[Drama 2012] BIG 빅

the girl who!

I'm into teacher-student relationship <3
Now, read this awesome comment in dramabeans recap of Big Epsiode 4:

rearwindow:

Fabulous recap. You really outdid yourself with the commentary at the end.

(Aaaaand now for some lengthy pseudo-philosophical analysis, lol.)

I also picked up on the exploration of memory and the motif of unreliable memories (or at least, “filtered” memories). This fits so beautifully into the drama’s premise, which is essentially about perception and the contrast between exterior and interior. What happens when our perception does not mesh with reality? When reality is obscured by memory? Or, alternately: what if our perceptions do not mesh with another person’s reality? Does that make them any less true?

This is by far my favorite Hong sisters drama thus far. It just feels so…substantial. It’s hilarious, and charming, and crackworthy, but it also has a thoughtful, almost philosophical vibe to it. And there is such compelling imagery. We have the obvious visual of the angels reaching for each other’s hands which, TBH, I’m getting a little sick of. But this is carried through in more interesting ways with significant hand imagery throughout. Koala, in her blog (link here: http://koalasplayground.com/2012/06/10/kbs-releases-bts-videos-of-the-wedding-bouquet-scene-in-big/) posted some of the hand imagery, and we had even more of it in this last episode.

Big is focused on connection (missed connections, fated connections, connections that seem random but could in fact have occurred because one person was following the other person around…or maybe not) and the extent to which our perceptions of how these connections come to be can alter our relationships. Because of this, hands grasping each other, or just missing each other, or arms stretched out in parallel lines never to intersect are a perfect visual metaphor.

In addition to hand imagery, I’ve noticed an emphasis on reflections and windows, and the alteration of reflections/obscuring of windows (aaaand this is the moment where I wish I could add screencaps in comments). What a way to illustrate the complicated nature of truth and the lenses through which we view each other and the world around us.

I think, whatever comes of it (though I’m suspecting more and more that they are the OTP), Kyung-jae’s relationship with Da-ran is compelling because it is the only relationship not reliant on memories or complicated interpretations of past (or present) events/behaviors. Even when YJ’s soul was in his body, DR was obsessed with the idea of YJ more than the man himself. She didn’t know him, really, so she was left trying to interpret his cryptic behavior (not much different, in fact, from how she’s having to interpret her memory of him and their relationship now that he’s in KJ’s body).

It’s a silly moment played for comedic effect, but even KJ’s technique of using the the transparent-to-opaque walls to shut DR up (and shut her out) is meaningful in that it shows the strength of their connection. YJ had constructed emotional walls around himself when he was interacting with DR (and, I guess, vice-versa), both of which were insurmountable to the couple to the point that they escalated into marriage without knowing for certain whether they even truly *liked* one another; but with KJ, DR simply walks around the literal walls that separate them. This parallels when she tries to create boundaries with KJ regarding the “couple” items that she bought for her and YJ, but quickly abandons those when KJ needs help.

BIG is not just about an 18 year old trapped in the body of 30 year old guy, right? ^_^

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Starlitelet

I agree 100% with everything. I'm so glad someone have the same feelings I have about this drama. When I saw some (quite a lot) comments that people were shipping Yoon Jae and Da Ran or Ma Ri and Kyung Joon I was kind of disappointed. I REALLY don't want to see those pairings together. It would ruin the drama for me and I'm loving everything so far. Oh gosh I'm worried the writers will disappoint me in the end. =((

@jaiwook_08: the comment you posted was so insightful. I noticed the whole hand motif thing but I didn't realise the mirror motifs. Such a good analysis.

I get the reluctance of teacher-student relationships. I'm not against it but I understand how others would be uncomfortable with it. But I can't help finding KJ and DR's relationship so endearing. I also like the transition that KJ goes through - which is evidenced in ep 4 - he went from telling her of YJ's 'apparent cheating' to hiding the truth about the key to save DR from being hurt. That's just so sweet and well, ship-worthy!

A lot of people seem to tie this drama to the likes of 49 Days and Secret Garden. But unlike 49 Days which you find out at the start that Bae Soo Bin has actually been cheating on Nam Gyu Ri, YJ is quite the mystery. You think he's cheating but at the same time, according to DR's memory, he just can't be the cheating kind. So you are left guessing and might I add, impatiently waiting for the next episode to come and maybe provide an explanation for it. I'm not sure which side I'm leaning on - I can't tell what YJ's deal really is .... If he isn't cheating, then what really is his relationship with SY and the key and the general reluctance to proceed with the marriage? Ah, we're all just left guessing.

As for the whole theory of YJ and KJ being related (in some way - brothers/relatives/father and son? urgh), I hope the show doesn't go there. I, too, dislike brothers or relatives going for the same girl. I also hope that the reference from the Turgenev’s novella is not a foreshadowing of some kind. I hope the Hong sisters won't torment me in that way. I had always loved their dramas so please also let this be one to follow suit.

OH. CS and Mari are so hilariously adorkable. I was totally laughing watching Mari stalk KJ.

