G.I. Joe: Retaliation

rubie

March 6, 2013
G. I. Joe: Retaliation Campaign In Mexico
by BCYOJOE HissTank.com
A clip posted on You Tube features a campaign carried out to promote G. I. Joe: Retaliation in Mexico.
The campaign brings the battle between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow into crowded areas.
Check it out…

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

March 6, 2013
A Message From G. I. Joe: Retaliation Production Designer
by BCYOJOE HissTank.com
HISSTANK Boards Member TheGabrielAngel is forwarding a message to our HISSTANK Members from the G. I. Joe: Retaliation Production Designer; Andrew Menzies. You’ve seen his masterful work before, now it’s time to hear what he has to say to us fans…
"Looking forward to seeing the film. I'm sure the 3D version will be worth the wait. Jon, the director, is a master of 3D and has been working extremely hard to make it the best it can be. My hats off to the guy for staying so focused on one project for so long. He is a Joe fan too so it means allot to him. 
I'd love to hear feedback, good and bad, from the fans when it comes out. I guess it'll be on the discussion forum. Any criticism is good for improving and honing my skills for the future."
Also, Mr. Menzies did not forget to share what he knows about G. I. Joe 3 and a very close look at Cobra Commanders new Helmet (attached with this post):
Regarding other iconic characters… "Hopefully Fans will get all that in GI Joe 3. I know the studio really want to listen to what the fans have to say."
We would like to express our gratitude to Andrew Menzies; who had clearly done a spectacular job with G. I. Joe: Retaliation and wishes him a great future ahead. 
Also, thanks should go out to our member TheGabrielAngel; who will always be with us bringing never-before-seen content to G. I. Joe fans. 
Cobra-Commander_zpse5e645e6.jpg

March 9, 2013
Dir. Jon Chu Arrived in Seoul for Press Conference & Worldwide Premiere on March 11
Thanks to youyo712 for the clip highlight. Seems that only Dir. Jon Chu arrived today.
https://twitter.com/jonmchu l 

1362823901_478481.jpg

20130309_jc.jpg
20130309_jc1.jpg

March 10, 2013
G. I. Joe: Retaliation All Set For The Korean Premiere
by BCYOJOE HissTank.com
Tomorrow is a great day for G. I. Joe fans of Korea; March 11th is the day they are going to meet the celebrities and enjoy the Premiere of G. I. Joe: Retaliation. 
Director Jon M. Chu and the cast of the movie left the country yesterday to attend the Premiere. The director tweeted the following:

"Korea!!!!! R U READY for #GIJoeRetaliation ?!!!!! I'm in the air flying to you now with the movie in hand!!! Can't believe we're doing this!""I feel like Dr Evil in this chair... Muah ahahahaha #Korea #gijoeretaliation

"

March 10, 2013
Actress Adrianne Palicki and actor D.J. Cotrona landed at the Incheon International Airport on Sunday, arriving in Seoul to participate in the GI Joe: Retaliation press conference and world premiere.
Source: Nate ++
20130310_1362910708_27936900_1.jpg
20130310_1362910603_10320900_1.jpg

20130310190308500.jpg

201303101854311810_1.jpg

March 11, 2013
Lee Byung-hun returns as Storm Shadow in 'G.I. Joe' sequel
By Shim Sun-ah YonhapNews
SEOUL, March 11 (Yonhap) -- South Korean actor Lee Byung-hun said Monday that he felt more comfortable acting in "G.I. Joe: Retaliation," a movie set to open in local theaters late this month, than in the series' first installment because he did not have to wear a mask as much in the sequel.
   "There were many scenes in the first volume of the movie where I wore a mask. In the sequel, I acted mostly without wearing one. I felt more comfortable this time as an actor because I was able to express my emotions without limitations," Lee said during a news conference in Seoul to promote the film.
   A sequel to the 2009 film, "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" is about the world's elite Special Forces unit, G.I.Joe, whose very existence comes under threat due to a plot by the ruthless Cobra Commander. With the assistance of General Joe Colton, the G.I. Joe are prepared to fight tooth and nail to defeat the enemy and save the country.
 PYH2013031104370001300_P2.jpg
In the sequel, Lee reprised his role as the villainous ninja named "Storm Shadow," but his character undergoes a transformation as his unknown past is disclosed.
   "Storm Shadow may look more and more cynical and icy outwardly. But in the sequel, there are scenes in which he explores his innermost feelings of resentment. I tried hard to show the emotional side of the character and think about what would be the main changes within Storm Shadow that we'll see in the new film."
   Lee attended the news conference together with the movie's director John Chu, co-stars Dwayne Johnson, D. J. Cotrona and Adrianne Palicki.
   "A lot of the character of Storm Shadow came from Lee Byung-hun himself. He brought a lot of humanity to what could have been just a cartoon," Chu said.
   The filmmaker said the movie will satisfy Lee's fans across the world for he receives more screen time than in the first volume.
   "Worldwide audiences wanted to see more ninja fights, wanted to see more Storm Shadow and wanted to see more battles between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, so we definitely had that in mind in creating this film. And I think that it will satisfy a lot of ninja fans out there and Lee Byung-hun fans that we accommodated them."
   "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" is set to open in local theaters on March 28.
1362977065_11113446-1.jpg

