[Drama 2011] My Love By My Side 내 사랑 내 곁에

s@nbi

• Replies 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case anyone who's sufficiently proficient in Korean to get at least some sense out of the raws is trying to follow this drama at the “cutting edge”, but couldn't believe their own ears at the episode 20 cliffhanger where we're currently poised, here's my translation of the cliffhanger exchange between SB and his ever-inventive Mama. No doubt there will be interesting reactions to this suggestion next week (we glimpsed two of them, from the Old Lady, then from YJ, in the teaser clip) and this looks like being a new major plot strand.

JEONG JA: The old lady is so devasted at being told the grandson she'd been searching for is dead that she's unable even to eat. Things mustn't go too far. [she means: they mustn't drive her into the grave by their scheming] And your uncle, even though your aunt's been dead seven years now, is still emotionally bruised and single.

So what I'm suggesting is... For the benefit of both of them… I'm suggesting you should be prepared to make a little sacrifice.

[CUE SINISTER MUSIC]

Supposing you and Yoon Jeong had a baby, and offered it for adoption to the old lady, your uncle and your aunt [WHAT? To the aunt who's been dead these seven years? Yup! A noted anthropologist once remarked that the true religion of Korea is not Buddhism, or Christianity or Confucianism, but shamanism. And in shamanistic belief and practice, the dead can marry and adopt just as the living can. Not that the law recognizes such marriages or adoptions, of course, But hey, this is Korea: who cares about the law?]

If you did that, the old lady and your uncle would become completely attached to that child. That way, even in the extremely unlikely event that the real grandson showed up later, they would be in a bind... [You bet they would: about 30 episodes worth of a bind, in my estimation] And whatever happened, we'd all live safely under the wing of the Jinseong business empire.

With the future of that business in mind, this seems to be the best solution all round. You and your wife could always have another child [=she means one they wouldn't give up for adoption]

SEOK BIN: Alright. I'm prepared to do that...

That's the proposal that we see her about to broach to the Old Lady at the cliffhanger itself.

In case anyone who's sufficiently proficient in Korean to get at least some sense out of the raws is trying to follow this drama at the “cutting edge”, but couldn't believe their own ears at the episode 20 cliffhanger where we're currently poised, here's my translation of the cliffhanger exchange between SB and his ever-inventive Mama. No doubt there will be interesting reactions to this suggestion next week (we glimpsed two of them, from the Old Lady, then from YJ, in the teaser clip) and this looks like being new major plot strand.

The old lady is so devasted at being told the grandson she'd been searching for is dead that she's unable even to eat. Things mustn't go too far. [she means: they mustn't drive her into the grave by their scheming]  And your uncle, even though your aunt's been dead seven years now, is still emotionally bruised and single.

So what I'm suggesting is... For the benefit of both of them… I'm suggesting you should be prepared to make a little sacrifice.

[CUE SINISTER MUSIC]

Supposing you and Yoon Jeong had a baby, and offered it for adoption to the old lady, your uncle and your aunt [WHAT? To the aunt who's been dead these seven years? Yup! A noted anthropologist once remarked that the true religion of Korea is not Buddhism, or Christianity or Confucianism, but shamanism. And in shamanistic belief and practice, the dead can marry and adopt just as the living can. Not that the law recognizes such marriages or adoptions, of course, But hey, this is Korea: who cares about the law?]  

If you did that, the old lady and your uncle would become completely attached to that child. That way, even in the extremely unlikely event that the real grandson showed up later, they would be in a bind... [You bet they would: about 30 episodes worth of a bind, in my estimation] And whatever happened, we'd all live safely under the wing of the Jinseong business empire.

With the future of that business in mind, this seems to be the best solution all round. You and your wife could always have another child [=she means one they wouldn't give up for adoption]

Alright, replies SB. I'm prepared to do that...

That's the proposal that we see her about to broach to the Old Lady at the cliffhanger itself.

Thank you for the translation. I've been a long-time lurker in this thread because the subs for this drama is too slow. I am a fan of this drama because of On Joo wan. I liked him eversince The Flying Boys and Mighty Princess. He's a good actor but so underrated and you could see he's doing well as Seok Bin, showing clear emotions on his face. I don't know if the idea is that he'll redeem himself  from his past irresponsible acts and get back with Do Mi Sol but definitely I'll feel sorry for the other guy.

Hope other people will get interested in this drama too so the english subs will come a lot faster.. Hwaiting!

Guest ixLoveXse7en

since it is already episode 20 and it is a weekend dramas, these can run for a while. i am assuming 50+ episodes.

i have been a silent lurker about this drama for a while now.

i originally wanted to see the drama but have been catching small clips here and there....

i like the cast and the storylines too.

am i the only one who wants SukBin and MiSol together? i know that SB is already married and what not but I feel that he has been under the microscope of his mother...MinSol is his first love and obviously cannot let go of her.

Does only SukBin's mother know that YoungWoong is SukBin's biological son?

Also it seems that since SB's wife and MiSol are friends now- that will complicate things even more!

nope i want them to be together also

Well the text previews for eps 21-2, now on the SBS site make no mention of the major development revealed in my spot translation of the last moments of ep20 in my earlier post, so there are no clues there. In fact the ep 21 "preview" is so uninformative that I won't dignify my summary of its contents by a spoiler tag. The entire text is dedicated to telling us, in the usual strangulated syntax the writers of these things employ, that MS and SR are standing waiting at a crosswalk in a downpour when a passing car splashes.... But heck, you can see that much in the teasers at the end of ep 20.

Incidentally, this scene will probably correct any misleading effects on innocent young Korean girls of the first episode in this drama, which revealed that as well as the well known Kdrama fact that holding hands with a boy can get you pregnant, hugging a boy who has wet hair can have similar life-changing consequences. This scene will reassure them that you're perfectly safe if your own hair is soaking wet at the time as well. Powerful stuff, that Korean rain.

There's a bit more substance in the ep 22 preview, though, so into spoiler mode

The second, more predictable and so less interesting "revelation" first. SB sees MS and SR happily walking along side by side and is furious and embittered. The image of how happy they looked together obsesses him, and in his fury he makes a phone call to someone. [We aren't told who that is, but it's a fair bet it will be one of those guys with large pockets in their black suit jackets for receiving cash-stuffed envelopes in return for dirty tricks.]

But, before that, we're told that SB's Mama tails her brother-in-law (the company President) and spots Yeong Woong (MS's kid) getting out of his car. She begins to suspect her brother-in-law is having an affair with Seon Ah (MS's Mom).

So that suggests some more juicy complications if she follows up that scent.

BTW, despite the determination of the editors on DarkSmurf to romanize the second syllable of the kid's name as "Hoon", that just won't do. There's a lot of room for disagreement and variation on romanization, which I personally thoroughly loathe in all its forms anyway, but Hoon as a romanization of 웅 [雄 in Hanja] in the kid's name really won't do, for a bunch of reasons. First off, no known system of romanization can produce that form from that Hangeul character. Secondly, Hoon sounds nothing like 웅 apart from the "oo" bit in the middle. Thirdly, and most importantly, Hoon is a commonly accepted romanization of 훈 which is a completely different name, so that form actually changes the kid's name (which incidentally means "hero", producing some untranslatable puns in the dialogue) instead of merely romanizing it.

The RR2000 system which the Korean government now imposes on people under its thumb (though most linguists outside Korea dislike it, and the current Korean President and his advisers are said to be unhappy about it, too) would give Ung for 웅, but many people find that ugly to look at, and English speakers would tend to produce the wrong sound for it as well. Oong gets closer to the right sound, without being much nicer to the eye. Hence the frequent addition of what is meant to be an only vaguely pronounced W to give Woong or Wung. I personally use Woong, in keeping with the giant pharma company 웅진케미칼 which uses Woongjin Chemical as its international name. If it's good enough for them...

sorry, don't know how to dl the pics

Well, I expect people don't mind just following the links you've kindly provided. I'm sure we're all grateful for the pointers.