Now if only Monday would come sooner!

hi guys..

well, i'm totally not against a student/teacher relationship WHY?!!

because first : i believe that love doesn't know age..and i see that in my real life around me..my aunt who married that man who's 7 years younger than her you would be surprise if you knows that he saw her when she was giving his sister private lessons in their home..my aunt is an English teacher but she work as a private tutor sometimes..so they met there..he is 23 and she is 30 !!!!!!!!!!! the age gap is soooo BIG..but they still fall in love and get married..and here they are in their honeymoon..

what i'm trying to say that i'm totally not against this..the young man who love an older woman .....etc..i've watched so many Kdramas +JDramas and ...etc
with the same plot ..and never get bored..i'm a teacher myself and want to have this kind of love with my students which is bad because that's mean that i've been affected with the korean dramas so much..hahahahaha

anyway, from all the dramas i've been watch this one..this Student/teacher relationship..i don't know how to describe this..it's just that THE STUDENT..really seems so young + i totally can't imagine him kissing or hugging DR..!! I know that they are the OTP and they WILL end up together and i'm not lying because i enjoy watching their scenes it's not like i skip their scenes they are lovely and everyone can see that..BUT..in the end..when it turn out that YJ is a good guy..who loves his fiancee..and who was having this hard time because of his family and his job and for trying to find his brother..then him and KJ have their bodies back..what will happen then?!!

when i read what all of you wrote ..you say that you are shipping DR and KJ (in YJ's body ) but what about DR/KJ and DR/YJ ?!!!!
so in the end she will have 2 in 1..?!!!!!!!! even DR and KJ won't like it to end like this..so yeah in the end they will have their bodies back and she will have to choose ..if YJ isn't the bad guy in here..but as so many of you said they wouldn't give us so much DR/KJ and then not making them the end game..
in the end..everyone have their personal taste..i'm not going around and say..why is DR liking her student who almost like her brother?!!
or  ..why KJ doesn't like mari who loves him so much?!!!
or why teacher/student relationship can't happen?
because in my opinion when the story is written there is no place for  WHY..so i will enjoy this drama and enjoy the ride here with you guys..
take it easy because since we are all in here supporting this drama it's okay to say our opinions right?!!

take care ^__^

P.S / a question that just came to my mind..
GY as YJ and KJ's soul..right?!! and Shin won ho as KJ..and our MJ as DR
okay do you believe that when everyone have their bodies back and no one DIE that the hong sisters will make MJ end with shin won ho..instead of GY who suppose to be the lead in here..?!!!!!!!! i really have been think about it..or maybe they will really make KJ stuck in YJ's body forever >___<

i'm out to see Bridal mask..don't miss that drama guys XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

This is my attempt at a translation of the written preview for episode 5.  Disclaimer: I don't actually know Korean; I just parsed this like one does Latin.  I'm including the original text in case others want to correct my mistakes.

Episode 5 written preview from KBS:

슬픔에 다란은 윤재가 일하던 병원으로 찾아가는데... 자신과 찍은 사진이 없어진 다란은 사진을 찾다가 윤재가 끊어놓은 LA 비행기표를 발견하고 윤재가 이별을 준비하고 있었다는 알게된다. 한편 마리는 다란의 약혼자 서윤재 집에 무작정 찾아가는데...

Translation:

Filled with sadness, Da Ran picks up work Yoon Jae was in the habit of doing from the hospital…and although Yoon Jae himself copied the missing photo, before Da Ran goes to search for the photo she lets it go and stops because she locates an LA-bound airline ticket and Yoon Jae’s departure preparations but she will know [what’s going on?].  Meanwhile, Mari thoughtlessly visits the house of Da Ran’s fiancé, Seo Yoon Jae…

hi guys..

well, i'm totally not against a student/teacher relationship WHY?!!

because first : i believe that love doesn't know age..and i see that in my real life around me..my aunt who married that man who's 7 years younger than her you would be surprise if you knows that he saw her when she was giving his sister private lessons in their home..my aunt is an English teacher but she work as a private tutor sometimes..so they met there..he is 23 and she is 30 !!!!!!!!!!! the age gap is soooo BIG..but they still fall in love and get married..and here they are in their honeymoon..

what i'm trying to say that i'm totally not against this..the young man who love an older woman .....etc..i've watched so many Kdramas +JDramas and ...etc

with the same plot ..and never get bored..i'm a teacher myself and want to have this kind of love with my students which is bad because that's mean that i've been affected with the korean dramas so much..hahahahaha

news about our BIG couple =)
“BIG” couple ready to film another CF together
It was reported that our gorgeous BIG couple  will shoot a new Mind Bridge CF together
If you’re an avid fan of Gong Yoo or Lee Min Jung you must know that both are the models ( since 2009 ) of one of the most important clothes brands of Korea : MIND BRIDGE .
Really … I can’t wait to see them modeling again because they are an awesome CF pair 
The photoshoot  will take place on June 19 so stay tuned for pics or details =)
Source : Just Min Jung

Guest anaapenas

*Random comment* OMO Shin Won Ho was in The Bachelor's Vegetable Store. He is the one who cross dressed as snow white. I just watched

vid now and was like o.O How can he look so beautiful even as a girl? HOW? *sighs* this is disturbing.

Hi Everyone,

Big Episodes 3 to 4 English Soft-Sub Subtitles are out.

image-8106_4FC62E71.jpg
Big Episodes 3-4 English Subtitle is a Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project:-

URL: http://www.darksmurfsub.co...big-2012/

Please visit the link for more information about the Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project. CTS Project is about FANS helping FANS for FAST SUBTITLE RELEASE! Enjoy!

Guest mualeena

Omo Omo Omo! Jus got done watching ep 4 and WHAT IF kyung joon is yoon jae's SON??? That's why he has kyung joon's birthday as his password and perhaps he was gonna go to LA to get his son (kyung joon) and that's why he was hesitating and had to tell daran something....OMG....how awkward is that gonna be if yoon jae wakes up to find his son in love with his future wife!

Archived