[Drama 2011] New Tales of the Gisaeng 신기생뎐

Guest fanda4000

no i really do think Damo really did want to "sleep" with her. but there is something innocent about this crude behavior. he didn't think that it could upset her and make her feel cheap as much as it did. he just saw the hotel and the impulse in him told him to go there with Saran. it is different than plotting and planning and intentionally lead the events to end there.

maybe i am not thinking straight, but i don't believe he was testing her. his act was childish and crude, but innocent. though i know it sounds very much an oxymoron either way. i guess i want to say it was instinctive, not pretentious.

am i the only one who saw it this way?

Q_Park

i read that the writer didn't allow them to post too much info on synopsis and previews.

p.s. a lot of Korean audience are upset about the hotel scene saying Damo's arrogance and conceited behavior is too much for a weekend drama. the official board has so much anger. ><

When he asked if she was being innocent or just acting innocent...

... I think writer Im was having a "tongue in cheek" moment. :)

I agree that Da-Mo was being "innocent" ... in a western mode of thinking.

Or perhaps it is a play or traditional and modern thinking/behaviors.

Da-Mo was acting like a young adult in modern Korea...

... Sa-Ran was reacting like a proper traditional woman.

It was a mis-understanding...

But I think writer Im is playing to the different expectations of the audience... and twitting us. :)

It's like she's saying...

This is a built-in mis-understanding

... when we live in different generations and cultures...

... while residing in the same world.

She seems to be saying ...

"I'm writing about the dichotomy of values in an ever changing culture."

"My themes and plots is basically an Oxy... Moron!". :):D:o LOL

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone. I hope this drama doesnt drag so much, from reading the past couple pages. It seems very interesting. I'm watching episode 2 right now, and can someone explain what giseng and the purpose of a giseng house is? I googled it but I'm getting the herb or some weird results.

Hi everyone. I hope this drama doesnt drag so much, from reading the past couple pages. It seems very interesting. I'm watching episode 2 right now, and can someone explain what giseng and the purpose of a giseng house is? I googled it but I'm getting the herb or some weird results.

http://ampontan.wordpress.com/2007/02/19/gisaeng-koreas-version-of-the-geisha/

Google "Geisha" then "Korean Geisha".

The combination should give you a good idea of the role of a Gisaeng; both traditional and modern.

http://ampontan.wordpress.com/2007/02/19/gisaeng-koreas-version-of-the-geisha/

Google "Geisha" then "Korean Geisha".

The combination should give you a good idea of the role of a Gisaeng; both traditional and modern.

Thank you so much =).

I think its cause you spelled the word wrong, its Gisaeng instead of giseng!

Guest kawaiiyuki

from the screen caps looks like things are going to pick up.

Since there are so many characters i'm rewatching the episodes that are out and trying to remember their names besides (dm.sr and rr)

Wow, did expect the koran forum to the mad about what DM did at the end of epi 5. Yes i do agree what he said/did was 'western' thinking... and the writer might have been trying to show how different dm and sr's worlds are by their dialog.

Personally i'm just glad he didn't drive off like other k-drama male leads would have.

Guest zingsharon

no i really do think Damo really did want to "sleep" with her. but there is something innocent about this crude behavior. he didn't think that it could upset her and make her feel cheap as much as it did. he just saw the hotel and the impulse in him told him to go there with Saran. it is different than plotting and planning and intentionally lead the events to end there.

maybe i am not thinking straight, but i don't believe he was testing her. his act was childish and crude, but innocent. though i know it sounds very much an oxymoron either way. i guess i want to say it was instinctive, not pretentious.

am i the only one who saw it this way?

Q_Park

i read that the writer didn't allow them to post too much info on synopsis and previews.

p.s. a lot of Korean audience are upset about the hotel scene saying Damo's arrogance and conceited behavior is too much for a weekend drama. the official board has so much anger. ><

i feel the same way too

i think damo is really wanna sleep with her just like other modern guys that wanna have one night stand

maybe he really feels like, saran did give him signs

but this is not jz about one night stand but just a normal act like some foreign guys with open mind

i love how he wanna apologize and ready to bend his knees

he is like a kid who just knows his own mistake and wanna say sorry to his mum lol

Guest Trina987

hrmm... by watching episode 6 raw link?? Why are those two guys follow SR.... Do they want to kidnap her??? Are they trying to find more about her from someone else?? and who is that someone want to know where she live?? Also, does that giesha know the secret about the head Kitchen lady???? Soo many questions in this episode 6.... :blink::wacko::crazy:

hrmm... by watching episode 6 raw link?? Why are those two guys follow SR.... Do they want to kidnap her??? Are they trying to find more about her from someone else?? and who is that someone want to know where she live?? Also, does that giesha know the secret about the head Kitchen lady???? Soo  many questions in this episode 6....  :blink: :wacko: :crazy:

The two guys following Sa-ran were actually hired by Sa-ran's mother's friend. In episode 5, Sa-ran's mother memorized Da-mo's license plate number and asked her friend to track it to see who it belongs to. When she found out that it was Da-mo's, she asked her friend to watch Sa-ran and see if they are really dating. So those two guys are just trying to figure out if Sa-ran and Da-mo are dating each other.