March 11, 2013
'G.I. Joe 2' Director Jon Chu Says Lee Byung Hun Gave Storm Shadow Life
 CJ E&M enewsWorld An So Hyoun Translation Credit : Erika Kim
Jon Chu didn′t hide his affection for Lee Byung Hun.
The director appeared at the press conference for G.I. Joe 2 held on March 11, and said that though Storm Shadow could have remained as a mere character, Lee Byung Hun managed to give it life.
20130311213513557.jpg
He also explained that fans who had wanted a battle between Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes would be satisfied with the scene, and joked that the film would be a great chance for fans to see Lee Byung Hun′s perfect six pack in 3D.
Jon Chu is popular for his work with the Step Up series, and this time tried his hand at action with G.I. Joe 2.
G.I. Joe 2 will premiere on March 28.
201331121325ojt2_T5_40872.jpg
20133112132606z7_T5_40873.jpg
20130311_1363004026..jpg
20130311_1363003987_24360100_1.jpg
20130311213124503.jpg
20130311213319412.jpg

March 12, 2013
G.I. JOE 2: RETALIATION Press Event Held with Jon M. Chu and Main CastLee Byung-hun Says "Please Support My Hollywood Film"
by Ji Yong-jin KOBIZ
    20130311_retaliate_rc.jpgThe press conference of G.I. Joe 2: Retaliation was held on the morning of March 11th at a hotel in Yoido, Seoul. Actor Lee Byung-hun said, "in the first G.I. Joe, Storm Shadow was wearing a face mask most of the time so I had to express my emotions through my eyes and body gestures but in the second G.I. Joe, I had the chance to act without the mask, making it easier to express my emotions."
20130311_bh_rc.jpgHe added, "In this film, various things about Storm Shadow will be revealed. He is a cynical character as he had to live for a long time with many false accusations. In the second G.I. Joe film, his secrets come to the surface and he has an emotional catharsis. I tried to show his hot side rather than his cool, cynical side."
When asked if he expects the film to do well, he said, "I heard that the market share of Korean films in Korea is over 80% and Korean cinema is enjoying its heyday. I hope Koreans will love this Hollywood film starring a Korean actor. I appear more in this film and I was happy with many of the close-ups. I hope that the Korean audience will feel the same."
Director Jon Chu said, "Lee put humanity into the cartoon character of Storm Shadow. There were many good scenes thanks to him. Dwayne Johnson said "Lee showed charismatic acting in the opening action scene. His acting comes from deep within. I was especially impressed by how hard he tries to get his body into excellent shape."

March 12, 2013
Becoming ‘Storm Shadow’ in HollywoodActor Lee Byung-hun talks about making of his second Hollywood film ‘G.I. Joe 2’
By Claire Lee The Korea Herald

Director Park Chan-wook has been there, and so has director Kim Jee-woon. Hollywood may not be an undiscovered place for Korean directors as of this year: They’ve made their debut films there, released them, and experienced the red-carpet glamour. 
Hollywood, however, still remains foreign to most local actors. One of the few exceptions is top actor Lee Byung-hun, whose performance in his 2009 Hollywood debut “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” left a mark. 
The actor is now ahead of the opening of the sci-fi flick’s sequel, “G.I. Joe 2: The Retaliation,” where he returns as Storm Shadow ― the famous heroic character who works as a ninja bodyguard doing epic stunts. Lee, who enjoyed much success with the Korean period drama “Masquerade” released last year ― the film remains the third-highest grossing Korean film of all time ― says it was his “curiosity” that drew him to Hollywood. 
20130312000982_0.jpg
Actor Lee Byung-hun poses for a photo prior to a group interview with the local press in Seoul on Monday. (1st Look)
“It was more of curiosity (than ambition),” said the 42-year-old actor during a group interview with the local press in Seoul on Monday. 
“Even after my second movie, I am still curious. I still wonder what I can actually offer in Hollywood and how much farther I can go with my career there. I’m up for new challenges and opportunities.”
Shooting his second Hollywood film required a number of things, including mastering every script line in perfect American English and getting used to the Hollywood filmmaking system ― which is vastly different from the one in Korea. 
Both directors Park and Kim have shared their difficulties getting used to the system, which they experienced while shooting “Stoker” and “The Last Stand,” respectively. Unlike the Korean film industry, where all the crew members work on the set until the director is satisfied with the shoots, working in Hollywood strictly requires start and finish, each day’s work is done on time. Director Kim said the experience was “lonely” and “extremely challenging.” Lee said it was “efficient but intimidating sometimes.”
“Director Park and Kim were all in the U.S. while I was shooting this film,” said Lee. 
“Both of them would often text me (when they were frustrated) and say, ‘I am going nuts’ or ‘I could just pack everything and go home now.’ I’d giggle whenever I received the texts. 
“But seriously speaking, I think getting used to the system must have been much harder for them than it was for me. From what I’ve seen, being a film director in Korea is just totally different from being a film director in Hollywood.”
Unlike Park Chan-wook and Kim Jee-woon, Lee got himself out there without an interpreter. Throughout the shooting process, he communicated with all of the U.S. crew members without any help from a third party. Director Jon Chu, who worked with Lee on the film, in fact said the actor surprisingly spoke “perfect English.”
“I remember him coming into the project and everyone was like, ‘Oh, he doesn’t speak that much English,’” Chu said during a group interview with the Korean press during his visit to Seoul on Monday. 
“So I thought this would be interesting how we would interact with each other. But then he came in for a meeting and he spoke perfect English. There he talked about how he wanted the character to be more emotional and real. He wanted to create a rawer, rage-filled character rather than just a cartoon character. It was great. We could talk about the things below the surface.”
Lee Byung-hun is undoubtedly one of Korea’s most celebrated film stars, having starred in more than 40 films and TV drama series. He is noted for his strong presence and nuanced acting style. Though he appears as an action hero in the upcoming movie, his previous roles include an intelligence agent, an arrogant business man falling for an orphaned woman, and a Joseon-period jester who ends up standing in for his ill ruler. 
“I loved that he could be really strong and powerful but at the same time have a sense of humor about himself,” Chu said about Lee’s performance in Kim Jee-woon’s 2008 film “The Good, the Bad, the Weird,” where the actor appears as a villain. 
“I loved that you were scared of him but also felt for him. That combination was very rare for me because usually I think in American action movies you are either a villain or a hero. The in-betweens are tough. And what I loved about Lee Byung-hun’s performance in all these movies is that he plays the line very well. He plays it and goes back and forth. And that takes a real artist.”
The G.I. Joe films are based on American board game company Hasbro’s toy and cartoon series. Lee’s character, Storm Shadow, is a Japanese-American who used to serve in the U.S. Army’s special operations group. 
“He seems cold and cynical, mostly because of this traumatic experience he had in the past,” Lee said. “And there is this scene in the movie where he simply explodes with all the suppressed emotions. That’s one of the scenes that I considered the most important.”
“His acting style is very strong and he can be very intense,” said American pro-wrestler and actor Dwayne Johnson, who starred in the movie with Lee. The actor said he was unaware of Lee’s stardom in Asia until director Chu “educated him” about it. 
“One of the most impressive things about Lee is that he is a very, very disciplined actor who takes his job incredibly seriously. Even in our world of cosmic mythology, he brings a very nice way to perform (his role). I’m very impressed with the guy. A nice guy, too.” 
“G.I. Joe 2: Retaliation” opens in theaters on March 28. 

