Reputation System Reform(ed)

orangeman

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SuYinadmirer

I am kind of person who seldom talks or reply. That's why I vote up or down because if I were to say anything, I would be repeating the same thing a person said. No point, yes?

There are some parts of Soompi I am not allowed to post(20+ forum) but what else can I say other than neg or pos rep? LOL I CBB to post right now. But I'll continue to prove my point.

Perhaps someone who is a hater or posts annoying posts can be known so people won't treat them as seriously. Perhaps withdraw positive reputation scores, but not the reputation system. No point letting people see them.

There are some hilarious posts I see around, and I just have to press that (+). I also don't want to bump up an old topic that's probably been inactive for years. Annoying, wouldn't that be? But oh well, the system would probably be removed anyway.

>.<

Guest Starblazerbon

Its fine.

I get repped and negged time to time and it really haven't affected me all that much.

I don't see how it is disruptive if people simply ignores it.

I doubt it caused psychological harm to anyone here.

How about allowing Soompiers to view who is repping them?

I bet negative reps won't be given out so freely if people aren't shielded by anonymity  ;)

That's true (+1, by the way), but if it even is an option, it would need to fit somewhere as a list or as a link to a list. It would be somewhat inconvenient if it was possible.

Some forums have the option of a private list detailing each and every reputation point received, be it positive or negative. Their system usually requires a comment of some sort to be submitted.

I don't know if people are able to handle that level of transparency without creating backlash.There needs to be some sort of mechanism to prevent reputation points being handed out like candy on Halloween.

Guest touchofpink

Lol, if people aren't affected by the rep system as they say and it doesn't really matter to them, then just do away with the system. It has no impact on them so let the ones that do want it gone, to be gone. The rep system is there for what reason? Soompi has been fine without it and now, if people find problems with it, then why keep it? To those who say they're unaffected,, it shouldn't matter if the system is taken out so I don't know why they would care so much to want it intact.

Guest kobe23

Should just have a 'Thanks' button instead of '+/-'. That way we can still show our appreciation to those who have made good contributions to the thread, and eliminate any negative repping just because of differing opinions.

Guest SlicedBread

In systems like these, the only thing that sucks is when people use multiple accounts to vote you down, because it's anonymous.

However, I say 'Leave it like it is'. It's not like other systems where your post is hidden from view if it's got a lot of negative rep, or am I wrong ? I wouldn't let a negative rep on a post deflate my ego, if I believe what I say with conviction.

Maybe use a system similar to sites like Dailytech where they cap posts to 5 rep points max and a low of -1. Only mods can rep a post to the coveted "6" and only rarely. Also if you post in the thread, you cannot rep anymore and any you've done are nullified.

I think it should just be +1 and -1 as the absolute thresholds. Enough to give some form of public validation and not enough to cause any serious issues.

Or just do not display the numbers at all. When the post is neutral or portrayed as such, one really has to think about its value. They're less likely to be swayed by the mob or any other factor.

i actually like the system.

sometimes it helps distinguish against the trolls. :lol:

but maybe disable it on some subforums?

e.g. beauty & fashion

because i've noticed some people who posted in the duck to swan thread are being ( - ) because their transformation isn't to be of other soompier's expectations. (if that makes sense?)

Guest GloomyBear

Should just have a 'Thanks' button instead of '+/-'.

I thought about this as well. I usually rep people if I agree or find their post useful. But with regards to negative repping I think of it as just a way for people who show they disgree? I always think that with whatever you post on the internet, be prepared for backlash. Though some people do abuse it. I know on some forums, they limit the amount of times you can postive/negative rep someone in a row, so maybe that's something to consider as well?

Guest vulgar812

Eh, I don't really like the reputation system, but I guess it serves a purpose. For one, it allows people to voice their opinion without quoting an entire post just to reply with, "LOLZ I AGREE 10 CHARACTERS" (I hate it when they do that)

I do prefer a system where the poster can see who has repped them. Also, maybe reputations should require people to post a small comment explaining the reason.This will prevent people from tossing out red dots left and right.

Guest winterofdiscontent

I don't think there's anything wrong with the rep system. Sure, some people abuse it, but most Soompi members are sensible enough to give rep/take rep away where they feel it's appropriate.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived