older woman and younger guy love story here already might as well just take it all the way.

Stupid rushed ending. THAT'S WHY I WAS ANGRY OF THE LAME DRAGGING EPISODES. The drama was dragging since episode 10, using lame scenes that were unnecessary. [Like so much scenes or MR's evil tactics, KKJ's uncle's first love, that principal... etc]
They could have used those time to put into more details and descriptive explanations. It's not bad to start with a happy ending in the middle of a drama. Why do they have to drag it to last episode for them two to finally accepted each other?
Haven't you seen Secret Garden,? It's got to be the best drama. The main actor fell in love with the main actress since beginning of episode 1, and it kept on going to episode 20. So many good plot and storyline, it wasn't so boring and confused as "BIG."
Lastly, I ONLY WATCHED THIS BECAUSE OF THE CHEMISTRY BETWEEN LEE MIN JUNG & GONG YOO.Some good writers please cast these two adorable love birds in a drama again. I'm going to miss them like crazy. ;((
Lame storyline, THS should be thankful that YooMin pulled a little rating up for the show. -______-Now I understand why underrated viewership ratings...

Finally the BIG disappointment has come to an end lol . This has to be by far one of the worst korean drama i have seen, it wasnt even funny . Everyone seems to have forgotten all about YJ in KJ body, all anyone was concerned about is seeing KJ in YJ  body. I get this is a drama but the way the hong sisters went about it rubbed me the wrong way , no real answers were given in the end.  YJ is the only one that i didnt hate , he was made to look like a cheat yet we later find out he wasnt , he loved DR more then she ever "loved" him . Poor guy doesnt even get his body back , while hes god knows were his body is being used by his lil bro who is romancing his fiance.   BTW id really appreciate it if people would respect my opinion instead of flagging it . 

Hope to see both LMJ and GY in another drama soon.

Guest gemchan

Agree that the rush ending is so messy :(
 But, since i'd love to see the happy ending with KJ(in GY's body)-DR so i can still accept the ending and enjoy this episode much <3

I think most of viewers think that way too. GY's Kyungjoon is too good for the whole 15 eps (from 2-16) that they can't bring back Shin's Kyungjoon now. it's more awkward to see a young KJ with DR now and for me it's too hard to accept xD

It's a drama after all. Let's just enjoy the fantastic it brings xD

About the rush ending, i think it's half way revised by the writers :-s (THS?)
They kept Shin Won Ho's body and let him sleep in bed for all 15 eps FOR NOTHING.
If they didn't plan the switch up later, they should have let Shin Won Ho's body died from the beginning.
I mean, both YJ and KJ's body is dead.
YJ's soul is dead too.
Only KJ's soul that swapped into YJ's body and made him alive..Then the story of KyungJae that we've been following until now ^^
The ending will be acceptable =)
"A 18 year old boy accidently swap into a 30 year old man and found his real family and love of his life"

To me, BIG is still an awesome drama no matter how messy the plot is. So many memorial beautiful scenes with great acting of Gong Yoo and Min Jung <3
I'm addicted to it and I never regret watching it.
Gong Yoo and Min Jung are so cute together. Hope I can see both of them together in a new drama. My wish <3

Guest rainbow32

I read a recap...not sure I can watch the last episode. Since Kyung Joon never really switched back, that just ruined it for me. It made the drama lose all meaning. What was the point if he never switched back? I didn't like how a lot of the episodes dragged and went around in circles. It was a messy storyline that didn't make sense at times. What kept me watching was Gong Yoo's acting, the hoping for a happy ending for my OTP, and the switch. I felt I was egged on by the switch that never happened. Okay, I'll just stop here...

I joined, because I wanted to get in on the discussion on who was the true OTP, which I was right was Kyung Joon and Da Ran. But I don't feel like they truly got a happy ending since it wasn't Kyung Joon body and soul. But I enjoyed reading everyone's theories, watching the episode previews and the BTS photos trying to make guesses. I also liked the BTS clips and MV videos people made. So thanks everyone! I liked the drama, but I wouldn't say I love it or that it will be a fav. 

Totally knew this was gonna happen.  I mean, GY is the star of the drama, so it is inevitable he be in the final scene.  In the world of Korean dramas, have you ever seen the second lead end up with the main lead?  Gasp... heaven forbid!  That would overshadow the main star!

As much as I liked LMJ and GY's chemistry, I really wanted to see GD and KKJ (played by Shin Won-ho) in the final scene.  The whole point of using the body switching plot is to switch back!  Even if they didn't have a romantic reunion at the end, it still would have been nice for closure to see everyone in their original bodies and characters.

This is exactly like what happened in 49 Days... however, I was more forgiving because it had a solid plot throughout the drama.  So even though I didn't like the ending, I still enjoyed the ride.  But in BIG, the Hong Sisters lost steam and the story just went back and forth without new ideas...  the ambigious ending made it even more unsatisfying.

All in all... I can say I enjoyed the first half of the drama and the solid cast.  GY performed as well as he good (given the storyline) and looking forward to see what his next project will be.

I would have loved  it if they have shown SW with DR im that last umbrella scene then they made another time leap and he grows up as GY (being the real main character) and actually I am expecting a real wedding between DR and KJ. I am always hoping for that since they have not shown YJ-DR's wedding. I thought they are reserving the scene for the OTP. :)

In addition, they should have shown KJ with his family.

I have highly anticipated this drama since I am a HS fan but I would never thought that they will come up with a half baked story.....

:-q 

Guest YUIAyuNamieUtada

According to Softy's recap only 1 year has passed, so it's impossible for KJJ to look like SYJ all of a sudden. That would be pretty creepy lol xD
Just like all of you, I'm upset with the ending. I really loved this drama. When I started to watch it, I watched the first 4 episodes in one go and pulled an all-nighter (I was THAT hooked up!). It really had a lot of potential (I really loved the chemistry between DR and KJJ in episode 1), but then they started to drag the family situation into it and all the happy comedy was gone. Pretty much what happened with Rooftop Prince. I never thought they would drag the switch until the last few minutes of the last episode. For me, it would have been more interesting when they switched back earlier and had the face off between the brothers (how SYJ suddenly was married to DR and how he bought a house, …) instead of the family situation.
Nevertheless, I would have loved the ending if they at least showed the real KKJ in the last minute of the final episode. We know from the text from Mari that they changed back, so why not show his face? If we didn’t know they changed back, I would get it why they didn’t show it (it would be an open ending then). But this is not an open ending, we know they changed back! They could have at least shown his face and his reaction to her love declaration (like “Gil teacher, are you crazy?” or something like that). Even Rooftop Prince had an ending that made much more sense lol xD The ending turned into a big disappointment for me =S
If only they had cut the family situation or had added 2 episodes, then it wouldn’t feel so rushed and incomplete to me. I knew they would have made a time jump, but not so late in the episode. I still remember how surprised I was when in Secret Garden the time jump in the last episode came so early and showed us their lives a bit. That is what makes Secret Garden my favorite drama. Also, I love Gong Yoo, but couldn’t they have done like in Secret Garden and in 49 Days, that you could see the real KKJ from time to time? I feel so sorry to Shin Won Ho for not being able to act that much =/

Archived