G.I. Joe: Retaliation

rubie

July 22, 2013
G.I. Joe: Retaliation – Exclusive Blu-ray Preview
Editor CraveOnline.com
You don't just "become" a ninja, you have to work your richard simmons off. And that's what Ray Park did for G.I. Joe: Retaliation, learning new weapons to bring film's epic, silent "Monastery" sequence to life. In this CraveOnline Exclusive behind the scenes preview of the G.I. Joe: Retaliation Blu-ray, Ray Park ("Darth Maul" from Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace) shows off his sais and explains the thought process that went into Snake Eyes' big brawl with his arch-nemesis, Stormshadow.
GI-Joe-Retaliation-Snake-Eyes-Stormshado
GI Joe Retaliation Snake Eyes Stormshadow
From the Press Release: 
G.I. JOE: RETALIATION Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack
The G.I. JOE: RETALIATION Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 7.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.  The DVD in the combo pack is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with English 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.  The combo pack includes access to a digital copy of the film as well as the following:
Blu-ray
· Feature film in high definition
· Commentary by director Jon M. Chu and producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura
· Special Features
o   Mission Briefing—A look at pre-production, previsualization, storyboards and more.
o   Deployment— As filming begins we take a closer look at the stunts, costumes and more.
o   Two Ninjas—Focus on two G.I. JOE favorites, SNAKE EYES and JINX, and the filming of the Dojo sequence.
o   The Desert Attack—An in-depth look at the filming of this pivotal action sequence.
o   COBRA Strikes—Highlights of the villains featured in the film.
o   The Lone Soldiers—Behind-the-scenes as ROADBLOCK, FLINT and LADY JAYE go on the run.
o   The Monastery—An examination of the Himalayan escape sequence.
o   Fort Sumter—An all-access view of the epic climax.
· Deleted Scenes
DVD· Feature film in standard definition

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

July 21, 2013
For your consideration: Cartoonish 'G.I. Joe' sequel offers simple explosive action
Written by Bob Bloom jconline.com
The following Blu-rays and DVDs are being released on Tuesday:
G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Blu-ray + DVD + Ultraviolet + digital copy)
Details: 2013, Paramount Home Entertainment
Rated: PG-13, intense action and martial arts violence, language, sexual situations
The lowdown: The G.I. Joes again battle COBRA and his forces in this cartoonish action-packed popcorn movie.
The film is explosive, with little character development, but plenty of action.
Technical aspects: Blu-ray: 1080p high definition, 2.40:1 widescreen picture; English 7.1 Dolby TrueHD, English audio description track, French, Spanish and Portuguese 5.1 Dolby digital audio; English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles; DVD: 16x9 enhanced widescreen picture; English, French and Spanish 5.1 Dolby digital audio and English audio description track; English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.
Don’t miss: A series of featurettes that look at the pre-production process, the stunts, costumes and settings, the filming of the Dojo sequence, the desert attack, the various COBRA villains, the three main G.I. Joes, the Himalayan escape sequence and Fort Sumter, deleted scenes and a commentary track comprise the bonus offerings.

July 25, 2013
Snake Eyes talks "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" at Martial Arts History Museum
Written by Jesus Figueroa ThisFunktional Blog