Personally I prefer links to large embedded images because I sometimes browse here on my phone, and if I'm on 3G and I forget to disable graphics I get through about a month's data allowance before I know it.

But if you want to get at those images for your own personal use... You know you said someone taught you how to download the images from the SBS site? Well, the techniques you need to do likewise for Naver blogs are, shall we say, somewhat similar. You might want to experiment a bit. Not that I would dream of encouraging anyone to circumvent anti-downloading measures...

Well the text previews for eps 21-2, now on the SBS site make no mention of the major development revealed in my spot translation of the last moments of ep20 in my earlier post, so there are no clues there. In fact the ep 21 "preview" is so uninformative that I won't dignify my summary of its contents by a spoiler tag. The entire text is dedicated to telling us, in the usual strangulated syntax the writers of these things employ, that MS and SR are standing waiting at a crosswalk in a downpour when a passing car splashes.... But heck, you can see that much in the teasers at the end of ep 20.

Incidentally, this scene will probably correct any misleading effects on innocent young Korean girls of the first episode in this drama, which revealed that as well as the well known Kdrama fact that holding hands with a boy can get you pregnant, hugging a boy who has wet hair can have similar life-changing consequences. This scene will reassure them that you're perfectly safe if your own hair is soaking wet at the time as well. Powerful stuff, that Korean rain.

There's a bit more substance in the ep 22 preview, though, so into spoiler mode

The second, more predictable and so less interesting "revelation" first. SB sees MS and SR happily walking along side by side and is furious and embittered. The image of how happy they looked together obsesses him, and in his fury he makes a phone call to someone. [We aren't told who that is, but it's a fair bet it will be one of those guys with large pockets in their black suit jackets for receiving cash-stuffed envelopes in return for dirty tricks.]

But, before that, we're told that SB's Mama tails her brother-in-law (the company President) and spots Yeong Woong (MS's kid) getting out of his car. She begins to suspect her brother-in-law is having an affair with Seon Ah (MS's Mom).

So that suggests some more juicy complications if she follows up that scent.

BTW, despite the determination of the editors on DarkSmurf to romanize the second syllable of the kid's name as "Hoon", that just won't do. There's a lot of room for disagreement and variation on romanization, which I personally thoroughly loathe in all its forms anyway, but Hoon as a romanization of 웅 [雄 in Hanja] in the kid's name really won't do, for a bunch of reasons. First off, no known system of romanization can produce that form from that Hangeul character. Secondly, Hoon sounds nothing like 웅 apart from the "oo" bit in the middle. Thirdly, and most importantly, Hoon is a commonly accepted romanization of 훈 which is a completely different name, so that form actually changes the kid's name (which incidentally means "hero", producing some untranslatable puns in the dialogue) instead of merely romanizing it.

The RR2000 system which the Korean government now imposes on people under its thumb (though most linguists outside Korea dislike it, and the current Korean President and his advisers are said to be unhappy about it, too) would give Ung for 웅, but many people find that ugly to look at, and English speakers would tend to produce the wrong sound for it as well. Oong gets closer to the right sound, without being much nicer to the eye. Hence the frequent addition of what is meant to be an only vaguely pronounced W to give Woong or Wung. I personally use Woong, in keeping with the giant pharma company 웅진케미칼 which uses Woongjin Chemical as its international name. If it's good enough for them...

You know I love you right!! :wub: You worked so hard to translate/softsub " The Glass House" which had the worst ending possible for me but I would like to thank you for it anyways. And now here you are being our angel translator again. You are truly the bomb :D And you and AuntieMame crack me up with your witty wry humor.Back to our story: SB is so weak . SB left MS because his mama told him to yeah right!!!.SB was so overwhelmed at the consequences of his choice to sleep with MS he was afraid his future would be ruined so he left (putting the blame firmly on his Mother).What about MS? has he ever asked once did she give birth? from darksmurf's subs No he didn't. This weak willed rascal(SB) wants his cake and eat it too.What right does SB have to be jealous in the first place.? You move you lose buddy :) Now MS will finally find a good man. who truly loves her.And what a hottie too Did you see him with his shirt open/ YEEOOW !!!! all muscle not an ounce of fat so lovely teehee. There is nothing like a little eye candy On with the shower scenes hahaha But what amazes me the most is how greedy both mother and son are. Mother still wants to go see her grandson and son still wants to pursue an illicit relationship with MS. I am so glad SB's Mother told MS he was married before MS got herself in trouble again (even though I would not have tolerated water being thrown in my face) These good and pure Korean maidens are better than me... A woman I haven't seen for 7 years comes yelling and spewing lies at me and then has the nerve to throw water in my face No way!!! My Latin heritage would have at least allowed me to return the favor HA!. MS Leave that bum SB alone!!