March 14, 2013
Lee Byung-hun is back with ‘G.I. Joe’ sequel
By Carla Sunwoo Korea JoongAng Daily

14211057.jpg
Storm Shadow (Lee Byung-hun) reveals his face for the first time in “G.I. Joe: Retaliation,” the long-anticipated sequel in which he plays a more significant role. Provided by Paramount Pictures
“G.I. Joe: Retaliation,” starring Korea’s pride and joy Lee Byung-hun alongside an A-list cast of Bruce Willis and Dwayne Johnson (aka “The Rock”), will be released March 28 to fans that have been patiently awaiting the sequel to the 2009 hit that grossed more than $300 million worldwide. 
Sienna Miller and Dennis Quaid are no longer part of the story, but fans of the action classic will be glad to know that Willis steps it up to give their money’s worth of fighting and explosions. 
There is rarely an action-free scene in the follow-up; in fact, there are so many bombs and guns going off that it is easy to lose sight of the plot. 
But this is perhaps what makes it an interesting 3-D feature. Adding a dimension caused the film’s opening to be delayed nine months because the higher-ups thought it would perform better abroad, according to TV and film Web site Screen Rant.
Shot on location at NASA’s Micoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans, the movie was directed by Jon M. Chu of the dance film franchise “Step Up.” 
Chu is an expert in movement, and his skill can clearly be seen in a film that sacrifices so much of the story line, not to mention sentiment, for emphasis on bulging muscles, nifty imagery and roundhouse kicks.
14211143.jpg
From left: Lee Byung-hun, D.J. Cotrona, Adrianne Palicki, Dwayne Johnson and John M. Chu appear at a press event for the film in Seoul.
Despite the lack of human interest, the home crowd can look forward to the larger role given to Storm Shadow, the lovable foe played by Lee. He does away with the ninja mask and reveals the story behind the baddie.
“In the second movie, I’m a lot more expressive,” Lee said at a press conference held on Monday for the film’s world premiere, which took place in Seoul of all places.
Joined by cast members Adrianne Palicki, D.J. Cotrona and Johnson as well as Chu, Lee was quick to point out his significance to the plot. 
“I speak a lot more and have a wider range of emotions,” said Lee, who confessed that it was hard work trying to portray a character through a ninja mask in the first film. “All that you saw were my eyes and movements.” 
Although essentially playing a character that is typecast for Asian actors, the 42-year-old Lee has really made a mark in Hollywood, landing a lead in a $185 million production. His feat is particularly impressive given that the actor was born and worked in Korea for most of his professional life. 
The Hollywood actors in turn said they were star struck by the actor referred to as “Byunsama” (“-sama” is an honorific in Japanese) throughout Asia. 
“To meet and work with someone like Lee was an honor and an experience,” said Palicki who plays the token sexy female, Lady Jaye. 
She added that Lee’s fame will surely catch on in Hollywood just as it has in Asia.
“I absolutely think he’ll do well in Hollywood. He’s sexy and talented,” Palicki explained. 
Meanwhile Johnson said that he also has a lot of respect for his Korean co-star’s physical preparation and strict exercise regime.
“His discipline as an actor is one of the greatest things about him,” said Johnson, a pro wrestler turned actor. “I’m a big believer in discipline and Lee Byung-hun.” 
Meanwhile Lee was quick to return the favor by heaping praise on his brawny co-star.
“He says that I’m disciplined, but really his whole life is about discipline,” said Lee, who admitted that he was ashamed of his size when next to the Hollywood heavyweight. 
Despite being the smaller man, for his part, Lee said he played the role of gracious host by showing the cast around town, helping them taste the real Korea, including “needless to say, soju.” 
As for the film’s potential at the box office, though, Lee said that was up to the fans. 
“Of course Korean films are in their prime at the moment,” said Lee. 
He is indeed at the top of his game at home. His latest domestic film “The Masquerade” pulled in 12.3 million viewers and took 15 of 22 prizes at the 49th Daejong Film Awards last year. 
“But still, I hope you’ll like my Hollywood movie,” Lee added between laughs, especially because fans will get to “see me close up.”
As if that wasn’t incentive enough, Chu drove the point home. 
“You get to see Lee Byung-hun’s abs in 3-D,” said the director, who is most certainly in a position to know. 

Archived