DPP_0021.JPG

Showcasing an array of martial arts talent and history "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" launched its DVD/Blu-Ray at the Martial Arts History Museum in Burbank, California today. With an array of talented martial arts instructors showcasing a variety of martial arts forms in the different styles of eastern martial arts.
Ray Park, who plays Snake Eyes in "G.I. Joe," and Jon M. Chu, director of "G.I. Joe: Retaliation," shared their experiences making the film and training for the action scenes.
"It was a huge honor just to meet Ray Park. I've watched all of his movies and I've been a huge fan of his, especially Snake Eyes from the first film," Chu said.
"G.I. Joe: Retaliation" includes incredible action-packed fight scenes some of which allowed Park to fight with Byung-hun Lee, who plays Storm Shadow, and Elodie Yung, who plays Jinx.
"It was great because in all the years I've been working I have gotten to learn different things from different people, great stunt men and great martial artist I have gotten to work with throughout the years and On the first movie I got to learn how to use tonfers and sais. I had never fone that before so I got to execute that in the second movie. It was just awesome to show something I ha never done before. It's nice to practice something differently," Park said.
The fights took so much training and every actor had to put their own time and effort into the film to make it believable.
"Elodie, who plays Jinx, is not really trained in swords. She was literally throwing all her weight behind it," Chu said, "She was frustrated in the beginning. I remember her coming to me saying, 'I can't do that, I don't know swords,' and I told her 'We are going to go shoot somewhere else for two weeks,' we gave her her rubber swords to practice in her apartment with and I said, 'Just make it work, just figure it out,' and when we came back her arms were all ripped, she was confident and ready to go," he said.
The film uses many different styles of martial arts and fuses them together to create a smooth form of fighting for the various characters if the film.
In the Martial Arts History Museum are displayed many of the traditional or popular styles from all around the world. 
The president of the museum Michael Matsuda spoke briefly on each style on display, on the weapons and on the traditional clothing for each style.
The display stood along displays on Samurais, Ninjas and prominent figures that brought martial arts to the United States.
Matsuda said that there is much more in storage and that he hopes that the museum can expand to accommodate everything.
"G.I. Joe: Retaliation" hits stores July 30 on Blu-Ray 3D/Blu-Ray/DVD/Ultraviolet. It comes loaded with director's commentary, deleted scenes and behind-the-scenes featurettes.

July 30, 2013
YoJoe speaks to Jon Chu about G.I.Joe: Retaliation Extended Cut and Third Filmhttp://forums.yojoe.com/news/123522-yojoe-speaks-jon-chu-about-g-i-joe-retaliation-extended-cut-third-film.html

With the Blu-Ray/DVD release of G.I. Joe: Retaliation officially here, I reached out to the film's director Jon Chu to just get some quick words from him in regards to the Extended Action Cut of the film as well as how things are progressing for the third G.I. Joe film.
He was very gracious, and I greatly appreciate him taking the time to speak with us here at YoJoe. The interview is below.
YoJoe.com: With the G.I. Joe: Retaliation Extended Action Cut coming out, do you feel like this is a little closer to your original vision for the theatrical release?
Jon M. Chu: This version has a lot more ninja story and includes the opening Dojo scene that I always loved. This was originally how our movie was suppose to open and how our Snake Eyes/Jinx and Storm Shadow story was suppose to go. Unfortunately when we were cutting the movie together we found that audiences who did not know who Storm Shadow or Snake Eyes was, were confused by being introduced to a ninja in Black then a ninja in white...then the white ninja dressed up in the black ninjas outfit... It was frustrating and we ended up having to hold off the introduction to ninjas to much later in the movie and let our audience get used to our new Joe characters before we got into how Arashikage is part of this world. We also had some really fun RELATIONSHIP stuff between Snake Eyes and Jinx as a mentor and mentee back and forth. He treats her like the little sister and she fights back...eventually she earns his respect and it's a really nice little story that got lost in our final edits of the movie. I am really happy that people who want to, can see it now on the extended Action cut version!
YJ: Obviously you’ve seen your films released in theaters and for home release already, but does G.I. Joe: Retaliation feel a little different? How excited are you to tear open that cellophane and start watching?
JMC: Retaliation definitely feels different because awareness of it was so much higher than any other movie I've done. These kind of movies are really fun at home as well and make great gifts so seeing it front and center at the Target or Walmart is really cool. My other movies were close but not RIGHT next to the cash register. It's also fun to know that a lot more people are going to start to discover it in the next sever months through the holidays. It breaths all new life into something we spent years on making. 
YJ: Some other deleted scenes were included with the home releases that did not make it into the Extended Action Cut either (the Pakistan Presidential assassination, the line about Interns, etc..). Can you shed some light on why those particular scenes weren’t also included in the Extended Action Cut?
JMC: We left the presidential assassination out of the extended action cut because we had already three openings to the movie cut into that one so putting ONE MORE piece of set up felt like it took 25 minutes for our audience to get past set up so we left it out and just kept it as a separate deleted scene. 
YJ: So we know you’ve been tapped to helm G.I. Joe 3 as well as Masters of the Universe. Any idea which of the two films is first up to the plate? Are we going to have to suffer through a guy in furry shorts in theaters before we see more Roadblock and Snake Eyes?!
JMC: As of right now, Joe 3 seems to be the most ready to go and activated. We're getting it together right now and the studio is motivated to make it since the reaction was so great for Retaliation. I am still super passionate about Masters and we've done a ton of work on design and story but we're waiting on the studio to see when they'll be ready to actually pull the trigger fully on it.
YJ: I really enjoyed your interview with Crave Online at ComicCon, and was glad to hear you speak about Scarlett. In an earlier interview, you had mentioned that characters could be kind of swapped out as long as the name stayed intact, with the name serving more as a “title” or a “rank”. In talking with other G.I. Joe fans, this concept really rubbed many of us the wrong way… have you softened your stance on that a bit?
JMC: We have talked about all ways of figuring out how to incorporate different characters that we've met and bringing in new characters as well. Not sure how it'll all shake out but we keep everything on the table as long as it helps our story. 
YJ: If we go back to characters from the Rise of Cobra, can we expect them to represent their same characters? I think the biggest examples would probably be The Baroness or Scarlett… even if the actresses couldn’t come back for whatever reason, I think I speak for most G.I. Joe fans when I say we don’t want Scarlett to just be a title, we want her to be...well.. her. Does that make sense?
JMC: (Laughs) Yes that makes sense. However who knows where the Scarlett we know and love came from. Was the Scarlett from ROC only a prequel to who Scarlet from the Comic books was? Was it her sister? Her mother? Who knows. All Im saying is that Scarlett is bigger than a name. She is a full character that played a very important role in the Joes and would love to have that character back in some way even if it's not in the next movie or the next one. And however we can do that, I think should be on the table. 
YJ: In Retaliation, there were some seeds planted for Extensive Enterprises (one of the news vans had their logo)… do you see that developing into a large part of this cinematic G.I. Joe universe?
JMC: You never know
Again, I want to thank Mr. Chu for taking time out of his busy schedule to speak with us and for being such a generous and excited ambassador for the fandom. We all wish him the best of luck, and I think I speak for all of us when I say how excited I am to see what takes shape for G.I. Joe 3!

August 8, 2013
DVD ReviewsG.I. Joe: Retaliation – Blu-ray Review
By Patrick Luce M&C
In this sequel, the G.I. Joes are not only fighting their mortal enemy Cobra; they are forced to contend with threats from within the government that jeopardize their very existence.For everyone who rolled their eyes even as they were secretly digging 2009\'s G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra as a guilty pleasure (not to mention giving it big box-office clout), this rejiggered sequel will probably prove irresistible. Hasbro and Hollywood 
In this sequel, the G.I. Joes are not only fighting their mortal enemy Cobra; they are forced to contend with threats from within the government that jeopardize their very existence.For everyone who rolled their eyes even as they were secretly digging 2009\'s G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra as a guilty pleasure (not to mention giving it big box-office clout), this rejiggered sequel will probably prove irresistible. Hasbro and Hollywood ...more G.I. Joe: Retaliation is a silly action film that simply asks its audience to turn the brain completely off so that it can have a good time. If you do that, the film is a blast to watch and is filled with enough action sequences and corny one-liners to be worthy of the toy line and comics that inspired it. The film fixes everything that was wrong with the first outing, and leaves you possibly wanting another.
Based on the Hasbro's G.I. Joe toy line, G.I. Joe: Retaliation was directed by Jon M. Chu with a screenplay from Zombieland’s Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick. It stars Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Bruce Willis, D.J. Cotrona, Byung-hun Lee, Adrianne Palicki, Ray Park, Jonathan Pryce, Ray Stevenson, and Channing Tatum - in a very limited role.
The film opens with a brief recap of 2009’s G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, but thankfully uses little elements from that film.  Led by Duke (Tatum) and his friend Roadblock (Johnson), the Joes have become the "go to" team for the President in matters of national security. The audience is introduced to how well the Joes works as the team, which includes Flint (D.J. Cotrona) and Lady Jaye (Adrianne Palicki), as they complete a mission in North Korea before being tasked to retrieve nuclear warheads in Pakistan.
Unfortunately for the Joes, the President (Pryce) isn't who he appears to be and is actually the dreaded Zartan (Vosloo) - who is still working for Cobra. Zartan manages to frame the Joes for stealing the warheads, and orders an airstrike to take them all out. He also tasks Storm Shadow (Lee) and Firefly (Stevenson) to free Cobra Commander (Luke Bracey) from his underground prison.
Roadblock, Flint and Lady Jaye survive the attack and start their plans to get back to the U.S. to get revenge. Snake Eyes (Park) goes back to the Arashikage Clan and is tasked by Blind Master (RZA) to bring the injured Storm Shadow back so he can answer for the murder of Hard Master. Snake Eyes is also joined by Jinx (Elodie Yung).
The film then divides its story with Roadblock and company heading back to the U.S. to discover who was behind the attack on the Joes and Snake Eyes traveling into the mountains for a showdown with Storm Shadow.
The film basically moves from action sequence to action sequences with a thin story and short dialogue moments to keep the plot moving. Roadblock and company discover the President’s true identity and seek the help of original Joe General Joseph Colton (Willis), who is now retired but still well armed. The always chatty Snakes Eyes takes on a ton of ninjas to deliver Storm Shadow back to Blind Master. The film stalls a tad as the two characters backstory is again shown and the truth of Storm Shadow's betrayal revealed.
The two teams of Joes reunite for the film’s final action sequence as they take on Cobra Commander and his forces to stop him from getting control of the world’s nuclear weapons.
Without a doubt, G.I. Joe: Retaliation is a silly movie and has problems. It is also a blast to watch and does a great job distancing the franchise from the Joes first outing – which was too campy even for a film based on a toy.
The film greatly benefits from the presence of Johnson and the natural charisma he brings to the screen. The actor fits into the franchise perfectly, and helps the audience stay entertained between the action sequences during the short moments of plot and dialogue. His interactions with Tatum were great and got you hooked on the film in the opening moments. Tatum’s early exit hurts the film, and you can’t help but wonder how much stronger a film it could have been if the actor had a larger role (despite his part already being expanded).
Regardless of the actors and their level of talent, the real stars of G.I. Joe: Retaliation are the action sequences and Chu manages to capture what fans of the G.I. Joe comics/animated series/toy line want – ninjas and massive explosions! Storm Shadow’s capture in the mountain is simply incredible to watch and you literally feel tired by the time it is over. The final battle features The Rock and a tank. Do I need to say more? Oh and Bruce Willis does his thing too.
Along with looking and sounding great on Blu-ray, the film comes loaded with bonus material that includes commentary from Chu and producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura; various looks at how the movie made it to the screen; looks at the film's stunts; and deleted scenes.
G.I. Joe: Retaliation was a step in the right direction for the Joes film franchise, and manages to keep the audience entertained from start to finish. It has some problems, but Joes fans will find plenty to love with this entry. Personally, I am looking forward to a third film.