What about MS? has he ever asked once did she give birth?

Tha'ts because his mother told him (back then) that MS had had an abortion, as he himself had said she should (and the instant he told her that, his chances went up in smoke for good, though he's too self-preoccupied to see it, either at the time or in retrospect). The writer makes it clear that

MS's temporary softening towards him (which of course disappears instantly and permanently the moment she finds out he's married) was mainly driven by her pangs of guilt towards her son for, as she sees it, depriving him of a father. It seemed to her for a moment that the sudden re-emergence of SB just at the moment when the kiddie was so upset about being fatherlessness was one of those Signals from Fate Koreans are so fond of searching for, telling her she ought to reconsider. That's why her planned "reconciliation date" with SB, despite the extra application of lipstick, was a visit to the amusement part to inaugurate the "family life" SB didn't know he was missing. And why, after bravely swallowing her shock and fury and converting the outing back to the Mom-only occasion which was all the boy had been expecting, she was heartbroken to see him looking longingly at the family she was photographing, stricken by the thought that the father she had considered presenting him with that very day was someone they were both better without.

However, I'm not too sure about the Alternative Candidate. He strikes me, with that All-American Can-Do grin of his, as a sort of amalgam between Superman and Buzz Lightyear. In fact, if you look at the jogging outfit he's wearing when

he comes to the rescue of MS's Mom (thoughtfully scooping her up in his arms to carry her to hospital, since the customary Korean-Japanese drama piggyback trip to the ER is a sure-fire way to induce instantly fatal peritonitis in someone with acute appendicitis)

it does look rather like Buzz Lightyear's tunic might come out if it was made of polyester instead of self-colored polyeurethane and had been washed on the wrong program for too long. I get a feeling the guy's being set up for an episode 49 "thank you for everything, but sorry... and goodbye" sisterly hug and the long walk with his wanderer's backpack into the sunset glow. A bit like in Spring Waltz. Though at least in this drama, the mid-Pacific hunk is a reasonable actor, and speaks intelligible Korean AND good English, unlike his counterpart in that earlier weepfest.

Tha'ts because his mother told him (back then) that MS had had an abortion, as he himself had said she should (and the instant he told her that, his chances went up in smoke for good, though he's too self-preoccupied to see it, either at the time or in retrospect). The writer makes it clear that

MS's temporary softening towards him (which of course disappears instantly and permanently the moment she finds out he's married) was mainly driven by her pangs of guilt towards her son for, as she sees it, depriving him of a father. It seemed to her for a moment that the sudden re-emergence of SB just at the moment when the kiddie was so upset about being fatherlessness was one of those Signals from Fate Koreans are so fond of searching for, telling her she ought to reconsider. That's why her planned "reconciliation date" with SB, despite the extra application of lipstick, was a visit to the amusement part to inaugurate the "family life" SB didn't know he was missing. And why, after bravely swallowing her shock and fury and converting the outing back to the Mom-only occasion which was all the boy had been expecting, she was heartbroken to see him looking longingly at the family she was photographing, stricken by the thought that the father she had considered presenting him with that very day was someone they were both better without.

