Reputation System Reform(ed)

orangeman

Hi all, many apologies for such a late response to this thread.

This topic had come up many times before, but I'd felt strongly about keeping the reputation system (with both positive & negative), and hoped that people would eventually figure out how to use it correctly and be the helpful tool it's meant to be.

However, after many discussions, we've decided to get rid of the negative rep points for the reasons many of you have listed - mostly because it inhibits people from being able to post freely.

We will keep the positive points (essentially "likes") because it's still a good way to see how many people like or appreciate a post.

Sorry again for being stubborn about it for so long - happy posting!

-soomp

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Malice_Kaiser

Hi all, many apologies for such a late response to this thread.

This topic had come up many times before, but I'd felt strongly about keeping the reputation system (with both positive & negative), and hoped that people would eventually figure out how to use it correctly and be the helpful tool it's meant to be.

However, after many discussions, we've decided to get rid of the negative rep points for the reasons many of you have listed - mostly because it inhibits people from being able to post freely.

We will keep the positive points (essentially "likes") because it's still a good way to see how many people like or appreciate a post.

Sorry again for being stubborn about it for so long - happy posting!

-soomp

Hey, no need to apologize! :) I think it's good you left it for a good long while to see if people got used to it. Sometimes backlash is because people just aren't used to the change, not because the change itself is bad...

Anyway, I actually liked the negative rep system too... Or rather, it didn't bother me. But this is alright too.

Guest jenifurs-x

Oh, I remember this thread early on.. and thought it was impossible to make the negative button to disappear but I guess it did now... ;)

Well, I would of voted 'No' as I always see the posters in the beauty section (From Ugly Duckling to Magnificent Swan and Uljjang Mania) getting negatives. I remember when I once got -14 for saying Park Bom was a great singer, and felt so hurt and bullied. Thank you Soompi for getting rid of it, though not it looks so weird with no negative button. Har har har

i like it.. i don't really use it very often unless I strongly like something or think that person's reply was stupid.... I like this feature because it shows how many other people like or dislike it without reading the entire thread.

Guest jonogunn

Bring back the negative rep button!

The rep system isn't something that should be taken seriously anyway. Sometimes certain posts just deserve negative posts. If anything, it draws more attention to why that post has so many negative points. It makes you want to read it just as much as you want to read the ones with positive points.

IMO, this forum is a little too soft.

There is another forum I frequently visit. A local Vancouver one.

It has a thank/fail system much like this reputation system. Only that i has a few more features.

Instead of just showing a number, it has a horizontal list of all the users that thank/failed you right under the post.

This especially helps in identifying anyone who abuses it as people will pick up on the user names.

Also, there is an option in the user profile to let you see all the posts that you were thank/failed in.

Most importantly, no one takes that system too seriously.

Personally, when I just feel like skimming through a thread, I usually scroll down looking for all the posts with lots of thanks or fails as they are obviously the ones that stick out most.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cinnemon

Haha I'm sure it's annoying of me to say it now, but I miss the minus button.

There are a lot of posts that get inflated positive reps now because they cater to the majority and no one who disagrees can make their mark... No it doesn't severely matter and it won't stay on my mind all day long, but it does make my eye twitch a little when I come across it.

I almost............ almost......... feel like if one button's gone, the other should be too. BUT, I do see the value of being able to ditto/commend/appreciate someone's post, and appreciate that staff is trying to accommodate users' wishes. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Instead of downvoting (or even upvoting), respond to the person directly. If you have issues, it's better to state them publicly so everyone can learn something instead of joining the mob. Maybe someone isn't as wrong or different as you perceive them to be and if they are truly terrible, ignore and forget. 

The voting system is childish.

Archived