• 2 weeks later...

August 13, 2013
'G.I. Joe: Retaliation' tops movies-on-demand list
UPI News Service via Reality TV World
"G.I. Joe: Retaliation," starring Dwayne Johnson and Bruce Willis, is the No. 1 movie-on-demand in the United States, Rentrak announced.
Coming in at No. 2 on the roster for the week ending Aug. 4 is "42," followed by "Identity Thief" at No. 3, "Admission" at No. 4 and "Evil Dead" at No. 5.
Rounding out the top tier are "Bullet to the Head" at No. 6, "The Call" at No. 7, "Spring Breakers" at No. 8, "Tyler Perry's Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor" at No. 9 and "Emperor" at No. 10.

August 12, 2013
'GI Joe: Retaliation' tops DVD sales and rental charts
UPI.com LOS ANGELES, Aug. 12 (UPI) -- "GI Joe: Retaliation" is the top-selling DVD and Blu-ray and No. 1 rental in the United States, Rentrak announced Monday.
Coming in at No. 2 on the DVD and Blu-ray sales roster for the week ending Aug. 4 is "42," followed by "Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox" at No. 3, "Despicable Me" at No. 4 and "Teen Beach Movie" at No. 5.
Rounding out the top tier are "Evil Dead [2013]" at No. 6, "Tyler Perry's Temptation" at No. 7, "Oz the Great and Powerful" at No. 8, "Jack the Giant Slayer" at No. 9 and "A Good Day to Die Hard" at No. 10.
The No. 2 rental for the week ended Aug. 3 is "Identity Thief."
"Jack the Giant Slayer" is No. 3, "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" is No. 4, "A Good Day to Die Hard" is No. 5, "The Call" is No. 6, "Dead Man Down" is No. 7, "Oz the Great and Powerful" is No. 8, "21 & Over" is No. 9 and "Evil Dead [2013]" is No. 10.

August 13, 2013
GI Joe: Retaliation – Now On DVD | Review
By Brady Hanson News for Shoppers
521655_10151225087521503_745639934_n.jpg

Welcome back GI Joe fans and fanatics.
The latest installation of the series is now available on DVD and you, my friends, are capable of going out (yes outside) and getting your very own copy of the movie.
Before doing so though, you might want to know some information about the movie.
Is Channing Tatum back? Yes, he’s back and is Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson who actually looks like his arms are going to explode.
Something else you might want to know: the movie is amazing and has a tremendous amount of CGI scripting done in it, which only adds to the beauty of the gadgets we’ve all grown to love the GI Joe franchise for.
This high action, high paced and very advanced movie is one of the best action films I’ve seen this year. I’m not only saying that because I’m a huge fan and supporter of the franchise. I’m actually being honest. The movie rocks.
Of course it’s a GI Joe movie, so don’t expect to jump in and understand all the background stories behind the characters if you are unfamiliar with the long story. The movie is understandable for those new to the series.
The movie received some backlash because of the way that the story is written, and also there has been some criticism of the acting.
Personally, I never thought “The Rock” was a good actor, and if you think that he should be, you’re thinking the wrong thing. Dwayne Johnson is placed in films because he’s jacked, can act half decently and doesn’t require a double to perform combat scenes since he’s already trained in the area of hand to hand.
If you think Channing Tatum should be a good actor, once again, you shouldn’t. Tatum is placed in movies for girls to awe over, quite literally, he’s only around for the same reason he was in “Magic Mike”. To get women to come to the theaters and pay money to see him on the big screen.
Aside from some minor acting difficulties, the overall movie is jam packed with action and fight scenes.
The gadgets that are used in the movie are nothing like I have ever seen portrayed in any Sci-Fi action flick either.
There are a lot of things in the movie that make up for the lack of acting talent. For one, Bruce Willis makes an appearance, that should already be enough acting for you to watch the movie. Willis does a very good job with his character, which is only a minor role in the movie.
The movie is great, I enjoyed it and so did the people I watched it with.
I think that anyone who enjoys explosions, loud noises and lots of hand to hand fighting would love this movie. The fight scenes are choreographed very well and the fluidity in the movements of the fighting is excellently executed.
If you’re a fan of anything related to fighting, shooting, blowing stuff up, or Bruce Willis that you’ll enjoy this film without a doubt.

• 4 weeks later...

September 10, 2013
‘Snow White and the Huntsman’ Screenwriter To Pen ‘G.I. Joe 3′
by Kellvin Chavez Latino-Review.com
According to The Hollywood Reporter, “Snow White and the Huntsman” screenwriter Evan Daugherty has been hired of write the third installment of Paramount and Hasbro’s G.I. Joe franchise.
“G.I. Joe: Retaliation” director Jon M. Chu is already signed on to return to the director’s chair. Retaliation, released earlier this year, grossed $371 million worldwide.
Details of Daugherty’s take or plot were not revealed.
Lorenzo di Bonaventura is producing. Daugherty already worked with Paramount, having been called on a last-minute rewrite on Ninja Turtles, the studio’s new big-screen take on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Source: THR

September 10, 2013
'GI Joe 3' to be written by 'Snow White and the Huntsman' scribe
By Tom Eames Digital Spy
GI Joe 3 has been confirmed by Paramount Pictures.
Jon M Chu will return as director after making the previous instalment GI Joe: Retaliation, which was released earlier this year.
Snow White and the Huntsman scribe Evan Daugherty will write the screenplay for the third film.
Despite mixed reviews, the second GI Joe movie grossed $371 million worldwide, with 2009's Rise of the Cobra having taken $302m.
Dwayne Johnson, Bruce Willis and Channing Tatum were among the stars of the second movie, but no casting details have been confirmed for GI Joe 3.
Daugherty recently provided Paramount with a last-minute rewrite on Ninja Turtles, the studio's upcoming adaptation of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from Michael Bay.