However, I'm not too sure about the Alternative Candidate. He strikes me, with that All-American Can-Do grin of his, as a sort of amalgam between Superman and Buzz Lightyear. In fact, if you look at the jogging outfit he's wearing when

he comes to the rescue of MS's Mom (thoughtfully scooping her up in his arms to carry her to hospital, since the customary Korean-Japanese drama piggyback trip to the ER is a sure-fire way to induce instantly fatal peritonitis in someone with acute appendicitis)

it does look rather like Buzz Lightyear's tunic might come out if it was made of polyester instead of self-colored polyeurethane and had been washed on the wrong program for too long. I get a feeling the guy's being set up for an episode 49 "thank you for everything, but sorry... and goodbye" sisterly hug and the long walk with his wanderer's backpack into the sunset glow. A bit like in Spring Waltz. Though at least in this drama, the mid-Pacific hunk is a reasonable actor, and speaks intelligible Korean AND good English, unlike his counterpart in that earlier weepfest.

Oh, Now I get it. Leave it to good old mom to lie to help her son's future. Everyone else be dam**d All I understood was MS bolted out of the hospital like it was on fire.But self preoccupied is totally the right word to describe SB. I had a good chuckle about Buzz light year and you know what you are kind of right. He reminds me of of Dudley do right ( the rocky and bullwinkle show) even though he is kind of sappy I still like his uber cheerful attitude. Maybe it is because I saw his abs I am certainly an abs kind of gal lol BTW thanks for the clarification.

Just a few notes about the darksmurf subs for this drama, the only English ones available as far as I can see.

I have serious doubts about the whole business of translating via c-subs (which is what the DSS system is based on, of course) no matter how good the c-subs are. That's mainly to do with the very different ways that Korean and Chinese go about expressing (and, more importantly still, implying) things.

Although a skilled translator can certainly get the sense of Korean dialogue into Chinese, trying to recover the nuances and tone of the Korean original back into English from the Chinese without reference to the Korean is very tricky indeed, and a lot tends to get lost, no matter how much effort the English translators and editors put into it.

Things get even more problematic where the c-subs themselves are somewhat uneven in accuracy, as seems to be the case with the ones being used for this drama. When you then add in the fact that the DSS system relies on an initial machine translation of those c-subs into English (of sorts) which the teams then work on to produce a better translation (most of them however working only from the c-subs, not from the Korean soundtrack, and some of them hampered by a limited grasp of the more challenging points of English style and idiom because they aren't native speakers) the scope for omission and distortion of important parts of the Korean grows a lot bigger. This applies to a number of dramas on DSS, not just this one, and it's not an adverse reflection on the efforts and dedication of the contributors. It's just that they have a steeply uphill struggle compared with, say Viki where working from the Korean is the norm (though Viki has a whole load of other problems from which DS is refreshingly free, and people who can go straight from Korean to English are rather thinner on the ground than those with a decent knowledge of Chinese).

However, in view of the fact that for this drama the DSS softsubs look like the only hope for people who can't follow Korean raws or read the c-subbed versions, I decided to take a look at what the DSS subs are like.

Eps 1-12 were already marked as substantially complete. I haven't had the time to look at the subs for those eps in any detail, though my eye did fall on a few problem spots in ep 12 especially, which I've tried to fix.

I've just now finished going through ep 13 and making rather a lot of changes to existing translated and edited subs as well filling in some so far untranslated ones. I hope the DSS subs for that episode will now let people have a better sense of the finer points of characterization and situation, and I'd advise anyone who's tried watching ep 13 with earlier versions of those subs to go to the DSS server and fetch the current version before rewatching. I've also done some work, though not so extensively yet, on the subs for eps 14 and 15. As and when I get time over the coming weeks, I will revisit 14, 15 and subsequent episodes as well, doing what I can.in the time I can set aside.