- Kyu

i feel the same way too

i think damo is really wanna sleep with her just like other modern guys that wanna have one night stand

maybe he really feels like, saran did give him signs

but this is not jz about one night stand but just a normal act like some foreign guys with open mind

i love how he wanna apologize and ready to bend his knees

he is like a kid who just knows his own mistake and wanna say sorry to his mum lol

yea dm definitely expected to sleep with her. the people translating are being too literal with the term 안다. in the literal sense, it can mean "to hug," but in some contexts, koreans use it (and the context in which dm uses it) to mean more like "to hold" someone, thus a euphemism for sex. a lot of stuff gets lost in translation, which is why people tend to be confused when they don't know the korean language or korean culture. sorry to break everyone's bubble about dm.

but what i noticed from writer im's writing is that she is very in tune w/ the slang young koreans use these days. usually her main characters in her other dramas were early 30's, but here she's portraying a mid-late 20's couple and i love that she's written them to talk/act just as how young korean adults act today.

When he asked if she was being innocent or just acting innocent...

...  I think writer Im was having a "tongue in cheek" moment. :)

I agree that Da-Mo was being "innocent" ... in a western mode of thinking.

Or perhaps it is a play or traditional and modern thinking/behaviors.

Da-Mo was acting like a young adult in modern Korea...

... Sa-Ran was reacting like a proper traditional woman.

It was a mis-understanding...

But I think writer Im is playing to the different expectations of the audience... and twitting us. :)

It's like she's saying...

This is a built-in mis-understanding

... when we live in different generations and cultures...

... while residing in the same world.

She seems to be saying ...

"I'm writing about the dichotomy of values in an ever changing culture."

"My themes and plots is basically an Oxy... Moron!". :):D:o LOL

I agree with you.  I think the central theme of this drama is exactly as you've described it.  From the title of the drama, I've been wondering if the "New Tales..." will replicate the 'Old Tales'.  Or, will the 'new tales' completely reverse the 'old tales'.  Or, will it be a mix of old and new, given the changing society.   :huh:

And, that dichotomy may be exemplified by the DM character.  I agree that DM wanted to have sex with SR; not just to test her.  Even though he drove to the hotel, on an impulse, his primary thought was for himself and what he wanted to do.  He didn't think of how SR might feel.  If he had any consideration or respect for SR, he would have thought first before driving in there.   He didn't think of it as a mistake until SR blasted him about it.  Then, he said it was a 'misunderstanding'.  But, what was there to 'misunderstand', especially when he asked if she was really innocent or just acting innocent?  -_-

So, SR was correct in saying that he 'looked down on her'.  But, his views are not limited to SR.  He probably sees women, in general, as a step behind or below men.  (Assuming that he even gives women that much thought.)  It would seem that we have a 'male chauvinist pig', in gen-x/y clothing.  Along with his statement that he doesn't want a wife, just someone, who excels in grace and manners, that he can go to when he's bored, he may be of the younger generation, but, he has the mentality of the older generation regarding women.  And, that's one dichotomy. :phew:

Guest dramaok

the title can also be either "new tales of the gisaeng" or "tales of the new gisaeng"...

well Da Mo is andre's brother. a dog is a dog. ^^

btw that dog who plays andre is really cute and acts on cue.

WHERE IS KYLE?

yea dm definitely expected to sleep with her. the people translating are being too literal with the term 안다. in the literal sense, it can mean "to hug," but in some contexts, koreans use it (and the context in which dm uses it) to mean more like "to hold" someone, thus a euphemism for sex. a lot of stuff gets lost in translation, which is why people tend to be confused when they don't know the korean language or korean culture. sorry to break everyone's bubble about dm.

but what i noticed from writer im's writing is that she is very in tune w/ the slang young koreans use these days. usually her main characters in her other dramas were early 30's, but here she's portraying a mid-late 20's couple and i love that she's written them to talk/act just as how young korean adults act today.

That's what I like about writer Im's work!

She likes to use language in muli-level ... multi-cultural ... context communication.

The literals are easier to understand and "get".

I feel like she using Ah Da-Mo's words in a French euphemism also.

Ah Da-Mo is essentially a French name...

... and the French euphemism of "embrace" is almost in commonplace usage for "sex".

... so "hug" is the literal PG-13, and the euphemism is NC-17+ to titillate the rest of us. :):D:o

I like writer Im's weaving of themes and plots like a novel.

A lot of K-Drama writers don't incorporate those subtleties into their dramas. :)

Guest laceytam

theres a scene i dont understand

when damo follow saran and stops at the elevator he ask her what she wants and she say to date or start to date

what does it mean ?

theres a scene i dont understand

when damo follow saran and stops at the elevator he ask her what she wants and she say to date or start to date

what does it mean ?

He stops the elevator and asks her what she wants and she tells him that she wants for them to date officially. However, as the scene fades out, we figure out that that was just Da-mo's imagination acting up again. In reality, she tells him to let her go up. 

- Kyu

So it seems from the preview that Da Mo is trying to pursue Sa Ran but she's keeping him at arm's length.. What was said between them? It seems like DM takes the initiative next week and goes to SR's house. Is it really DM knocking on the door in the middle of the night or are the previews misleading us to believe so?

Guest Trina987

The two guys following Sa-ran were actually hired by Sa-ran's mother's friend. In episode 5, Sa-ran's mother memorized Da-mo's license plate number and asked her friend to track it to see who it belongs to. When she found out that it was Da-mo's, she asked her friend to watch Sa-ran and see if they are really dating. So those two guys are just trying to figure out if Sa-ran and Da-mo are dating each other.

- Kyu

thank you... hrmm.. did not know the step mother have friends like that... I do hope the ending is better than AG even though we have a long way to go to the final episode... Also, I do hope writer Im will do a lot better with Kyle character too.... By the way, not sure what kind of kdrama this is... is it melodrama, rom-com, family drama or what?? Does anyone know what kind of drama this is????

Archived