September 10, 2013
'G.I. Joe 3' Will Be Penned By 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Writer Evan Daughtery
By eelyajekiM Geeks of Doom Briefly: Since being confirmed to return to direct another installment of the G.I. Joe movie franchise, Jon M. Chu has been hard at work finding a writer to come up with a script for the film. That search has ended with Chu choosing Snow White and the Huntsman writer Evan Daughtery.
Daughtery may not be a household name, but he is climbing up the ranks. Aside from writing Huntsman, the screenwriter has also penned the scripts for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot for Paramount and Platinum Dunes, the upcoming Divergent starring Shailene Woodley, and the De Niro/Travolta starring vehicle Killing Season.
Little is known about the third G.I. Joe film, but Lorenzo di Bonaventura stated that he did want to see more ninja story in the sequel.
While the first two films weren’t critical successes, they were financial ones. Both films grossed more than $300 million worldwide. So like it or not, we are getting another G.I. Joe.
[source: Heat Vision]

September 18, 2013
G.I. JOE: RETALIATION Blu-ray Review
by Brad McKay Collider.com
Large explosions, death-defying aerobatics, flashing gunfire, and buff people talking about stuff in dramatic fashion. G.I. Joe: Retaliation gives audiences exactly what they’re expecting—nothing more, and nothing less—which can be a good thing.
G.I. Joe: Retaliation picks up where the first movie left off, with Duke (played by Channing Tatum) leading the elite fighting force in a number of missions against their hated foe, COBRA. While celebrating some much deserved downtime, the Joes are attacked by a squadron of COBRA helicopters and ground units, and are killed almost to a man, save for a few survivors. On the verge of eradication and marked as terrorists by their government, the Joes must uncover the face of their attackers and once again save the world’s governments from being overtaken by the diabolical Cobra Commander.  Hit the jump for my full review of G.I. Joe: Retaliation on Blu-ray.
With a cast that includes action icons such as Bruce Willis, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, and Adrianne Palicki, it doesn’t take much to figure out what kind of movie this is. The Joes hit their opponents with hardcore weaponry and insanely quick martial arts attacks, blow up everything in their general vicinity, and crack a few jokes in between battles.
It’s a movie that doesn’t take itself too seriously, which honestly works to its favor. After all, we’re talking about a film based off of an action figure line with such stars as Sergeant Slaughter and Firefly. There are half-hearted attempts to give some of the characters some depth—such as Roadblock and Jaye’s trips down memory road with stories of drama and sadness—but for the most part, the movie’s all about action. When General Joe Colton (Bruce Willis) is brought into the fold, there’s no ceremony or needless back story, just a very quick (and somewhat cheesy) introduction, and it’s back to the action. Viewers may not get an epic war pic that brings to light the trauma of combat, but they don’t get a pretentious or outlandish film either; just pure, fun action.
The film’s straightforward direction is largely fed by the cast. The actors expertly play their roles, creating characters that are interesting enough to be interesting to audiences, but aren’t burdened with over-the-top attempts to make them something they’re not. Dwayne Johnson’s Roadblock is a beastly combatant and take-no-prisoners leader, and Adrianne Palicki’s Jaye is a balanced mix of action vixen and serious soldier. Bruce Willis is in his safe zone as Joe Colton; his speech is a bit flat, and he doesn’t add much to the conversation, but he packs a heavy punch and plenty of firepower. It’s the cast’s take on their characters that saved the film from being the cheese-fest that was The Rise of Cobra, along with Director Jon M. Chu’s more grounded storytelling.
The disc itself mirrors the film; it’s about as bare bones as can be. While the box does contain a blu-ray and DVD version of the film (as well as a digital copy), the special features are about as common as can be. The blu-ray disc contains a few deleted scenes and a one-hour behind-the-scenes featurette, along with some commentary by the director, but it’s the same kind of material one can find on just about any modern disc.
While it certainly won’t beat out any classic action flicks, G.I. Joe: Retalation can be an entertaining movie if audiences don’t expect too much out of it. The plot’s as basic as can be, the characters are one-dimensional, and the battle scenes are neither explosive nor boring, but that works to the movie’s favor. There’s no reason to overthink the scenes; just sit back and enjoy the predictable plot and safe, yet fun action sequences.
Movie: C, Disc: C

• 2 months later...