However, to avoid disappointment, as they say in the ads, I should point out that I won't try to sub the lines of the obligatory Annoying Brigade, who are sadly rather too numerous and time-grabbing for my taste in this drama. I may steel myself to occasionally sub the stupidities of the guy supplying the mandatory Embarrassingly Feckless Family Member (EFFM) role, namely MS's uncle, but only as and when he interacts plot-significantly with his niece and/or sister, not in his tedious and totally implausible cavorting with Ugly Betty (who, like the original Ugly Betty, has no “ugliness” that a modest investment in contact lenses or even a mid-price pair of spectacle frames suitable to her face shape wouldn't fix), and I will likewise stay well clear of the scenes involving Ugly Betty's Mama, whose scheming lacks any of the amusing inventiveness of SB's mother. So I'll be skipping large stretches of dialogue, and it will depend on other DSS contributors what happens to those parts. Added to which, I never, ever, sub the post-episode teasers of any drama. Life's too short (especially at my relatively advanced age) and Kdramas are too long and plentiful for that.

Just a few notes about the darksmurf subs for this drama, the only English ones available as far as I can see.

I have serious doubts about the whole business of translating via c-subs (which is what the DSS system is based on, of course) no matter how good the c-subs are. That's mainly to do with the very different ways that Korean and Chinese go about expressing (and, more importantly still, implying) things.

Although a skilled translator can certainly get the sense of Korean dialogue into Chinese, trying to recover the nuances and tone of the Korean original back into English from the Chinese without reference to the Korean is very tricky indeed, and a lot tends to get lost, no matter how much effort the English translators and editors put into it.

Things get even more problematic where the c-subs themselves are somewhat uneven in accuracy, as seems to be the case with the ones being used for this drama. When you then add in the fact that the DSS system relies on an initial machine translation of those c-subs into English (of sorts) which the teams then work on to produce a better translation (most of them however working only from the c-subs, not from the Korean soundtrack, and some of them hampered by a limited grasp of the more challenging points of English style and idiom because they aren't native speakers) the scope for omission and distortion of important parts of the Korean grows a lot bigger. This applies to a number of dramas on DSS, not just this one, and it's not an adverse reflection on the efforts and dedication of the contributors. It's just that they have a steeply uphill struggle compared with, say Viki where working from the Korean is the norm (though Viki has a whole load of other problems from which DS is refreshingly free, and people who can go straight from Korean to English are rather thinner on the ground than those with a decent knowledge of Chinese).

However, in view of the fact that for this drama the DSS softsubs look like the only hope for people who can't follow Korean raws or read the c-subbed versions, I decided to take a look at what the DSS subs are like.

Eps 1-12 were already marked as substantially complete. I haven't had the time to look at the subs for those eps in any detail, though my eye did fall on a few problem spots in ep 12 especially, which I've tried to fix.

I've just now finished going through ep 13 and making rather a lot of changes to existing translated and edited subs as well filling in some so far untranslated ones. I hope the DSS subs for that episode will now let people have a better sense of the finer points of characterization and situation, and I'd advise anyone who's tried watching ep 13 with earlier versions of those subs to go to the DSS server and fetch the current version before rewatching. I've also done some work, though not so extensively yet, on the subs for eps 14 and 15. As and when I get time over the coming weeks, I will revisit 14, 15 and subsequent episodes as well, doing what I can.in the time I can set aside.

However, to avoid disappointment, as they say in the ads, I should point out that I won't try to sub the lines of the obligatory Annoying Brigade, who are sadly rather too numerous and time-grabbing for my taste in this drama. I may steel myself to occasionally sub the stupidities of the guy supplying the mandatory Embarrassingly Feckless Family Member (EFFM) role, namely MS's uncle, but only as and when he interacts plot-significantly with his niece and/or sister, not in his tedious and totally implausible cavorting with Ugly Betty (who, like the original Ugly Betty, has no “ugliness” that a modest investment in contact lenses or even a mid-price pair of spectacle frames suitable to her face shape wouldn't fix), and I will likewise stay well clear of the scenes involving Ugly Betty's Mama, whose scheming lacks any of the amusing inventiveness of SB's mother. So I'll be skipping large stretches of dialogue, and it will depend on other DSS contributors what happens to those parts. Added to which, I never, ever, sub the post-episode teasers of any drama. Life's too short (especially at my relatively advanced age) and Kdramas are too long and plentiful for that.