December 16, 2013
Channing Tatum's Duke Resurrected For G.I. JOE 3?
By nailbiter111 ComicBookMovie.com l GeneralJoes.com

G.I. Joe: Retaliation director, Jon M. Chu ("Justin Bieber: Never Say Never"), was recently interviewed by MTV News, and was asked if Channing Tatum's Duke, who died in the last film, could return for the third live-action G.I. Joe. Check it out.
In Jon M. Chu's G.I. Joe: Retaliation, the President of the United States (played by Jonathan Pryce), who is actually Zartan in disguise orders the United States military to kill the Joes. During the ambush Duke (played by Channing Tatum) is blown to smithereens while trying to get Flint (played D.J. Cotrona) to safety. So, that should be all for Duke, right? Maybe not. Jon M. Chu recently signed on to direct the next G.I. Joe film tells MTV News there is a shot Duke might rise from the grave. 
"You never know. Storm Shadow died in the first one and came back in the second one, and then other characters have died and never come back. The G.I. Joe world, the best thing about it is you never know who's coming back and who's not." - MTV News
December 14, 2013
Costume Designs For G.I. JOE: RETALIATION & G.I. JOE: THE RISE OF COBRA
Source: CCM l Christian Cordella
Costume illustrator Christian Cordella ("Iron Man 2"), worked on Jon M. Chu's G.I. Joe: Retaliation and Stephen Sommers' G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. 
stormshadow_christiancordella.jpg

December 18, 2013
Adrianne Palicki confirms G.I. Joe 3 return
Source: Xposé Entertainment
698856_636x357.jpg

Adrianne Palicki says she will return for 'G.I. Joe 3'.
The 30-year-old actress starred alongside Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson in action blockbuster 'G.I. Joe: Retaliation' earlier this year and she has confirmed she will reprise her role as femme fatale Lady Jaye in a third film.
Paramount has yet to announce a release date for the third film and it's not yet known whether director Jon M. Chu will return to helm the follow-up.
Palicki confirmed the news to IGN, adding that her role in the film has led to her being inundated with offers for similar action movies.
She said: ''I think it's hard to find females who can do the action stuff and I think that when people see somebody ... there are only like three or four [actresses] who are in all that stuff, because it's like once people see that they can do it, they put them in a lot of things. So yes, I definitely get a lot of scripts for action films.''
However, the 'Friday Night Lights' star admits she worries about being typecast as an action heroine.She added: ''I love doing it. I love doing my own stunts. I'm one of those crazy people ... but it's a fine line because you don't want to get pigeon-holed. That's why I try to do comedies or even a little independent film, just to stay above board - to keep it real, and to keep me from getting injured once in a while! I'm 30 and I feel like I'm 57 years old!''

December 24, 2013
Director John Chu Offers An Update On The Status Of G.I. JOE 3
The G.I. Joe: Retaliation director discusses working on the third film, offering a vague update on when he believes shooting will begin and also comments on those recent reports about 22 Jump Street star Channing Tatum making a return. Check it out!
By TwistedKingdom ComicBookMovie.com
G.I. Joe: Retaliation director Jon M. Chu recently sat down with ComingSoon.net and the subject turned to the third "G.I. Joe" film. Says Chu... 
"I love being active in world-building, so we're working on "G.I. Joe 3" right now. We're designing tons of stuff, which takes a little bit, but to me, that's obviously where I like to push myself and where I want to be for a long time and get to know better...I'm excited to bring in new characters and fun things beyond Bruce and Dwayne that we're working on and some great villains, but we're forming those ideas now. I'm really excited - it's going to be a whole ‘nother level."
Chu also addressed the rumors on Channing Tatum's possible return saying...   