Well, all I can do is bow down baduy' and thank your translation angel self :) I do understand your point though. Based on the translators knowledge of the language/nuances it gives us a a much richer meaning. Sometimes darksmurfs subs are hard for me to understand(even though I GREATLY appreciate the subs) I also realize the Korean culture uses puns or play on words to get some of the finer points across .And a translator that does not have the deep understanding (that you thankfully do) would leave Korean language dullards like myself out in the cold, left wondering what in the heck is going on. So, that being said I would like to thank you very much once again. :wub: I am going to re-download the earlier episodes to get a better understanding. And please by no means sub the conversation from Ugly Betty's Mama or the just taking up space love birds. Love your sense of humor THANK YOU!!! : :)

since it is already episode 20 and it is a weekend dramas, these can run for a while. i am assuming 50+ episodes.

i have been a silent lurker about this drama for a while now.

i originally wanted to see the drama but have been catching small clips here and there....

i like the cast and the storylines too.

am i the only one who wants SukBin and MiSol together? i know that SB is already married and what not but I feel that he has been under the microscope of his mother...MinSol is his first love and obviously cannot let go of her.

Does only SukBin's mother know that YoungWoong is SukBin's biological son?

Also it seems that since SB's wife and MiSol are friends now- that will complicate things even more!

Yes, the mother is the only one besides MS that knows

MS has never asked about the baby, I know his mother told him she had the abortion, but his class mates also told him how her pregnancy was exposed at school and this was after he left. So why wouldn't he confirm it. Why is the first thing he does after seeking her out is hand her an envelope of money for her inconvenience. His mother didn't tell him to do that.There is a weakness in SB character, he is a combination of his mother and father. Greed from the mother and philandering from the father.

Since Kdrama's are always talking about fate, MS and RS were fated from the day he saved her from those hooligans.He was never able to meet her and return her diary because it was not time for their journey to begin.RS is the man because he would never choose that company over MS and HY. 

Forgive my ramblings i do that from time to time.

I know greed has no bounds but I'm not sure what SB mom is hoping for, that the gma leave the business to SB and cut out the uncle or that the uncle will inherit and name SB as his successor.She is not looking for money for her self just want's to insure they can always live in the house. I think SB and his wife will not be able to have kids and they will come after HY. That plan from the previous spoiler sounds to iffy. The mother is not taking into account that Gma nor the uncle might not go for it.

I know greed has no bounds but I'm not sure what SB mom is hoping for, that the gma leave the business to SB and cut out the uncle or that the uncle will inherit and name SB as his successor.She is not looking for money for her self just want's to insure they can always live in the house. I think SB and his wife will not be able to have kids and they will come after HY. That plan from the previous spoiler sounds to iffy. The mother is not taking into account that Gma nor the uncle might not go for it.

But let's not blacken SB's mother's character too much (She does quite a good job of exposing her own ample villainous streak already). She's basically just an archetypical Kdrama Mother. Meaning she will do anything and everything to make sure her darling son gets to the top, even if that means pushing her friend's kid way down to the bottom. I don't think she has any notion, so far, of displacing her brother-in-law (though that may change if,

as the teaser preview for 22 suggests, she gets the notion that he's in a relationship with MS's mother). It's actually SB himself who, unbeknown to his mother at this stage, is laying plans to push his Uncle aside and re-invent the company in his own American big business style image, plans which for now SR has thwarted, thus gaining the attention and the trust of SB's uncle -- and promotion to his private secretary -- in the process.

His ambition, unlike his mother's is, massively and purely egotistical from top to bottom, without the mitigating factor his mother could claim of acting in what she thought was the right way for a mother to behave, though obviously she wants to benefit herself from her son's success as well, what mother wouldn't?

Despite the impression some people understandably got from the raws,

she had no notion of fatally poisoning the old lady. The double dose of laxatives was just meant to produce a temporary confinement to quarters to prevent her meeting the supposed conveyor of info about her lost grandson in person. And there's no reason to doubt that she at least partly meant it when she told SB at the 20/21 cliffhanger that they mustn't drive the old lady to her death by their scheming. She's quite content to let the ageing process do that naturally, provided the right documents are all in place to govern the inheritance when the time comes.

What gives her the idea about

the "sacrificial" spirit adoption of a child not yet conceived, let alone born, is what she overheard the old lady saying to her dead daughter at the memorial hall. The old lady says there she is now reconciled to her daughter's death, and in a strange sense even happy about it. She had thought it was simply another cruel blow from fate and so resented it, but now that she "knows" her grandson is long-since dead as well, she believes that it was in fact a kindly destiny that allowed the mother, immediately after she discovered the truth about her child, to be immediately re-united with that child in the afterlife, instead of suffering the years of anguished searching for him that her mother has gone through. So the ever-inventive eavesdropper hits on the idea of boosting her late sister-in-law's otherwordly family life by offering her an adoptive earthly child as well, to be provided by DS and his wife on Mommy's demand. It is indeed hard to imagine the old lady jumping at the chance, and the teaser clip suggest she does indeed jump, but it a rather different way. And a more serious obstable, also hinted at in the teaser clip is the daughter-in-law's reaction on being nominated as a baby factory just when she is re-establishing herself in her career as a broadcaster, and entertaining increasingly serious doubts about whether she married the right guy.

I'm harping on about the maternal "mitigation" for her misdeeds partly to stress that she doesn't have her son's apparent utterly unscrupulous ruthlessness, but also because there's a link here with MS's mother. The moment when I decided this drama was worth getting into, for now at least, was the wonderful scene where

MS comes home late, es ever, from studying, goes to give her sleeping child the goodnight caress without which she can't sleep herself, and discovers to her alarm that his arm is in a sling. She turns on her mother in a mixture of dismay and fury, which is only heightened when her mother says, as if it were a mere trifle, that he'd been in a traffic accident. ["Traffic accident" is a word that sends a chill down every mother's spine the world over, but nowhere more so than in South Korea, which ever since the OECD started producing statistics on such matters, has been in the top three places among industrialized nations not only for road accidents in general, but for road accident fatalities to children. (Last time I looked it was at #2 in that grim table, just a little behind Poland).] MS is upset enough that her mother didn't contact her immediately and fetch her to the hospital, but she's even more distraught when her mother exuses herself by saying she kept quiet because she didn't want MS to be distracted from her studies with her crucial examination looming. It dawns on MS that, thanks to the subterfuge she's been obliged to resort to over her child's parentage, her child has been deprived, not only of a father, but in a sense of a mother, too. Because, as her Mom angrily admits herself when forced to, to her Mom, MS's exam results come before her grandson's injured arm, an order of priorities MS, as the child's real mother, finds intolerable, even though she has to accept the it's just her Mom being a (Korean) Mom to her daughter the best way she knows

Thank you Baduy very much, I saw you did a great contribution on DSS for this drama. The speed of releasing subs is faster and the quality of the subs is higher. It's true that sometimes translators and editors of DSS don't understand clearly Korean and Chinese translated version too. Therefore, they have to base on the scenes to translate sometimes. I hope to see more people like you subbing this drama and we will catch up with the schedule.

Thanks baduy. 

I'll be honest. I look forward to your posting for the lessons in Korean culture and the 'word for today'.  At first I was getting a little sad not finding a Korean word for today but was happily surprise when I found the English word for today tongue.gif 

"It dawns on MS that, thanks to the subterfuge she's been obliged to resort to over her child's parentage, her child has been deprived, not only of a father, but in a sense of a mother, too."

subterfuge 

- something intended to misrepresent the true nature of an activity; "he wasn't sick--it was just a subterfuge"; "the holding company was just a blind" 

a misleading falsehood 

Thanks! biggrin.gif

Actually, the OED definition is even more to the point where this drama is concerned

"An artifice or device to which a person resorts in order to escape the force of an argument, to avoid condemnation or censure, or to justify his conduct; an evasion or shift"

I've just finished subbing and/or editing on DSS the parts of ep 14 I don't find annoying, so if anyone is happy to press ahead with following the main parts and leave the rest till later, they can fetch themselves the latest version of the ep 14 DSS softsubs from the DSS server now.

Archived