"It all gets carried away again. They asked me about Channing and I don't know. You never know in these movies, and that's all I said, and suddenly it became "Channing Tatum might be back." To me, every possibility is open and we're writing the script right now and we're figuring everything out. It's an extremely low possibility when you kill somebody like that, it's pretty much it, but you never know with "G.I. Joe." We did that with Storm Shadow, too."

December 26, 2013
Dwayne Johnson and Bruce Willis to Return for "GI Joe 3"
by WorstPreviews.com Staff
headline28428.jpg

A few days ago, "GI Joe: Retaliation" director Jon Chu hinted that Channing Tatum may return for the third "GI Joe" installment. In a new interview, the helmer tried to clarify his statements.
SPOILERS AHEAD:
"They asked me about Channing and I don't know. You never know in these movies, and that's all I said, and suddenly it became 'Channing Tatum might be back,'" he explained. "To me, every possibility is open and we're writing the script right now and we're figuring everything out. It's an extremely low possibility when you kill somebody like that, it's pretty much it, but you never know with 'GI Joe.' We did that with Storm Shadow, too."
While it sounds like he has no idea about Tatum, Chu went on to confirm that Dwayne Johnson and Bruce Willis will be back. "I'm excited to bring in new characters and fun things beyond Dwayne Johnson and Bruce Willis that we're working on and some great villains, but we're forming those ideas now," he said. "I think we're going to be shooting next year. We're pretty motivated to get that up."
The plan is to have "GI Joe 3" in theaters in 2016. 
Source: ComingSoon

January 2, 2014
Jon M. Chu On Dropping Out Of HE-MAN
G.I. Joe: Retaliation director Jon M. Chu on why he had to drop out of the He-Man & The Masters of the Universe live-action movie. "It was timing. We did so much for Masters, and the script is awesome."
By Mark Julian ComicBookMovie.com
Director Jon M. Chu spoke with Collider to promote his Justin Bieber documentary film, Believe but also touched on G.I. Joe 3 and He-Man & The Masters of the Universe. Chu recently left the director's seat on the He-Man adaptation and shared the reasoning behind that decision, stating, "It was timing. We did so much for Masters, and the script is awesome. I love that project. I would have loved to do it. The problem with Joe is that we have a specific timeline and I need to be on that timeline. Masters wasn’t ready to go, at that moment. And I have a loyalty to G.I. Joe. I don’t feel like I’ve fulfilled the promise I gave, to bring everything I love about Joe to the script. I feel like we did a lot of foundational stuff. We cleared the way. We brought the movie back to life, but at the same time, there’s so much more to do, to make it even better. I learned a lot on the last one, and I want to put that into practice and make this one even better, and make it have life for many, many movies in the future, whether I’m doing them or not." 
On the next installment in the Joe franchise, Chu stated, " It’s definitely not about making it bigger ‘cause we went pretty big last time and it didn’t necessarily make it better...I think it’s more about being creative with it and giving the audience something different and new. We’ve had two G.I. Joes now, in two very different ways, and we have to take the lessons that we learned with those two to try to make the best Joe possible. I love G.I. Joe because it’s about heroes. It’s very classic storytelling. There are villains and there are heroes, and there are human beings in the middle of it all, and they have to make choices about their life to become the hero. They have to sacrifice, they have to risk themselves, and they’re fighting for something. I love that it has classic storytelling. I always try to bring that back and try to make it simpler. It doesn’t have to be big, but you have to have more creative fighting and simpler storytelling, so you can enjoy it."

• 5 months later...

June 24, 2014
Di Bonaventura confirms that Chu is out of G.I. Joe 3 – Filming begins 2015
Posted by Justin GeneralJoes
On the promotional tour for the latest Transformers blockbuster, Lorenzo Di Bonaventura (who also produces the G.I. Joe films) was asked about the current status of G.I. Joe 3 by the folks at Collider. He confirmed earlier rumors from Dwayne Johnson that filming would begin in early 2015, and even more than that, fully put to bed the question of whether or not Jon Chu was returning to direct the third film.
Speaking of the directing efforts, Di Bonaventura said:

[size=2]

[/size][size=2]

“We’re just starting [to talk to directors]. We’re negotiating with a writer right now, and once we close that deal—which should be any moment—then we’ll have a story locked down. I’m really excited about it.”

[/size][size=2]

[/size]

• 6 months later...

Archived